You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "SunnyBee" started this thread

Reg: Sep 9th 2010

Sunday, January 1st 2012, 4:56pm

Shopping for newborn twins & what to pack into the hospital bag?

Hi girls.
I am 23 weeks pregnant with twins and have been now wondering for few weeks what I should be buying to be ready for when they arrive.
We have put a deposit down for a pushchair, 2 carseats, nappy bag, couple of footmuffs but that is it. We are planning to get the cots & mattresses in January but otherwise I have not bought anything. And I am really unsure of how much clothes and what type do I need to get for them + what other stuff is a must?

Also how much and what do you take with you to the hospital? I know it all depends on how healthy the babies are when born but even if they are doing realy well, how long do you think is the everage they will keep you in the hospital with twins? What do you normally need for the babies and is there something specific I should get for me?

Any ideas girls? Thank you.

MY DIARY

April'10-IVF 4 eggs-none fertilised
Sep'10-ICSI 2 eggs,1 fertilised 7/10/10 BFN
Jan'11-ICSI 13 eggs,9 fertilsed, 2x8 cells put back - 4/2/11 BFN
May'11-ICSI 14 eggs,9 fertilised - none made it to day 5
Aug'11-DE,Czech Rep 13/8 2 blasts trans,1 frostie - :BFP:
Scan 8/9/11,3/10/11,20/10/11,15/12/11,6/1/12,2/2/12, 2/3/12, 5/4/12 bab10 bab11
Twins arrived 8/4/12 both healthy

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "SunnyBee" (Jan 1st 2012, 4:57pm)

taxihome

United Kingdom

Sunday, January 1st 2012, 5:40pm

Id say plenty of babygrows with scratch mitts attached! Vests, cardigans atc. Nappies and all thats entailed with that. BF or bottle feeding stuff.
Your likely to have babies early with twins but best be prepared.
Besides the obv stuff for you incase of a c sec i would reccomend slippers that you dont have to bend down to put on and a big nightie.
There is a great thread on here with all the stuff you need somewhere. Xxxx

[zx071]
2 x man boys -MC,Ectopic IVF x 4 Natural BFP/Born sleeping 22/WksRIP LO
Jan/11:ICSI:BFP: bab21 [zx115] Our dream has finally come true
MY DIARY

Reg: Jul 3rd 2008

Children: 2 beautiful twin daughters :)

Sunday, January 1st 2012, 8:13pm

Congratulations on expecting twins Sunnybee :D They are wonderful!!

This is what I would recommend:
For you I would be prepared for 5 days, this is how long I was in after my csection which was a long time, but we had a few minor complications: 3 nighties, thin dressing gown, slippers, thick maternity pads (night time Always will not do!), granny pants (vital after a csection to prevent elastic rubbing scar), maternity bras (if planning to breast feed) and breast pads (you will leak once your milk comes in!), shower stuff. Most importantly plenty of snacks and drinks - the food in my hospital was sparse and one day I got a single dry jacket potato!! Luckily I had cartons of fruit juice, flapjacks and biscuits and DH bought me in sandwhiches each evening. I foolishly took a puzzle book and magazines, which I look back at and laugh at...I didn't even have the time/energy to look at them :snigger: A mobile phone also goes without saying! I got highly stressed with the amount of texts, calls etc that I got and didn't have time to reply to so I would recommend your DH taking over all communication with others and let you concentrate on recovering, having a phone to just call for help!

For the baby's you will need a small pack of size 1 nappies, cotton wool balls (or wipes, but some midwives are a bit old fashioned and discourage using them on newborns); 10 vests, 10 babygrows (as Taxihome says, fold over scratch mits are easier - I remember Sainsburies and Next sell them), a couple of hats.

Feeding - depends on how you're planning to feed and also on your hospital. Mine provided formula and bottle for those who bottle fed, but I took 2 bottles and a couple of cartons of ready-made formula just in case. I could really have done with a decent breast feeding pillow from day 1 - I didn't take it with me as I was afraid I already had too much! However, it would have saved a lot of faff as I needed 4 pillows to get the twins in the right position!

I ended up with a small suitcase for the babies, a large backpack for me, plus the nappies and feeding pillows...but you will never travel light again so it's good preparation :snigger:

In general, you can NEVER have enough babygrows and vests - once they start pooing, it goes everywhare and leaks, so with each feed you will most probably have to change them. They feed every 2-3 hours in the very early days... if you haven't already got a tumble drier - it's an investment well worth considering :8o:

Good luck, such an exciting time!!

Oh I almost forgot, I rave about them all the time - I got a couple of "bundle bags" http://www.cherubini.co.uk **link not endorsed by FZ** which were so incredibly useful as it allowed me to carry both twins at once around the house. They were also really useful when I was setting up to breast feed as I could just grab the handles and place then on the cushion without having to worry about their heads falling off :snigger:

Moonshine

Tuesday, January 3rd 2012, 4:14pm

Thanks Taxi & Moonshine - all helpfull stuff.

Did you girls find anywhere where you can get cheap (cheaper) premature nappies? I thought Tesco was selling them but I look today and could not find any.

Do you think it is worth buying premature size clothes or shall I just get the newborne stuff? How quickly do they grow at that age?

MY DIARY

Reg: Sep 10th 2010

What's Up?
Tired but happy!

Tuesday, January 3rd 2012, 8:49pm

Oh bless you Sunnybee for asking what's been in my head!
And thank you Taxi and Moonshine for your replies.
Sunny if you're worrying at 23weeks imagine how behind I'm feeling at 31weeks!!! This coming week is shopping time for all that stuff and thank you I shall be taking a Moonshine shopping list with me!!
I'm also wondering about the size of nappies and clothes. At the moment the estimated weights are either side of 3lbs so not sure whether I should hold out or buy some babygrows but tiny sized.
Decisions decisions!
[zx102]

IUI Nov 09 BFN ..... 1st ICSI Oct 10 BFP m/c 8weeks ;( ..... 2nd ICSI June 11 [zx076] [zx076]
MY DIARY

Valentine's day twins 2012
And a surprise DS 27/1/15

Wednesday, January 4th 2012, 10:59am

Hi Sunny and Fuzzy Bees :D

I had a pack of micro nappies just in case they came early - if you buy a couple of packs they won't be wasted as even if you have a couple of 7lb'ers they will fit. Size 1's will be fine though so don't overbuy tiny ones unless you need to. I have it on good authority that Aldi and Lidl's own brands are good. Also take advantage of the Boots parenting club as you get trple points on all baby items you buy and they rack up really quickly bulk buying nappies for twins. In the early days, I don't think the brand matters too much as the babies don't move much. I found all brands to leak on occasion, it's just the nature of the poo!

As for clothes, I did have mine in tiny baby things for 3 or 4 weeks as newborn size drowned them!! (mine weighed 5lb1oz and 6lb7oz) I was given a huge bundle by some other twin parents. I recommend seeing if there is a twins club local to you as there will be plenty of people willing to pass stuff on and recommend things, Also check out the Netmums website and Freecycle for second had stuff too - they have local listings. There's always plenty of bundles of baby clothes going as they get through things so fast. I remember having to go through my two's clothes fortnightly to weed out outgrown things :8o:

Moonshine

mrsjasper

Megastar

Reg: Nov 2nd 2005

Children: 2 gorgeous girls

Wednesday, January 4th 2012, 11:51am

SunnyBee,
Check out Bells 'comprehensive' list of what you need in your hospital bag here Hospital Bag List

For twins, just double up on the baby items. Don't forget though that most supermarkets stock everything and are open 24 hours now so the only things you really need for the babies are nappies (and a lot of places will swap unopened packs if their weight surprises you), babygros and your boobs. Oh and a credit card!!!! Its sensible also to pack for maybe 3 nights and have another bag at home for another 3 nights that your partner can bring in if you end up staying longer. And nominate someone who can take your washing home and do it for you.

What's Up?
Tired but happy!

Friday, January 6th 2012, 11:38am

Thank you Moonshine and Mrs Jasper.
now one more question....
Advice on which changing bag to buy? most of the ones in the shop look fine for one baby but when you double everything that goes in there they don't seem to be big enough. I've looked on a couple of twin websites but they look kind of ugly, sorry need to have some style! Any advice on a practical and pretty twin change bag?
[zx102]

IUI Nov 09 BFN ..... 1st ICSI Oct 10 BFP m/c 8weeks ;( ..... 2nd ICSI June 11 [zx076] [zx076]
MY DIARY

Monday, January 9th 2012, 11:57am

Thanks girls all the info above has been very helpful and I have now started little bit of shopping for the twins blowkiss .

Fuzzy bee - I am not sure it this one qualifies as trendy / stylish but this is the one I have ordered = Skip Hop Double Duo Bag £79.99. It fits perfectly with our double pushchair. It has extra clips so it does not swing around too much hitting the back of the double pushchair. Looks spacious, lots of pockets, includes a changing mat ... BeSafe, Kiddy Car Seats | Baby Shop Hampshire | Anns Prams Petersfield=

MY DIARY

Reg: Jun 10th 2009

Children: Two perfect 3yr olds

Wednesday, January 11th 2012, 9:32pm

I agree with everything. All I took in were micro-nappies, and next size up (the hospital ones were awful). Wipes and cotton wool. LOTS of little babygrows and vests. Also hats, preferrably knitted wool ones as they are warmest as this really keeps them warm if they are a bit cold.

Depending on whether you are planning a section or natural birth I would highly recommend TENA lady pants, far more comfortable than maternity pads - unsure if they would be comfortable if you have a section scar though.

Due to coping with two toots, I dressed mine in babygrows only until they were 6mths old. It was far less stressful than organising outfits, plus I loved them looking like babies and not mini-me's!

Oh and one thing to put in your hospital bag is hand cream (probably Simple of E45) because you will be forever washing your hands and that makes the skin really really dry. Oh and a lip salve, because during labour your lips dry terribly and hospitals are so hot and dry.

Sure I will think of other things. But I was forever sending out DP to get things I forgot and more babygrows!

xxx

Jannie
Aug 09 - IUI - BFN
; Oct 09 - ICSI - BFN; Jan 10 - ICSI cancelled;
DICSI in Valencia Mar10 :BFP:
Jannie's Diary
Oscar and Emilia born 8th November 2010

Ros

Megastar

Reg: Mar 14th 2008

Children: twin girls thanks to PGD!

Thursday, January 12th 2012, 1:40pm

Congrats all you ladies expecting twins, I remember the excitement and want it all over again!

I saw that you mention micro nappies and wanted to add that unless your babies come VERY early then there is no need.
One of mine was 4lbs and I found that micro nappies didnt hold enough wee or poo so I was better off with using size 1's.
I ended up giving away the other packet.

Just as the others say - lots of little vests and sleepsuits (ones with have poppers up the front, the others are a faff) and a
couple of cardies each, plus a snowsuit if born in the cold months. I dressed mine in sleepsuits only until 9 months. Ignore all
the fancy baby clothes until they are a bit older, they are only babies once so nice to enjoy them that way. And much easier
for washing :)

Hospital bag essentials, a phone charger, cartons of juice for you, maternity nighties and a thin dressing gown or big cardie (its hot in
those places) and a camera!

Enjoy every second, even when youre tired, that time is so special x

After 5 years of endo surgery, clomid, 2 x MM/C, 2 x ICSI cycles and 1 PGD cycle,
beautiful twin girls born 8th Feb 2010, we are so grateful

United Kingdom

Reg: Dec 22nd 2008

Children: Beautiful twin daughters and two grown up stepdaughters

Thursday, January 12th 2012, 1:49pm

Take your own loo paper. The hospital stuff is rough and you will need softness!
Newly Wed

ICSI December 2008 - chemical pregnancy
ICSI May 2009 - BFN
FET September 2009 - BFP
Beautiful twin girls born 30 April 2010

Thursday, January 12th 2012, 4:30pm

Hi girls.
Thanks again for all your advise - it all has been noted - especially the toilet paper, as I have a very sensitive bottom :snigger:

Girls have any of you bought a nappy bin for your twins dirty nappies? Or do you just use normal bin? I was just thinking that with the number of nappies I probably will not want to run out of the house to put them in the outside bin all the time (especially at night) and putting them in the kitchen bin might not be very pleasant. Any tips on that? The one nappy bin I was looking at was Angelcare Nappy Disposal System Deluxe AC2100 . Has anybody used it - is it any good and is it really needed?

Also bottles & sterilisers? I would love to breasfeed if I can, but do you think I need to buy few bottle anyway just in case? And how crusial it is to have a steriliser? Also once you start bottle feeding - how many bottles do you need for twins?

Thanks xxx

MY DIARY

taxihome

United Kingdom

Thursday, January 12th 2012, 5:45pm

Sorry Hon, micro nappies £1.50 Asda
Xxx

[zx071]
2 x man boys -MC,Ectopic IVF x 4 Natural BFP/Born sleeping 22/WksRIP LO
Jan/11:ICSI:BFP: bab21 [zx115] Our dream has finally come true
MY DIARY

Monday, January 16th 2012, 9:34pm

Hi Sunnybee,

I did have a nappy bin which (I had tommee tippee sangenic, but I presume they're much of a muchness!). I have to say I loved mine, but the only downfall is that the cartridges are sooo much more expensive than normal nappy bags. For me it was easier, as my nappy changing station was in the upstairs bathroom and I didn't want to have smelly nappies hanging around if I couldn't get to the bin. When we were broke, we used normal nappy bags and the whiff was terrible, even if the nappies were left in the bin for just an hour :snigger: I would say they're not necessary it just depends on your budget and locations of bins! A cheap, lidded bin to put iin the bathroom may work just as well with cheap nappy bags.

I would see how your breast feeding goes - the hospital will provide the necessary equipment for feeding if you can't BF for whatever reason. If bottles look like they may be an option, then get soemone to pop to the supermarket and get a few. I've recently donated my old ones to another twin mummy in the same boat. You will definitley need a steriliser if you will be bottle feeding, again so much choice! I had a microwave one which I was perfectly happy with, any choice takes up so much space! The number of bottles depends on how much you like washing up... I had LOADS as I got a little carried away :snigger: I would say 8 will be enough, but you can always get more if you feel it necessary! As for teat sizes, size 1 or 2 are recommended for babies who are mixed fed as the flow is slower. I remember having a panic about when to move them up to the next size, but I found the faster flows caused more wind so we never got further than a size2!

As for changing bags, I got around very well with my Boots Parenting Club freebie - but I'm not big on style or spending money! For long days out I took my backpack!

The thing I've learned since my two came along, is that there's so much stuff and so much choice, but very little of it is actually necessary!

xx

Moonshine

What's Up?
Tired but happy!

Monday, January 16th 2012, 10:00pm

Hi all!
Thanks for all the advice and tips and somehow the closer it gets the scarier it seems!!! I think i just want to keep them in there forever because then I know where they are and they can't get into any trouble, I'm in denial!

I joined TAMBA finally, should have done it sooner to get my mothercare discount but nevermind. I found this link (not endorsed by FZ) on there so it might help Sunny.

http://www.twins-store.co.uk/WebRoot/Sto…020_Starter.pdf

Moonshine apparently they changed the Boots bag so it's smaller than it used to be, typical! I think we'll be getting the Tommee tippee nappy disposal, and will just stockpile the cassettes for it, cos there's going to be a lot of nappies! But it does look like they're much of a muchness.
I'm still not packed! But I now at least have everything I need in the house, just need to put it in the one bag, oh except at my antenatal class last week they said bring as little as possible! So no suitcase for me!

Thanks again for all the advice, it really is helpful!
[zx102]

MY DIARY

Wednesday, January 18th 2012, 8:05am

Just ignore your antenatal advice regarding packing, they're focussing on single babies. You are going to need a lot! Of course, if you're going to be having daily visitors then you won't need to take loads of babygrows and stuff. My DH was still working the week I was in hospital and the snow was so thick on the ground that visitors (or staff!) couldn't get in - so I was quite grateful for all my stuff!!

Get your BAG PACKED Mrs :snigger: and keep it by your door, believe me you will be thankful for it when you need it!! xx

Moonshine