You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

• "Bells" started this thread
  • United Kingdom

Thursday, January 11th 2007, 11:33am

Coughs, Colds and Sniffles in Early Pregnancy.

Your immune system is lowered slightly during pregnancy in order to stop your body rejecting your unborn baby. This means that you are more vulnerable to viral infections, such as coughs, colds and flu.

You can't protect yourself from every cold virus, but you can help to boost your immune system by following these tips from NHS Direct:

• Eat a healthy diet including plenty of fresh fruit, vegetables and wholegrain foods - a balance of these will give you minerals and antioxidant vitamins, such as vitamin C, which help to fight infections.

• Swap caffeinated drinks for herbal teas, water or fruit juice - these can help flush out your system and boost your levels of vitamins and minerals.

• Make sure you get plenty of rest and try to keep your stress levels to a minimum.

• If you smoke, give it up, as it damages your immune system. Find out more about quitting during pregnancy.

• Keep fit - exercise can help boost your circulation and your immune system. (Find out more about exercising safely in pregnancy).

You may also choose to take a vitamin and mineral supplement specifically formulated for pregnant women but, apart from folic acid, a varied and well-balanced diet usually gives you all the vitamins and minerals you need during pregnancy.

You should never use over-the-counter remedies or herbal remedies without first checking with your midwife, GP or pharmacist that they are safe to take during pregnancy.

Many aren't, as they contain substances, such as decongestants, that haven't been tested for safety during pregnancy and could affect your baby's development and health. Some contain caffeine and even alcohol.

If you need to take painkillers, it's safe to take the recommended dose of paracetamol. However, you should avoid aspirin as it can affect your baby's development in the early weeks and, in late pregnancy, affect the onset and length of your labour.

Ibuprofen, codeine and painkillers that contain a combination of drugs should be avoided, too.

Avoid taking large doses of vitamin C as this can give you stomach ache, wind and diarrhoea. The recommended daily allowance of Vitamin C for adults is 40mg.

Vapour rubs, such as Vicks, and non-medicated cough lozenges are both safe. If you need more information you can speak to a trained nurse about over-the-counter medicines on the Consumer Health Information Centre (CHIC) advice line 0208 742 7042 or call NHS Direct on 0845 4647.

There are lots of safe, natural ways to help alleviate cough and cold symptoms:

• Eat nutritious foods - a well-balanced diet, including plenty of fresh fruit and vegetables will give you the right amounts of vitamins and minerals, carbohydrate, protein and fat.

• For a cold with a stuffy nose, try a steam inhalation. With a towel over your head, lean over a bowl of hot water with two or three drops of eucalyptus oil or Olbas oil added and inhale to help clear the congestion.

• For a sore throat and cough, make up a soothing drink of hot water, honey and lemon.

• Gargling with salt water or sucking throat sweets can help ease a sore throat.

• Rest when you feel you need to - sleep helps your body to heal itself.

• Drink plenty of fluids to replace those lost through all the extra mucus your body is producing or sweating, if you have a fever. Warm drinks are especially soothing when you have a cold - try rosehip tea, which is rich in vitamin C.

The symptoms of flu - fever, headaches, chills, achiness, fatigue and loss of appetite - can really lay you low when pregnant. This is your body's way of telling you that you need to take it easy.

Drink plenty of fluids, especially if you have a fever, to avoid dehydration. Vitamin C-rich fruit juices, such as orange juice, will help you fight off the infection, while a drink of hot water, lemon and honey will help soothe a sore throat.

Try not to get overheated, as it is best to maintain a normal temperature - paracetamol can help control your temperature. (Read more on treating a fever safely in pregnancy).

Although you won't feel like eating at first, when you do, try to eat something nutritious, such as fruit, wholegrain toast, or a warm, milky drink. Get plenty of bed rest, nap when you feel the need and don't get up or go back to work until you are fully recovered.

If you're not getting better within a few days, go and see your GP as a secondary infection may have set in. During pregnancy it's not recommended that you have a flu vaccine unless your doctor advises you otherwise or you are a healthcare professional working directly with patients.

However uncomfortable you may feel when you have flu, rest assured that your baby is well protected against the virus within your womb. However, if you have a very high temperature, seek the advice of your GP.

You can help yourself by taking the recommended dose of paracetamol, which is safe to use while pregnant, and getting as much rest as you can. It's important that you give yourself time to recover completely before picking up your daily routine again.

If you have a persistent cough or cold that doesn't seem to be lifting, talk to your GP as you may have a secondary infection, such as a chest infection, that will need treatment. If you have any worries about your health, always consult your GP or midwife who won't mind answering your queries, however minor you may feel they are.

There are many antibiotics which are safe to take during pregnancy, but some aren't, so make sure your doctor knows you are pregnant before prescribing for you.

Penicillins are safe to take, but tetracyclines can cause minor fetal abnormalities early in pregnancy and cause discolouration of your baby's first and permanent teeth if given later in pregnancy.

Never take antibiotics that are left over from a previous prescription and always finish the course you are given.

Reg: Oct 7th 2005

Thursday, January 11th 2007, 11:44am

oooh - well, ginger is forbidden to pregnant ladies here in asia because it heats up the stomach too much (according to local folk lore).

Reg: Oct 10th 2005

Thursday, January 11th 2007, 1:20pm

Bells
Thank you soooo much for this
I am feeling so ill. Going to hace a read as battling with my conscience at the moment re taking paracetemol.
I want BENALYIN !!!!!

Caz xxx

Me 39, DH 39 ICSI Nov '06 BFP

FET Dec '10 - ET Dec 16th - Test Day 31/12/10

Reg: Oct 19th 2006

Friday, February 16th 2007, 7:45am

Thanks from me also! I've had bad sinus pain & headaches for about a week, and now I get a sore throat & cough! Good to know some things I can take

Jamie
xxxxx

TTC since '05, low progesterone, PCOS
was waiting for AF to start for 1st round of clomid
<3 Shock natural :BFP: 14th Feb '07! <3

(provisional ticker til dating scan!)

compley

Megastar

Reg: Apr 30th 2006

Children: DS and DD

Thursday, March 1st 2007, 8:37pm

i think ive got a cold coming, had sore throat today, so reading this thread has reassured me, so thanks!

<

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

• United Kingdom

Thursday, March 1st 2007, 9:04pm

It often coincides with a BFP Laura. Sore throat, coldy feelings, a bit crappy ....it's all good :]

kski

Ace

Reg: Mar 26th 2006

Tuesday, March 20th 2007, 7:23pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Bells
It often coincides with a BFP Laura. Sore throat, coldy feelings, a bit crappy ....it's all good :]

how true
I have had two doses of cold which has coincided with a BFP bells !
as Mrs K has grabbed all the duvet and left me to wake up freezing !!!
Sympathetic symptoms !

k
DAD to twins

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

• United Kingdom

Tuesday, March 20th 2007, 7:42pm

Errr yeah...... I don't think it applies to men mmmmmm ... unless your HCG levels are a bit dodgy... [zx230]

nice try though :D

United Kingdom

Reg: Mar 18th 2008

Children: 1 son from our first ICSI treatment in 2008.

Monday, June 16th 2008, 10:13am

What can I take for a sore throat?

I've got a sore throat & cough at the moment.

Paracetamol isn't really going to help as it's more irritating than hurting.
Any recommendations for something to help?

Cheers
xxx

2nd ICSI Nov 2010. :BFP:

1 previous successful IVF with ICSI (taken to blasto stage)
Resulting in my gorgeous son born 04.01.09

Setting out on a second IVF journey - Diary

Eeyore

TECHNICAL ADMIN

United Kingdom

Reg: Sep 27th 2005

What's Up?
Manners are appreciated
and free to use

Monday, June 16th 2008, 10:16am

Hiya

There is a really good thread here that I hope helps

Coughs, Colds and Sniffles in Early Pregnancy.

x

My journey has now ended. 6 babies in Heaven.

'It'll be all right in the end - if it isn't all right yet then it isn't the end!'

mayo

Star

Reg: Jan 17th 2008

Children: 3 big boys ( born '03,'06 & '08)

Monday, June 16th 2008, 10:22am

I like having a hot drink made with oranges/lemons boiled up in water with some honey stirred in....really soothes the irritation. Or even just a spoonful of honey on its own.
Gargle with warm salt water also helps but may well make you want to throw up, so maybe not that!
Not sure about what/if there are meds that are ok...sorry.
Mayo

baby boy born Aug. '03
baby boy born April '06
m/c June '07 at 5w
m/c Oct '07 at 6w
m/c Dec '07 at 4w 4d
baby boy born Dec '08
m/c March '10 at 6w

United Kingdom

Reg: Mar 18th 2008

Children: 1 son from our first ICSI treatment in 2008.

Monday, June 16th 2008, 10:35am

Thanks girls.

I'll take a look at that link too.

I've just made a hot citrus tea so hopefully that'll soothe it for a while.

2nd ICSI Nov 2010. :BFP:

1 previous successful IVF with ICSI (taken to blasto stage)
Resulting in my gorgeous son born 04.01.09

Setting out on a second IVF journey - Diary

chatterbox

Reg: Nov 30th 2007

Children: Two heaven sent miracles!

What's Up?
blowkiss

Saturday, June 21st 2008, 11:56pm

Boiling water poured over a thick wedge of lemon, give it a good sgwidging with a tea spoon so that the lemon breaks up a bit.

Large teaspoon of honey to sweeten and away you go!!

honey is also a natural antisceptic. :D

Me 40 DH 35 TTC 10yr
peritoneal mesothelioma, cystectomy 97 & 00
peritonectomy, lost both tubes & most of left ovary Aug 07

Dec 07 BFP b/ov m/c 9.6wk
July 08 BFN
Dec 08 BFP b/ov m/c 9.6wk

July 09 BFN
Nov 09 BFP 2 x sacs 1 b/o 1 no hrtbt m/c 9.2wk
May10 BFP at 8+4 m/mc @10wk scan ERPC

Found: High NK cells, DQ Alpha match, LAD neg & PAI-1 pos...

NOV 2010 - Immune IVF at CARE Manchester
:BFP: [zx076] :girl: born 25/8/11

OCT 2012 - Immune IVF at CARE Manchester
:BFP: [zx076] :boy: born 24/6/13

donz

• "donz" is no longer a member of FZ

Reg: Feb 28th 2008

Children: Been blessed twice, Im so lucky!

Sunday, September 14th 2008, 2:49pm

Im 7 wks pg today and I feel rotten with a cold and sniffley nose. It keeps my mind off the sickness etc though lol.

34 DH 31
TTC 5yrs
1 x IVF BFN
1 x FET BFN
3 x Clomid BFN
2 x I.U.I BFN

Torisen

Reg: Jan 1st 2006

Sunday, September 14th 2008, 8:55pm

donz, I am day 5 of nasty cold so you got my sympathies!!!
ICSI Jan 2006 - BFP
MC one twin at 6 weeks
DS born in Oct 2006
BF DS 10 months 3 weeks and 5 days
FET 11/07, ICSI 12/07 (ABANDONED), ICSI 2/08, IUI 5/08 - BFN
Clomid IUI 7/08 BFP MC a twin... again :(

Reg: Oct 26th 2007

Children: One very beautiful daughter!

Sunday, September 14th 2008, 8:58pm

I am getting a sore throat! I thought at first I was just thirsty, now I can tell that my throat is sore.

Are throat lozenges ok? Think I might just stick to honey

ICSI March 2008 BFP, then early m/c, Natural BFP May 2008, m/c at 6 weeks
Natural :BFP: 08/08/08!!!

Torisen

Sunday, September 14th 2008, 9:04pm

Only take the simple strepsils but ask your pharmacist first. I would only take these if you really had to.
Most of my lozengers have big pregnancy warnings.

Hot water, lemon and honey in buckets.
Lemon is anticeptic.

Good nose clearer as you can't use lots of the sprays are plain saline spray or head over a bucket of hot water.
Bucket of boiling water also helps cough...
ICSI Jan 2006 - BFP
MC one twin at 6 weeks
DS born in Oct 2006

Reg: Oct 26th 2007

Children: One very beautiful daughter!

Sunday, September 14th 2008, 9:12pm

I want to make a ginger tea, but i know if I drink now I will be up in the middle of the night to pee! DOH!

ICSI March 2008 BFP, then early m/c, Natural BFP May 2008, m/c at 6 weeks
Natural :BFP: 08/08/08!!!

Torisen

Sunday, September 14th 2008, 9:22pm

qwerty, if you DON'T drink it then you might be up all night making hot drinks instead :)
ICSI Jan 2006 - BFP
MC one twin at 6 weeks
DS born in Oct 2006

mary 34

Reg: Sep 6th 2008

Children: 2 step children

Friday, September 19th 2008, 2:56pm

Thanks for the info Bells I have a rotten cold infact had it all week but not due to do test untill next Wed so hear's hoping it's a BFP then the cold will have been worth it
mary

Reg: Nov 12th 2007

Children: 1 beautiful baby girl, our little miracle!

Friday, October 17th 2008, 9:18am

Are Halls Soothers ok to take while pg?

Feel daft asking but I'd only worry if I didn't and had them! I have a sore throat and blocked nose. These should be ok to take shouldn't they?

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "picklesmum" (Oct 17th 2008, 9:18am)

mrsjasper

Megastar

Reg: Nov 2nd 2005

Children: 2 gorgeous girls

Friday, October 17th 2008, 9:19am

Yes they wil be fine. Not so good for your teeth thoguh so make sure you brush well!

Reg: Nov 12th 2007

Children: 1 beautiful baby girl, our little miracle!

Friday, October 17th 2008, 9:20am

Thank you!

kanga

Reg: Oct 30th 2008

Children: Burton BCRM

Wednesday, November 5th 2008, 8:55pm

think everyone has got a cold now, are we passing it on through this site ...lol...slept most of today...a good excuse. i have only had 1 blood test since BFP and not been told about another one. got scan on 20th nov. reading posts i seem to think lots of you have had more...am i worried about nothing. hate having blood tests but would sooner be having them to keep mind at ease. please let me know if you not had many too xx ?(

mrsjasper

Megastar

Wednesday, November 5th 2008, 9:05pm

Kanga, I have only had one lot taken when I had my 12 week scan at the hospital. Unless you are poorly or there is a need to check HCG levels eg with bleeding, then there's really no need to have blood taken frequently.

kanga

Reg: Oct 30th 2008

Children: Burton BCRM

Thursday, November 6th 2008, 8:48pm

thanks mrs jasper, think i am just worrying cause feel really ill at mo with cold, got a very poorly dog too, trying to cheer myself with food but keep tasting bananas and i hate them....yuk. thanks xx :P

Reg: Mar 6th 2007

Sunday, December 21st 2008, 6:21pm

I have got a really nasty cough and it's making my throat really sore as well, is there anything "safe" that I can take or should I just stick to honey, lemon etc ......... ?
ME 42 DH 42
H'copy Nov 05
2 Early m/c 06
March 07 Early m'pause.Ovaries inactive
IVF Aug 07 No response to drugs Adoption only optn
MIRACLE BFP Oct 08 !!

Reg: Nov 18th 2006

Children: 1 toddler, Billy

Thursday, January 29th 2009, 12:59pm

I have got a dreadful cold :( just drinking honey and lemon but it doesnt do much :(
Married to a gorgeous man. Mummy to a gorgeous boy born 31.10.07 & beautiful girl born 25.08.09 - both conceived with the help of Clomid
x Never been happier x

Reg: Sep 13th 2009

Children: Barts london

Monday, November 30th 2009, 9:42pm

hey all

I am 7 weeks preg, and i have a rotten cold! i am sneezing so much! and i have a sore throat, I have been in bed all day and im in bed nice and early now!!!! Plenty of rest is what i recommend.

I am drinking honey and lemon and lets hope it makes a different, I was told not to take any over the counter medication with out asking your doctor/midwife.

I Hope you all get well soon,

Sheen xxx

lots of luck and baby dust going out! xxxxxxxxx
Good Luck everyone

FC79

Ace

Reg: May 19th 2009

Tuesday, September 21st 2010, 9:22am

cough and cold at 5 weeks

Hello, I think Im just after some re-assurance really!

Im 5 weeks and 3 days pregnant with my first baby after having a frozen embryo transfer. On Friday (4 days ago) I came down with a nasty cold and since then I havent been sleeping as I have been bunged up and coughing through the night. I cough so much I am almost sick at some points and its a really deep hard cough that hurts my stomach. I am really worried that this is causing harm to the pregnancy. I did phone my clinic yesterday and she said having a cold wasnt any harm, but I still worry.

Another thing is I was having really strong pg symptoms at the beginning even before I found out and now Im feeling so awful with the cold I dont even feel pregnant anymore. Im hoping its just that I feel so rubbish, sick and tired cos of the cold, its masking the symptoms.

Feeling pretty rubbish and dont want to sound silly thinking you can cough yourself to miscarry as I know this cant happen, but its just taken us so long to get here and now Im ill and feeling so rubbish that I cant help worrying.

Reg: Jun 6th 2008

Tuesday, September 21st 2010, 9:46am

Hi FC,

I'm just about getting over my cold now but felt pretty awful too. It's hard because we can't take much to help alleviate symptoms. I kept making myself honey and lemon hot drinks which helped with my sore throat. I know this sounds disgusting but I also found that when taking a shower was the best time to blow my nose as the steam thinned the mucus making it easier....I always felt better after a warm shower. I know you feel terrible right now but just try and rest up as much as possible so that your body can recover and you'll be feeling like your preggers self again in no time x

FC79

Ace

Reg: May 19th 2009

Tuesday, September 21st 2010, 11:04am

Thank you Kayjay, I suppose its only natural to worry, and I'll just have to hang in there.

Reg: Jul 20th 2010

Children: 1

Monday, October 11th 2010, 6:30pm

Oh my god! I have just read the post about Ginger..... I've been drinking ginger tea by the bucket loads to settle my stomach and I now have a cold - is it really not recommended?
[zx145] BonBon xxx (TTC 3 years, Male Factor,1st ICSI August 2010, BFP 16th September smile2 )

United Kingdom

Reg: Aug 1st 2010

Children: 1st ICSI - Perfect baby boy born 2011, 2nd ICSI - BFN

Thursday, December 23rd 2010, 8:15am

Does anyone know any alternatives to honey and lemon, i cant stand honey so its a no no for me.

Any recommendations very much appreciated xx

mrsjasper

Megastar

Thursday, December 23rd 2010, 8:26am

Hot vimto or blackcurrant is nice Shelley.

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE