You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Tab

Ace

• "Tab" started this thread

Reg: Jul 15th 2014

Thursday, February 19th 2015, 3:03pm

Another worry from me sorry- Stephylacocus aurea swab

Hi everyone
Yet again
Looking for advice on my latest development.
I went to GP about pains I was having and I did a self-vaginal swab that was sent off for testing.
Results came back today and it shows heavy growth Stephylacocus aurea. My midwife said people get this often in pregnancy as immune system is suppressed.
Apparently it's a natural thing that lives on your skin.
The doctor on call rang with my results and prescribed flucloxacillin 500mg 4 times a day for 7 days. Urrrhhhhh.

Two things- I self administered my vaginal swab and I don't think it did it properly, it was in the surgery toilet so I was super paranoid about touching surfaces etc, being a germ a phone that was interesting. But I've read since that you need to keep the swab clear on entry and exit, which I cant be sure I did as I was just stood trying to balance. Do you think I should ask for a re-test from my gp to be sure my specimen isn't contaminated?

Secondly has anyone had this diagnosis or medication? Antibiotics are awful for me I always get sick and thrush so only want to take them if I know it's properly essential.

Worry!!! Constant worry!
Thanks

Tania xxx

Pip

Reg: Feb 11th 2013

Children: 1 Labradoodle, my furry baby

Thursday, February 19th 2015, 4:52pm

Hi tab, sorry u r having this problem. I think ur swab is probably accurate and if u do need the treatment them better to start sooner rather than later. I don't know much about the infection myself. I am in 2 minds about speaking to the midwife about discharge I am having, u probably seen my worried post, in case it is something similar but I don't have any pains.
It is very difficult as u just want to make sure u r doing everything u can for growing babies hope ur ok
xx

Tab

Ace

Thursday, February 19th 2015, 5:07pm

Thanks Pip - I would get a swab just in case if I were you it will help to stop your worry.
You can nip to your GP and they'll do one for you.

The doc said it's safe to take flucloxacillin but on all the paper work if says consult your doctor. Nhs website says talk to your doc before taking it and weigh up the risks.
I called the on duty doc back and asked whether the swab could have been contaminated and he said very possibly.
He said the two options were to take them anyway as it won't hurt me or pregnancy or wait and have another swab tomorrow and wait for results.
If I knew for sure the bacteria had spread i would have no problem taking it.
The other thing is that the doc I spoke to has no social skills and you have to pull information out of him- no reassurance on anything at all.
What to do? My gp is back in tomorrow so I might leave it until then and speak to her about my worries.

Reg: Aug 7th 2014

Children: None

Thursday, February 19th 2015, 5:15pm

Hi Tab, don't want to inter-fear but I would start taking them as you don't want the infection to spread or get any worse especially when you have pain and discomfort! I would have said get another swab and wait if you didn't have any symptoms! I haven't had the infection Before but I am a practice nurse so have seen it before xxx

Tab

Ace

Thursday, February 19th 2015, 6:18pm

Thanks Hello, is Flucloxacillin completely safe in pregnancy in your experience? Are many pregnsnt women prescribed it?
The fact Nhs website says talk to you doctor to weigh up to weigh up the risks scares me as if there are risks but no infection could I be jeopardising both of my babies health
Xxxxxxxx

Reg: Aug 7th 2014

Children: None

Thursday, February 19th 2015, 6:55pm

Every drug needs to be weighed up in pregnancy, but the G.P must feel there is a benefit to take and treat than leave it! What I would do is maybe take a half dose and see if it helps! Are the capsules in 250mg form or 500mg form? If they are 500mg I would take two a day and see if that helps rather than 4. Does that make sense? I would worry the infection gets worse and you would end up needing stronger ones! Xxx

Reg: Nov 3rd 2014

What's Up?
Pink twins on board :-)

Thursday, February 19th 2015, 7:01pm

Poor you, you are having a time of it Tab! They must feel it would be of benefit to you if they want you to take it. I was concerned taking antibiotics in first trimester for a urine infection but they reassured me it was for the best, and as you know all was ok. Hope you manage to get some answers xx

Tab

Ace

Thursday, February 19th 2015, 7:18pm

Thanks Clare
The doc I spoke to said it was up to me after we talked about possibly contaminating the swab. He's really not very communicative.
I've taken one tablet tonight - and will talk to my GP tomorrow to ask her about safety and dosage of meds in the case that the swab was contaminated.
I am itching slightly now so have taken that as a sign that there's deffo something going on down there.
And I guess one tablet isn't much so that I can stop if I feel I need to after I talk to her tomorrow.

I'll let you know what she says tomorrow xxxxx

Reg: Nov 3rd 2014

What's Up?
Pink twins on board :-)

Thursday, February 19th 2015, 7:43pm

Some of what your describing sounds very like bacterial vaginosis, my sister had this a few times when she was pregnant and said it was horrible, she was really sore and itchy and I'm sure she got antibiotics which helped really quickly. I know it's worrying taking antibiotics in pregnancy but they do weigh up the benefits and look at what ones are relatively low risk. I really hope you feel better soon xx

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE