You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Rii

Star

• "Rii" started this thread

Reg: Mar 2nd 2010

Children: Blessed with two miracles December 2011

Friday, August 12th 2011, 11:06am

Are Twins always born via C-Section???

Hi ladies,

Not sure where to post this but i need some advice. I have seen two docs and both have advised me to do a C-section! They have said that i should not even consider a "natural" birth, which is something i really wanted. But they told me the risk of complications is much higher with twins and something can go wrong with the second twin on his/her way out.

What are the deciding factors for c-sections vs. natural delivery with twins???

Any advice would be appreciated...

Thanx...xoxo
ICSI 1-April 2010 BFN
ICSI 2-July 2010 BFN
ICSI 3-January 2011 Immune Cycle- BFN (Humira, LIT, Intralipids, IVIG, Clexane, Progesterone & Steroids)
ICSI 4- April 2011 Immune Cycle - Blessed with a :BFP:

Mr C

United Kingdom

Reg: Sep 30th 2008

Children: Blessed with NonId Twin Girls!

Friday, August 12th 2011, 12:49pm

Mrs C chose to have a C-Section, but she was offered the choice.
Our Diary
ISCI 1 - Mar/Apr 2009 - :BFN: ICSI 2 - Dec/Jan 2010 - :BFN: ISCI 3 - Mar/Apr 2010 - :BFP:
Our twin girls were born at 38 weeks on 21st December 2010. Feeling very blessed.

Reg: Nov 19th 2009

Children: TWIN GIRLS BORN 22/02/11

Friday, August 12th 2011, 12:59pm

Hi Rii,
I was all set for a natural delivery for my twins, and the hospital preferred that as Twin 1 was head down in position for a natural delivery. Twin 2 was above T1 and was hopefully ready to follow her sister out. however, after more than 18 hours in labour I hadn't dilated enough and was putting the girls at risk because I had so many drugs in my system, so was rushed for an emergency section. I would have totally preferred to go naturally as the recovery after a section is much more painful, and having to carry about twins every day was stressful.

Strange how your hosp has said about it bein too risky, there are plenty of twin mums on FZ who have delivered twins naturally with no setbacks.

Good luck with your pregnancy, bein a mum of twins is amazing!!!!!

Blue

United Kingdom

Reg: Sep 15th 2008

What's Up?
I need sleep!

Friday, August 12th 2011, 1:15pm

Hi Rii,
Take a look at this thread:
A poll for mamas of twinnies!
And the short answer is no, twins don't have to be born by c-section. Ask you consultant what tends to happen at your hospital, because different hospitals do vary. My hospital had a high c-section rate for all deliveries, partially because difficult pregnancies were referred there. So I felt it was more likely that I would have a c-section, and in the end I did choose to have one. But if I wanted a natural delivery, I would have known to insist and have a good plan. I'm sure it would have been possible if the babies had played ball with me.
Hope that helps!
Blue
xxx

My Diary
10 years, 5 cycles, and 3 beautiful children.
My family is complete :heart: :heart: :heart:

Blue

United Kingdom

What's Up?
I need sleep!

Friday, August 12th 2011, 1:17pm

P.s. What swayed my decision is that I was told that the first delivery is "normal". but the second delivery is never normal - it is impossible to be classed as normal because only one baby can be in the right place for labour. And so the risk of death to the second twin was always higher, and i was given the number of 1 in 270, which seemed incredibly high. Having said that my midwife has delivered many twins naturally and she was keen for me to try, and many of the mamas of my twins club also had their twins naturally. So it definitely can be done, and be done safely. But either way, be prepared and have a plan!

My Diary

Rii

Star

Saturday, August 13th 2011, 10:48am

Thank you guys for all your replies!

Blue: That is also what they told me the risk with second twin is too high and that scared me! I have not visited the hospital yet. I will be delivering in Canada so i don't know their protocol yet. But the stress of something going wrong with the second twin is enough to want a c section but also i know c section recovery is much slower.

How did you all feel with c-section after? Is recovery as bad as they say?

Thanx again,

xoxo
ICSI 1-April 2010 BFN
ICSI 2-July 2010 BFN
ICSI 3-January 2011 Immune Cycle- BFN (Humira, LIT, Intralipids, IVIG, Clexane, Progesterone & Steroids)

csam

Star

United Kingdom

Saturday, August 13th 2011, 1:09pm

Hi

Congrats on your PG.

I had my twins naturally, it was a very quick delivery and only time for about 10 mins gas and air! I was fortunate enough to have had a quick and straight forward delivery with my first PG, and with that knowledge and both babies being head down I wasn't offered a c-section. That said there wouldn't have been time anyway.

Good luck, keep an open mind. Certainly I recovered very quick but obv would have had a c-section if it had been necessary.

xxxx

Mr C

United Kingdom

Reg: Sep 30th 2008

Children: Blessed with NonId Twin Girls!

Saturday, August 13th 2011, 1:11pm

Rii,

You saw Mrs C a month after her C-Section in London, I think you'll agree she looked great! :thumbsup:

She would still recommend a C-Section I think, in fact, I'll nudge her to post here.

Mr C
Our Diary
ISCI 1 - Mar/Apr 2009 - :BFN: ICSI 2 - Dec/Jan 2010 - :BFN: ISCI 3 - Mar/Apr 2010 - :BFP:
Our twin girls were born at 38 weeks on 21st December 2010. Feeling very blessed.

Reg: Jun 10th 2009

Children: Two perfect 3yr olds

Saturday, August 13th 2011, 7:33pm

Hello Rii, I had a natural (with forceps) delivery of twins. I wanted a natural delivery and just trusted the midwife/docs on the delivery ward, such that if they thought something was not going well then would give me a c-section and I made it very clear I wanted to take no risks but preference was a natural delivery. My toots were 6lb4oz and 5lb4oz so not tiny twins, even though just born at just under 36wks, so they took a bit of pushing out, which is why in the end I needed forceps.

I would not recommend c-section or natural, purely because you have to do what is right for you and your babies, I just wanted you to know it is possible to delivery naturally.

xx

Jannie
Aug 09 - IUI - BFN
; Oct 09 - ICSI - BFN; Jan 10 - ICSI cancelled;
DICSI in Valencia Mar10 :BFP:
Jannie's Diary
Oscar and Emilia born 8th November 2010

Reg: Feb 10th 2009

Saturday, August 13th 2011, 10:22pm

Rii,

Mr C mentioned your question in this thread and therefore I thought I would come and see what you were looking for advice on.

So, up until 32 weeks, my girls were both breech and therefore, I was being directed towards a C-section. At 32 weeks, T1 had turned and was head down - I was still haeding for a c-section because of my fears about what would happen with T2. At 36 weeks, both twins were head down and I came across the first doctor who insisted that I should have the twins naturally (see our diary for the saga of that day! Post in Mr & Mrs C diary). As you can see from this post, I was incredibly upset by this doctor's attitude as up until then I had been told that the hosppital would be flexible about how I delivered the twins and because a natural birth had been a complete no-no up to 32 weeks, I had my heart set on a section. I went with my gut instinct though and fought for what I wanted.

I could not fault my experience at the hospital whilst having my section and I found the recovery to be smooth and quick. Dont get me wrong, this is a major procedure in medical terms and is not without some pain and discomfort, however, when you have 2 newborns to look after, you have to get up and moving quickly and the quicker you do get up and about, the quicker you recover.

Prior to the procedure you are given a prescription for codeine for pain relief once you come home from hospital. By day 4 I was on half dosage (whilst in the hospital) and by day 7 I had stopped taking them completely as any discomfort was completely manageable.

The first time you stand up and move, it is difficult and you will need help with showering and getting dressed but this was the only day that Mr C had to help me. By day 3 I was moving around on my own, was able to shower (standing up) alone and to take a short walk. By day 5, I was able to walk from the ward to car with ease and on day 7 I took my first walk with the buggy for a distance of about 3/4 of a mile to a mile.

Having heard the birthing stories of my NCT friend, having singletons, I am still incredibly glad that I had a section. I do not regret in any way not having the girls naturally. I simply wanted them here safely and without complications - that is what I got.

As I said before, I would not want to influence anyone on how they should or shouldn't have their baby but I truly believe you should keep an open mind and do what is best for you and your babies to ensure they arrive safely. There is a recovery period whatever way you have your baby, it really is a case of mind of matter in terms of how you deal with it.

Please do let me know if you have any other questions or concerns that I can help with.

Saturday, August 13th 2011, 11:09pm

I think it all depends on your circumstances Rii. I have a great friend who had identical twins and delivered naturally and with no problems, but another friend who had a c-section. I think, like Jannie says you have to make a decision based on what your Dr's/consulatants think is best for you and the babes. I am still so thrilled to be talking with you about the delivery of your much longed for little twins! xxxx

Reg: Jul 3rd 2008

Children: 2 beautiful twin daughters :)

Sunday, August 14th 2011, 9:34pm

Hi Rii,

My consultant gave me the choice of a natural birth or a c-section as long as twin one was head down. As it turned out, twin 1 was breech and twin 2 transverse so I was booked in for an elective c-section.

To be honest, I was quite relieved as the thought of labour terrified me beyond belief. The up side was that it was quick, simple, pain-free and I felt confident it was the best thing for me and both babies. The downside was the recovery and I was in hospital for 4 nights -but once home I was walking around doing chores (which I shouldn't have been!) and very grateful it wasn't as painful as my previous laperoscopy!

I would have loved to have been a bit more mobile sooner after the csection - but I definitely don't regret it - I'd quite happily choose a section again.

Good luck with whichever method you choose - just do what feels right and be guided by your instincts :hugs:

Moonshine

Reg: Dec 16th 2008

Children: No

Monday, August 15th 2011, 12:09pm

Hi my experiance was much the same as Moonshine's one baby breach and the other transverse I had my section at 38 weeks I went in on the Tuesday morning and I left at 1300 on Friday with my two babas. I was up and walking around that evening and by the time I was at home I was moving around well. my staples were tak out on the Saturday and back on my horse after my 6 week check.

Please don't let some horror stories scare you, you have to go along with what turns out to be the best for your babies. I have a friend who's twins boys were delivered naturally and no problems with delivery.

All I can advise is be prepared with your bags and essentials early and be relaxed about the whole thing, stress isn't any good for anyone and enjoy your pregancy :happy:

TTC 10 Years Finally got to ICSI No1 Jan 09 :BFN:
ICSI No 2 Aug 09 :BFP:
Two lovely little girls born by planned c-section 27/04/10 at 38 weeks
Isabelle 6lb 2oz bab10 & Amber 6lb 8oz bab10

Blue

United Kingdom

What's Up?
I need sleep!

Monday, August 15th 2011, 12:33pm

Is recovery as bad as they say?

No! The section itself was a bit surreal, but exciting and I was very relaxed.
And afterwards my scar area was numb. The next day, I was a little sore but I could still shuffle slowly to the bathroom and back. And the day after that, I could walk a bit quicker.

My Diary

Rii

Star

Monday, August 15th 2011, 7:57pm

Thank you all for your great advice! Will keep you all updated on what the hospital docs say!

xoxo
ICSI 1-April 2010 BFN
ICSI 2-July 2010 BFN

mea

Ace

Reg: Dec 8th 2008

Children: little boy from our first ICSI

Tuesday, August 16th 2011, 9:50pm

Hi
My consultant who is one of the top multiple birth experts in the country, and not long ago delivered the sextuplets in Oxford said that natural delivery is always best for singles or multiples unless there are other medical reasons.
My natural delivery was amazing an actually a lot easier than my singleton both were head down which helped, but he said that if twin two is breach they come out just as easy as head down! And I have since met several twin mums at a multiples group who delivered their twins naturally when they were breach as said it was no problem at all!!

Good luck with what ever you decide as at the end of the day it's your decision don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

[/table][/col]

AlexLA

Reg: Jun 3rd 2010

Children: My son, aged 5. Twins, 6 months.

Wednesday, August 17th 2011, 1:12pm

Hi

I was told i had a choice too and said i'd like to try for natural deliveries, although advised to have an epidural in case of complication with twin 2. Both mine were head down but i was told that after twin 1 pops out, sometimes twin 2 can turn or be awkward.

As it happened, twin 1 did indeed just 'pop' out at 32 weeks, very fast and with no time for an epidural. Complication did then arise with twin 2 and i had to have an emergency section for his, under general anaesthetic, so i missed his first moments.

I have to say, i specifically did not want surgery by choice, only what was in the best interests of their birth, but having had it, the recovery was not as bad as i thought it would be, the scar and healing was ok, and mobility was suprisingly good, once the staples were out. I would make the same decision again, but i think i had a good team of people around me at the hospital and they would not have let me try for natural if it were not right for my babies.

Alex :)

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE