You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "Lizzypops" started this thread

Reg: Nov 14th 2006

Children: Twins boy and girl

Wednesday, May 16th 2007, 9:57am

Help! Twins & nuchal tests etc

Hi

I hope someone could help me on this one. Even if its just to tell me their experience and what they decided.

I have been told that because we are having twins i will be unable to have the blood tests for downs etc because the results are misleading. Instead i have to go straight into the nuchal fold test, and this is only done privately.

I really dont know what to do. Its starting to worry me. What did everyone else decide to do??

Love lizzy
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

kski

Ace

Reg: Mar 26th 2006

Wednesday, May 16th 2007, 9:59am

RE: Help! Twins & nuchal tests etc

Dependant on the health Authority - I guess -

We had the same issues -

They take a blood test , compare NF scan with Bloods and mothers age

and then come up with a risk stat -
We paid £150 - not sure what we would have done either way -

Not offered to mum's under 35 due to low risk -

Choice is yours !

k
DAD to twins

Wednesday, May 16th 2007, 10:23am

Thanks K

I am only 28. Think i will just go with the flow and not have the tests. Having twins seems so much more complicated than one baby!!

Lizzy

Reg: Jul 30th 2006

Wednesday, May 16th 2007, 11:28am

I guess I was lucky with the postcode lottery as I was offered bloods and nuchal test on the NHS (I was 34 at the time).

Its hard to say in hindsight but I think if I had had to pay for it I wouldn't have bothered.

Congrats on the twins!

xx

Edited to add: I wouldn't have bothered purely to save the pennies. The actual scan was wonderful - I had 40 minutes of watching our babies wriggling about, yawning and generally being cute whilst they took all the measures. I'm expecting the same attention to detail to be taken at the 20 week anomoly scan so I'm assuming (someone correct me if I'm wrong) you should still have that experience but a little further along the line.
Me 35, DH 31 [zx075]
Bilateral hydrosalpinges discovered May 06
Bilateral salpingectomy June 06
1st IVF August 06 BFN
2nd IVF January 07 BFP Twins!!

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Suzy Q" (May 16th 2007, 4:11pm)

KIRSTY G

Reg: Sep 27th 2006

Children: 7 year old little man, and B/G twins

Wednesday, May 16th 2007, 4:45pm

I was also told that I would have to pay of I wanted the scan ... and once I weighed it all up (my age, the cost, what I would actually do if I got a 'bad' result), I decided not to bother ...

When I had my 20 week scan (at 18+4) she had a look at the back of the babies necks and said they seem fine, so i'm happy that everythings fine (fingers crossed)

Thursday, May 17th 2007, 1:43pm

Thanks thats put my mind at rest

Reg: Oct 7th 2005

Thursday, May 17th 2007, 1:47pm

they dont offer blood tests here for us, so I had (what was standard) which was the NF test. it's meant to be as accurate as the blood test, anyway.

Rae

Star

Reg: Apr 20th 2007

Children: 4

Thursday, May 17th 2007, 4:43pm

Hi everyone

Congratulation to all of you having twins.

I had twin boys nearly 14 years ago now and although it is more complicated and really really hard to start with having twins is an absolute joy, you don't worry about them so much i.e. going to school etc because they always have each other, my two argue like any other brothers but are also extremely close and are lost when one of them goes on a sleep over or god forbid away for a weekend without the other one. I also have a daughter and I can hand on heart say that I would have preferred her to be a twin too.

During my twin pregnancy I was scanned every 2 weeks which was lovely to be able to see them develop all the way through - that may have all changed now though I guess.

We will see if I get one or 2 this time!!

Loads of luck to you all

Me 40
DP 43
twin boys born '93, dd born '98 [zx076]

Reg: Oct 3rd 2005

Children: Twin Girls

Sunday, May 20th 2007, 9:12pm

I had the nuchal scan & I was 31 & was offered this for FREE, no charge, London hospital, can't remb name off hand. The triple blood test you can't have with twins.

As you say your only 28 but I had this done to put my mind at rest. Do you know the price privately?

xx
PCOS
TTC 7 Yrs
2nd IVF - Blastocyst Embies
unbelievable BFP & TWINS!!
Now have beautiful twin girls

My family is now finally complete.

Reg: Dec 23rd 2005

Sunday, May 20th 2007, 9:24pm

Hi - we had the nuchal translucency scan, free of charge at Queen Charlotte's in London (my DW is 35 tho).

The results were quite concerning tho. 1 in 1200 for our little girl and 1 in 152 for our little boy.

If a singleton, 1 in 152 sounds alright, but compared to 1200, its a big jump. We had to go and see a counsellor, we booked an amnio for 32 weeks.

But the risk of MC at 32 weeks is 3% with an amnio and as we were given 0.75% of downs in our little boy, we didn't bother with the amnio and even if they did find out that he had downs, there was no way we could have him terminated at that time. (sorry..that sounds terrible!).

So, the real question to ask, is what would you do if you had the nuchal translucency and it did come back with something other than 1 in lots? Would you carry on?? Its not something to answer on here, just something to consider.

Turns out that Ben just had a fat neck!

our consultant is pressurising to have the Nuchal translucency scan removed as the results are often so misleading.

Next time, I dont think we will have the scan.
Male Factor - Bilateral Absence of Vas Deferens

Reg: Feb 22nd 2007

Sunday, May 20th 2007, 11:17pm

Wow, Lizzy!! Congratulations on your twins blowkiss

Sorry, I only just saw this. I'm sooo happy for you!

biggrin2

Me 28, DH 32, TTC 5 yrs+ clomid and IUI's - always BFN

ICSI Feb/Mar 07 - BFP - d/c on 8th week (blighted ovum)
FET May/Jun 07 - BFP - m/c at 6 wks
FET Aug/Sep 07 - BFP/BFN (very early loss)
ICSI Oct/Nov 07 - BFP - lost my angel girl on 12th week
FET Apr/May 08 - surprise natural BFP while d/r - m/c at 5 wks+
Another BFP after the FET and now it's finally my turn!

Reg: Feb 13th 2006

Sunday, May 20th 2007, 11:23pm

Quoted

Originally posted by andykirbster
So, the real question to ask, is what would you do if you had the nuchal translucency and it did come back with something other than 1 in lots? Would you carry on?? Its not something to answer on here, just something to consider.

Turns out that Ben just had a fat neck!

our consultant is pressurising to have the Nuchal translucency scan removed as the results are often so misleading.

Next time, I dont think we will have the scan.

In a singleton pg you would then be offered the CVS test straight away at 12 weeks to give you a much more accurate indicator.....CVS test has the same risk as an amnio only its done much earlier..would this not be an option in a twin pg

Reg: Feb 13th 2006

Sunday, May 20th 2007, 11:31pm

LP..heres some info.....I had a singleton pg but went to The Fetal Medicine Centre (http://www.fetalmedicine.com/fmc-home.htm) in London for my nuchal...........I saw Nicolaides........hes one of the best.......hes's the chap at Kings famous for operating on babies in the womb.........we chose to go ona wed as that is the only day he still works there...so that if a CVS was required he would be the one to do it.........it wasnt.............the scan cost £150

What prenatal screening tests can I have if I'm carrying multiples?Prenatal screening tests can help gauge your babies' risk of chromosomal abnormalities and other birth defects. In your first trimester, you can have a nuchal translucency screening, an ultrasound that tells you if one or more of your babies has extra fluid in the neck, a potential sign of Down syndrome.

But you probably won't be able to have the blood tests that are sometimes offered along with the nuchal screening, in what's called a first-trimester combined screening test. There's not much evidence yet that these blood tests are useful for detecting abnormalities in multiples.

You're also not likely to have the multiple marker screen, a blood test given at 15 to 18 weeks to check for signs of birth defects. This test isn't very accurate for women carrying more than one baby and many practitioners won't offer it to them.

What about amniocentesis or CVS?
Amniocentesis and chorionic villus sampling are used to diagnose chromosomal abnormalities and other defects. These tests are often performed early in pregnancy (between 10 and 12 weeks for CVS and 16 and 20 weeks for amniocentesis) to check for Down syndrome and other genetic problems. For mothers with multiples, these tests can also determine whether babies are identical or fraternal.

Both amniocentesis and CVS are trickier if you're carrying twins, triplets, or more. Unless your babies happen to share an amniotic sac, the technician has to be very careful to collect a sample from each baby without getting the samples mixed up. (Twins who share an amniotic sac have the same DNA, so mix-ups don't matter.) If you're carrying triplets or more, it's not always possible to collect a sample from each baby.

The risk of miscarriage from these tests is also somewhat higher when you're carrying multiples. For example, nearly 3 percent of twins will miscarry after an amniocentesis, about five times the rate seen with single babies. The rate of miscarriage after CVS can be as high as 4 percent, although the risk is lower if you have an experienced technician. You'll want to thoroughly discuss the risks and benefits of these tests with your practitioner or genetic counselor before undergoing either procedure.

Reg: Oct 3rd 2005

Children: Twin Girls

Monday, May 21st 2007, 10:44am

thanks Tinks you have jogged my memory!!

I went to kings college hosp, London & Nicolaides did the test, fab guy & all his collegues are really nice & caring.
PCOS
TTC 7 Yrs
2nd IVF - Blastocyst Embies
unbelievable BFP & TWINS!!
Now have beautiful twin girls

My family is now finally complete.

Reg: Apr 4th 2006

Children: Connor 8, Freya 4, Harri and Rhys 3

Wednesday, May 23rd 2007, 8:42pm

Congratulations Lizzy

I was offered a nucal test at 12 weeks FREE. Did not take the test as I believed that my twins were a miricle and what will be will be.

As many of the other girls have said, just do what you feel comfy doing, I had the bloods taken with both my previous pg and all I did whilst waiting for the results was panic, I didn't even bother to get the results with Connor as I had worked myself up that much I convinced myself it was bad news!!

Good Luck with whatever choice you make, I am sure they will be just fine!!

Love

Karenxx

3 Baby Angels

Reg: Oct 1st 2005

Wednesday, May 23rd 2007, 8:56pm

I didn't have anything, i think the biggest thing is what would your decision be if you did?? I would have carried on regardless so no need for the test really. xxx
Mum of 3 year old twins.
Had ICSI worked first time

Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what your gonna get!!

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE