You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Amber77

• "Amber77" started this thread

Reg: Dec 28th 2013

Tuesday, January 7th 2014, 4:22pm

How many embryos to defrost?

Hi again, we have to tell at Mary's on Thursday how many embryos we want defrosting. We currently have 3 donor embryos. We've been told that if we only have 1 thawed and it doesn't survive then that's game over for this attempt and we start the process all over again... If we have 2 thawed and they both survive we can either have both popped in or have one and destroy one... Really don't know what to do, any advise? X

Onewish

United Kingdom

Reg: Jul 24th 2010

Children: one beautiful daughter at last!

What's Up?
Will we, won't we...?

Tuesday, January 7th 2014, 4:43pm

Hi, only you can really decide. When I did FET I defrosted 2 because the odds of just one surviving were quite low. We defrosted 2 and had 1 to transfer. However had both survived I would have been happy to have both transferred. I guess that's what you have to ask yourself if you would Like 2 transferred or if not if you would be happy to discard the remaining embryo?

Good luck whatever you decide. Xx

TTC = 10 yrs +
4 ICSI 1 FET
4th ICSI - Gennet Prague BFP!!!!
:girl: shes arrived!!! 1.6.14

My Diary - Onewish's ICSI journey

Reg: May 30th 2010

Tuesday, January 7th 2014, 6:25pm

I would personally rather wait another month (unless you are comfortable with the possibility of having twins) than discarding a perfectly good embryo but it is a very personal choice and instead of discarding you can also donate it for research xx

Curlytails

GLOBAL MODERATOR

United Kingdom

Reg: Apr 18th 2010

Children: One gorgeous boy

What's Up?
:)

Tuesday, January 7th 2014, 7:34pm

I had 5 frosties, they defrosted 2 and neither survived so they defrosted another 2, one survived and they thawed the final one and transfered 2. I personally would feel very uneasy only defrosting 1.

6 x IVF, 3 x FET
3 x MMC, 3 x :BFN:, 1 x failed thaw
Two gorgeous boys.

Net

Reg: Apr 10th 2010

Children: Two beautiful daughtersr - thank you Guys hospital

Tuesday, January 7th 2014, 7:40pm

I had 3 to defrost but my clinic only allowed them to defrost one by one. They did say if the frat didn't defrost they'd defrost the next then the next. However they only allow one transferred if you're aged under 35. I was lucky that my first embryo did defrost. Good luck x
NET

ICSI Feb 2011-:BFP: m/c
FET Aug11 & Nov 11 - cancelled pre ET
FET May 2012- :BFP:
DD born Feb 2013
FET Feb 2015 :BFP:
DD2 born Nov 2015

MY DIARY

Reg: May 30th 2010

Tuesday, January 7th 2014, 8:36pm

Hi again,

All the replies made me remember that freezing techniques still differ. You get the best results with vitrification so might be worth asking the clinic what did they use. It can also depend how old the embryos are sorry can't remember how many days is the best to freeze but you could ask clinic

I also wonder why they only let you have one go at defrosting when Curlytails could have hers defrosted in bits? ?(

xx

This post has been edited 2 times, last edit by "rianon" (Jan 7th 2014, 8:39pm)

United Kingdom

Reg: Dec 22nd 2008

Children: Beautiful twin daughters and two grown up stepdaughters

Wednesday, January 8th 2014, 11:09am

I had the same advice as Net. I would challenge them on the advice you have been given. It doesn't take long for them to defrost (when I turned up for ET they hadn't started yet and sent me off for tea and cake) so they should be able to defrost just one and then another if the first doesn't make it. Good luck!
Newly Wed

ICSI December 2008 - chemical pregnancy
ICSI May 2009 - BFN
FET September 2009 - BFP
Beautiful twin girls born 30 April 2010

Net

Reg: Apr 10th 2010

Children: Two beautiful daughtersr - thank you Guys hospital

Wednesday, January 8th 2014, 2:09pm

Newly Wed I think we are at the same clinic (Guys) and yes the same with me they hadn't even defrosted mine when I got there.
NET

ICSI Feb 2011-:BFP: m/c
FET Aug11 & Nov 11 - cancelled pre ET
FET May 2012- :BFP:
DD born Feb 2013
FET Feb 2015 :BFP:
DD2 born Nov 2015

MY DIARY

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE