You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "Sunshine" started this thread

Reg: Oct 7th 2005

Thursday, January 5th 2006, 3:27am

low birthweight

I mentioned this in Jess' thread, but I dont want to thread-nap.

I'm a bit concerned.

Whilst I was at the hospital today having my first hospital ante-natal clinic, I had an HVS for Group B Strep (yay me, for asking).

Obstetrician went through my birth plan which basically consisted of "no pethidrine" and "no epidural" and "no elective casearian, but accepting of emergency if necessary". Wasnt much more to add.

But she said the baby was small. So I had an ultra-sound, and at 36 weeks the baby weighs about 2.3kg which is around 5lbs only. But she said the waters around the womb look ok, so the baby is healthy.

I then had a CGT which measures for 30 minutes the heartbeat, and any contractions. Seemed normal, no contractions, and only movement is when baby moves.

So I have to go back in 1 week again for another check-up.

I'm worried though :(
I just want a healthy baby ;(

pirhanachomp

Unregistered

Thursday, January 5th 2006, 3:30am

Hun 5lbs is fine! I was 5lbs 4 ozs when I was born! you've still got weeks off your due date yet!!

everything will be fine hun! :D

Jessica x x

Reg: Oct 3rd 2005

Thursday, January 5th 2006, 6:46am

Hi Sunshine

hopefully more people will be on here soon to reassure you re 5lb being ok. I'm sure I've read that the baby usually has a growth spurt in the last few weeks. Hopefully your baby will arrive close to your due date (or a little after) giving the longest possible time between then & now to get a little bigger.

When do you finish work?

take care, love Flori xx

I will be a Mum!
TTC a few years.
12 months Clomid - BFN! Getting acupuncture/reflexology. Hypothyroid.
First IVF - put on hold Jan. 2006 due to thyroid problem
Young at heart 40 year old! [zx078]

cookie

Superstar

• "cookie" is no longer a member of FZ

Thursday, January 5th 2006, 7:51am

sunshine, one of my best friends had a baby at 41 weeks and she was 4lb 10oz! sweety your baby is doing fine! and they gain the most weight between now and birth,something like 1/2 an oz per day i think, but im sure bells will be able to tell you. so baby will probably be about 6 1/2lb!
my friends baby altho small was fine and didnt need any special care for being small, and she is a right bruiser now, shes 20 months old and weighs as much as my 3 yr old! :D
cheer up sweety, youll be meeting your little one very soon! :D :D :D

I'm running down the road like loose electricity, while the band in my head plays a strip tease!

cookie

Superstar

Thursday, January 5th 2006, 7:52am

sunshine and jess! what time were you up till??? blimey!!! :D

I'm running down the road like loose electricity, while the band in my head plays a strip tease!

Thursday, January 5th 2006, 8:01am

Hey Sunshine

DO NOT worry yourself. For a start 5lb is fine. My friend had her baby last year and they worried her from 30wks about the weight of the baby. Right up until the labour they kept saying he would be around 5lb ish. Gabriel was born, and he was 7lb 12oz.

The baby puts on most of it's weight in the last few weeks so pleases don't upset yourself hun x
LR
Me 32, hypothyroid,
I have 2 beautiful boys 8 & 6, and one beautiful girl
1st ICSI - 15 eggs - Oct 05 - BFN
2nd ICSI - 22 eggs - egg sharer -Feb 2006 - BFN
I'm a single parent.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Giggles" (Jan 5th 2006, 8:01am)

Thursday, January 5th 2006, 8:29am

thanks ladies - it's just after sooooo many years of trying and then getting this little miracle, I am so scared of losing him :(

I finish work in two weeks time (at 38 weeks). I was thinking of lasting out longer, especially if sproglet looks like he may take longer to arrive, but I dont want to overstress him either by carrying on working.

Thing is I get 16 weeks total, so every week before he arrives is a week earlier that I have to leave him :(

cookie - I live in SEA so it was lunch time for me then. God knows what it was for Jess though - the gal is a loony! :)

Thursday, January 5th 2006, 8:33am

If I was you, I'd finish at 38 wks (I did with my two ds's) and pull a sickie for a month or two after maternity leave runs out.

Although I don't know what the rules are out there about employment etc - but it's worth a thought if you can get away with it
LR
Me 32, hypothyroid,
I'm a single parent.

secrets

Thursday, January 5th 2006, 8:45am

Sun
Not to worry, you may just carry small, my sister has had 5 children and they have all weighed just over 5lb.
I was told my son was about 4lb 4weeks before he was born and had weekly scans also but when he popped out he was 6lb so not to worry, your baby will be fine.
Just buy some prem baby clothes coz 0-3months is like a blanket on the smaller ones :)
icsi - m/c 05
icsi bfp 2009 twins born nov 2009

Reg: Sep 27th 2005

Thursday, January 5th 2006, 9:50am

Sun - I understand your worry, but please try not to.

As soon as they're 5 lbs, they're far less likely to need an incubator, so even if he was born today, he'd be ok. Babies tend to gain about half a pound in weight in each of the final weeks, so if you went to 40 weeks, he'd be the perfect 7 lbs. My DS was 7 lbs 0 oz, so I can assure you it's a perfect weight!! ;) Don't even think about the 8, 9 or 10 lb babies you read about. If you're slim, and you've eaten a healthy, low-fat diet, which it sounds as though you have, then he's going to be as fit and healthy as he could be - just no excess unnecessary fat on him.

Finally, and then I'll stop, if they checked you and found that the amniotic fluid looked fine, and that the placenta was fine, then that's extra reassurance.

Take care, Sun. Just be glad you haven't got a bruiser in there!

Limpet
Had a total of three fresh IVF cycles and three frozen transfers (embryos and blastocysts)
m/c @ 11 weeks in 2007 DS1 and DS2 born from fresh IVF cycles :D
:D

Thursday, January 5th 2006, 10:01am

I'm with you on the Low Fat Limpet. I ate everything in sight with my second, and he was 10lb 2.5oz, lol. I'm normally 9st 4ib, but I went up to 14st on my second. Luckily I lost it all (but put 1st on with ICSI :()
LR
Me 32, hypothyroid,
I'm a single parent.

cookie

Superstar

Thursday, January 5th 2006, 10:06am

jess is in labour! thats why she was on at 3!!!! :D i didnt know fz was over seas too! cool! :D

Thursday, January 5th 2006, 10:35am

thanks again ladies - Limpet - that's the weirdest thing - I have put on 1/3 to 1/2 extra of my body weight - gone from 51/2 kg to now 69.5 kg,
I originally got scanned in case the baby was too big! 8o ?(

7lbs sounds fine to me :D
I dont want a heavier baby - just a healthy baby :)

Lisa - might be hard here to pull a sickie - my boss' boss lives next door and is friends with my hubby :rolleyes: wouldnt be able to get away with it. If push comes to shove (not a phrase a pregnant woman should really use, but never mind :D ) then I'll just take annual leave for a couple of weeks afterwards.

Thursday, January 5th 2006, 10:40am

Ohhhh living nextdoor to the boss' boss isn't good Sun, lol.

The docs discovered that I had an underactive thyroid after my 2nd. I had to have an extra month off while the tabs sorted it out.

Can't you think of anything pregnancy/labour related that you could get a sick note for?
LR
Me 32, hypothyroid,
I'm a single parent.

cookie

Superstar

Thursday, January 5th 2006, 10:43am

bad back is a good one! cant proove your fibbing with that one really......not that im encouraging this behavior ;) :D

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "cookie" (Jan 5th 2006, 10:44am)

Thursday, January 5th 2006, 10:46am

Just make sure the boss' boss doesn't see you lifting anything - sorted
LR
Me 32, hypothyroid,
I'm a single parent.

Thursday, January 5th 2006, 10:49am

Lisa - nah, not really. pretty darn healthy me.
cookie - could be a good un - but might be hard to prove to boss' boss (who by the way moved next door to us AFTER we had moved in, so just bad luck there! :D ) when he will be able to see me hefting bubs around and up and down the stairs - we live on the first floor.

but thanks :D you've both made me smile :D

heck, at least I get more than the local ladies who only get 10 weeks of paid leave! 8o

cookie

Superstar

Thursday, January 5th 2006, 10:50am

thats it.......and say ouch ever now and again, or that sucky noise through your teeth and look pained!!! :] tee-hee!
your boss doesnt read fz does she??? [zx122]

Missy

Superstar

Thursday, January 5th 2006, 11:11am

Aww, Damn those medics for making you worry.. I was just going to say what Limpet had said about the half pound a week, so on average you are looking at a 7lber, which with your frame I would say is about right! In the uk, a baby with low birthweight is under 5lb, so as long as he's over that he will be fine! I would say that the extra weight you have gained then is due to your water retention :( I weighed 7lb and I was 2 weeks overdue.

xxx

4 baby angels, forever in our hearts

* CLICK *
TO SUPPORT FZ!

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Thursday, January 5th 2006, 12:09pm

I can only echo what the others have said.

The average height and weight for a lady is about 5ft 6 and about 10-11 stone. The average size of her baby is 7lb 6oz. The average size of a baby at 36 weeks gestation is 2.5 kilos so that's about 5.5lbs. (you're almost spot on the average!)

Averages averages averages!!!!!! :D

You were only tiny before you got pregnant weren't you? So a 7lb 6oz baby would be on the big side for you wouldn't it? If your baby continues to grow at the 'average rate' then it will probably be around the 7lb mark won't it? ...and that's BIG for a dinky dot like you. There's a whole month for your baby to lay down fat so it's got plenty of time to make up a pound or two. I don't know why they even mentioned it to you, it sounds perfectly fine to me.

Even if your baby was born right now... 5lb is a respectable weight! 5lb babies do very well. A full term baby at 5 and a half pounds would have no problems, be considered normal and be sent home with its Mum without any worries.

Put all worries of low birthweights RIGHT out of your mind. That baby of yours is fine, it's get plenty of time to get fat and whether it's 5lb or 10lb ( 8o ) it's going to be healthy.

Missy

Superstar

Thursday, January 5th 2006, 12:27pm

I was going to say about averages too Bells!! But I would never shut up!!! :D

xxx

4 baby angels, forever in our hearts

* CLICK *
TO SUPPORT FZ!

Thursday, January 5th 2006, 12:28pm

:D Hi Sun,

Please try not to worry (ha ha ha!!) my son was born at 35 weeks/ 5 days & he was 4 pounds 8 ounces & he was absolutely fine!

You will get there & I can't wait for your birth announcment - I remember all your heartbreak from early last year so I can understand you being worried.

Dolly
x

Diagnosed PCOS Dec 04
Very lucky as have one ds already
M/C Feb 2006

Lap & Dye on 10th May found that left fallopian tube completely blocked/ Hydrosalpinx & pelvic wall adhesions also to left. Another Lap 19th July to remove tube but cons fixed it! A wonderful BFP 22.8.06!. Sadly m/c 27.9.06

ZIG

Ace

Reg: Oct 4th 2005

Children: Isabella Mae (ICSI No.3) and Ruby Olivia (natural)

Thursday, January 5th 2006, 4:28pm

You and your babba are going to be fine, Sun hun.

Big or small, he'll come out shouting and you'll forget about how worried you've been feeling. Then in comes this 'new' worry called "He's here now - what do I do? Should he sound like that? Why is he doing that? Has he stopped breathing.........." etc etc etc. I'm telling you, it never bloody ends! But it's a 'good' worry.

Enjoy your last few weeks as you prepare for "B"Day!

Sending you lots of hugs
Zig xxx
Me 38, DH 44. 2002-2004 2x ICSI's, 1x egg donation. Changed clinics for own eggs ICSI/tx no.4 - BFP 27/4/05! Mummy to Isabella after early c-section 15/12/05, due to LLP. Baby No.2 (huge 'natural' surprise!) Ruby Olivia arrived 29/09/07 via emergency c-section.

Friday, January 6th 2006, 3:36am

thanks again ladies

how're you doing Zig?

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE