You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "dizzi-red" started this thread

Reg: Oct 3rd 2005

Thursday, September 7th 2006, 9:58pm

chicken pox

dd came home from school today covered in them! ;( she didnt have any this morning, but when i picked her up from school, she had 9 ;(, 2 on her face-she`s picked one of them 8o. took her to the doctors and a few more had appeared, got home and she`d got more :(. poor girl, she`s got calamine lotion, piriton, calpol and inhalers as her chest is off slightly.
then my neighbour came round with her two boys and checked them and they`ve both come out in it! 8o
so, dd`s got to be off school for atleast 10 days, i`ve phoned them and told them, so i have to go into school tomorrow and get her some work. i feel dead bad cuz she`s only just gone back into school, and it`s a new school so she`s not had much chance to make friends! :( she loves this school and was crying cuz she wants to go in! :rolleyes:

me 25,
partner 33,
7 year old daughter
3 step daughters aged 9, 5 and 3
3 m/c 01, 04 and o5

IRISH

• "IRISH" is no longer a member of FZ

Reg: Jul 15th 2006

Thursday, September 7th 2006, 10:23pm

oh dizzi poor little mite ;(

all my lot have had them bar joe...dd2 was 10 months when she had them....i'd say so long as she's still getting her schoolwork that'll keep her caught up that way...and she'll catch up with her friends when she goes back

hope she feels better soon hun xxxxx

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Thursday, September 7th 2006, 10:56pm

Poor DD, what a pain that she's missing school when she's only just gone back. I hope her symptoms aren't too troubling.

Just a reminder for any other Mums ..... it's not advisable to take your child to the doctors while the blisters are still appearing as there may be susceptible people in the waiting room (pregnant Mums, the elderly or other children and babies). There isn't a specific medicine for chicken pox and your doctor should prescribe any needed medication (calamine and Calpol) without having to see the child.

Thursday, September 7th 2006, 11:46pm

bells, when i phoned up the gp, they said i had to take dd in to see a gp to make sure it wasnt something else, ie flea bites, scabies, impitigo etc and i asked if we could wait outside as there were young children and a baby of a few weeks old and the receptionist came and got us after approx 1 min anyway. but my friend said to send dd into school as she`s not contageous untill they scab?? i`m still keeping her off school anyway to be on the safe side, i`ve never seen chickenpox before and dont remember when i had them as a child, round the same age as dd actually.
my neighbour, who`s 2 boys have got it too, has been round again tonight worried sick as one of her older boys got chickenpox when he was a baby and it went into his brain and made him critically ill, now i`m quite worried about dd. it`s probably a common sympton, but she just crashed out real early tonight, which isnt like her, but i started paniking. then i realised that kids do sleep alot when they`re ill! :rolleyes:

me 25,
partner 33,
7 year old daughter
3 m/c 01, 04 and o5

Reg: Sep 26th 2005

Children: 6 yr old gorgeous girl, single mum now

Friday, September 8th 2006, 7:52am

dizzi don't send her in! she is contagious from a few days before the first spot to when they all crust over. poor mite! x
adoption...after a typically long journey, approved November 05, linked with strawb December 05, Brought our princess home May 06, aged 21 months

single mum since dec 08, and very grateful for the FZ support through the whole lot xx

** CLICK TO SUPPORT FZ **

Friday, September 8th 2006, 9:42am

vege,
i`ve not sent dd in school, she wont be in untill 6 days after they`ve scabbed up like the gp said to do.
she`s not got many more today, expected her to be covered in them this morning. so hopefully it`s just a mild case of it.

me 25,
partner 33,
7 year old daughter
3 m/c 01, 04 and o5

Reg: Oct 7th 2005

Saturday, March 17th 2007, 12:28pm

Vaccinations

what are the UK times for vaccinations?

DS has been offered by our private clinic to have his MMR and Chickenpox vacs at 15 months

Is this normal?

Missy

Superstar

Saturday, March 17th 2007, 1:46pm

Any time around 13-15months is normal :))

lolly has hers in about 3 weeks :(

xxx

4 baby angels, forever in our hearts

* CLICK *
TO SUPPORT FZ!

mrsjasper

Megastar

Reg: Nov 2nd 2005

Children: 2 gorgeous girls

Saturday, March 17th 2007, 5:09pm

Sounds normal to me although chickenpox isn't part of the UK schedule, yet, and we give two doses of MMR because it has about an 80-90% rate of effectiveness per dose.

• "victoria82" is no longer a member of FZ

Reg: Oct 5th 2005

Saturday, March 17th 2007, 9:19pm

dd had hers at 15 months too

Sunday, March 18th 2007, 7:08am

so, has anyone had their kids innoculated against chicken pox?

mrsjasper

Megastar

Sunday, March 18th 2007, 8:26am

Found some info for you.

This one is from the vaccine manufacturer so bear in mind they might overplay the risk fromthe disease.
http://www.apmsd.co.uk/doc.asp?catid=189&docid=406

Its a live vaccine and the disease can be very serious in pregnancy so I would ask whoever is giving it whether it can be transmitted to you from DS once he's been vaccinated, unless you are already immune from either the vaccine or previous infection. If I was administering, I would be contacting the manufacturer for advice as I have no experience of it.

Sunday, March 18th 2007, 11:36am

well DH has had chicken pox twice!!! (one of the rare weirdos that does actually catch it twice) and he caught it during my first IVF! prat..... anyway I definitely got c-pox as a kid, and didnt catch it again from DH, so should be ok

thanks for the link

Eeyore

TECHNICAL ADMIN

United Kingdom

Reg: Sep 27th 2005

What's Up?
Manners are appreciated
and free to use

Thursday, August 30th 2007, 2:41pm

Cases of measles

Have we supported you? Can you support us?

CLICK HERE FOR FERTILITYZONE SUPPORT & MEMBERSHIP

My journey has now ended. 6 babies in Heaven.

'It'll be all right in the end - if it isn't all right yet then it isn't the end!'

Rivka

Reg: Oct 11th 2005

Thursday, August 30th 2007, 2:59pm

Thanks for that info E, Plum finally has her jabs tomorrow all being well. anxious until thats all sorted.

Saz

Thursday, August 30th 2007, 3:08pm

One of the kids at R's nursery had this a couple of weeks ago. R had her jabs last week thank God

Chilli

Megastar

United Kingdom

Thursday, August 30th 2007, 4:09pm

I heard this on the news today it is still very much a big oh ha isn't it? I know a few people who have decided against it.

Thursday, August 30th 2007, 10:50pm

DS1 got German Measles (Rubella) last summer even though he'd had the MMR the year before. :rolleyes: The doctor said it was because the uptake of the MMR in our region wasn't high enough. Makes me cross that my DS1 gets one of the illnesses because others didn't want to have it.

I absolutely recommend having the jab, no exceptions, as having it is soooo much safer than not, I suppose I just want to warn you to think about it if one of your Little Ones gets ill, to remember that it could be one of the three you've immunised against.
Had a total of three fresh IVF cycles and three frozen transfers (embryos and blastocysts)
m/c @ 11 weeks in 2007 DS1 and DS2 born from fresh IVF cycles :D
:D

Friday, August 31st 2007, 2:21am

My husband is deaf from having contracted measles as a child.
Stone deaf in one ear, limited hearing in the other.
Multiple painful operations, including a time when there was infection on the brain, due to secondary infections from the disease.
Suffers from vertigo because of inner ear trouble.
Suffers from lack of self-confidence in large social gatherings because he has to lip read conversations and cannot hear people talking to him.
Enjoys music, but has limited ability to hear it properly.
Cant always hear our son calling to him - affects his relationship with him.

All because his mum didnt want him to have the measles vaccination. She still feels incredibly guilty about it 30+ years on.

Chilli

Megastar

United Kingdom

Friday, August 31st 2007, 8:33am

Phew i am glad you both spoke out as i totally agree, M's got hers tuesday providng she is well enough she has a throat infection which has now gone to her chest :(

JoJo

Ace

Friday, August 31st 2007, 8:54am

thanks for posting this Eeyore, we only had ella immunised with the MMR a few weeks ago and Im so glad that I did. I was so scared to have this done. all the horror stories on the news really played on my mind. After really good advice from people on here we had it done she did have a small reaction to it but its all cleared up now. im so glad she has had it now.

mrsjasper

Megastar

Friday, August 31st 2007, 9:04am

Quoted

Originally posted by Limpet
DS1 got German Measles (Rubella) last summer even though he'd had the MMR the year before. :rolleyes: The doctor said it was because the uptake of the MMR in our region wasn't high enough. Makes me cross that my DS1 gets one of the illnesses because others didn't want to have it.

I absolutely recommend having the jab, no exceptions, as having it is soooo much safer than not, I suppose I just want to warn you to think about it if one of your Little Ones gets ill, to remember that it could be one of the three you've immunised against.

MMR is about 90% effective per dose. So approx 90% of children will respond fully to the first dose and 90% of non responders will be protected by the second dose, thus giving approximately 99% coverage. The idea is that those non responders and those who are unable to have the vaccine will be protected by 'herd immunity', in other words, there aren't enough suseptable individuals around for the disease to be transmitted so everyone is protected. You can see how, when vaccine uptake is low, everyone becomes vulnerable.

MMR can be given as young a 3 months in the case of local outbreaks, but this does not provide sufficient long term immunity because the immune system is still developing at this age, so 2 doses at 13 months and 3 1/2 to 5 years is still necessary.

My own opinion is that, certainly in the UK, we are fortunate because we have forgotten how serious measles can be, because it was almost eliminated by MMR. Unfortunately, it appears it is going to take some childrens lives being threatened to remind us.

Tuesday, September 4th 2007, 12:26pm

What is the recommended age for the booster? You say age 3.5-5, but that's a long time period. If DS1 may have been one of the non-responders, is it a good idea to go for it asap? He's 3 years 7 months now. My surgery hasn't sent a reminder letter.
Had a total of three fresh IVF cycles and three frozen transfers (embryos and blastocysts)
m/c @ 11 weeks in 2007 DS1 and DS2 born from fresh IVF cycles :D
:D

mrsjasper

Megastar

Tuesday, September 4th 2007, 1:25pm

Yes I would go and get him boosted now, just make an appointment. The 2 doses can be given just 3 months apart if necessary.

The schedule is for it to be given anytime between 3.5 a 5 years, it IS a long time and I'm not sure why its like that. I think its going to change in order to get the second MMR given ASAP.

Tuesday, September 4th 2007, 2:01pm

wow - you learn something new every day - I wasnt aware there was a booster vaccination

has anyone here had their child have a BCG before 10 years old? here they give at birth and we backed away from that as I thought it was too young, but we are seriously reconsidering

mrsjasper

Megastar

Tuesday, September 4th 2007, 2:05pm

DD had it at about 6 hours old.

Sun you can get really good vaccine info on www.doh.gov.uk/greenbook Its the immunisation 'bible' for healthcare professionals in the uk. Its very readable (I took the book home and read it like a novel!) and easy to understand even if you aren't a health care professional.

Missy

Superstar

Tuesday, September 4th 2007, 2:05pm

How do you know if they are non responders then? Sun what is BCG? Sorry having a thick day!

* CLICK *
TO SUPPORT FZ!

cookie

Superstar

• "cookie" is no longer a member of FZ

Tuesday, September 4th 2007, 2:07pm

we usually have the bcg in secondary school here, think i was abotu 13-14 it leaves a scar on the top of your arm....i know a baby who has had it and he seems fine...im not 100% sure what it immunises you against tho ?(

I'm running down the road like loose electricity, while the band in my head plays a strip tease!

Missy

Superstar

Tuesday, September 4th 2007, 2:10pm

Is that your TB jab??

Chilli, we ended up rebooking L's and cancelling it for weeks because she had a cold that wouldn't go, she eventually had it a month ago with no side effects :))

* CLICK *
TO SUPPORT FZ!

Tuesday, September 4th 2007, 2:13pm

mrsj - thanks

yup - BCG is the TB jab

Rene

Lone wolf

South Africa

Children: one gorgeous boy

What's Up?
I have PMA
I'm Positive that
I am Mental
and I know I have Attitude

Tuesday, September 4th 2007, 3:30pm

C had BCG at birth and will have a BCG booster at age 5/6 years. He had his measles and chicken pox vaccines last week and will have an MMR at 18 months as that is the schedule down here. I am not going to skip any vaccines on offer as I want to protect him as much as I can.

I don't know about measles, but with Rubella you can have your little one's blood tested to assess immunity. Here the test is done at puberty on girls and early in pregnancy (but may be requested at any time) because of the complications it holds for the unborn baby. I was not vaccinated and was infected at age 7 and again at age 12 (even when you contract the illness you are not garanteed 100% immunity) but my blood results show that I am now, thankfully, immune.

PCOS, hypothyroid - on thyroxine, aspirin and Met
Lap/Ovarian Drilling Oct 2005
DIUI X5 + 2 abandoned cycles (total 7 cycles)
:BFP: 22 March 2006 - Connor Born 24 November 2006 - unplanned c-section
At 3 and a half C finally gave up the boob!

Missy

Superstar

Tuesday, September 4th 2007, 3:34pm

Ah! Thanks for that, the reason I ask is because I was fully immunised and I still had both measles and german measles, I have also had chickenpox twice. Hopefully Lolly won't get any of these, but being immunised gives her a better chance of recovery with less complications
xxx

* CLICK *
TO SUPPORT FZ!

Chilli

Megastar

United Kingdom

Tuesday, September 4th 2007, 4:17pm

M had her MMR today she is all better now since her throat infection, I was still a little worried as she has been on antibiotics but was assured it would be fine. M didn't even cry to busy trying to pull the sticker off my top!

Monday, September 10th 2007, 2:14pm

chickenpox!

chickenpox. arrrgh! need i say more?
adoption...after a typically long journey, approved November 05, linked with strawb December 05, Brought our princess home May 06, aged 21 months

single mum since dec 08, and very grateful for the FZ support through the whole lot xx

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Monday, September 10th 2007, 2:18pm

Oh dear!

Cool baths, pink calamine cream not the runny white stuff. Pour it into a dish and use a cotton bud to dab onto the spots... let Strawberry help. Tell her to press them if they're itchy not scratch them 'or she'll get big yucky scabs' .

No tight clothing, waistbands... a soft nightie is helpful. Paracetamol suspension will help cool her and lessen the itching... lots of cold fluids, lollies etc....

It's only a week of hassle .... :rolleyes:

Rufus

Star

Children: One son, aged 8, daughter 1

Monday, September 10th 2007, 2:20pm

Poor pet. Hope she gets well soon, love Lesa xx
Keep smiling :happy:

Monday, September 10th 2007, 2:29pm

she's not too bothered at all yet, hopefully a mild dose.
pharmacy said no calamine as it dries the skin too much and makes scarring worse.
got paracetamol and piriton. I'm sure my new workplace are thrilled with me lol!!

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Monday, September 10th 2007, 2:36pm

That's interesting re the calamine.... the pink stuff is Lacto Calamine... I wonder if that has the same effect mmmmmm

When DD1 had them she wasn't poorly at all, just very itchy once they started crusting over. That's when the paracetamol helps as it helps keep their temp down.

Monday, September 10th 2007, 2:45pm

will have to check out the pink stuff then if it becomes a problem. poor love, they are "everywhere" IYKWIM. :(

Monday, September 10th 2007, 2:48pm

bugger - guess she didnt have the vaccinations when she was younger then?

LOTS of lollipops as the blisters are also in the throat & mouth

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Monday, September 10th 2007, 2:50pm

I know what you mean by 'everywhere'.... oooh, it's awful isn't it?! :(

Sun, we don't vaccinate against chickenpox.... do they over there?

Monday, September 10th 2007, 2:56pm

yup - but it is optional

Monday, September 10th 2007, 3:00pm

she's being very good, just a little tireder than usual and a bit sooky bless her. no vaccine here.

Monday, September 10th 2007, 3:03pm

I remember having this as well as a kid, and my mum freaking out on me for scratching my "dirty" bits ;( I was only 4 - I didnt realise that your front bum was "dirty".... it was itchy ;(

Tuesday, September 11th 2007, 9:12am

aw poor you!

and poor little strawberry. She is feeling it a bit more today bless her.

She just rang my parents in Aus and told them she has chicken "pops"

Eeyore

TECHNICAL ADMIN

United Kingdom

What's Up?
Manners are appreciated
and free to use

Tuesday, September 11th 2007, 9:22am

awwwww poor love, chicken pops are rubbish :D

Have we supported you? Can you support us?

CLICK HERE FOR FERTILITYZONE SUPPORT & MEMBERSHIP

My journey has now ended. 6 babies in Heaven.

'It'll be all right in the end - if it isn't all right yet then it isn't the end!'

Ethel

Star

Reg: Oct 4th 2005

Tuesday, September 11th 2007, 9:29am

Ohh no poor thing - hope she gets better soon

Tuesday, September 11th 2007, 9:32am

she is being a very brave soldier. we are watching Justin on something special. Mr Tumble always cheers us up!

Ethel

Star

Reg: Oct 4th 2005

Tuesday, September 11th 2007, 9:35am

Ohh I saw that the other day round my friends quite liked it

I was also really in to Finley the Fire engine on sat too - it was a lovely story about how you shld value people's things. I tried to explain to my friend's kids after the meaning of it but they just looked at me like i was gone out

Tuesday, September 11th 2007, 9:44am

ah bless little strawbs

have you tried after-sun lotion on the spots? it's nice & cooling :D

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE