You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Lisa Lou

• "Lisa Lou" started this thread

Reg: Nov 1st 2008

Children: 2 gorgeous little Boys - our miracles!

What's Up?
I have the most gorgeous boys on the planet! x

Friday, September 9th 2011, 10:56am

NHS tests for Strep B

Hi Girls

Looking for some advise on testig for Strep B.

After discussing my concerns and worries re Strep B with my midwife she kindly agreed to give me a vaginal swab to test myself for the infection.
My results came back negative yesterday and she has agreed to test me again at 36 weeks for my own peace of mind, however I'm sure I've heard somewhere that the NhS tests are far from accurate and in many cases fail to show a positive result for the infection!

This leaves me worried and considering doing a test privately online to be double sure, does anyone have any experience of this or advise? Any info would be greatly appreciated

Love to you all, Lisa x

Lisa Lou
babydust

ME: 30, PCOS
DH: 32, Low Count

1st ICSI: BFP miscarriage @ 9 weeks
2 natural BFP both lost @ 8 weeks

March 11 FET: Beautiful BFP!! Baby Jayden arrived safe and sound on 29/12/2011, he is perfect!!
December 2012 shock natural BFP!! Baby Shay arrived quickly on 28/07/2013, he is gorgeous!!

Rachael*

United Kingdom

Reg: Sep 22nd 2010

Children: Two boys & One girl :)

What's Up?
Please let this FET cycle work :pray:

Friday, September 9th 2011, 1:40pm

Hi Lisa Lou
I had strep B with my last baby, my MW has told me she will swab me when im 36weeks. Didnt know the NHS tests werent very accurarte? Think i will test privately as well then.
Ive also been told if i test postive i will need two lots of antibotics in labor, have you also been told the same thing?
R xx

Lisa Lou

What's Up?

Friday, September 9th 2011, 2:04pm

Hi Rachel, thanks for replying hun.. I can't remember for the life of me where I heard that the NhS tests weren't up to standard however after doing lots of Internet research it seems alot of women are going private for this test but I can't seem to see any recommended companies to do it with?

Yes I was told te same, if I am positive for the infection then will need antibiotics during labour! It's such a worry and has been playing on my mind quite abit.. America test every pregnant woman as standard and don't underhand why the UK, seem to only do it if you ask!

Do u mind me asking if it effected your last baby at all? I hope he/she was ok?

Xx

Lisa Lou
babydust

March 11 FET: Beautiful BFP!! Baby Jayden arrived safe and sound on 29/12/2011, he is perfect!!
December 2012 shock natural BFP!! Baby Shay arrived quickly on 28/07/2013, he is gorgeous!!

Rachael*

United Kingdom

Reg: Sep 22nd 2010

Children: Two boys & One girl :)

What's Up?
Please let this FET cycle work :pray:

Sunday, September 11th 2011, 10:08am

Sorry for the very late reply

What happened was i gave birth to my baby, went home the next day & everything seemed fine but on day 3 i got a phone call from a MW at the hospital saying i had tested postive to StrepB !! I had no idea what it was & rushed back into hospital & stayed there for three days with baby, all they did was put a canular in baby, just incase they had to give him antibotics - which they never did.
He is now eight years old & fine.
Im thinking of doing a private test & still letting my MW test me aswell. So i can compare the results.
Im preparing myself that i will have it again & would think it would be very strange if i didnt - does that make sense?

I know StrepB is quite common but i really wouldnt worry about having it. Is this your first baby?
xx

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Sunday, September 11th 2011, 10:55am

Hi, i was going to merge this with an older thread (to keep all the info together) but will leave it here as you question seems pertinent to the second trimester. The other thread is here....

Group B Strep

Lisa Lou

What's Up?

Sunday, September 11th 2011, 12:14pm

Hi Rachel, Yes this is my first baby, I know I shouldn't really be worrying as much as I am just can't seem to stop myself thinking that something is gonna go wrong and ruin this for me and DH, probably cause ive had 3 m/c's in the past. That's why I wanna make sure I do all I can to cover myself where this is concerned.
I'm so pleased to hear your lil boy was ok and unaffected, must have been a real worry for you .. And this time you can be prepared and be looked after properly during labour.
If you come across a highly recommended private clinc that does the test, can you let me know and I'll do the same.

Thanks again hunni xx

Lisa Lou
babydust

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Sunday, September 11th 2011, 4:16pm

You can find more information on testing and how to get tested here...

GBSS - Group B Strep Support