You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "scoffs" started this thread

Reg: Jun 12th 2009

Wednesday, March 30th 2011, 6:49pm

ECV or c section?

My baby is breech and the hospital have offered an ecv or just go straight to a c section. They say ecv works about half of the time. I'm not over keen on it as I don't think it will work BUT don't really want a c section either.

Just wondered if anyone had any experiences of ecv and whether it worked.

Thanks
Sxx
Balanced translocation (me), 4 x miscarriages, PDG Jan 10 - BFN (no normal embryos), Aug 10 DE IVF - USA, very cautious BFP :)

Rene

Lone wolf

South Africa

Reg: Oct 3rd 2005

Children: one gorgeous boy

What's Up?
I have PMA
I'm Positive that
I am Mental
and I know I have Attitude

Wednesday, March 30th 2011, 7:11pm

Hi, Scoffs
I have no personal experience of ECV but a very good friend of mine decided to go for ECV as she was adamant that she did not want a c-section as she had had a normal birth previously. She then needed induction which failed and ended up having an emergency c-section which was not pleasant at all. Turns out there was a reason baba refused to turn head down of her own accord - her head was to big (although not abnormally so) for my friend's pelvis.

A planned c-section is much more controlled and you get to "enjoy" the birth of your little one and, while recovery takes a while, you will be up and about pretty quickly - I was up less than 24 hours after delivery.

In the end though this a decision each person will need to make for herself.
Good luck with whatever you decide...

PCOS, hypothyroid - on thyroxine, aspirin and Met
Lap/Ovarian Drilling Oct 2005
DIUI X5 + 2 abandoned cycles (total 7 cycles)
:BFP: 22 March 2006 - Connor Born 24 November 2006 - unplanned c-section
At 3 and a half C finally gave up the boob!

United Kingdom

Reg: Sep 24th 2006

Children: Three gorgeous daughters!

Wednesday, March 30th 2011, 8:27pm

Hi Scoffs

Can I ask how many weeks pregnant you are?

My DD2 was breech up until 36 weeks, I was due to be induced between 37-38 weeks so time was a factor. If you're not too far gone there may be things you can try to help turn your baby naturally.

xxx

Angel baby April 07, Angel baby December 07, DD1 August 09, DD2 March 11, DD3 October 13

Kitty

Superstar

United Kingdom

Reg: Sep 4th 2008

Children: One little boy, thanks to IVF

Wednesday, March 30th 2011, 9:51pm

I don't have any experience of this but have you looked into moxibustion at all? It's supposed to have an amazing success rate and I even understand some hospitals do it as a matter of course, though I have no idea how or why it works - the mind boggles, really!

I found this link - not endorsed by FZ at all - which outlines the process. http://www.londonacupuncture.co.uk/showC…asp?ArticleID=4

Might be worth thinking about if you're not too close to your due date? I guess, nothing ventured and all that? Mind you, as Polly Pocket says, you might have time on your side anyway - here's hoping your baby decides to turn by itself!

Thursday, March 31st 2011, 9:39am

I am just about to turn 36 weeks - the ECV is booked for tuesday. I also have pregnancy hypertension which so far is not playing ball by staying normal with medication so that's a time factor for me as they are very concerned about PE. I really didn't need the extra hassle of her not being the right way up. I don't know why I don't think it will work but I just have a very bad feeling about it. My bump is very compact and does not stick out very much yet my baby is big (scan yesterday almost 7lbs and her head and tummy are way up in the 97th percentile) I just think there is nothing to grab and turn but I guess they know what they are doing, plus I feel she is really jammed in my ribs and has been for the last 6 weeks or so. I'm starting to think that a planned, calm c section might just be the best way forward, but I'm worried about that too.

I had accupuncture when we were trying ivf so i'm gonna call her and see if she can get Beanie to turn aslo. Any postivite ECV stories or thoughts would be great.

Thanks as always girls!!
Balanced translocation (me), 4 x miscarriages, PDG Jan 10 - BFN (no normal embryos), Aug 10 DE IVF - USA, very cautious BFP :)

United Kingdom

Thursday, March 31st 2011, 2:08pm

Aww you poor thing. :sadface: I was scared at the thought of a c-section, not for the op itself but the recovery and having a newborn and a toddler to look after with no family living near by to help out.

I was going to suggest the same as Kitty and suggest you look into moxibustion. There is also getting down on all fours and putting your chest on the floor with your bum in the air for 15 minutes every two hours of your waking day.

I really hope that your baby turns on it's own. xfingers

xxx

Angel baby April 07, Angel baby December 07, DD1 August 09, DD2 March 11, DD3 October 13

Pootle

Megastar

Reg: Mar 31st 2007

Children: 2 beautiful girls.

Saturday, April 2nd 2011, 9:21pm

Hi Scoffs. I really hope your baby turns on her own, or that the ECV does the trick, or the acupuncture. However, I just wanted to say that I've had 2 caesareans - one emergency and one planned and although the thought of it is scary, like PP says, it's not so bad and the recovery wasn't as long either time as I had worried about. The main thing is that your lovely baby arrives safe and well so if you find that you need to go down the c-section route, keep that in your mind and repeat it over and over (I did!).

Good luck.

x

My family is complete...I am grateful every day

DD1, natural miracle, 2005
DD2, IVF miracle, 2008

Monday, April 4th 2011, 11:39am

Aw thanks ladies. I will see what they say tomorrow. Just want her here safe and sound now. :-)

United Kingdom

Monday, April 4th 2011, 5:01pm

Good luck for tomorrow! xfingers

xxx

Wednesday, April 6th 2011, 7:57am

She turned :-)

Hiya

Well I went to the clinic yesterday and initially I was dead set against them turning her. But they were so nice I thought I'd have nothing to lose by letting them have a go. So after much fighting with my stomach muscles she turned. So happy :-) nut they made me stay in overnight as currently the cord and 'other stuff' is in the way of her truly being head down. Hopefully that will have shifted this am - apparently it is very rare for it not to move overnight. I really hope it does otherwise I feel like I'm in a worse situ than when she was just plain breech.

S xx

BraveGirl

Superstar

• "BraveGirl" is no longer a member of FZ

Reg: Feb 15th 2008

Children: One on the way.

Wednesday, April 6th 2011, 8:24am

great news scoffs. I hope bubba stays head down now! x
IVF 1 :BFP: baby5 in heaven 6 weeks
IVF 5 :BFP: Immune protocol Care Sheffield
Oscar Miles arrived 15 April 2011 weighing 6lbs 14oz
My Diary

Wednesday, April 6th 2011, 3:46pm

So happy she's head down and all is good. Ecv not as bad as I thought and far far better than a section. I would encourage anyone to give it a go.

Bring on a normal birth now please :-)

United Kingdom

Wednesday, April 6th 2011, 8:50pm

That's fantastic news :thumbsup: I am so pleased it wasn't as bad as you thought.

I really hope you now get the birth you want.

xxx