You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

• "Bells" started this thread
  • United Kingdom

Monday, June 11th 2007, 3:06pm

Hospital Bag List

To save you trawling through the site or other threads here is a list of things which you MAY want to include in your hospital bag. I appreciate that it's pretty long and you may need several suitcases to fit it all in so do remember that you don't have to take ALL of this stuff if you don't think you'll need it.....:D As more suggestions come up I'll edit this initial list so that it's always easy to read/print off.

For You
Nightie for labouring (cheap and cheerful, likely to be blood/wee/poo/amniotic fluid covered - Matalan £3 night shirts are ideal)Nice Nighties (pref with buttons for feeding)
Dressing gownSlippersWarm socks (in case your feet get cold during labour)
1 or 2 x packs of Always Nightime (these are extra long pads)
1x pack of breastpads
2 x packs of disposable knickers (you either love 'em or hate 'em! but I liked to go to the loo, wash and chuck the knickers and pad in the bin)
12 x Normal knickers (if that's your preference)
Flannel (cold for cooling sweaty brows during labour or hot to lay over achey backs/tums )
Straws for drinking between contractions
Lip Balm Moisturiser
Shampoo
Conditioner
Body wash
Sponge/Body Mop/Flannel
ToothbrushToothpaste
RazorBrush/Comb
Make up (not essential but nice for pictures after birth :D )Bobbles/clips/headbands
Flip Flops for showers (not essential)
Lansinoh Nipple cream (quite expensive at £10 per tube so maybe take your hubby to Boots and show him where it is in case you need any of it)

Magicool spray (godsend for Chilli!)

1 x Large Towel (dark colour for showering, may get blood on it)
1x Small Towel (for your hands/face/hair)
Plastic jug (to pour tepid water over yourself during or after every wee, keeps the area nice and clean, takes the sting out of weeing after a tear or graze)
Kitchen Roll (to pat yourself dry after washing yourself as above. easier, more hygenic and less messy than using a towel)

For Baby
Cotton Wool Pleat or large discs (balls are too small when wiping massive sticky poos)
Baby Bath/Wash (not essential, can make some babies spotty/rashy)
Talc (not essential, matter of choice)
6 x All in one suits
6 x VestsScratch mits (unless you have the sleepsuits with hands in from Matalan)
Cardi
Blanket
Pack Newborn Nappies Pack Nappy Sacks (not essential)
Baby Wipes (not essential, can give some babies spotty botties and encourage rashes)
Dummies (not essential)
Teddy (ahhhhh :D )
Outfit to come home in
Hat to come home in

For DH/DP
Does DH know the way to hospital? If not entirely familiar then a map of the area in case of roadworks, diversions or other unforseen circumstances. Also handy if DH isn't the one taking you to the hospital in the end :8o: :D.
Money (might as well get him used to being a Dad eh? :D )
Magazine or bookWater/Juice/Pop
Something to eat that's not chocolate, a savoury snack to keep his energy levels up.
Mobile PhoneCamera
Ipod (to drown out your screams.... kidding!!! :D )
A few toiletries if he's planning on staying for the long haul.
Clean tshirt/boxers/socksA list of your important numbers to phone after the birth.

Extras
Wet Wipes
Antibacterial Hand Gel
Antibac wipes (for loo seats)
Disposable Camera (just in case you leave your digi cam at home or your batteries conk)
NotepadPhone numbers
£5 in change
Pen
Crisps/carbo/salty snacks
Mars Bar
Polos
Boiled Sweets
Pack Tissues
Bottled Water
Announcement cards/stamps
Address Book
Magazine (no time to get into a book between contractions/feeds)
Salt and Pepper Sachets, Ketchup or anything you can't live without.
Carrier bags for dirty washing
Travel Clock
Mobile Phone
Phone Numbers
Bottles/Milk/Bibs if that's your chosen method.

Car seat at the ready

KIRSTY G

Reg: Sep 27th 2006

Children: 7 year old little man, and B/G twins

Monday, June 11th 2007, 3:08pm

RE: Hospital Bag List

Marry me Bells?

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

• United Kingdom

Monday, June 11th 2007, 3:27pm

mmmmmm Could do if we were that way inclined :pout

KIRSTY G

Reg: Sep 27th 2006

Children: 7 year old little man, and B/G twins

Monday, June 11th 2007, 3:29pm

Shame ... and we would be such a perfect match pah

Reg: Oct 10th 2005

Monday, June 11th 2007, 4:28pm

Bells

Thank you !!! Theres loads on that list that wasn't on my original one.

blowkiss

Caz xx

Me 39, DH 39 ICSI Nov '06 BFP

FET Dec '10 - ET Dec 16th - Test Day 31/12/10

Torisen

Reg: Jan 1st 2006

Monday, June 11th 2007, 5:46pm

Bells, could you come and pack my bag if I ever go on a vacation?
I pretty much only had a pair of woolly socks, a large t shirt 3 pairs of pants and 2 baby gros! :)
ICSI Jan 2006 - BFP
MC one twin at 6 weeks
DS born in Oct 2006
BF DS 10 months 3 weeks and 5 days
FET 11/07, ICSI 12/07 (ABANDONED), ICSI 2/08, IUI 5/08 - BFN
Clomid IUI 7/08 BFP MC a twin... again :(

compley

Megastar

Reg: Apr 30th 2006

Children: DS and DD

Monday, June 11th 2007, 5:54pm

thanks Bells! will know where to come when I need to pack my bag!...though all that seems along way away at the mo!!!!

<

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

• United Kingdom

Monday, June 11th 2007, 6:25pm

Yes :D the list is a bit *ahem* comprehensive :D but if you're like me who worries that they will forget something then it's good to have all bases covered.

In the very last stages of labour at home I was asking my sister to make sure my warm socks were in my hospital bag 'just in case' I ended up going there. 8-9-10 centimetres and I was going on about socks and hospital bags.

It's cool being a control freak

compley

Megastar

Reg: Apr 30th 2006

Children: DS and DD

Tuesday, June 12th 2007, 10:55am

Bells, I write lists for everything, and I mean everything!!!!! I think I sometimes write lists about the lists I need to write lmao so I thought your list was fab! :)

<

csam

Star

United Kingdom

Tuesday, June 12th 2007, 12:15pm

Me too Laura :cheese: Then I start a new list and transfer all the not done things off the old list.

What's that all about ?!

xxx

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

• United Kingdom

Tuesday, June 12th 2007, 12:52pm

Lists are good. Lists stop you from worrying that you might forget something and with a memory like mine that's got to be a good thing! :D

kski

Ace

Reg: Mar 26th 2006

Tuesday, June 12th 2007, 1:50pm

Hospital LIst

Cheers Bells

You free for about 18 months ?
DAD to twins

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

• United Kingdom

Tuesday, June 12th 2007, 2:05pm

Yes, I'm free.... do you have room for a husband, kids, cat, fish and a pony?

:D

kski

Ace

Reg: Mar 26th 2006

Tuesday, June 12th 2007, 2:18pm

Er

Maybe not - more of a solo appt

k
DAD to twins

Reg: Mar 24th 2006

Saturday, June 16th 2007, 10:02am

What a great list! Thanks! Mind you i have packed less than that already and my enormous bag looks like i'm expacting to stay for the month! No way i could drag it into hospital on my own thats for sure! lol! Anyway, i'm going to have to minimise mine so its a bit more manageable .....so any advice on what i could leave out would be appreciated!
By the way today is my due date...and despite everyone thinking (including me!) she was going to make her entrance early....i'm still waiting! I dont mind in the least as i am still painting and decorating anyway!

• "SingingNun" is no longer a member of FZ
  • United Kingdom

Reg: Feb 8th 2006

Children: Rebecca, born 12th March 2008

Saturday, July 21st 2007, 12:13pm

Katie Price on Baby Diaries (ITV2) didn't seem to have much at all in her hospital bag last Thursday!

xxx Lorraine xxx

Me: 39 & DH: 42 ~ TTC: 5yrs; M/c@7.5wks (20/1/03) & became a mum after our 2nd IUI attempt in June 2007 to 6lbs 4ozs baby girl called Rebecca after an emergency caesarean section at 6.29am on 12th March 2008

Missy

Superstar

Reg: Oct 3rd 2005

Saturday, July 21st 2007, 12:34pm

No because she has people fetching and carrying for her!! :D

xxx

4 baby angels, forever in our hearts

* CLICK *
TO SUPPORT FZ!

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

• United Kingdom

Saturday, July 21st 2007, 12:45pm

She also went into a private hospital in London for an elective section. I doubt she was on an understaffed ward in a six bed bay with a payphone at the end of the corridor which she would have to shuffle to if she forgot or needed something ;)

• United Kingdom

Saturday, July 21st 2007, 7:31pm

Lots to buy - thats great thing about pregnancy - you got even more excuses to buy stuff!

xxx Lorraine xxx

Me: 39 & DH: 42 ~ TTC: 5yrs; M/c@7.5wks (20/1/03) & became a mum after our 2nd IUI attempt in June 2007 to 6lbs 4ozs baby girl called Rebecca after an emergency caesarean section at 6.29am on 12th March 2008

Reg: Nov 18th 2006

Children: 1 toddler, Billy

Sunday, July 22nd 2007, 10:09am

Just noticed this - that list is perfect thanks Bells !!

I was thinking about the bag yesterday - when do people start organising it then 30 weeks plus?
Married to a gorgeous man. Mummy to a gorgeous boy born 31.10.07 & beautiful girl born 25.08.09 - both conceived with the help of Clomid
x Never been happier x

Rose

Star

Reg: Oct 12th 2005

Children: now have little boy!

Sunday, July 22nd 2007, 4:09pm

It's up to you really, it would be useful to have everything you need by about 34 ish weeks, even if it's not packed at least it's there. So yes, starting to get things together about 30 weeks sounds a good idea, at least yuo won;t be rushing around at the last minute.

(I'm not a good example to ask really though......having had ds at 30 weeks and not having brought ANYTHING except a pushchair...had to send a friend out to buy pads, nighties etc- so it's good to be prepared!!)

csam

Star

United Kingdom

Saturday, September 8th 2007, 3:44pm

I emailed this list to DH and he said "what about my bag" :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

xxxxxxx

Rivka

Reg: Oct 11th 2005

Saturday, September 8th 2007, 4:08pm

:D

Not as daft as it sounds though really. He should think about taking some snacks and drinks for himself. Maybe even a change of clothes and toiletries in case you're in a looong time and he doesn't want to leave you to get freshened up and be on top form.

Reg: Apr 7th 2006

Children: sophie 31/01/2008 and angels above

Saturday, September 8th 2007, 4:18pm

printed off and getting items in already

thanks for list

my dh dont need a bag cos poor dog will need to be seen in car -in car park id imagine and our hospital has a cafe and vending machines so he will be fine lol
just needs to take his tablets with him

need dog water and food and toys and leads though for poor dog

thanks again though for list

csam

Star

United Kingdom

Saturday, September 8th 2007, 4:18pm

He's getting a bit concerned that he won't have enough food ! He says he's got to keep his strength up ! Might start stocking up on some goodies for him. it just made me laugh when he said "what about me" with a really sad look on his face !

xxxxxxxxx

csam

Star

United Kingdom

Saturday, September 8th 2007, 4:20pm

Shaz, So you need a bag for you,baby,Dh and dog :D !!!

xxxx

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

• United Kingdom

Sunday, September 9th 2007, 12:44pm

Csam, Rivka's right. In fact I think I'll edit my original post to include some things for DHs and DPs to have ready. :)

Shaz, you really cannot leave the dog in the hospital car park while you're in labour. It will likely be reported to the hospital by other concerned car park users and even if not it's very unfair to lock a dog in a car for this length of time. Besides that, what if you have a traumatic labour, meaning that you need the support of your husband while he's out with the dog OR what if your DH misses the birth because he's outside? It's far from ideal, I do hope you will reconsider for everyone's sake.

• United Kingdom

Wednesday, January 16th 2008, 4:44pm

RE: Hospital Bag List

BIG THANKS TO BELLS for her hospital bag list and others for their input. Done the bag bar toiletries and nursing bra and it did help to tick it as I went.

xxx Lorraine xxx

Reg: Apr 7th 2006

Sunday, June 22nd 2008, 9:14am

Just found this - thanks Bells.
Me 35 DH 43

Reg: Apr 17th 2006

Children: A beautiful little boy born October 2008

Thursday, September 11th 2008, 7:42pm

Thank you so much Bells..... xxxx

elmo

Ace

Reg: Oct 3rd 2005

Friday, September 12th 2008, 1:33pm

just wanted to say a big thank you to bells as i printed this off and used it for my hospital bag and there was nothing i felt i didn't have and gave me one less thing to worry about!!

:thumbsup2:
Proud mom of the most beautiful twin girlies!!
2 angels in heaven, never forgotten

• "philippa_s" is no longer a member of FZ

Reg: Jan 12th 2008

Sunday, November 2nd 2008, 12:24pm

This looks very comprehansive so thanks Bells

Can I ask a question...do the hospital not provide towels? Also, do they provide blankets for baby or do you need to take them in?

Things seem to have changed sssoooo much since my 1st time round where pretty much everything was there.

Cheers
2 gorgeous girls and 1 on the way

mrsjasper

Megastar

Reg: Nov 2nd 2005

Children: 2 gorgeous girls

Sunday, November 2nd 2008, 4:13pm

They do provide towels but sometimes the laundry department don't provide enough for everyone on the ward. Also hopsital towels are not the softest! When DD was born, the ward was so hot she didn't need a blanket, I think she just had a sheet.

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

• United Kingdom

Sunday, November 2nd 2008, 4:29pm

I wonder if it varies from place to place. My hospital didn't provide towels but then that was yonks ago so maybe it's changed since.

Elmo, I've only just seen your post :] you're welcome!

• "philippa_s" is no longer a member of FZ

Reg: Jan 12th 2008

Sunday, November 2nd 2008, 6:09pm

I will add it to my ever increasing list of questions for the midwife :snigger:

Cheers ladies
2 gorgeous girls and 1 on the way

mrsjasper

Megastar

Tuesday, December 2nd 2008, 8:24am

Hospital bag bargains

I was in Primark at the weekend and they have some great nighties in. They are just the big t shirt type ones, but loose and made of cotton so great for labour. They have buttons int he front to just below boob level so a great for breastfeeding. And they are only £4 each so if they get a bit messy, you can just chuck them away.

They also have packs of 6 pairs of cotton kickers for £2. I can't find disposable ones cheaper than that so I got a pack (Yeah, I know I'm only 18 weeks, but there's nothing like being organised). You can chuck 'am if they get a bit bloody, or they might well wash ok and last you years.

Oh, and whilst we're on the subject, Bounty kitchen roll has been recommended to me instead of wipes/cotton wool. No nasty chemicals to irritate baby's bums, its easier to use than fiddly pieces of cotton wool and you can wring it out. Apparently its easier if you have it ready torn into sheets in a box than use it off the roll - a job for daddy.

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

• United Kingdom

Tuesday, December 2nd 2008, 9:24am

There are good recipies for homemade babywipes on the net. I remember someone using a camomile infusion and jaycloths for washable ones but I don't see why kitchen roll wouldn't work just as well.

Kitchen roll is the most underestimated of all baby 'must haves'. It's great for drying your own bits after labour, for putting under baby's bot on cold changing mats, for catching puke, stemming the flow of a squirty nipple and probably a hundred other things.

Michelle

Tuesday, December 2nd 2008, 11:41am

Thanks for the tips - will certainly be popping into Primark for a nightie, i like a bargain!

This is going to sound stupid and you will laugh at me but here goes.....what do you wear if you give birth in a birthing pool? :snigger: Can i still wear a nighty.....don't have to be naked do i?
Sorry :O

ICSI May 08 - BFP
Our beautiful baby girl was born February 2009
Jan 2010 natural BFP M/C 9 weeks
May 2011 - BFP
Baby boy born Jan 2012

bubble

Megastar

United Kingdom

Tuesday, December 2nd 2008, 11:43am

Tankini/bikini top if you don't want to be fully naked? A nightie might get very 'wet t-shirt competition' like!

Hate to tell you this, but you are going to have to take your pants off at some point! :snigger:

ttc since July 06. 8 cycles of clomid. BFP on cycle 5 (Dec 07) ended in m/c at 9.5 weeks. Second BFP on cycle 8 (May 08)

Michelle

Tuesday, December 2nd 2008, 11:48am

:P knew i could rely on you to laugh at me Bubble!!
I'm happy with the whole removal of pants thing but would like to cover myself up where i can. A tankini sounds like a good idea.

ICSI May 08 - BFP
May 2011 - BFP
Baby boy born Jan 2012

bubble

Megastar

United Kingdom

Tuesday, December 2nd 2008, 11:51am

I'm not laughing - well not much anyway!

Seriously, somebody asked in our NCT class the other day whether they had to take their knickers off! They were more terrified about exposing their bits than anything else!

ttc since July 06. 8 cycles of clomid. BFP on cycle 5 (Dec 07) ended in m/c at 9.5 weeks. Second BFP on cycle 8 (May 08)

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

• United Kingdom

Tuesday, December 2nd 2008, 11:54am

Quoted

Originally posted by Michelle

Can i still wear a nighty.....don't have to be naked do i?
Sorry :O

You CAN do whatever you want and you don't HAVE to do anything you don't want to. You're only going into hospital because you have chosen to. It's not school or work, there are no teachers, managers or bosses, you're in charge of your visit, nobody else. If you choose to wear a duffel coat you can but I warn you, they do get heavy when they're wet.

;)

mrsjasper

Megastar

Tuesday, December 2nd 2008, 12:49pm

Quoted

Originally posted by bubble
Hate to tell you this, but you are going to have to take your pants off at some point! :snigger:

Not true, we all saw Daphne in Neighbours give birth with her tights and knickers on!

Michelle

Tuesday, December 2nd 2008, 12:58pm

:snigger: you ladies do make me laugh!
I'm doing my list of what i need to get to go in my bag now so this really helps, thank you.

ICSI May 08 - BFP
May 2011 - BFP
Baby boy born Jan 2012

mayo

Star

Reg: Jan 17th 2008

Children: 3 big boys ( born '03,'06 & '08)

Tuesday, December 2nd 2008, 2:28pm

can vouch for those primark nighties...used one last 2 times and have one for this time too...actually managed to keep the one from last time as it washed just fine, but at 4 quid, I figured I'd splash out and get a new one :snigger: Did Primark pants too mrs.Jasper, as I didn't fancy the disposable ones, and figured at that price they can be disposable anyhow! The hand towels from Primark are lovely and fluffy and cosy for a new baby too...and of course cheap, so no big deal if they get poo/puke on...can recommend ...just the right size to lay on change mat too to keep baby bottom cozy during changes :D
Mayo

baby boy born Aug. '03
baby boy born April '06
m/c June '07 at 5w
m/c Oct '07 at 6w
m/c Dec '07 at 4w 4d
baby boy born Dec '08
m/c March '10 at 6w

Reg: Mar 14th 2008

Children: Logan James born 24-12-2008

Tuesday, December 2nd 2008, 7:59pm

me too i already have one of these nighties and cheap knicks from primark..sooo much cheaper, amd easily chucked x
1st ICSI- Mar/Apr08 :BFP:
Logan James born 24-12-08 smile2
3rd ICSI December :BFP: :heart: :heart: seen at 7 wks

Saro

Star

Reg: Mar 6th 2008

Children: Alexander born after 4th IVF/ICSI

Sunday, January 18th 2009, 10:52am

A friend of mine got her mother in law to knit her some leg warmers so that she could wear them for the birth - she was that upset about having to expose her fat thighs !!! Actually - guess what, when it came to labour, being slightly chubby was the last thing on her mind and she showed all !!! Made me laugh :snigger:

BTW that list is very helpful - cheers. xx

Sept 2007 IVF BFN - Oct 2007 Tubes removed - Nov 2007 ICSI BFN - March 2008 ICSI : BFN
June 2008 - :BFP:

mrsjasper

Megastar

Monday, January 26th 2009, 12:30pm

Does anyone know where I can get biodegradable maternity pads from? I've looked at mothercare, boots, Green baby and some other eco friendly parenting sites but can't find them.

Also whilst we're on the subject (ok, whilst I'M on the subject), I visit a practice nursing forum and there is a thread on vaginal discharge and the general consensus (from former midwives) is that new mums who use Always towels have more infections. Can't vouch for it personally, but something to bear in mind.

Rose

Star

Monday, January 26th 2009, 8:55pm

Thats interesting Mrs J( If interesting is the right word when talking about vaginal discharge!) I wonder if it's the plastic backing causing warmth, moisture etc leading to possible infection or is it just coincidence do you think?
Any how as for biodegradable pads- i'm not sure, have you looked at these ?

http://www.naturebotts.co.uk/product_det…C-MUM-MAT_.htm,

x

Rose

Star

Monday, January 26th 2009, 8:56pm

Oh not sure that linked will work Try this one http://www.naturebotts.co.uk/product_details/NC-MUM-MAT_.htm

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Rose" (Jan 26th 2009, 8:57pm)

1 user apart from you is browsing this thread:

1 guests

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE