You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "ashastar" started this thread

Reg: Mar 20th 2013

Monday, May 22nd 2017, 1:43pm

Private FET in Belfast

Hi ladies,

I was just wondering if anyone has gone privately for a FET in Belfast and can advise me of what I need to do to get the ball rolling? I have one little embryo in storage at the RFC and would like to have it transferred in the coming months. Does anyone know do you have to be referred again by your GP or can you just call the RFC directly? Also, does anyone have any experience of origin or gcrm and would recommend transferring to them instead of RFC? It's my last embryo so want to make sure I give it the best chance possible.

Many thanks xx
Ashastar

IVF June 2014 :BFN: :tear:
FET Nov 2014 :BFP: smile2

Pb85

Ace

Reg: Jun 8th 2014

Monday, May 22nd 2017, 7:07pm

Hi I have had a private cycle with rfc and gcrm. Unfortunately I never had anything to freeze so all mine were fresh cycles. For rfc or gcrm you just need to phone them to get things going. Although if you decide to go to a different clinic you would be advised to get your notes off rfc . Think I paid £40 for them and it took 2 or 3 weeks.
In rfc my nhs cycle went really well, unfortunately my private cycle I had a really bad egg collection so that's my reason for going to gcrm for my third attempt and they were brilliant.
Any more questions ask away.
X

Monday, May 22nd 2017, 10:59pm

Hi PB85, thanks for your reply. I had a successful cycle at the RFC about a year and a half ago and I had always thought that since it was a positive experience I would just go there again however now that I only have the one embryo left I'm wondering if I would get better treatment at one of the private clinics. I've heard a lot of people say that when they've went private at the RFC they haven't been treated any better than during their NHS cycle.

I'm not going to do anything for a couple of months as I want to try to prepare myself by eating healthier etc but lots to think about in the meantime! Do you know do you get to choose which consultant you are with when you are private? We had dr Williamson before and she was brilliant. Xx
Ashastar

Reg: Sep 28th 2016

Tuesday, May 23rd 2017, 6:30pm

Good luck Ashastar. I had my first IVF cycle with RFC which failed in January. I am now on my 2nd week of down reg for FET with RFC. I must say I found RFC excellent during my first cycle even if it didn't work. I was wondering if you had any tips for FET? Or if you did anything different from your fresh cycle?
Xxxxxxxxxx

Pb85

Ace

Reg: Jun 8th 2014

Tuesday, May 23rd 2017, 7:23pm

Hi ashastar, there was no difference in treatment from NHS cycle and private cycle in rfc.. My doctor was dr McManus and I only ever seen her for my reviews, it just seems to be whoever is there that day. It was really only the doctor I had my collection with I had an issue with. He and the nurses were arguing and I was in a lot of pain and he would not let them give me anymore pain relief and I have a good pain threshold, he wasn't pleasant at all and there was a few more issues. My husband was actually really annoyed and said we won't be going back there. That's not to say that gcrm would do things any differently but I do prefer them.
X

Sunday, May 28th 2017, 11:17am

Thanks ladies. I will probably just stick with RFC as that's where my embryo is. I didn't have any complaints with them previously, just want the best chance.

Pb85, that's awful that the doctor and nurses were arguing during your ec. How unprofessional! I hope your next experience is better.

JMcK I did a few things differently with my fet although obviously I don't know if they actually made any difference. I took the week after transfer off work and rested and slept loads in the mornings and just did light exercise like walking my dog in the afternoon. I also ate pineapple including the core and Brazil nuts for the first five days. No idea if they helped but I'd read they helped with implantation so thought it was worth a go! Good luck with your fet xx
Ashastar

Thursday, June 15th 2017, 8:03pm

Thanks Ashastar, I've also read about pineapple and brazil nuts being good for implantation. Give anything a go! I had my tracking scan this morning, so all systems go for FET next Thursday.
Xxxxxxxxxx

Thursday, June 15th 2017, 10:03pm

Good luck JMcK! Let us know how you get on xx
Ashastar

Ally333

Reg: Jan 18th 2017

Friday, June 16th 2017, 7:15pm

Hi jmck sorry to but it, could you please explain what happens with a FET? I've just assumed when my body is ready they would just defrost it and put it in? I'm there again on the 3rd of July so what is the plan usually? They cancelled mine after egg collection last week due to mild OHSS but finally feel normal again m. Thanks

Saturday, June 17th 2017, 8:19am

Hi Ally333, no problem at all. I had a failed fresh cycle in January but have 6 frosties left. The way it's worked me was at my review appointment my husband and I signed consent forms for FET, we then had to go on FET waiting list and wait for our top of the list letter. Once received I had to ring to accept it then wait for an appointment where we went and got medication and schedule. I had to wait until day 21 of my cycle before I could start the down reg medication. Medication started with synarel spray, twice daily. I was on this for 30 days in total (only finished yesterday) On the 18th day of taking the spray I started on estrogen tablets to start thickening the lining of my womb. I was on 1 tablet for 4 days, 2 tablets for 4 days and then 3 tablets for 4 days. At this stage you stop the nasal spray but up the estrogen tablets to 4 a day and also start taking crinone gel twice a day. Sorry I should have said that on day 14, I think it was, of taking the tablets I went for a scan to check the lining of the womb is thickening ok. This is the only hospital appointment you will have prior to embryo transfer. Once you have this appointment and all is ok the following week you have to ring the embryology lab at 12 midday to check if your wee embryo has survived the thaw and if so you come in a few hours later for embryo transfer.
Sorry that was probably way more information that you wanted! Lol. Hope that answered your question though, nothing is simple or straight forward with IVF.

Poppy39

Reg: Feb 12th 2017

Thursday, August 10th 2017, 12:14pm

Hi jmck, our first cycle just failed so devastated at the moment! Thankfully we have two embies frozen and so trying to stay positive. Do u recall how long it took you to receive your review appoiintment after sending your letter confirming the results of the cycle? The wait the first time round was so long and whilst I'm sure the FET waiting list isn't as long, I have no idea what to expect! My results letter that I need to send back says I should expect a consultation letter in 10-12 weeks. Is the waiting list after the review appointment long! I couldn't seem to get an answer from rfc when I rang. :(

Reg: Apr 15th 2014

Thursday, August 10th 2017, 9:28pm

Hi Poppy- sorry to read about your cycle, but good to focus on your two frozen embryos. I had Fet through the NHS 4-5 months ago so the timings for your Fet cycle may be similar.

I waited 12 weeks for a review appointment. I was told there wasn't a long waiting time for Fet- 1-2 months. One week later I got my 'top of the list' letter. I had to wait a month to get my appointment with the nurse to go through the protocol etc. Just the way my cycle fell I had to wait 3 weeks to start. It was 6 weeks of spray and tablets, with one scan before ET.

Take care of yourself.

Saturday, February 3rd 2018, 10:12pm

Hi, I know this is an old thread but I am hoping any of you ladies that have been or are going through a FET cycle can help me. I am currently going through a private FET at RFC. I had a failed NHS IVF in January 2017 and a failed NHS FET in July. The only difference between my NHS FET cycle and this one is I am taking the pill (Microgynon) instead of the nasal spray. I have been on the pill for just over 5 weeks now and was told to take a 4 day break from all medication before starting Progynova. Today is the 3rd day of the 4 day break and I'm pretty sure the nurse told me I would have a bleed during these 4 days but I haven't had anything. I'm going to ring the nursing line in the morning but was just wondering if anyone could shed any light? Xxxxxxxxxx

Sunday, February 4th 2018, 12:19pm

I rang the nursing line this morning at RFC and was told some people have a bleed and others don't and not to worry. Panic over, I start Progynova tomorrow with embryo transfer scheduled for 23rd February. Xxxxxxxxxx

Sunday, February 4th 2018, 2:20pm

Hi JMcK, glad you got sorted. There's always something to worry about! We are almost at the same stage. I'm also having a private fet at the rfc. My ET is 28th Feb xx
Ashastar

Sunday, February 4th 2018, 3:26pm

Thanks Ashastar. Would you believe since my earlier message I have started to bleed now. Typical! Lol. I can't believe we are practically at the same stage. How are you keeping? Xxxxxxxxxx

Sunday, February 4th 2018, 4:00pm

Lol that's always the way. It must be because you stopped worrying about it! I'm keeping ok, what about you? I'm on the spray but haven't really had any side effects or anything which is a bit worrying in case it isn't working! Makes me feel like I'm not really doing anything. I start the tablets on Saturday. Are you going to take time off work after your transfer? I don't know what to do.
Ashastar

Sunday, February 4th 2018, 4:38pm

I used the spray for my first fresh cycle and had no side effects though used it for my first FET and took a really bad reaction so that's why I'm on the pill this time. Who is your consultant? Mine is Dr McManus. When I had my first FET they had difficulty doing the embryo transfer so Dr McManus decided to do a mock transfer before my FET this time. She had difficulty doing it again and she couldn't actually get the catheter into my womb. It ended up I had have a day surgery about a week and a half ago to investigate what was going on. It turns out my cervical canal is 'crooked '. That's how Dr McManus put it anyway. I wasn't sure what that meant for my FET but Dr McManus is happy to go ahead though she said it will be tricky (which I think is another word for painful! Lol!) I took a few days off after my previous embryo transfers so I probably will do the same this time. What about you? Xxxxxxxxxx

Sunday, February 4th 2018, 5:48pm

Oh goodness that sounds painful although it's good they know about it now. I'm with dr agbaje. Not that I'm expecting to see him again. You just seem to get whoever is there in the day, don't you? Last time I was with dr Williamson and she was great but I think she has maybe retired now. I took a week off sick the last time and was going to do the same this time but I'm just back after over 2 weeks off with the flu so don't think I'll have the nerve to ring in sick again! Will probably just take a few days holiday.
Ashastar

Sunday, February 4th 2018, 7:59pm

Dr Abaje is lovely. I've had quite a few appointments with him and he's really nice. Yes, I think you're right Dr Williamson recently retired. She did my last embryo transfer and Dr Tang the one before that. All the staff are great. Yes, I know what you mean about seeing a different consultant every time. Though given my crooked cervical canal (lol - all I can do is laugh at this stage) Dr McManus will be doing my embryo transfer. She completed the day surgery on me and she did another mock embryo transfer while I was under anaesthetic and has taken detailed notes and because of this she says she wants to do my embryo transfer. My ET is planned for a Friday so I will probably only take that day and then the Monday off as I don't work weekends. I think I asked you before about tips for FET and you said you ate pineapple core and brazil nuts. Will you try this again? I really wish you all the best and wish you success again. Please keep in touch.

Is there anybody else on here who is going through a FET?

Xxxxxxxxxx

Sunday, February 4th 2018, 8:02pm

Hi Girls,
I am also in the middle of a FET cycle.
JMCK - hope it won’t be too tricky for you, but at least they are prepared.
Ashastar - good to hear you are having no side effects.

I see you both have had a previous FET cycle before- do you mind me asking if any of your embryos didn’t survive the thawing process? I had 3 frozen embryos- but in my previous FET cycle the first one they took out didn’t survive, unfortunately the next one resulted in a miscarriage. Now this cycle is down to the last embryo. Trying to think positive but hard not to think ‘what if...’

Anyway, just trying to take one day at a time and try and not think too much ahead.
Hope we are all lucky xx

Sunday, February 4th 2018, 8:37pm

Hello Little Orchid. Thank you for your message. Wishing you all the best with your FET. What stage are you at?

I originally had 17 eggs collected, 10 fertilised and all made it to day 5. My first embryo that was transferred back in was a grade 5aa, which is apparently the best grade but my cycle failed. Of the 9 embryos I had left only 6 were suitable for freezing. Then on my first FET the first embryo that was thawed didn't survive but luckily I had 5 reserves. They thawed 1 and it survived and was transferred back. I don't think I was told what grade it was. That cycle failed. So I have 4 left. The way it was explained to me was hopefully the first one they thaw will survive and will be suitable for transfer but if not they will go to the next one. Hope that makes sense.

I'm like you Little Orchid I just try and take each day as it comes. Xx

Sunday, February 4th 2018, 8:51pm

Hi little orchid. I have only ever had one fet before and luckily the embryo survived and is now my 2 year old son. I also only have one embryo left so trying not to think about the possibility of it not surviving the thaw. When I had my consultation with dr Agbaje he mentioned to me that obviously there is the possibility that it won't survive but he also said that in general that is unlikely as it wouldn't have been frozen unless it was a good quality embryo. Like you all I can do is keep my fingers crossed and hope for the best.

JMcK yeah I will try the pineapple core and Brazil nuts again. It probably doesn't make any difference but it will make me feel better if I think I'm doing something that might help lol! Xx
Ashastar

Sunday, February 4th 2018, 9:21pm

Thanks JMcK and ashastar,

I have my ET at the end of the week. I spend weeks, months thinking about it- now that it is nearly here- can’t believe it.
It is such a lottery.
Like you ashastar - I have a 2 year old, so have experienced the highest of highs but also the lows of the whole fertility process.

I stocked up on my nuts and pineapple in my weekly shop- I love them anyway and it wouldn’t feel like the 2ww without gnawing on a bit of hard pineapple! You would do anything!

Sunday, February 4th 2018, 10:48pm

Good luck little orchid. You're right, it does come round quickly once you get started. I'm not feeling too confident about mine to be honest. I think having the flu just as I started the spray hasn't got me off to the best start. I can't help thinking it's not a good omen! I know I have been so so lucky in the past and I don't know if I'm being greedy by trying again but I desperately want a sibling for my little boy.

I hate pineapple lol but definitely would do anything!

JMcK that's great that you still have 4 embryos. Hopefully you won't need them all but definitely makes you feel better to have a back up!
Ashastar

Monday, February 5th 2018, 3:51pm

Ashastar and Little Orchid, it sounds to me like you both have super strong embryos with both having success before. Little Orchid, wishing you all the best for ET at the end of the week. When do you ladies find it best to start the pineapple and nuts and how long do you take them for? Xx

Monday, February 5th 2018, 8:53pm

Thanks JMcK- that’s a positive way to look at things, as nervous with one embryo. Sounds like you have plenty to work with. The evidence for pineapple and Brazil nuts is a bit sketchy etc but I do it anyway. Apparently the core is the important part of the pineapple. I will start on the day of transfer for 5 days. But if you google it, you will read lots of different things. Even if it’s having a placebo effect- and I believe it is working- then so be it. Hopefully I will get as far as ET.

Ashastar, don’t think you are being ‘greedy’. I too know how extremely fortunate I am, and although trying to get pregnant when you have a little one is different than first time around. For me that longing and sadness for what comes naturally for many couples is still there. Now I just don’t want it for me, and my partner but also for my little girl.

I wouldn’t worry too much about the flu during the spray- as your reproductive system is effectively in stand by mode and nothing is happening to compromise anything. I wish there was an easier way- but we hopefully this will be our time.

Thursday, February 8th 2018, 10:21pm

Hi girls, how are you both getting on? I start my progynova on Saturday, will be glad to get to the next stage cos I feel like I've been spraying forever!

Little orchid, is your ET soon? Best of luck to you xx
Ashastar

Friday, February 9th 2018, 4:05pm

Hi Ashastar, getting on fine. I'm on Progynova now,taking 3 a day. Scan next Friday and ET scheduled for following week. Hope all is well with you Ashastar? Xx

Friday, February 9th 2018, 4:44pm

Baby on board! (Please God!)

Won’t be too long before you are up getting your scans JMc and Ashastar - think it doesn’t feel real until you get back into Rfc. Hope you are both doing well x

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Little orchid" (Feb 9th 2018, 4:45pm)

Friday, February 9th 2018, 4:48pm

Have you had your ET Little Orchid? Xx

Friday, February 9th 2018, 5:20pm

Yes, thankfully my frostie survived the thaw

Reg: Jul 23rd 2017

Friday, February 9th 2018, 5:34pm

Brilliant news xx

Friday, February 9th 2018, 5:38pm

Amazing Little Orchid! I told you you had super strong embryos. That's brilliant. When did you have your ET? Xx

Friday, February 9th 2018, 5:40pm

Which doctor completed your ET? Xx

Friday, February 9th 2018, 6:26pm

Fantastic little orchid! Now the waiting begins! I have everything crossed for you xx
Ashastar

Friday, February 9th 2018, 7:53pm

Thanks girls- going to try and enjoy dreaming

Monday, February 12th 2018, 8:45pm

How are you both getting on JMc and ashastar - hope the medication is agreeing with you.

Tuesday, February 13th 2018, 9:13am

Hi little orchid, I'm getting on OK. Started the progynova on saturday so I feel like I'm moving in the right direction. I just wish I knew if everything is working as apart from the odd headache I haven't really had any side effects. Scan isn't until next Wednesday. How are you? Have you taken some time off work to rest? Hope you are enjoying your pineapple lol!

JMcK how are you?

Did either of you do anything different this cycle to prepare? I'm trying to eat healthily and drink loads of water but for some reason I seem to be craving tea and cake! Feel like there's something I should be doing that will increase my chances but I just don't know what!
Ashastar

Tuesday, February 13th 2018, 1:54pm

Hi Ashastar- I am sure you will be glad to have your scan. This 2ww feels a bit like Groundhog Day! My transfer just happened to fall before my half term holidays. In some ways great as I don’t have the stress of work, but also bad as the week is going quite slowly. I suppose not helped by the weather- not getting out and about as much. But trying to stay patient and positive.

In terms of preparation, I can’t say I have done a lot for either of my FET cycles compared to my fresh cycle. Think I ‘invested’more into fresh cycle as I felt it would help with egg quality/ numbers as I was in my late 30’s and felt the odds were against me. With FET, I kind of feel there isn’t that much I can do to influence the outcome- just trying to get the balance between staying active, resting, and calming my mind. In cold weather- I find it harder to stay off the cake etc.

I am having some nausea,not sure if it’s down to the medication. With my first positive result, I had little to no symptoms, which lead to a successful pregnancy. Then in my previous FEt cycle I had similar nausea to now, but it ended in a silent/missed miscarriage identified at my scan at Rfc. So don’t know what to think! Thinks it’s time to head out walking with the headphones on to clear my head!

Tuesday, February 13th 2018, 8:36pm

Ah little orchid, it's so hard, isn't it? Hopefully your nausea is a good sign and your wee embryo is nice and comfortable by now. The only symptoms I had with my successful cycle was a lot of cramping although I also had that on my failed cycle so it was probably caused by the gel. Just try to keep positive. I always find that I'm really positive for the first few days and then the doubts start to creep in. The 2ww is definitely the hardest part of the process! That's great your transfer fell on your holidays anyway. I'm still debating what to do about work.

Thanks for the advise regarding preparation. I had been pretty much taking the same attitude that all the hard work in preparing the embryo has already been done but I was having some doubts this morning and starting to panic that there is something else I should be doing! It's my last embryo and if it fails I won't go through another fresh cycle so it literally is my last chance.
Ashastar

Tuesday, February 13th 2018, 9:32pm

Thanks ashastar - good to know there is someone who understands what it is like. My partner is supportive but dont think he fully understands the ups and downs during this time, and says ‘you just have to be patient and wait and see’. Which is true but easier said than done.

Will you work be funny about you taking off? Can you take holidays? It’s awful you have to worry about work, but technically after ET, even in 2ww- you are protected by pregnancy related illness and shouldn’t be counted in your sickness record. Easier said than done in some work places. Although I am a private person, still think it is terrible that there is a ‘stigma’ around woman taking off work for fertility treatment. If we had a choice we definitely wouldn’t be getting pregnant this route. Try and do what’s best for you as you don’t want to have any regrets.

I have days out planned over the next few days, seeing friends, family etc so hopefully that will keep me distracted a bit more.

Thanks again

Tuesday, February 13th 2018, 10:54pm

Oh I totally get it! I've always found this forum a godsend for support. It's sad that fertility issues is something people don't tend to talk about as there are so many affected by it. Saying that, I am one of the worst offenders as I have never told anyone about our struggles. My husband is a bit like your partner. He's a bit detached from the process this time. I think it's probably because it's a frozen cycle so he doesn't have to actually do anything. It's hard to keep him involved. He definitely doesn't understand the pain of the 2ww!

My problem with work is that they don't know about my treatment and I'm very reluctant to tell them. I've asked for a few days holiday but ideally I would like to have more but don't want to use up too much leave so early in the year. I'm toying with the idea of a sick line but feel a bit bad about it as I was off with the flu recently. As you say though I really don't want to have any regrets and my job is very stressful.

It sounds like you have a few nice days planned so I hope the week flies in for you x
Ashastar

Wednesday, February 14th 2018, 6:19pm

Ashastar- I know I am generalising here. But won’t life be so much easier without the million thoughts and ‘what ifs’ that goes around a woman’s brain! My partner sometimes despairs at my brain working overtime, so I am jealous at how ‘simplistic’ he sees things. But hopefully he will rub off on me a bit.

Wednesday, February 14th 2018, 10:59pm

I think I like to stay has positive as possible. But had a real wobble this evening. I am more posting on here to offload my feelings, so sorry for the negativity.

I am having really bad period type cramps. I usually don't have cramps before my period but when I had a silent miscarriage identified, rather than have a D &C - I was prescribed medication to bring on the miscarriage. It's those type of cramps I am having. So I freaked myself out that my body is rejecting my embryo. Then I started to panic that I forgot to take my oestrogen support and that was why this was happening. I kept going over in my head - trying to remember the details of the morning. Thankfully I knew how many tablets I had to begin with, and worked out how many I should have left- and they seem to tally, so I must have taken them. Got myself worked into a state of panic- then was panicking about panicking!

I have done the 2ww wait twice before, and I don't remember it as bad previously- but maybe you block it out once it is done. Imagine, some woman just have sex to get pregnant. You couldn't even describe this to them.

Sorry for the moaning post- I hope that tomorrow will be a better day and I get my positive head on.

Thursday, February 15th 2018, 9:48pm

I'm hoping to have my review sooner if I book it privately. Is that doable? Do any of you know the cost. It would be the first review to go on FET list following failed fresh cycle.

Jo31

Ace

Reg: Aug 30th 2017

Thursday, February 15th 2018, 10:32pm

I priced a private review apt to get on the main list which was approx £200, so it’s probably a similar price.

1 registered user thanked already.

Users who thanked for this post:

Anniebell (15.02.2018)

Thursday, February 15th 2018, 11:02pm

How are you feeling today little orchid? Its totally normal to have a wobble, especially around this stage. It's always about a week after transfer that I start to feel really down and negative too. Cramping isn't always a bad thing either. Don't forget that the crinone causes cramps which are very similar to period pain. On my successful cycle I had such bad cramps when I got into bed at night that I was literally scared to move in case I started to bleed. Turns out it was just my wee embryo getting comfy and everything stretching etc. I hope you had a better day today. It's so unfair that we have to go through all this just to have what comes naturally to so many others.

Anniebell I paid for a private review before the fet I'm currently having. It was £150 with dr Agbaje. You book the appointment through his private practice which is based just off the Malone road in Belfast. I can give you the number if you want. xx
Ashastar

Friday, February 16th 2018, 9:52am

Hi ladies, sorry I've been quiet on here the last couple of days. I had my scan this morning. The waiting room was packed. You never know who is there that is on here! Dr McFaul did my scan, very quick as I expected. All good, I have to ring next Friday at 12 to check if any of my embryos have survived the thaw and then hopefully get a time to come in for ET. Sorry to hear you're not feeling good Little Orchid. I think all the emotions you are feeling are totally natural and understandable. This is not an easy process physically or mentally as unfortunately all of us know.

Hope all is well with you Ashastar?

Do either of you ladies or anybody else remember what time you are told to come in at for ET? I've been through this twice before but can't remember. I'm maybe getting ahead of myself but I'm hoping of the 4 embryos I have left 1 will be suitable for transfer.

Xxxxxxxxxx

Friday, February 16th 2018, 11:35am

Thank you Ashastar I now have my review appointment for FET with Dr McManus. You are right it is £150 and another £80 if I need a scan which I doubt I will. I'm terrified my one wee frostie won't survive the thaw. I know I'll need to get to the top of the list after the review appointment.

Little Orchid, hoping your OK. X

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE