You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "scoobysuzy" started this thread
  • United Kingdom

Reg: Dec 30th 2008

Children: none

Friday, August 31st 2012, 6:30pm

Low Placenta in twin 1

Hello Ladies,
I had my 20 week scan today, to be told i have a low placenta in twin one and that it can course heavy bleeding , which im really worried about. twin two is fine and a little girl .Has anyone else had this with twins apparently its not very common, I have to have another scan next week to check see if its moved.really worried now i may lose them.

Suzy :-(

Rene

Lone wolf

South Africa

Reg: Oct 3rd 2005

Children: one gorgeous boy

What's Up?
I have PMA
I'm Positive that
I am Mental
and I know I have Attitude

Friday, August 31st 2012, 7:17pm

Hi, Suzy
So sorry to read that you are experiencing this worry...

I have not experienced this myself but do know a bit about it - it is called placenta praevia.

Placenta Praevia is graded on how low the placenta is which could be anything from close to the os (opening to the cervix) to completely lying over the os. It may result in some bleeding if the os starts to open a bit and the severity of the bleed can vary based on how much the os has opened and how close or how far over the os the placenta is positioned. That said, there are also women who have gone quite far into their pregnancies with the worst grade of this problem and had not even so much as a single drop of blood passed.

Although placenta previa is not that common (about 1 in every 250 pregnancies) it is also not really rare and studies have found that it is actually more common in twin pregnancies than for singletons (a ratio of about 5:3) and is actually the most common cause of bleeding later in pregnancy.

A scan just 1 week after noting that this exists is actually not enough time to show if it has shifted or not - generally it would be checked every 3-6 weeks.

The one thing that is for sure with placenta previa is that if the placenta is truly low and either touching of covering the os, you will not be given the option of normal birth but scheduled for a c-section, probably a bit on the earlier side to try to do it before the cervix starts to ripen and open which would be the time of highest risk of bleeding.

Should the bleeding be heavy and/or there be any risk to the baby/babies, an emergency c-section may be required

I am really surprised at the lack of tact and the incomplete information that you were given and must admit that I am angry too that this person has given you cause for anxiety which is the last thing you need right now.

At your next scan, please ask for more more comprehensive information about this and what the implications are to YOUR pregnancy and not just a generalisation: i.e. - exaclty how low is it? Is it close to, touching or over the cervix? Would the position of placenta mean you would have no choice but to have a c-section?

The good news is that, if the placenta is merely low and not quite touching the os, chances are good that it will "move away" from the os as your uterus expands further...

PCOS, hypothyroid - on thyroxine, aspirin and Met
Lap/Ovarian Drilling Oct 2005
DIUI X5 + 2 abandoned cycles (total 7 cycles)
:BFP: 22 March 2006 - Connor Born 24 November 2006 - unplanned c-section
At 3 and a half C finally gave up the boob!

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Friday, August 31st 2012, 10:41pm

I'm not a twin Mum but had this with my singleton. The good news is that they've used the term 'low' but as Rene says, you need to know where it is. Mine was covering part of my cervix but gradually, as my uterus grew, it was pulled out of the way. By the end of my pregnancy is was only a few tiny mm away but enough to allow a natural delivery. It does all boil down to millimetres!

You'll have lots of scans now to monitor it and of course you'll know that any sign of bleeding could be related to the placenta so it's good to be aware. Try not to worry though because although it's not great to have 'another' thing to worry about, you know and the hospital know so you're in good hands and you're well prepared if anything happens.

Maria72

Italy

What's Up?
ohffs

Saturday, September 1st 2012, 8:44am

I have no experience of this,must wanted to send you a :hugs: and tell you to follow Rene's suggestions.

• United Kingdom

Saturday, September 1st 2012, 9:35am

Thank you ladies it is very worrying but I have to be positive and try not to worry to much, even though i didnt sleep well last night.I have a midwife appointment on Monday, but for now im just going to be me and try not to do to much thinking about it by keeping my mind busy.
I hope and pray my little ones will be ok.

Thank you once again.
Suzy xxx

United Kingdom

Reg: Jul 2nd 2009

Children: Beautiful Jessica Mae x Holly and Elliot!

Sunday, September 2nd 2012, 11:00am

Hi there,

A couple of the ladies I sat in hospital with for 6 weeks had placenta previa. It is a worry and you need to be carefully monitored but a further scan to show exactly how the placenta may be positioned will tell you more. One thing I would say is that as you grow, a low placenta may well move up (largely because the body is stretching to accommodate everything). Just make sure you keep on top of your scans etc and push for anything you feel you need checking.

h
3 X ICSI
Jessica Mae Duffety born sleeping on 9 January 2011 (21+2) - TS and HLHS
Holly and Elliot Duffety born on 16 October 2011 (25+6)
Natural Surprise - Matthew Evan Duffety born sleeping on 11 October 2013 (15+5)

United Kingdom

Reg: Jun 13th 2010

Sunday, September 2nd 2012, 6:31pm

Hi Suzy

Congratulations on being pregnant with twins. At 20 weeks the lower of my twins placenta was lying over the cervix, they didn't make a big deal of it and just said it would probably have moved by 24 weeks and it had, so hopefully yours will too! I don't think it is common for the placenta to be over the cervix by the time of delivery, but is is common earlier in pregnancy.

It is worrying carrying twins there are so many more checks, but I've found midwives in the community and at the hospital don't mind me phoning up or going in with concerns so don't be afraid to ask.

Take care

RM
xx

Beautiful boy born in January 2007
TTC second since March 2009
Luteal phase defect - 4 rounds clomid
BFP 14.2.2012 - 2 beautiful heartbeats seen EDD 22nd Oct - Its a boy and a girl!

• United Kingdom

Monday, September 3rd 2012, 10:06am

Thank you so much ladies, even though im trying not to think about it, its very hard not too. i have to see a midwife today,so im hopeing she will be nice to me and offer some more help if not Im going to ask for it.
Runningmum thank you , they didnt really make a big deal of it either but did put i was over weight and they found baby hard to see, after all the years of having treatment and having hormone replacements , i really cant help my weight at this presant time so that was also upsetting.

some people dont understand what we ladies go through to get our dreams.

Suzy xx

Reg: Jan 29th 2012

Children: 2 beautiful Angel babies xx

Monday, September 3rd 2012, 9:00pm

HI Suzy sorry you've got this to worry about. I was intially told I had the same issue around week 12 but they told me not to worry about it because as you grow, the placenta can be pulled up out of the way of the cervix, and just as hoped/predicted, that is what happened and by week 16 the placenta had moved out of the way completely. Try not worry too much, you will be getting the best care and monitoring I'm sure and they won't take chances with you. As for them telling you about your weight, put that out of mind! You are growing 2 babies very well at the moment, so clearly you're in good health. Once they arrive you will not stop and I'm sure the weight will drop off you then.

Wishing you the very best of luck hun, take care blowkiss

Sep 10-IVF abandoned ?o( Jun 11:BFP-Premature Twins-too tiny to survive ;(:girl:1 day old :boy: 25 days old.Jun 12:BFP:mc 6w1d :| Oct 12:BFP:mc 7w2d ;( Apr 13:BFP: Our wonderful surrogate is carrying our baby!

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Komolafe" (Sep 3rd 2012, 9:01pm)

Reg: Mar 19th 2011

Thursday, September 6th 2012, 11:39pm

Hi Suzy. Sorry you have this worry. I had severe placenta praevia with my lo but this is very unusual. Most of the time the placenta moves as the uterus grows. I met lots of women who we're in hospital with this and went full term .you will be scanned alot and closely monitored. I'm horrified that you weren't given more info, no wonder you are so anxious. Glad you are seeing your midwife soon I hope you get some reassurance. Take care. X