You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "Wannabemum82" started this thread
  • United Kingdom

Reg: Mar 7th 2011

Children: 2 little beans on the way!

Monday, July 2nd 2012, 9:50am

Cot Bumpers

I've been looking at bedding bundles and they all come with quilts and bumpers. I know that you can't use the quilt until the baby is 1 but what about the bumper. i keep reading conflicting information about their safety. Alos, if they're not safe then why are they still available to buy???

United Kingdom

Reg: Jun 13th 2010

Monday, July 2nd 2012, 12:00pm

I never bothered with a cot bumper - I'm not sure about safety.......I used sleeping bags rather than quilts or blankets with my DS once he was big enough. I found them much easier as he couldn't kick them off and stayed nice an warm, I didn't give him a blanket until he was potty trained and was in a bed at about 2 1/2!

United Kingdom

Reg: Jul 14th 2009

Children: Two little twinnies on the way!

What's Up?
Can't wait to get my boys home x

Monday, July 2nd 2012, 12:05pm

The bedding Im getting for mine come with either half bumpers or full bumpers, and I like them. I dont think theyre a necessity but i like them as they look cute. IVe not heard anything bad about them (not that ive come across anyway but havent really looked!)

I'll also be keeping mine in sleeping bags - you can get winter or summer ones. Ive also managed to find ones that match the bedding.. (waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much time on my hands haha) x

Reg: Jun 12th 2010

Children: one daughter born 28th Sept 12

Monday, July 2nd 2012, 12:46pm

So you shouldnt use bumpers until the babys are over one.Check the latest SIDS info. I would follow Running mums advice and use swaddle bags and sleeping bags only.
Better safe than sorry!
x

United Kingdom

Reg: Sep 24th 2006

Children: Three gorgeous daughters!

Monday, July 2nd 2012, 3:05pm

There is already a thread about this in the parenting section. Cot Bumpers - Do you use them?

I agree about the cot and crib bedding bundles, I had a hell of a time tracking one down that didn't have a quilt in it. It seems madness that the manufacturers of the bedding go against all of the safety advice us parents are given.

• "Wannabemum82" started this thread
  • United Kingdom

Reg: Mar 7th 2011

Children: 2 little beans on the way!

Monday, July 2nd 2012, 3:39pm

Thanks for your input ladies. The bedding set I have seen comes with a lovely bumper and quilt but it seems that I may be wasting my money if I buy them and then have to take them out of the cots when the babies go into their own room. Hmmmm, lots to think about.

Sorry for raising a new thread Polly Pocket. I did look for similar ones first but couldn't find anything. I'll toddle off and have a look at what people have said in that thread.

United Kingdom

Reg: Jul 14th 2009

Children: Two little twinnies on the way!

What's Up?
Can't wait to get my boys home x

Monday, July 2nd 2012, 3:42pm

I just read a 'Which' report on bumpers. They advise they shouldnt be used when the child can physically pull themselves up etc. Im in two mind now, argh!!!

JENSQUI

Megastar

Reg: Feb 26th 2007

Children: one very special daughter

Monday, July 2nd 2012, 8:30pm

never had one, never saw the point! My baby looked cute enough by herself without any added frippery ;)

Gracie

Reg: Jul 15th 2007

What's Up?
I now have double the trouble :)

Monday, July 2nd 2012, 8:37pm

I've not got one either, Freya has been in a sleeping bag since she was a couple of months old and that's been fine for her.

gemmab

FORUM MENTOR

Reg: Feb 8th 2008

Children: 2 miracle icsi boys and 2 step kids.

What's Up?
Getting ready for another egg donation!!!

Monday, July 2nd 2012, 11:54pm

I have all of them.

Cobi has sleeping bags cause they are easier, goes on top of the quilt cause it adds padding and has a lovely top end cot bumper.

Cobi sleeps 12 hours a night in his own room at three months and I never worry cause I have a breathing monitor- an absolute god send.

Just go with what you want and like cause you'll always get conflicting reviews!