You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Torisen

• "Torisen" started this thread

Reg: Jan 1st 2006

Monday, May 21st 2007, 8:15pm

Active Birth Centre (birthing lessons)

ABC What else can I say!??

I keep on recomending this and nobody listens.

I went to the Active Birth Centre for an active birth class weekend...

I sat with my friend last week and had to listen to her horrible naive birth story even though I repetedly told her to go to the abc. It made all the difference in the world to me and it upsets me that everybody keeps on blanking it!

It is sooooo good. Extremely informative and so empowering!!!

I seriously don't understand why some people don't take responsibility over the situation and learn all there is about birth!
The more you know and the better lessons you have the greater chance you have to have the most amazing birth in the world. No regrets, no what ifs, just perfect!

So here it is: http://www.activebirthcentre.com/
Janet Balaskas is just great!

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Monday, May 21st 2007, 8:24pm

It sounds great and if they are the reason that you laboured so well then they have my seal of approval!

It says on the site that it's £180 per person, do you have to pay for your partner?

I wonder if women underestimate the need to attend a class like this if they're attending the free ones on the NHS? I've attended NHS ones and to be honest they were awful!

Chilli

Megastar

United Kingdom

Reg: Oct 3rd 2005

Monday, May 21st 2007, 8:35pm

My MW advised me not to go to the NHS ones :rolleyes:

I was booked in for the active birth but the lady running it had the flu and got cancelled so missed out :(

Reg: Oct 1st 2005

Monday, May 21st 2007, 9:21pm

It looks really good!! xxx

Torisen

Monday, May 21st 2007, 9:23pm

TBH I can't remember what we paid but I did think at the time "is this really worth it" but by then we were already halfway through the signing up process...

It is an extremely intensive two day course though and you end up slightly shell shocked but I learnt pretty much everything.
I knew what was happening to my body. How I could make it happen more and less, when I was likely to lose control (have a crisis) and how to regain equlibrium. I knew that if I had to ask for drugs I could tell them what dose I wanted and when I wanted it to wear of.
I learnt what monitoring methods I could request but also when to let the midwives to their own thing.

I knew that when I threw up I was pretty near the end instead of "OMG I just threw up". I knew why!
I also knew that I was in transition and that it was OK not to have any contractions for 20-30 minutes. I knew that that was the time to rest and relax.

I think best of all was my DP having the same insight. When I told him that I did not think that I could go through with it he just comforted me and told me "nearly there".

I knew which position to use if baby was comint too fast and which one to use if it was all a bit slow...

-----------

I got so upset when my friend told me about midwives telling her to push with contractions when she did not have any and all those things. It just made me so sad listening to her.

The greatest thing with the course was that they also handled the situation of births not going to plan. How to accept things, to handle the situation without thinking "that if".
At least if you have all the knowledge you can take desitions that you might not regret.
It is all about the empowerment of women!

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Monday, May 21st 2007, 9:30pm

It sounds absolutely fantastic :))

Rose

Star

Reg: Oct 12th 2005

Children: now have little boy!

Tuesday, May 22nd 2007, 11:18am

Torisen- i agree that the abc sounds fantastic, and in an ideal world every pregnant woman would have classes like these. BUT sadly this is not always the case.
To many(if not all )of the women i look after £180 is an AWFUL lot of money, and twhilst may of them would love the knowledge and skills and empowerment that you have it is simply out of their reach.
i work in an inner city deprived area, and we have to rely on NHS classes which in my defence are as good as they can be considering the resources availble.

Torisen

Tuesday, May 22nd 2007, 11:31am

I am using cotton nappies (second hand) and that is saving me lots of money. I don't buy baby wipes etc. I use wash cloths made from old pillow cases.
I don't buy clothes unless I really need it. My wedding dress is an old dress I found in my grandmothers wardrobe.
Z's cot, bumbo seat, door bouncer are all second hand.
Z hardly has any new clothes, they are mostly hand-downs or second hand off ebay.

I am struggeling with money like so many other people here but those £180x2 was the best money I have ever spent! (except for the fertility treatment of course).

Rose

Star

Tuesday, May 22nd 2007, 11:38am

Thats fantastic Torisen, and i'm not dismissing the ABC at all, far from it. but i guess what i'm trying to say is that many of my clients are unemployed, have poor social conditions, and REALLY struggle to make ends meet. Many of them are unable to often find the money for a bus to get to their appts with me, let alone fond £180 for private classes. They simply have other priorities with their money.
Unfortunatly the NHS are the only option to many of them.

x

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Rose" (May 22nd 2007, 11:39am)

mrsjasper

Megastar

Reg: Nov 2nd 2005

Children: 2 gorgeous girls

Tuesday, May 22nd 2007, 11:48am

I wish I'd done these. Can someone make this thread sticky so that I can find it in case there is a next time? Thanks.

I did NHs ante natal classes and they were pretty good. Even so I would have liked more info on preventing a cascade of intervention, and I would have liked DH to know that too. Actually TBH, I'd have liked my consultant to know it too!

Torisen

Tuesday, May 22nd 2007, 11:51am

Rose, I guess I just found it so important afterwards that I don't think I could have done it without the class...

Rose

Star

Tuesday, May 22nd 2007, 11:54am

Thats great. I think they are fantastic too, but I just can't imagine some of my clients going somehow..........

Mrs J- i wish someone would let our consultants go on the ABC classess too....some of them need a bit of a reminder dont they?????

Torisen

Tuesday, May 22nd 2007, 11:58am

Janet Balaskas sometimes holds workshops with consultants and midwives and my local hospital is building a new birthing suite with more rooms for people that don't want to have a medicated birth!

Life is good!

Rose

Star

Tuesday, May 22nd 2007, 12:01pm

She does, as does a lady called jean sutton. They are fantastic sessions, but unfortunately all of the ones i have been on have only been attended by midwives.......getting docs to attend anything "non-medical" is not an easy job............ :rolleyes:

JENSQUI

Megastar

Reg: Feb 26th 2007

Children: one very special daughter

Tuesday, May 22nd 2007, 12:01pm

Do you think it makes a massive difference who your teacher is?
I would be interested in these (when the time comes, of course!) but live in Scotland so would have to find a local teacher.
I just wondered if it's a bit like going to any other type of class (exercise, pilates, even pottery!) in that your experience and how much yo gain from it is often so much more dependent on how good the teacher is rather than the subject itself.
is there an opportunity to meet the teacher before handing over the cash?

Torisen

Tuesday, May 22nd 2007, 12:05pm

Jensqui, we had a lady in training with us at the time I took the course and she seemed very good but I can't vouch for her since I only had Janet...
I would phone them up and ask them what they think about courses elsewhere!

When my sister in law falls pregnant (fingers crossed) I will make sure they come for a weekend in London earlier on in pregnancy to take this course!

JENSQUI

Megastar

Reg: Feb 26th 2007

Children: one very special daughter

Tuesday, May 22nd 2007, 12:23pm

thanks - I'll make some enquiries later on.
I guess I could always go down to London for the weekend to attend the coruse there (lucky enough to have friends there who could put us up!) - don't know why i didn't think about that....surely my brain can't be so addled after only 6 weeks??!

Reg: Oct 2nd 2007

Sunday, July 6th 2008, 1:49pm

I read this and am booked in to start mid July, is a bit early as will only be 20 weeks but the next start dates were just too late and I figured that the yoga and stuff would be good for general health too.

The NHS ones are all mid day on a tuesday or simliar, I know you can get time off work to attend, but the middle of the day slot is just so inconvienient, you'd think 1st thing, last thing or eves are obvious???

Classes are local to me and cost £55 for 6 sessions of 1 and half hours, super bargain. Not for DH this time, just the ladies and need yoga mat, pillows and a belt (???) so will let you know how I get on, but at that price I think its a really good investment.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Cathie" (Jul 6th 2008, 1:49pm)

Torisen

Sunday, July 6th 2008, 6:18pm

Cathie, did you book in for yoga or a birthing class?

Sunday, July 6th 2008, 7:26pm

Think its the birthing classes, but they are yoga based so the tutor tells me???

Who can say, its all very exciting!!!!

Have you done any??

Torisen

Monday, July 7th 2008, 9:12am

I went to the Active Birth Centre and they did yoga classes and birthing classes (massage etc too of course).
Our birthing class was an hugely expensive class that lasted for two hole days.

I would be wary not having DH with me in class as my DH was the one massaging me all the way labour, telling the MW exactly what I wanted and not wanted (as discussed) and he knew everything about the drugs and procedures.

You should contact your birthing class leader and ask her what literature will be provided, when you will receive it so that you can do some preparatory studying, ask if she is using the active or MW lead approach.
You will need to learn the drugs and the procedures too so that you can make an informed decision at the time.

I can not begin to explain how much it meant for me to have my DH singing the same tune as me.
I did not have to have any long conversations during labour. I grunted and he would convey the message.
I wanted a natural third stage and even though we had been really clear on this point the MW still was trying to cut the cord. DH had to fend off the clamps before I even knew what was happening.

All thanks to my birthing class (Janet Balaskas at the ABC) and my husband I had the perfect painless unmedicated birth. It just really worked out!

I knew alot about the birthing pool and water birth so I could make an informed decision about not wanting to give birth in the pool but on the pool side.

It is all up to you to do the research of your teacher and check her credentials :)

Happy birthing :P

xx

Monday, July 7th 2008, 8:23pm

Wow T

Thanks for the info, am really excited now. I did ask about DH and these classes aren't for him too, so assuming its preparation rather than the live action, but will defo look into it now I know of your fab experience!!!

Will let you know how it goes

C
xxx

Wednesday, July 16th 2008, 8:35am

Well I did my first of 6 classes last night, was general yoga type moves that would be useful in labour, and indeed preparing for it too.

Was only 6 of us in the class, I was 20 weeks, some at 24 and 28 weeks then all others well into third tri.

Great and very knowledgeable tutor, lots of support and generally well worth the £10 paid.

Would highly recommend.

c
xx

Torisen

Thursday, August 28th 2008, 8:55am

But the question is, do you feel prepared for labour? Do you know what will happen, how you might react etc?
Do you know about different options and complications?
Do you know what to do when and how you can help your own progress and also how you can slow it down if you feel it is happening too fast?
Did they drill you on the drugs, dosage etc?

mrsjasper

Megastar

Reg: Nov 2nd 2005

Children: 2 gorgeous girls

Thursday, August 28th 2008, 9:12am

Torisen, Janet Thingy has a book on Active Birthing, have you read it? Would you recommend it?

Torisen

Thursday, August 28th 2008, 9:23am

I haven't read her book but the birrthing notes book that you get given before the class is amazing.
I used her natural baby and it was great so I would expect the active birthing book to be as good!

Thursday, September 11th 2008, 2:11pm

Just saw this, sorry for not responding. No, I cant say I have that info, the classes I attend are the yoga ones, not the actual birthing ones, so having to go elsewhere for that. Janey is fab and does share a lot of info on the birth process etc and we do lessons on breathing, positions etc but I will need to go to a proper ante natal class so I feel totally comforatble, thats for sure!

Torisen

Thursday, September 11th 2008, 3:57pm

Cathie, may I recommend the Active Birth Centre
Link in the top post!

Reg: Sep 8th 2008

Tuesday, April 28th 2009, 9:21am

I'd love to do a course at the ABC but they have none in June which is the only time I could get to London. Where is the next best place does anyone know, a place where they have they have same holistic approach?
Many thanks,
Cherry Pip

Reg: Sep 8th 2008

Wednesday, April 29th 2009, 1:51pm

Just a quick update - I coudn't find any English language course near enough my dates so I contacted the ABC people and they have been really lovely, I will try and attend their course in July. Thanks for the tip.

1 user apart from you is browsing this thread:

1 guests

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE