You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "Clarabel77" started this thread

Reg: Nov 3rd 2014

What's Up?
Pink twins on board :-)

Monday, June 1st 2015, 12:28pm

Braxton Hicks?

I'm finding it really hard to know if what I'm experiencing is Braxton hicks or real contractions. I don't want to go to the hospital every time this happens but I don't know how I would know the difference between these and real contractions. Since 6 o'clock this morning I've been feeling really strong tightenings and they are really intense. My stomach also feels rock hard. Some people have said braxton hicks are more uncomfortable than sore but these are painful and take my breathe away.
I have the midwife tomorrow so don't want to call in unless I really need to. I'm guessing I will eventually know if it stops that it is Braxton Hicks but it is freaking me out a bit. How do people know when it's the real thing apart from waters breaking, which I'm pretty sure hasn't happened yet?!! ?o(

Reg: Oct 17th 2009

Monday, June 1st 2015, 12:59pm

Not that I've experienced it myself but I found this on a website and it seems quite similar to what my friends have described.

Braxton Hicks contractions:
Are infrequent, and usually happen no more than once or twice an hour, a few times a day.
Often stop if you change activity. So walk about if you've been sitting, and sit down if you've been on your feet for a while.
Are usually irregular, or if they are regular, only stay that way for a short spell.
Don't last long, usually less than a minute.
Continue to be unpredictable and non-rhythmic.
Don't increase in intensity.

Compared with Braxton Hicks, labour contractions are:
noticeably, and increasingly, longer
more regular
more frequent
more painful
increase in frequency and intensity

Prelabour is when Braxton Hicks contractions may come more rhythmically, perhaps every 10 minutes to 20 minutes in late pregnancy.

Prelabour can be hard to tell apart from early labour, particularly if the tightening of your uterus feels uncomfortable. During prelabour your cervix won't have started to open yet. Your midwife will be able to tell by carrying out a vaginal examination.

If you have any doubt I would call and check with your midwife. I'm sure she would rather you called and everything be ok than not and have something happen.

Hopefully someone with more experience will be along with more advice. I hope all's ok. X x

1 registered user thanked already.

Users who thanked for this post:

Clarabel77 (01.06.2015)

Net

Reg: Apr 10th 2010

Children: Two beautiful daughtersr - thank you Guys hospital

Monday, June 1st 2015, 1:53pm

My Braxton hicks were never painful more uncomfortable - stomach would tighten and go like a rock then relax.

I would call your midwife for some reassurance xx

1 registered user thanked already.

Users who thanked for this post:

Clarabel77 (01.06.2015)

Net

Reg: Apr 10th 2010

Children: Two beautiful daughtersr - thank you Guys hospital

Monday, June 1st 2015, 1:53pm

If they get progressively more painful definitely call! You'll know a full on contraction when it hits as its like nothing you've felt before!

What's Up?

Monday, June 1st 2015, 2:14pm

Thanks ladies, these are definitely more than uncomfortable but don't know if it feels worse because of the amount of pressure I'm feeling too. I phoned and spoke to a midwife and she said to keep an eye on it over the course of an hour or so and if in any doubt go in and get checked. It seems to have settled a bit now. I know it probably is Braxton hicks but it's hard when you've never been pregnant before to know the difference. xx

Tab

Ace

Reg: Jul 15th 2014

Monday, June 1st 2015, 2:41pm

Clare let us know how you get on. My midwife said if any are painful to call in- just due to multiple preg.
Hope it's nothing anyway love xxx

What's Up?

Monday, June 1st 2015, 3:35pm

It seems to have eased off a good bit, have lessened in intensity so trying to relax. i had a bath and hobbled about a bit and it seems a lot better. I think I have an anxiety that I won't actually know if it's the real thing, but sounds like I should know the difference if it does actually happen! Xx ^^