You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Moogle

• "Moogle" started this thread

Reg: Sep 12th 2008

Children: A little boy and a baby girl watched over by their brother in the stars xxx

Saturday, January 5th 2013, 3:44pm

Fifth disease and pregnancy?

Hello ladies, I'm just looking to see if anyone has had any experience with this. My just-turned-3 DS is showing all the symptoms of fifth disease (a.k.a slapped-cheek disease or parvovirus B19) - he's had cold-like symptoms for a couple of weeks, which have now pretty much gone, but as of yesterday he's had a red, bumpy rash all over his face, especially the cheeks. Otherwise he is fine. I'm not concerned as such for him as it's a pretty common childhood illness... but I think I might have it too... problem being I'm 15 weeks pregnant. Stupidly I've been Googling the disease in pregnancy, and discovered it can dangerous for the unborn baby, especially before 20 weeks. I read of an associated miscarriage risk of "only" 5% when infected - now, I'm sure it's not just me, but I think a 1 in 20 risk at this stage of pregnancy is pretty damn high!

I've tried contacting my EPU for advice but they're not open again till Monday morning, and obviously I can't speak to my GP until Monday either. So now I'm going out of my head with worry, after finally starting to relax a little in what is an extremely anxious pregnancy (have had unexplained losses previously at 5-6 weeks, 13 weeks and 36 weeks :( ).

I guess I'm just looking for reassurance that if it does turn out to be fifth disease we have, that all the stuff I've been reading today is hugely exaggerated - please let that be the case!!

BFP Jan 2008: M/C at 13 weeks
BFP April 2009: Fantastic Finlay born 3/1/2010 xx
BFP May 2011: Beautiful Brodie born asleep 2/1/2012 xx
BFP June 2012: M/C at 5 weeks
BFP Oct 2012: Cuddly Kira born 6/6/2013 xx

My diary: Sunshine, Stars and Rainbows

Cherlou

Superstar

Reg: Apr 8th 2011

Children: Hoping for a miracle!

Saturday, January 5th 2013, 6:22pm

Moogle I am in same situation as u. 13 weeks pregnant and been around my nephew who now has it. I have tried to get a doctors appointment but am having nightmare as just moved house so not registered and local doctors won't let me register till the 14th. Walk in centre said they won't deal with it. So sending Dh back to the docs on mon to push for some kind of emergency appointment. I googled it too and it did freak me out a lot, so stay away.

What we need is a blood test to see if we r immune to it. If we r not then there is a chance we may have passed it to our babies and so will be v closely monitored. Got all that from google by the way.

Am sure we will both be fine and I am trying not to over worry at this sage as there is absolutely nothing we can do. Ur son will no LO her be infectious if his cheeks have come up red.

Hope u manage to get some answers soon...finger crossed for us both. It's all such a never ending worry xxx

Cherlous ICSI diary

5yrs TTC
Me 29 DH 30
QE Gateshead
1 IVF May 11 0 fert. :tears:
2 ICSi Sept 11 :BFN: :tears:
3 ICSI Jan 12 :BFN: :tears:
ARGC
4 ICSI Immune cycle (IVIG/Steroids) July 12 :BFN: :tears:
5 FET Oct :BFP: It's a :boy: and :girl:

7/6/13 Poppy Grace and Riley Lucas arrived : D We are so unbelievably blessed xxx

United Kingdom

Reg: Nov 6th 2009

Children: 14 yr old DD & 14 month old DS

Saturday, January 5th 2013, 6:30pm

Moogle, have you got your midwife's number? Mine sends & replies to txt messages, yours might?!
Or nhs direct or even your Hosp maternity switchboard number?
Just a chat with someone in the know would at least give you proper advice rather than the dreaded google..... ( we used to have a medical book, and my siblings and I ranged from self diagnosing glaucoma to dvt for a bruise ?!)
Honey, give someone a call.....they will advise what's best to do.
I hope that fantastic Fin gets well soon and someone helps you out too asap xxx
Cherlou, you too..., call NHS direct, I have always found them fantastic personally xx

sasha146

Reg: Aug 13th 2011

What's Up?
Adoption assessment complete

Saturday, January 5th 2013, 7:22pm

hi Moogle

i don't want to scare or frighten you but my mum is a nursery teacher, when some of the kids had it there were 2 pregnant teachers who were advised to go off sick, i'm sure it's just a precaution but if you can i would speak to your midwife or phone nhs 24.

i'm sure all will be fine

x
ME 30 DH 37

ICSI Oct 11 :BFP
bab11 July 12
FET Aug 14 BFN
FET Nov 14 BFN
What's next??

Moogle

Children: A little boy and a baby girl watched over by their brother in the stars xxx

Saturday, January 5th 2013, 7:26pm

Thanks for replying lovely ladies!

Cherlou, brilliant to see you here in 2nd tri too : D , but really sorry to hear you're having the same worry as me. I'd heard of the disease before, and even thought F might have had it a few months ago, but I didn't realise until today it was such a risk in pregnancy. I hope you get to speak to someone really soon. As you said, I guess there's nothing we can do now as the infectious stage is when it just seems like a cold. What I'm wondering though is - if it's such a common infection in toddlers, and carries such a significant m/c risk, then why aren't we screened for immunity as part of the routine antenatal bloods? I imagine most pregnant women, especially those who have or spend time around young children, must be exposed to it at some point. Weird that it's never mentioned, eh? ?o(

BBE, I haven't even seen my community midwife yet! First appt with her is a week on Monday, but in our NHS trust they don't tend to make themselves available out-of-hours, we're just supposed to contact the maternity unit in emergencies. And if there's nothing they can really do bar a blood test, and monitoring (which I'll be having anyway) I don't expect they'll treat it as an emergency. I'll hang in there till Monday morning, but I'm calling the EPU first thing. I haven't been feeling so much movement these last few days either, so I could probably do with being checked out anyway.

On a more positive note, F's cheeks have calmed down quite a lot already - which seems quite quick for fifth disease... maybe it's not that after all? xfingers xfingers

blowkiss xxx

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Moogle" (Jan 5th 2013, 7:29pm)

Moogle

Saturday, January 5th 2013, 7:29pm

Thanks too Sasha, crossed posts there! And I'm as scared as they get anyway... xx

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Moogle" (Jan 5th 2013, 7:33pm)

Saturday, January 5th 2013, 7:54pm

Moogle I will keep everything crossed that it isn't fifth's disease that he has. If you are at all worried, then go to your local A and E and they should be able to take a test to see if you are immune or not and check your LO over to see what they think.

I don't want to frighten you, but it can be very dangerous for the baby. I am a teacher, so have seen lots of pregnant colleagues have to take time off when it is going around the school and also have a friend who had a loss at 20 weeks because of it. I too, am surprised that people who are in jobs where they would be more at risk or if people already have children are not tested to see if they are immune or not. Do get yourself checked out on Monday, even if you think all is ok, just for reassurance more than anything. xxx

Moogle

Saturday, January 5th 2013, 8:31pm

Thanks AG. Unfortunately after F's bath tonight it looks like the rash is spreading down his trunk, which is another bad sign :-(

I've just spoken to a midwife at the maternity unit and I'm to get my GP to take a blood sample first thing Monday morning to be sent off and tested. The result should be back within 24 hours. Unfortunately if it shows I'm not immune they won't see me for a scan until I'm 21 days post-exposure. Though if that is the case I'll call my consultant and see if he can sort something, or maybe get a private scan. I've spent the last two hours in tears, I can't believe I could lose my precious rainbow baby because of a stupid little nursery bug.

Take care all xxxx

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Moogle" (Jan 5th 2013, 8:38pm)

sasha146

Reg: Aug 13th 2011

What's Up?
Adoption assessment complete

Saturday, January 5th 2013, 8:50pm

moogle i see you are in Renfrewshire i'm in Inverclyde and the midwifes were great i phoned a couple of times for advice and they were lovely, i had reduced movement and a few other aches and pains and they didn't hesitate to do a scan.

fingers crossed, take care
x
ME 30 DH 37

ICSI Oct 11 :BFP
bab11 July 12
FET Aug 14 BFN
FET Nov 14 BFN
What's next??

Cherlou

Superstar

Saturday, January 5th 2013, 9:58pm

Nhs direct were useless when I rang and a and e/ outpatients said they wouldn't help. It's a nightmare.

Moogle there is a high chnace that we r immune. I know it's hard but all we can do is get checked out as soon as we can. Am hoping for me the local docs will see me and then if they still refuse I might go back to a and e and cry and cry until they see me.

It is v v rare that u can lose a baby...it obv can happen but I am not letting my mind go there, I just can't. I'm telling myself all will be fine until I'm told otherwise.have come too far for things to go wrong now.

I am a teacher and have seen slapped cheek go round a fair few times so am also hoping that this will help build up immune issues.

Big hugs moogle....let's stay positive we will both be fine xxxxxxxxx

Cherlous ICSI diary

5yrs TTC
Me 29 DH 30
QE Gateshead
ARGC

7/6/13 Poppy Grace and Riley Lucas arrived : D We are so unbelievably blessed xxx

Moogle

Saturday, January 5th 2013, 10:42pm

:hugs: :hugs: back to you Cher hun, and everything crossed that we're both immune. I'm sure with your job there's a great chance you will be xfingers Are you going to try the docs on Monday then? It was the triage at my maternity unit I spoke to and they took it pretty seriously, but of course they don't want me to go in, in case I infect anyone else!

:yell: We just don't need this extra stress do we?! xxxx

Are you down Greenock way then Sasha? I'm always there shopping, or taking F to the beach at Cardwell! Paisley Mat have been really good so far with my care, lots of scans etc, but the 21 days is to be sure I'm not contagious anymore when I go in. It seems a long time though if there's a risk to the baby, so I'm hoping with my history my lovely cons will maybe turn a blind eye and do a scan sooner... and of course, I might be immune anyway! PMA, PMA... xfingers

Thanks again to everyone for your advice xxxx

Sunday, January 6th 2013, 1:45pm

Moogle, there is also a very high chance that it isn't slap cheek that your LO has at all. It could be a whole manner of things. You should take him to the Dr as well, just to see what they say. I will keep everything crossed for you that a) it isn't slap cheek in the first place and b) if it is, that you are immune. I am so sorry that you are going through all this stress, just awful and the last thing that you need. Thinking of you loads and hope that your have some reassurance in the next few days. xxx

Cherlou

Superstar

Sunday, January 6th 2013, 3:36pm

Moggle my Dh is gonna go back to docs and really push for them to see me. I don't see how they can keep saying no because of paperwork when it's a n emergency. If not then tomo night I will have to go to a an e an just push for someone to take me seriously.

Feeling full of cold and headachey today...has me proper chewed. Been googling again which I shouldn't as it just frightens me more :(

Good luck tomo, keep me informed xxxxx

Cherlous ICSI diary

5yrs TTC
Me 29 DH 30
QE Gateshead
ARGC

19verve

United Kingdom

Sunday, January 6th 2013, 9:36pm

Slapped cheek is very common so you could be immune anyway. And hopefully it isn't slapped cheek anyway. I was certain my Lo had slapped cheek and took.her to doc and it wasn't . best wishes;-)

United Kingdom

Monday, January 7th 2013, 10:26am

Moogle, Honey, sorry love, only just popped back in?!
I can't get over that you haven't seen your community MW yet ?! I can't get over how different things are with NHS there?? I hope that lovely Dr see's you and steal your blood asap and that F's not got it after all.
I took Tali to the drs when she was ickle due to face rash that spread and it turned out to be eczema all over her face and back. It was like sandpaper, Poor lass. Her little face bled in the wind and we had to use a steriod cream in the end as the other ointments didn't help :(
Thinking of you lots & lots & lots & lots
Get well soon chocs for Fin (and mummy has to test them to make sure they're ok obviously) :chocs:

Moogle

Monday, January 7th 2013, 12:41pm

[zx050] ladies!

Well, the blood has been taken and hopefully sent off. The nurse was pretty clueless as to when to expect the result, but she told me to call in tomorrow afternoon and they'll chase it up, as the hospital had told me within 24 hours. I have to say she didn't reassure me in the slightest - she said there had been incidences of slapped cheek in the area before Christmastime, and commented on F's "bright pink cheeks"... which I thought looked pretty much back to normal today! Silly wee moo. But I guess it's just a waiting game now. Still hoping that my wee guy doesn't have it, there's been no sign of the "lacy" rash that's also typical of the disease, but I know I'm clutching at straws a bit. It could be eczema Blue hun, as both F and I are suffer from it anyway, but my feeling is it's more likely to be something viral :-( Hopefully get-well chocs will help, lots of Vit C in those orange creams I bet ;)

Worried my little babba has stopped moving now too, have barely felt a flutter the last few days :|

How are you getting on Cherlou? Did you get anywhere with the docs yet? I've had cold symptoms and headaches as well - it's such a worry, but I suppose we need to try and remember that these are common 2nd tri pregnancy symptoms too. I certainly felt like this at the same stage with my others. Hope you're doing ok sweetie xxx

Cherlou

Superstar

Monday, January 7th 2013, 6:06pm

Glad u got sorted. Doctors have agreed to register me Wednesday and will push for blood test Thursday. So still a wait but better than nothing! I have had a killer headache today but the symptoms for it in adults is more stiff joints so am hoping headache is not related.

Are headaches normal? I seem to have one every day in the afternoon!

Big hugs hun xxx

Cherlous ICSI diary

5yrs TTC
Me 29 DH 30
QE Gateshead
ARGC

Cherlou

Superstar

Monday, January 7th 2013, 6:07pm

Can u feel baby Moogle? I have never felt mine...should I be able to at 14 weeks?

Xxxx

Cherlous ICSI diary

5yrs TTC
Me 29 DH 30
QE Gateshead
ARGC

Jasper

Reg: Feb 5th 2009

Children: A boy and girl - ICSI and a natural miracle!

What's Up?
soooooo happy!!!!!!

Monday, January 7th 2013, 7:17pm

Sorry you are having all this worry girls. I could sense your panic Cher so just thought I would jump in and say you are unlikely to feel movement at this stage if you haven't experienced it before. My first baby I felt at 18 or 19 weeks but about 12 second time round. Xx

Jaspers Journey-My Diary

Feb 15 Shock BFP (8 o)

Cherlou

Superstar

Monday, January 7th 2013, 7:25pm

Thanks jasper xxxx Thought it was too early. Def feel the odd pain here and there... Growing pains I think xxx

Cherlous ICSI diary

5yrs TTC
Me 29 DH 30
QE Gateshead
ARGC

Jasper

Reg: Feb 5th 2009

Children: A boy and girl - ICSI and a natural miracle!

What's Up?
soooooo happy!!!!!!

Monday, January 7th 2013, 7:30pm

It will feel like little wind bubbles to begin with, and some people don't even feel it til gone 20 weeks! It's so easy not to realise that it's baby moving at first.x

Jaspers Journey-My Diary

Feb 15 Shock BFP (8 o)

Dusky7

FORUM MENTOR

Reg: Aug 12th 2008

Children: Two beautiful little girls, so so lucky!! :)

What's Up?
:hello:

Monday, January 7th 2013, 7:34pm

Same Cher, was 17 weeks first and 16 second, guess its the same even with double trouble :) xxxxxx

1st ICSI - Oct 08 - :BFP:!!! DD born July 2009 : D
1st FET - May 11 - BFN :-(
2nd FET - Sept 11 - BFN :bawl:
3rd FET - Jan 12 - :BFP: DD2 born October 2012

DUSKY'S FET DIARY

Moogle

Monday, January 7th 2013, 10:02pm

Hey Cher, that's great you're getting tested this week. Another couple of days aren't going to make any difference, and I'm sure you'll be just fine anyway. I read that too about stiff joints, and xfingers all I've had so far is some hip pain, which is prob pregnancy related.

Re: baby's movements - 14 weeks would be waay early to feel your first, I've heard of twin mums too who felt their babies even later than singletons! So no worries for ya there... I have had two term or near-term babies already, and 6 pregnancies, so that's why I felt movements much earlier - since 12ish weeks. But it's still light and very sporadic. It's just been an extra upset for me that bubs chose this week to quieten down on top of everything else, but I did get some reassuring flutters this evening after dinner :) 16-20 weeks is normal for a first baby hun, and sometimes later...

Headaches are totally normal too! But yeah, another something we could definitely do without right now xxxxx

Cherlou

Superstar

Tuesday, January 8th 2013, 7:01pm

Thanks lovely ladies. Have a terrible head ache again, they get worse as day goes on. Gonna take some paracetamols and get an early night.

Moogle when do u get results?xxx

Cherlous ICSI diary

5yrs TTC
Me 29 DH 30
QE Gateshead
ARGC

Moogle

Tuesday, January 8th 2013, 8:43pm

Hi hun, was hoping for result today but no luck - should be tomorrow xfingers I did have a call this morning from a midwife at the hospital who is dealing with it, she said they'd call me as soon as the lab result came through. Again, she hasn't done much to reassure me though - even though nothing's been confirmed they're making me feel like a walking bag o' bugs! I've been very headachey too the last couple of days, and had a bit of a dicky tummy - but I don't think that's a parvo symptom is it?

Really hope you get your test done on Thursday and that you get the all-clear asap. This is just horrendous, isn't it? xxx [zx127]

United Kingdom

Wednesday, January 9th 2013, 4:24pm

Oh moogle, I just popped into your diary Hun, and seen these lab peeps still haven't got back to you.
Cherlou, I'm glad you are finally getting tested, I have quite literally got everything crossed for the both of you.
As far as I can read anywhere the headaches are normal pregnancy related, I have had loads, and have been using that 4head rub on stuff which helps a little. It's just hormones :/
Thinking of you x

Jappy

Reg: Sep 10th 2009

Children: One

What's Up?
I am a mommy !!!

Wednesday, January 9th 2013, 6:47pm

Hi Cher

I was about 21 weeks when I felt my bubba.....it's a real waiting game !!!!
Jappy

MY DIARY - Jappy's Journey

6th time lucky. BFP 30.12.11 : D
twins confirmed 10.1.12 :faint:
Lost one twin at 9 weeks. So sad x
Baby James born 18.9.12 - Finally blessed : D

Moogle

Friday, January 11th 2013, 5:55pm

Cherlou hun, how did you get on yesterday? I hope you got your test done and they get back to you ASAP xfingers xfingers

Found out today that I'm not immune :sadface: but I still have to wait until Tuesday to find out if I've been infected or not, due to a technical problem in the lab giving what they think is a false positive result.

Lxxx

Cherlou

Superstar

Friday, January 11th 2013, 6:06pm

Bless u Moogle what a crappy worry. I am having to wait till Monday to get bloods as couldn't get appointment today. Trying not to think or worry about it tho unless I have to.

Gp told me yesterday it's so rare that it could hurt baby and he has never seen it happen.

Fingers crossed for us both xxxx

Cherlous ICSI diary

5yrs TTC
Me 29 DH 30
QE Gateshead
ARGC

Dusky7

FORUM MENTOR

Reg: Aug 12th 2008

Children: Two beautiful little girls, so so lucky!! :)

What's Up?
:hello:

Friday, January 11th 2013, 7:23pm

Sorry you're not immune Moogle. Great what your GP said though Cher. I am sure you will both be fine. Hope they don't keep you waiting too long xxxxx

1st ICSI - Oct 08 - :BFP:!!! DD born July 2009 : D
1st FET - May 11 - BFN :-(
2nd FET - Sept 11 - BFN :bawl:
3rd FET - Jan 12 - :BFP: DD2 born October 2012

DUSKY'S FET DIARY

Moogle

Friday, January 11th 2013, 8:48pm

Thanks Dusky. Cher, I'm glad too to hear what your GP said - my midwives haven't been very reassuring, they just want me to stay away!! Well, if 50% of folks are immune... and out of two of us on here, one of us definitely isn't - I'd say the odds are really good you will be immune xfingers xfingers xfingers I'll try and follow your lead and stay calm... for now :) xxxx

Take care blowkiss

1 user apart from you is browsing this thread:

1 guests