You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "Baby Blue Eyes" started this thread
  • United Kingdom

Reg: Nov 6th 2009

Children: 14 yr old DD & 14 month old DS

Saturday, March 16th 2013, 6:12pm

Raw apple cider vinager

Ladies (and the odd gent too that may be prowling the forum on this rather boggy saturday?!)
Question for you.... Raw apple cider vinager, would you or wouldn't you? !
My heartburn has been just simply horrendous, and at week 25, I am rather depressed to think that boiled chicken and rice will be my staple food for the net 14/15 weeks?! My friend, who is a nutritionist, is a massive fan of raw apple cider vinager, and has given me a small amount to try should I wish to, but she did say have a look online, gave me links etc, but with it being the raw kind, that has all of the "friendly bacteria" in it, this means that it is unpasturised...therefore, suggested that pregnant women should possibly refrain from taking it. I've done a bit of a google, but obviously, I don't want to believe eveything I read on the company's testimonials, that state that it's safe in pregnancy, when others are saying how can it be when unpasturised?! Arggghhhhh
I've been taking gaviscon advance, and tbh, it's not helping all that much, I'm waking up in the night in agony if I have had anything to eat with anything close to a spice in it. In fact, I get heartburn after eating melon?!
I have to do something as I am so very uncomfortable, and I don't want to continually take any medication really, hence me looking at natural solutions....
Any thoughts??
Love to all
(I will get into my diary at SOME point soon too?!)
Blue
blowkiss

Reg: May 3rd 2010

Children: We are still dreaming.....

Saturday, March 16th 2013, 9:24pm

I really can't help I am sorry but just wanted to say that I am can imagine how uncomfortable you feel. I did not have a clue what heart burn felt like until a few weeks ago and wow it is just yuk. I get heart burn after eating chocolate although it certainly doesn't stop me eating it, mine disappears pretty fast especially after I drink a wee milk shake. Good luck x x x

mrsjasper

Megastar

Reg: Nov 2nd 2005

Children: 2 gorgeous girls

Sunday, March 17th 2013, 7:17am

Hi BBE,
Firstly let me say that you have my sympathy, heartburn in pregnancy isn't a major problem in terms of risk to the health of you or your baby but it's horrible to live with. I'm sure your midwife has told you lots of practical advice for reducing the symptoms. It's caused by the baby squashing your stomach upwards and by the hormone relaxin giving you less tone in the muscle that controls the opening in the top of your stomach making your stomach acid slosh upwards. Three things strike me from reading your post and a brief google of raw cider apple vinegar. Firstly, pharmaceutical medications are very closely monitored. This means that very possible side effect is usually listed in the data sheet even if the chances of it happening are teeny. Health foods, homeopathic medications, supplements and other similar over-the-counter stuff may have been around for generations but it's not often studied as closely, so before you decide one is 'safe' and one isn't, remember that you may just have more information about one than the other. You can swig gaviscon straight from the bottle, I did! Secondly, with regard to raw cider apple vinegar being unpastuerised, not all bacteria is bad. Think of how yakult et al... Keep telling us we need some friendly bacteria. The risk in pregnancy is that your immune system is less effective to stop you rejecting the baby, this means that you are more vulnerable to things like salmonella and listeria which can make you very ill. Your baby is well protected so a couple of days of d&v is not going to cause much damage, it's only if you get seriously dehydrated that your baby is going to be at risk. Think of the millions of women who had healthy babies in the days before milk was pasteurised, and in some countries there is no advice to avoid things like gorgonzola and the human race is still going strong there. I don't know from what I've read if your raw cider apple vinegar is likely to cause a tummy upset in someone with a weakened immune system, but I bet the manufacturers could tell you the names of the beasties that are in it. Thirdly, the advice I've read seems to recommend that you hold the raw ACV in your mouth before you drink it to stimulate the digestive juices to start flowing. It seems to me that thus is going to make your problem worse, not better, you need less acid, not more. So it might not work anyway.

The bottom line? The stuff has been used for generations, so I think it's probably pretty safe, if it was me at your stage of pregnancy and I was as desperate as you sound, I'd probably give it a go. You can always try contacting the manufacturer and seeing if they have any data (I mean actual statistics, not just nice thank you letters) on women have taken it in pregnancy and if they know of any adverse events (this is where big pharmaceutical companies have the edge, they collect this data and they will let you have it). I hope that helps.

• United Kingdom

Sunday, March 17th 2013, 10:17am

Nic & Mrsjasper thank you for your replys :)
Mrsj, I'm with you on the thought that we need those friendly bugs, and I'm sure that if unpasteurised was that bad, half of the worlds population would have been wiped out by now!
I'm just a bit wary, nervous, scared of "doing something wrong" and downright bloody uncomfortable ! I have tried the milk, eating natural yogurt like its going out of fashion, chewed on raw ginger, more water, and constant repeat prescription of Gaviscon, but I am one of the unlucky ones I guess.
She did however tell me to drink as many lemons in water throughout the day that I can handle, as they also strangely have an alkalising effect on stomach acids . I had some last night and this morning, that on top of a massive glug of gaviscon, last night was the first night in a week that I haven't woken up and needed my 2 & 4 am Gaviscon fix!!
Although early signs may just be tricking me, I think I'll try the lemons for a few days, whilst I do ask you say, I'll email braggs about the cider vinager and go from there. Either way, this Cider Vinager has some pretty good properties so I'll prob try it after anyway to help with my rather poor digestion. There are so many things it helps!!
I know that if I can get this heartburn at least under some sort of control I can enjoy this last bit of my bump days.
Seriously, thank you both
:chocs:

Reg: Jan 16th 2011

Children: Our beautiful angel Evie and her new baby sister Isla, our wee rainbow.

Sunday, March 17th 2013, 10:46am

Hi BBE

I'm 18 weeks now and have had heartburn/acid reflux/indigestion practically from the very start of my pregnancy so i'm thinking it can only get worse for me!!! I have so much sympathy for you hun, it is awful isn't it? When i bend down to put my socks on this morning i literally felt the acid rising up my oesophagus, its hideous!! The thought of raw apple cider vinegar though, fills me with horror because i cant eat apples anymore as the acid seems to give me a stomach ache. So i'm afraid i'm probably not much help really. Have you tried having some gaviscon before and after you eat? It works for me. To be honest, i find some days are far worse than others and i cant figure out why as i can eat very similar foods both days so have no clue why the reflux is worse one day and not so bad the other.

Unfortunately, i've resigned myself to the fact it's just something i have to put up with till LO is here. It's amazing cos it really does disappear as soon as bubba arrives, the relief is sooo good.

Sorry hun, probably not helped much but just want to send you symapathy and :hugs:

If you find a miracle cure, please let me know.

blowkiss xxx

BeeS

Ace

Reg: Oct 31st 2009

Children: Two little boys born March '11 and Sept '13

Monday, March 18th 2013, 12:14pm

Hi Baby Blue Eyes

I am afraid I am not able to offer any advice about your heartburn/reflux. I only had a bit of this in my last pregnancy, mostly after chocolate (like Nic!) and a "Gaviscon chaser" usually sorted me out. It must be awful to be in such discomfort from it and I really hope that your combination of lemon and Gaviscon continues to help.

Your post drew my attention as only last night I had one tsp apple cider vinegar in a glass of water! I bought a bottle of it for the first time on a whim having heard about its amazing health properties. The bottle I bought has manuka honey in it too for added benefits. I bought it for cooking and as a little top-up for general health. When I read on the bottle that it was unpasteurised I did feel a flicker of doubt, but I thought, well, it's vinegar, not raw chicken, so I'm sure it's fine!

From what I have read recently about which cheeses are safe in pregnancy, I have understood that one of the reasons that hard unpasteurised cheeses are safe when soft unpasteurised cheeses are not is down to their higher acid content. I figure that if a cheese can be too acidic an envinronment for listeria to thrive, then vinegar must surely be unsuitable for the little bacteria baddies to survive!

I am not a doctor or a nutritionalist, so I am not speaking with any authority at all here! But this way of thinking was certainly enough to reassure me.

Whatever little tricks you try I hope you get some relief from your heartburn. Good luck!

Bee
Bee

PCO/Amenorrhea. Resistant to Clomid. Success with Gonal F ovulation induction.
DS1 born Mar 11 and DS2 born Sept 2013

• United Kingdom

Tuesday, March 19th 2013, 7:04pm

Rallygirl... honestly, the lemons seem to be working. I too have the bending down issue (among millions of others!) but so far, I can only report an ease in my symptoms, which believe me, is the closest thing to a miracle cure for the horrid few weeks I've had.
I havent had any midnight/ early morning gaviscon fixes since friday night.... on Sat after I st lemon drinks I just had double gaiscon advance dose before sleep and voila....
All I have at the moment is 1/4 of fresh lemon juice each time in either a glass of water, in tea instead of milk or as a honey & lemon drink. I have it before meals/eating so that it helps stomach, and its easing the other side effect of the gaviscon ohthedrama
Hi Bee, Thanks for replying too.... its nice to see that someone else is as nutty as I am to go back to old school remedies. But you know what, if it works, then eu natural and back to basics it is
Do let me know how you get on. I am genuinely interested in how good it can be
:bye:

Reg: May 15th 2012

Thursday, March 21st 2013, 10:06pm

Hi BBE,
I just wanted to quickly say that I used apple cider vinegar for heartburn last year and it was brilliant. It completely sorted out my symptoms. I don't know anything about its safety in pregnancy but it is definitely very effective. Just be careful of your teeth (same goes for the lemons) maybe wash your mouth out afterwards? And make sure you avoid peppermint tea as that can relax the sphincter muscle at the top of your stomach and cause heartburn.
I have a feeling that gaviscon and lemons/vinegar might be working against each other, but I can't remember the details.
Rosa

Me 38 rubbish cycles, very low amh
DH 39 rubbish sperm

Ist ICSI 6/12 - abandoned :-(
2nd ICSI 10/12 - BFN :-(
3rd ICSI 1/13 - BFN :-(
4th FET 3/13 abandoned :-(
5th FET 5/13 - BFN :-(
Taking a break over the summer

Reg: Jan 16th 2011

Children: Our beautiful angel Evie and her new baby sister Isla, our wee rainbow.

Friday, March 22nd 2013, 4:55pm

That's great BBE, think i'll have a go at a nice honey and lemon drink. Glad you've found something that seems to be working.

xxx

1 user apart from you is browsing this thread:

1 guests

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE