You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "scoobysuzy" started this thread
  • United Kingdom

Reg: Dec 30th 2008

Children: none

Tuesday, November 27th 2012, 9:49am

Question C section or Natural Birth with Twins

Hello Ladies ,

I was wondering if there were any ladies who had Twins had to make a decision on the birth, I have been asked by my consultant what I would like to do and finding it very difficult to give him a answer, I have had a good pregnancy which I thought I would never have after so many attempts, and now I just want the best for my Girls and the safest way possible.
Both Girls are head down and a natural birth is possible , but then was told the 2nd baby could get stressed and I would have to have a C section after the 1st birth, this makes me panic the last thing i want is to have a baby stressed out and also I don't want forceps , If i have a C sec I know I will be out of action for a few days and they tell you not to drive is a C sec as bad as some people say ? this is the safest way for my babies but not me ? I have been booked in for natural delivery on 28th Dec which makes me nearly 38 weeks, which I'm not happy about.
What happens if I go into labour before do they do a C sec if that's what I have decided or leave me to give birth naturally, I'm very confused any help or advice will be appreciated.Sorry I have a baby brain today if this sounds stupid.

Suzy x

United Kingdom

Reg: Dec 22nd 2008

Children: Beautiful twin daughters and two grown up stepdaughters

Tuesday, November 27th 2012, 12:03pm

When I got the the hospital at 33 weeks I was in labour and 3cm dilated. That was the point at which I was asked whether I wanted to deliver naturally or have a c-section. It did not even cross my mind to carry on naturally and I opted for the c-section and off I went. I honestly wouldn't have changed a thing. Although I was absolutely terrified throughout my pregnancy of having a c-section I did not find it stressful at all (v. good drugs!) and I did not find the recovery difficult to handle. I was up and about within 24 hours and largely pain free within 5 days. Admittedly my twins were in SCBU and so I did not have to look after them round the clock and had a chance to recover before they came home. Best of luck whatever you decide.
Newly Wed

ICSI December 2008 - chemical pregnancy
ICSI May 2009 - BFN
FET September 2009 - BFP
Beautiful twin girls born 30 April 2010

sasha146

Reg: Aug 13th 2011

What's Up?
Adoption assessment complete

Tuesday, November 27th 2012, 12:28pm

hiya

i don't have any experience of twins or a c section however a friend of mine was booked in for a section with twins and went into labour herself the night before and gave birth naturally with no issues, another friend had a section (just one baby) and couldn't drive for 6 weeks and got an infection in her scar however after a very long labour and her ds heart rate dropping she was very glad she had the section in the end, i think you have to weigh up the pros and cons re your health and your babies health and not worry about the ifs, buts and maybes, there is no guessing how things are going to progress for you if you have a natural labour.
i hope it all works out for you

x
ME 30 DH 37

ICSI Oct 11 :BFP
bab11 July 12
FET Aug 14 BFN
FET Nov 14 BFN
What's next??

United Kingdom

Reg: Jul 2nd 2009

Children: Beautiful Jessica Mae x Holly and Elliot!

Thursday, November 29th 2012, 8:25pm

Unfortunately, I didn't have much choice when my twins arrived as I had an emergency section at 25+6.

They way I look at things is a section is not at all painful at the time but jeez, it's major surgery and it hurts like hell afterwards. My two were in NICU so I didn't have to look after two babies straight afterwards. I know they say not to drive for 6 weeks but I admit that I did after 3 weeks as I needed to get to and from the hospital. If you give birth naturally, it is painful during but hopefully, there is no pain afterwards and you just get on with things.

I too had worries that I would give birth naturally to one and then have an emergency section for the second and I kind of thought, what is the point. There are a few good reasons to have natural births though. For example, some babies who are born by section have to go into SCBU because they have fluid in their lungs. During the natural birth process, the fluid is squeezed out so perhaps no need for SCBU.

It's a tough one and only you guys can decide I am afraid!

h
3 X ICSI
Jessica Mae Duffety born sleeping on 9 January 2011 (21+2) - TS and HLHS
Holly and Elliot Duffety born on 16 October 2011 (25+6)
Natural Surprise - Matthew Evan Duffety born sleeping on 11 October 2013 (15+5)

Blue

United Kingdom

Reg: Sep 15th 2008

What's Up?
I need sleep!

Thursday, November 29th 2012, 8:56pm

Oh how I agonised over this decision! (Such a lovely decision to make though) : D
This thread might help:
A poll for mamas of twinnies!

I ended up having a planned section at 38 and a half weeks, and it worked out really well for me. The experience was actually lovely, I look back on it fondly, and my recovery was fast. But it is major surgery and there are risks.

What finally swung it for me was being told that in a twin pregnancy, the birth of the second twin is always high risk, with the risk of death being about 1 in 270. Having said that, I have since met many mums of twins who had natural deliveries.

My Diary
10 years, 5 cycles, and 3 beautiful children.
My family is complete :heart: :heart: :heart:

Reg: Mar 31st 2011

Children: Two miracle princesses

Monday, December 10th 2012, 1:11pm

I wanted a section all the way through my pregnancy but my consultant was very much for the natural delivery! I too was petrified of what could go wrong with a natural birth and thought the safest way would be to have a section. However, I went into labour at 33 weeks and ended up delivering them naturally - twin 1 was head down and I delivered twin 2 breech. I felt very relaxed and knew I was in safe hands and am very pleased that the decision was taken out of my hands lol. It's a tough decision because everybody has good and bad stories about both a natural delivery and of a section. Also, if you choose the natural delivery, they recommend you have an epidural with twins, so you will more than likely be pain free throughout :-)

Wishing you lots of luck - many people think I'm crazy for saying this, but I would love to give birth again!! xx
1st ICSI May 2011 - :BFP:

Scan on 29th June - [zx076] [zx076]

Reg: Jun 10th 2009

Children: Two perfect 3yr olds

Monday, December 10th 2012, 9:00pm

Hello, for some reason I was determined to have a natural birth and never discussed anything other than that with my consultant. Luckily both my babies were head down and when I went into labour at 34+5 I ended up delivering both (with the help of forceps). Like Lou, I knew I was in good hands and if they had told me I needed a csection I would have gone with their advice.

I just wanted to have as shorter recovery time as possible and also wanted to do what I thought was the 'natural' thing to do.

I believe you need to go with your gut feel and what is right for you. Your peace of mind is more important than all our views. There are so many good and bad birth stories, so don't try to analyse it too much. What you decide will be right for you and your babies.

xx

Jannie
Aug 09 - IUI - BFN
; Oct 09 - ICSI - BFN; Jan 10 - ICSI cancelled;
DICSI in Valencia Mar10 :BFP:
Jannie's Diary
Oscar and Emilia born 8th November 2010

Reg: Sep 10th 2010

What's Up?
Tired but happy!

Monday, December 10th 2012, 9:03pm

Hi! I was thinking about what to post when I got to the bottom and saw your update...
:congrats: on the arrival of your little ones!

I was going to say I had my twins naturally, they were both head down on the day they decided to turn up so I went for it. Gas/air and forceps and 7.5hrs of emotional rollercoaster but I agree I would love to be pregnant again and much less terrified about labour if I did it again, so tiring but such a wonderful reward at the end!
[zx102]

IUI Nov 09 BFN ..... 1st ICSI Oct 10 BFP m/c 8weeks ;( ..... 2nd ICSI June 11 [zx076] [zx076]
MY DIARY

Valentine's day twins 2012
And a surprise DS 27/1/15

• "scoobysuzy" started this thread
  • United Kingdom

Reg: Dec 30th 2008

Children: none

Tuesday, December 11th 2012, 10:39pm

:xmastree: Thanks ladies, I have to say I will be trying natural delivery as babies are both head first , I have to go with what the consultant thinks is best for me as he has been so good all the way through this pregnancy. And after all they know best. I just cant wait now till my little girls arrive I am 35 + 3 , I will be induced on 28th Dec if they dont come before we are praying they come next week lol , so everyone gets to see them over Christmas.

Happy Christmas to you all and your little ones

Suzy xxx xmas44

1 user apart from you is browsing this thread:

1 guests