You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "hayley564" started this thread
  • United Kingdom

Reg: Jul 2nd 2009

Children: Beautiful Jessica Mae x Holly and Elliot!

Friday, June 17th 2011, 6:27am

Breastfeeding Twins

Hi All,

I am doing a short project on breastfeeding twins (I am doing an Access to Midwifery Course at the moment) and wondered what peoples' thoughts were on this subject.

Anything will be a help.

Thanks.

Hayley
3 X ICSI
Jessica Mae Duffety born sleeping on 9 January 2011 (21+2) - TS and HLHS
Holly and Elliot Duffety born on 16 October 2011 (25+6)
Natural Surprise - Matthew Evan Duffety born sleeping on 11 October 2013 (15+5)

bubble

Megastar

United Kingdom

Friday, June 17th 2011, 1:31pm

Hi H

I assume you've seen all the threads about breastfeeding twins on here which are detailed at the bottom under 'similar threads?'

Friday, June 17th 2011, 4:31pm

Hi Hayley
I'll let you know in about 8 weeks time!! I plan to but let's see... I also plan to express so that OH or someone else can feed too. Breastfeeding's rammed down your throat a little here (not literally!) at my antenatal class the midwife said that babies need nothing, no bottles or dummies only breast - I thought that could make you feel awful if you can't for one reason or another...

Reg: Jul 3rd 2008

Children: 2 beautiful twin daughters :)

Saturday, June 18th 2011, 9:24pm

Hi Hayley,

I had no strong views either way on how to feed mine - but ended up taking to breast feeding quite well. (It is rammed down your throat here too - but they're on the whole a little more lenient with multiple mums).

Molly had trouble latching and so was cup fed formula for the first few days, whilst still practising bf. Georgie had no probs at all. However - they both lost 12% bodyweight after birth and so the midwives recommended bf and then topping up with formula after every feed. Not knowing any better I willingly agreed to this but looking back I think it was a totally impractical thing to do.

I obviously knew bf was the best thing to do for them, so I wanted to continue that. But then, I didn't want them to lose more weight and not to thrive, so I felt safe giving them a formula top-up. I had one boob that produced more milk than the other, so I had to make sure I swapped babies each feed.

I bf for 20 minutes, then formula fed 2-3oz. Practically, this meant I had to prepare formula, wash and sterilize the eqipment etc in preparation - and as it took a while to get set up for tandem feeding (balancing them on feeding pillows, making sure I was comfy/had tv remote nearby etc!) I needed to remember to have the formula at hand.

All in all, including 2 nappy changes (and invariably clothes changes/puke cleaning!) a feed used to take between 1.5 and 2 hours. My girls were on 2.5-3 hourly feed cycles until they were 6 months, so I would get an hours break inbetween feeds. I did begin to drop breastfeeds, especially in the night and late afternoon when I was napping (they were bottle fed by others, either expressed milk or formula). But then by dropping these feeds I was then expressing to keep up my supply. I couldn't have made life more difficult for myself!

It was horrendous!! Looking back objectively, I wish I had just abandoned physically bf and expressed at regular intervals. I would do that next time as I found (rather selfishly) that my quality of life was non-existent. I physically bf until the girls were 10 weeks, by that time Molly went into a hip brace and was too awkward to hold, and G's head was heavy and I was developing tendonitis in my wrists. I expressed milk for them until 4 months when my supply naturally dwindled - to be honest it was a relief.

I think maybe if I'd have totally bf them, instead of topping up regardless of weightloss life would have been easier (but I'd have felt too guilty). If I'd have fed them one at a time instead of tandem feeding, that would've made a difference (but, who do you go to first if they're both screaming?!) or I could have just formula fed and be done with it - but my conscience wouldn't have allowed it, knowing we all took to bf so well.

Between hormones, guilt and sheer ignorence as a first time mum this was my situation!

Moonshine

RosB

Ace

Reg: Sep 23rd 2009

Children: Twin boys conceived on 3rd ICSI attempt

Friday, June 24th 2011, 9:20am

Hi Hayley

I have breastfed my twins who are now 8.5 months old. I just gave up BF two weeks ago. My experience of BFing is mostly positive and I truly believe with twins that whatever is easier and makes your life easier is the best option!! For me BFing proved to be the easy option. We did have a few glitches to begin with - one of my LOs was in neo natal and wouldn't feed at all, he was very sleepy. So my other LO had to get the BFing going for both of them. He did pretty well but wouldn't latch onto my left breast at all so I had to express that one. When my other LO woke up and decided to take an interest in the breast he wouldn't take the left breast either so I started off feeding them both from the right and expressing the left. Nightmare! Not something I could sustain for long - anyway after about 2 weeks eventually one of them took the right breast and things became easier. I ended up allocating one boob to each of them. One thing I didn't realise was how long the whole process takes - I tandem fed them from the beginning as I don't think I would have managed otherwise - even so a feed would take well over an hour and when you are doing it at least 8 times a day it doesn't leave you much time for anything else, including sleep!! I felt like my job in the early days was a milk machine. I did introduce a bottle feed quite early on just to give me a break and let me go to bed early - so they had 7 breastfeeds and 1 bottle feed which DH did. Things did gradually get a lot easier and in the end a feed only took 10 minutes or so. The benefits of BFing for me (apart from all of the health benefits for them and me) were that it was quicker and easier than bottle feeding as I was able to tandem feed them, it was easy when you are out and about (eg on holiday) as there is no fuss with bottles etc, it is cheaper (I can't believe how expensive formula is now that I have switched!). BFing has been a really positive experience for me and the boys but I felt that the time was right to stop a couple of weeks ago - I go back to work in a couple of weeks and I wanted them to be fully on the bottle by then. I also believe that the babies will tell you when the time is right for a change - one of my boys suddenly showed no interest in the boob and cried for his bottle so that was it, the end.

Friday, June 24th 2011, 9:34am

Hi quick question - I am planning to express so that some of the feeds can be done by OH, I have a medela freestyle pump but have no idea what bottles / teats to use?
Any thoughts? Thanks
Nat x

RosB

Ace

Reg: Sep 23rd 2009

Children: Twin boys conceived on 3rd ICSI attempt

Friday, June 24th 2011, 9:53am

Hi Nat - I had the medela freestyle pump too, just sold it. It is such a great pump, just as efficient as the pumps in hospital. Anyway you need to use the medela bottles that screw onto the breast shields. I think you get some with the pump but I also managed to nab a few from the hospital as they use medela pumps and the same bottles. I have loads spare, if you would like me to send you some then just send me a PM and we can arrange. x

Friday, June 24th 2011, 10:12am

Wow thanks Ros - great to hear that the pump works well - will PM you about the bottles!