You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "nic x x x" started this thread

Reg: May 3rd 2010

Children: We are still dreaming.....

Friday, February 8th 2013, 6:24pm

When should I be concerned about braxton hicks, 18 weeks pregnant with twins

I have been having what I think are braxton hicks since about 16 weeks pregnant, at first I thought it was the babies rolling around then discoverd my entire tummy went rock hard for about 30 seconds at the most. I had a few of these a day to begin with and felt it was too early to have braxton hicks, however I phoned maternity triage and she reassured me this was normal and that I would probably feel them earlier as having twins, to drink loads and hand urine sample in just in case of infection, came back all clear so called again and explained that they were happening every day, again reassured me its normal. Now they are much more frequent although not any stronger in intensity so I called and felt that maybe they didn't realise how often I was having them and got an older sounding midwife on phone who said I should be resting, when I explained that I was at work she plainly said "go home" and rest. I explained my concerns about pre term labour and she just said nothing they could do even if something was going to happen and that I should be reassured there is no blood. Only to phone back if I bleed or they become more intense. I was going to go to the hospital but feared they would just not want to see me and send me home, no one seems willing to even think about checking me out, is it because I am under 20 weeks, should they at least ask me in to check me out or am I over reacting. Has anyone else had lots braxton a hicks. Thank you for reading as I am such a waffler x x x

Friday, February 8th 2013, 7:07pm

I had LOADS of braxton hicks in my first pregnancy. They got worse from 30 weeks. Like you it varied from being a hardening of the tummy every now and again to being quite regular. It is natural to worry about it, but they are VERY normal and are just your body stretching and preparing. Remember they are braxton hicks and NOT real labour. That used to reassure me -I'd just remind myself I wasn't in labour. You will know about it if you were to go into real labour - seriously! It is said we can get braxtons from as early on as 6 weeks, but just may not really feel them that early.

I would advise you check and see if you are doing anything to set them off and if so, don't do that. Swimming did that for me, so I stopped straight away. If you have bleeding, pains or more than 4 in an hour, then I would suggest you go and get seen. Also, don't hesitate to rest up if you find that is helping. Xxx

United Kingdom

Reg: Dec 22nd 2008

Children: Beautiful twin daughters and two grown up stepdaughters

Friday, February 8th 2013, 7:13pm

The midwife you spoke to sounds like an idiot. Although it is unlikely to be pre-term labour, they can monitor you and check the length of your cervix - a shortened cervix is a sign of pre-term labour - and if necessary they can put in a stitch to keep your cervix closed. If you are worried you should insist on a scan and ask to see a consultant.
Newly Wed

ICSI December 2008 - chemical pregnancy
ICSI May 2009 - BFN
FET September 2009 - BFP
Beautiful twin girls born 30 April 2010

Friday, February 8th 2013, 10:46pm

Thank you so much girls, I have had what I think are to be 4 in an hour then nothing for few hours then only one or 2, I might go up to hospital and ask to be seen rather than phoning as the seem to just palm me off, I can get them just lying down on sofa and can't think of anything that is setting them off except I notice if I have a full bladder that seems to trigger one. Probably had about 15 today. Ill see how I get on tonight then go up tomorrow as I would like to know if that is what I am having. I just didnt like the nurses attitude at all, I think sometimes they just don't realise how long we have all tried to actually become pregnant so our babies are the most precious things in the world. My worry is that I am only 18 weeks x x x

Saturday, February 9th 2013, 10:13am

If in doubt, just go up and get seen. It isn't worth the risk or the worry for you. Let us know how you get on. Xxx

Net

Reg: Apr 10th 2010

Children: Two beautiful daughtersr - thank you Guys hospital

Saturday, February 9th 2013, 10:25am

I'm sure it's nothing to worry about but second the advice to go and get seen for peace of mind. I went to the EPU four times and then the labour ward at 23 weeks with various concerns and they were brilliant with me. I am sure youyr hospital will be too. Take care xx
NET

ICSI Feb 2011-:BFP: m/c
FET Aug11 & Nov 11 - cancelled pre ET
FET May 2012- :BFP:
DD born Feb 2013
FET Feb 2015 :BFP:
DD2 born Nov 2015

MY DIARY

Saturday, February 9th 2013, 10:49am

Aw fingers crossed net, it's the hospital I have been phoning and they tell me its normal but for peace of mind I will just pitch up, if they could even let me hear their heart beats and check my cervix I would be so thankful x