You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "Sunshine" started this thread

Reg: Oct 7th 2005

Friday, January 6th 2006, 9:37am

Braxton Hicks

what do they really feel like?

in simple words rather than "tightening of the uterus"!?! I mean, what does that mean / feel like?!

Missy

Superstar

Reg: Oct 3rd 2005

Friday, January 6th 2006, 9:42am

You get them as early in pregnancy as 8 weeks, that gradually get stronger. Many first time mums ( or generally fit people!) won't feel them at all because your tummy muscles are tighter. But, they feel like (to me) a strong pulling sensation n the muscles of my tum, as if my tummy muscles are magnetic and some one is pulling them outwards with a big magnet!!

Mostly they are painless, but some can be quite strong and give me pain in my lower back.

xxx

4 baby angels, forever in our hearts

* CLICK *
TO SUPPORT FZ!

Missy

Superstar

Friday, January 6th 2006, 9:43am

Ah, or have you ever had one of those ab workout belts on where it contracts your muscles for you using electric pulses?? Quite similar to that!!

xxx

* CLICK *
TO SUPPORT FZ!

cookie

Superstar

• "cookie" is no longer a member of FZ

Friday, January 6th 2006, 9:45am

your tummy tightens and goes really hard, then relaxes again after a while. they arent really painful but they can stop you in your tracks sometimes.......it feels uncomfertable. thats what it felt like to me any way hun, they arent always big ones tho, some of them are little more than a flutter. hope that helps hun! :D

I'm running down the road like loose electricity, while the band in my head plays a strip tease!

Friday, January 6th 2006, 9:53am

does it tighten around your belly button and give you slight back ache?

thing is - sprog has been really active today and I cant tell if it is him being active or BHs.

Friday, January 6th 2006, 9:56am

sam - nope - never had one of those belts.

the difference between these & proper contractions - I'm guessing that proper contractions really hurt compared to these?

cookie

Superstar

Friday, January 6th 2006, 9:57am

got it in one sweety!

you deffinatly know when youre having 'the real thing' ;) :D xxxxx

I'm running down the road like loose electricity, while the band in my head plays a strip tease!

Reg: Sep 27th 2005

Friday, January 6th 2006, 10:02am

I echo what Cookie says - the real ones really feel different. You can somehow tell that your body isn't just practising any more.
Had a total of three fresh IVF cycles and three frozen transfers (embryos and blastocysts)
m/c @ 11 weeks in 2007 DS1 and DS2 born from fresh IVF cycles :D
:D

Friday, January 6th 2006, 10:36am

how? do they hurt more? do you feel them in a different place?

cookie

Superstar

Friday, January 6th 2006, 10:56am

they hurt to buggary sweety, :D youll deffinatly know the difference when you go into labour!

how come youre asking hun? are you ok? xxx

Friday, January 6th 2006, 11:02am

lol - thanks cookie

yeah, I'm ok. just nervous cos DH is off sailing for four days this weekend - he doesnt want to but its something he organised yonks ago. weather is shit here - cold (for here), rough seas, and he is busy at work and cant really afford to take time off from work. he's very stressed at work and not sleeping well either, poor lamb.

and today I have been having period like cramps around my upper tummy and some on the lower tummy, and my back is hurting.

havent told DH as I dont want to stress him out even further as I think he would easily crack. he's a poppet, and feels guilty really easily, and I dont want to make him feel guilty for going on this trip when he doesnt really have a choice but to go. well, he does, but it would involve telling three other people that they have to cancel their trip as well. which he wont do.

so - just checking. :rolleyes:

Friday, January 6th 2006, 11:11am

you ok sunshine!

lovezoexx
me 31 dh 30
me severe pcos
iui dd born 25weeks gestation
6 failed stimmed iui cycles since may 2007

cookie

Superstar

Friday, January 6th 2006, 11:13am

you could keep an eye on your pains for today hun, if they become stronger or more frequent then give the midwife a ring and go and see her, or if youre concerned now then ring for an appointment today, its always best to get checked out sweety, even if its just to put your mind at rest so you and ph can enjoy your weekends. and after all, its the midwifs job to see you if youre concerned...... [zx252] keep us posted hun, were'll be here over the weekend to keep you company till dh gets back xx

Friday, January 6th 2006, 11:15am

hi sunshine

i would suggest giving your midwife a call thats what they are there for even if to only give you peace of mind hun

hope you fell better soon

take care lovezoexx
me 31 dh 30
me severe pcos

Friday, January 6th 2006, 12:04pm

:)

sorry gals - dont have a midwife here in Asia! It's also 9pm here.

they're not really that strong - just like mild period cramps, and fairly infrequent - on & off - which is why I thought it would just be BHs. Of course, I'll let you know if it isnt!!!

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Friday, January 6th 2006, 12:21pm

For me, BHs were like someone with big hands was squeezing my whole bump. It felt a bit like when pins and nedles is wearing off and you feel a bit numb and tingly. It's didn't hurt depending what position the baby was in.... mostly my tummy just felt 'tight'.

Contraction pains were a very deep, strong pain that were comparable to the pain you get from food poisoning. For a moment you don't quite know if you should rush to the toilet but very quickly you become aware that it's a pain that means something.

Everyone's different and everyones perception of pain is different. If the pain you're experiencing is coming and going in waves, increasing in regularity and seems like it's getting stronger then you should get in touch with whoever will be looking after you when you have your baby.

Another thing to consider with lower back ache and tummy pains is a water infection. If it contines to trouble you then a course of antibiotics will clear it up really quickly.

Friday, January 6th 2006, 12:32pm

My BH's were nothing like my contractions. They did get slightly stronger towards the end. My belly used to go a slight pointy shape and feel very tight - wierd but not painful at all. Now the contractions..............
LR
Me 32, hypothyroid,
I have 2 beautiful boys 8 & 6, and one beautiful girl
1st ICSI - 15 eggs - Oct 05 - BFN
2nd ICSI - 22 eggs - egg sharer -Feb 2006 - BFN
I'm a single parent.

Friday, January 6th 2006, 12:34pm

Bells - it doesnt seem to be like squeezing on the tummy or like food poisoning. It really is like period pain - a kind of internal low level ache from the belly to my spine. Also for the last hour or so, has been about a sharp ache every 10 minutes and then a dull ache remaining afterwards.

It might be a water infection I guess. You never know.

It's 9:30pm here & DH is at work. I'll give it another hour, and then if they are still going regular then I will go into the hospital just for a check. But as I said earlier, I dont want to panic him either, if it is only "false labour".

Friday, January 6th 2006, 12:38pm

Sun - That doesn't sound like Braxton Hicks to me, but then we're all different.

It's better to be safe than sorry, so if you're worried, go and get it checked out.
LR
Me 32, hypothyroid,
I'm a single parent.

Friday, January 6th 2006, 12:38pm

oof - well that one WAS a belly squeeze....[zx002][zx024]

Friday, January 6th 2006, 12:40pm

I think you'd better ring the hospital hun. Have you taken any paracetamol?
LR
Me 32, hypothyroid,
I'm a single parent.

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Friday, January 6th 2006, 12:42pm

No need to panic him but while it may not be labour, it may be a water infection which is pretty important really as it can cause uterine irritation which can kick start labour.... so even something as simple as a water infection warrants a hospital visit if that's the only option to get it treatment.

I think you're right to monitor it for the next hour and take it from there. Sure, there are lots of these aches and niggles in these last few weeks and it's easy for a doctor or midwife to tell you that it's nothing to worry about but when you're sat at home wondering if it's nothing or something, with no way of knowing either way.... well the only option is to go and get it checked out.

It might just be one of those things like baby lying on a nerve or Braxton Hicks or any number of things but if you're worried, get it checked.

Friday, January 6th 2006, 1:01pm

well DH back already - I decided to let him know.
We're going to see how this evening goes. If they get more regular or more intense then we'll be off to hospital in the morning.
If not, then it must just be false ones.

Had a cup of hot chocolate (Milo for Vegie ;) ) to see if that makes a difference :D

Friday, January 6th 2006, 1:03pm

Let us know how it goes Sun - good luck x
LR
Me 32, hypothyroid,
I'm a single parent.

Friday, January 6th 2006, 1:09pm

Lisa - nope, no paracetamol - as I said it's just like period pain.

Bells - it could easily be sproglet just moving - he was very very active this afternoon.

The Milo seems to have helped my feeling slightly queasy.

Well, we'll see how it goes. I'll post again in about 12 hours time.

Thanks for all your help.

See you later gals. :)

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Friday, January 6th 2006, 1:11pm

byeeeeee [zx021]

Friday, January 6th 2006, 1:11pm

Take Care Sun xxx
LR
Me 32, hypothyroid,
I'm a single parent.

Missy

Superstar

Friday, January 6th 2006, 1:42pm

Oi!!! You better not be planning on having that baby yet!! I refuse to be the only one going to term!! (or near it anyway!!) ;( ;(

xxx

* CLICK *
TO SUPPORT FZ!

Friday, January 6th 2006, 1:47pm

Take care, Sun. Hope they send you home with an allclear for another 2 or 3 weeks of pg. I can't promise to be up at 1am when you said you'd next post, but I'll log on in the morning.

Sam, I thought you reckoned you wouldn't quite last to 40 weeks, so you might yet join the early group!

Limpet
Had a total of three fresh IVF cycles and three frozen transfers (embryos and blastocysts)

Rose

Star

Reg: Oct 12th 2005

Children: now have little boy!

Friday, January 6th 2006, 1:50pm

Hope all goes well sun- haven't been on for ages so i'm catching up and can't beleive how many preggy ladies there are! It 's fab!!!!!

Friday, January 6th 2006, 1:52pm

Nice to hear from you, Nikki. Can't believe Thomas is nearly 5 months now!! Is he nearly sitting up yet? Ooops, sorry, not really 3rd trimester topic. Hope you're doing ok anyway.

Limpet

Missy

Superstar

Friday, January 6th 2006, 1:54pm

I did!! I didn't think I'd last til they induce me at 38 weeks.. but its looking like I will be doing!! I start having some pains etc, but they always subside... Oh well... :rolleyes: I'll just be here.. FAT AND ACHEY.. ALONE!!! ;(

xxx

* CLICK *
TO SUPPORT FZ!

Rose

Star

Reg: Oct 12th 2005

Children: now have little boy!

Friday, January 6th 2006, 1:54pm

HI limpet- how's things? will post update in baby section if he's stays asleep long enough to let me!

cookie

Superstar

Friday, January 6th 2006, 4:28pm

sunshine, hope you are feeling better now sweety, speek in the morning.......xxxxx

Friday, January 6th 2006, 6:24pm

Hi gals

it's gone 3am here, and I'm awake due to some enormous cramps.

Not funny! But they are every 6 minutes or so. But only for the last 30 minutes.

Sam - I really do NOT want this baby early. He is way too precious and way too small at the moment to arrive early!

I'm going to give it another 30 minutes or so before I wake DH.

Reg: Oct 1st 2005

Friday, January 6th 2006, 6:32pm

Sunshine..........how long are they lasting???

The baby is 5lb is that right??? Luckily thats about the right size for no intervention to be needed normally. xxxxxxxx
Mum of 3 year old twins.
Had ICSI worked first time

Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what your gonna get!!

Friday, January 6th 2006, 6:39pm

Clare - last gap was now 10 minutes, and cramps are lasting about two minutes or so, subsiding to a dull ache.

Yup - baby is around 5lb.

Reg: Oct 1st 2005

Friday, January 6th 2006, 6:41pm

Does sound like braxtons, i had some that where like that prior to my real labour, monitor them if the time between increases and they start to last longer then thats the time to worry. Try having a bath.....................it worked for me!!!
Mum of 3 year old twins.
Had ICSI worked first time

Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what your gonna get!!

Missy

Superstar

Friday, January 6th 2006, 6:42pm

Are you ok?? Silly question.. have you taken any paracetamol??

Do you think you're in labour??

xxx

* CLICK *
TO SUPPORT FZ!

Missy

Superstar

Friday, January 6th 2006, 6:45pm

Have you been timing them?? Are they regular? Do you feel any more pressure down there or in your back than you've been feeliing since baby dropped in the last few days??

xxx

* CLICK *
TO SUPPORT FZ!

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Friday, January 6th 2006, 6:52pm

Sun, I'm going to keep an eye on this thread. If you feel that things aren't right then you really must go to the hospital.

The only thing that's 'good' is that you're having achey pains in between the cramps whereas in labour the breaks are pain free.

If you are seriously worried about these pains then you do need to go to the hospital. If they think you're in labour they may give you some steroids to help baby's lungs.

Even if the worst came to the worst and your baby was born right now it would be fine. It's fully developed and although it would be small and need to be kept extra warm and looked after, it's already ok to be born.

Don't forget that 'full term' is between 37 and 40 weeks. The average just happens to be around 40 weeks so that's what they say is 'normal'.

Friday, January 6th 2006, 7:05pm

timing now random - between 3-10 minutes.
Baby has always been low.
No paracetamol as I dont want to take the edge off, so I can keep an eye on what is happening, if that makes sense.
Right, TMI warning, but need to do a poo. See you in a bit! :D

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Friday, January 6th 2006, 7:15pm

I don't think there's such a thing as TMI on this site :D

Ok sun, if this pain carries on after you've been to the loo you really DO need to go and get yourself checked.

Friday, January 6th 2006, 7:16pm

hi sun

if this continues i would seriously go to the hospital

i am hoping its just braxton hicks but its sound familiar from when i had olivia at 26 weeks i had a water infection which was the initial aches and pains

go and get checked out just to be sure hun

thinking of you lovezoexx
me 31 dh 30
me severe pcos

Friday, January 6th 2006, 7:21pm

thanks sweeties
what is a "water infection"? you mean like a bladder/urinary infection or something different?

Friday, January 6th 2006, 7:24pm

hi hun

i had an infection in my bladder but when my waters broke it was also in the amniotic fluid

on the thursday night i had period pains and pain in my about every 10mins or so but was seeing the midwife the next day so didnt ring

i got a right telling off

get it checked just to be safe hun

im sure everything will be ok.

thinking of you lovezoexx
me 31 dh 30
me severe pcos

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Friday, January 6th 2006, 7:28pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Sunshine
thanks sweeties
what is a "water infection"? you mean like a bladder/urinary infection or something different?

Yeah, exactly that. It can irritate your uterus and cause contractions to start which is why it wont wait to be treated, it needs sorting out asap.

How are you since you went to the loo?

Friday, January 6th 2006, 7:30pm

sun you ok hun have you woken dh yet

i was in labour for 4 days and the first 3 were like period tye pains to be honest i thought contractions felt exactly like period pains but the worst you ever had but i guess everyone is differnt hun

i was given antibiotics and told to go home but my midwife kept sending me back good job she did really

just remembered what the infection was called

chorioamnioitis (SPELLING!)

love zoexx
me 31 dh 30
me severe pcos

Friday, January 6th 2006, 7:33pm

thanks gals - I really dont think I have a bladder infection as I have no probs going for a pee.
This is just so weird.
The only way I can get checked out is to go to the hospital.
I will wait another 90 minutes until DH wakes up (at 6am) and then if there are still pains, then yes, I will go.
Going to go and have a lie down on the couch and get some rest by cuddling pouty pussy cat (lazy arsed git has been asleep in his fleece since 8pm this evening and has barely moved!)
Will keep you updated as & when I can.

Sun x

Friday, January 6th 2006, 7:36pm

Bells - no different after a poo. Will go to the hospital shortly after 6am if there is no change.

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE