You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "Geordie" started this thread

Reg: May 12th 2007

Thursday, January 13th 2011, 8:38pm

Decline in Growth rate for Twins at 32wks

Hi

I just had my 32wk scan today for the twins and their growth rate has declined since my last scan. They want me back in at 34wks to check on them again. They said its nothing to worry about but they're only 3 and a half pounds and should be about 4 pounds. They said they're just small babies and have dropped off to the lower end of the growth chart rather than increasing upwards but I can't help but feel a little concerned. I did have the dreaded Novo-Virus over christmas and was really ill and lost some body weight. Just wondering how everyone else was getting on with their growth scans and does anyone else have similar problem?

Many thanks!!

IUI-Mar07 / IVF-Jul07 / FET-Jan08 / IVF-May09 - ALL BFN
IVF-Jun10 - :BFP:

BraveGirl

Superstar

• "BraveGirl" is no longer a member of FZ

Reg: Feb 15th 2008

Children: One on the way.

Thursday, January 13th 2011, 8:45pm

I had a scan at 26 weeks and then the first growth scan yesterday at 28 weeks. I have to go back at 32 weeks for the next one. BB had increased as he should so I am afraid I cant comment. Of course though we will have to see how he is doing at 32 weeks, and I have a singleton.

Did they look at placenta function?
IVF 1 :BFP: baby5 in heaven 6 weeks
IVF 5 :BFP: Immune protocol Care Sheffield
Oscar Miles arrived 15 April 2011 weighing 6lbs 14oz
My Diary

elaine43

Reg: Aug 10th 2010

Thursday, January 13th 2011, 8:47pm

Hi Geordie,
try not to worry..........(easier said than done i know).............i have twin girls, and im also a midwife, and have seen this often with twin pregnancies. See what happens after the 34 week check up, it may be all back to normal again. Be assured that the medical team are not too converned, and are leaving it until 34 weeks. Could very well be the fact that you have been very unwell also.
Take care,

El............xxxx

Reg: Jul 3rd 2008

Children: 2 beautiful twin daughters :)

Thursday, January 13th 2011, 9:18pm

Hi Geordie,

This happened to one of my twins, her growth started to decline at around 32 weeks so we had fortnightly scans including placenta checks and heart rate monitoring. It turned out she was still growing and showed a slight increase each time, but just not as much as was expected. Due to the fact she was still growing and everything else seemed to be fine they kept us going until 37+4 which I was relieved about. She was born a healthy 5lb1oz in the end!

It's all precaution, try not to worry as it's completely out of your control! Just carry on looking after yourself and your bubs will benefit :)

:xxx3:

Moonshine

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Thursday, January 13th 2011, 10:26pm

Ho Geordie

If I had a quid for the amount of ladies who have come through these boards with the same worries as you, whether about singletons or twins, I'd have enough for a really nice pair of shoes.

Growth and weight scans are notoriously unreliable. They are measuring points through layers of skin, fat and fluid. Plotting two points on rounded moving parts and comparing them to a national average for babies. Taking into account that not every woman is 5ft 6", weighs 10 stone, is carrying the child of a medium built 6ft man and not every baby will be 7lbs 6oz.... there's a lot of room for scope either side of 'normal' or 'average'.

Your poorliness over Christmas isn't likely to have affected your babies growth, they leech as much from you as they can... so while you were feeling rotten they were certainly perfectly well nourished and happy.

There are plenty of bouncing 5lb full term singletons and plenty of early 7lb twins. Being outside the average doesn't necessarily mean anything bad, your babies are being well monitored, your health care professionals aren't worried and 3.5lbs is a bloody good weight for 32 weeks. Try not to worry too much x

gemmab

FORUM MENTOR

Reg: Feb 8th 2008

Children: 2 miracle icsi boys and 2 step kids.

What's Up?
Getting ready for another egg donation!!!

Thursday, January 13th 2011, 10:34pm

Just to say I wasn't ahving twins but did have growth scans. All the way along they said I was having a baby over 10lbs and he came out 7lb 2 ozs- I actually asked the mw where the rest of him was!!!

Only telling you this because its not an exact science and to try and put your mind at ease just a little.x

Flic

Italy Poland

Reg: May 8th 2008

Children: Had my first daughter on 25th February 2010!

What's Up?
Stressed.

Friday, January 14th 2011, 9:32am

There are plenty of bouncing 5lb full term singletons and plenty of early 7lb twins. Being outside the average doesn't necessarily mean anything bad, your babies are being well monitored, your health care professionals aren't worried and 3.5lbs is a bloody good weight for 32 weeks. Try not to worry too much x

Just to agree with Bells really!!

My friend had her first singleton baby and he was 4lb 12oz at full term and is totally normal and fine. So it doesn't necessarily mean anything bad at all chick.

Our miracle was born on 25.02.2010!!

Friday, January 14th 2011, 6:03pm

Thanks guys, despite a bad pregnancy the twins have progressed really well up until this point. They've monitored them on the head and abdominal circumferance and crown to rump. Placental blood flow was fine and amniotic fluid is fine. I am a small build myself and am 5ft 4" and was only 7 and a half stone at the beginning of the pregnancy so never expected them to be big and only 9st 4lb now at 32wks. My fundus was 36cm at my 31wk midwife appt so thats not bad. As long as they're healthy I'll be happy. I'm going to make a conscious effort to snack more and to rest more. I've been running around like a headless chicken this last fortnight as I've had so many medical appointments lately so gonna put my feet up and take it easy!!!

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Friday, January 14th 2011, 6:49pm

I am a small build myself and am 5ft 4" and was only 7 and a half stone at the beginning of the pregnancy

Ahhhhh here's your explanation! Why on earth medical professionals scare the pants off ladies about the sizes of their babies when they're standing in front of you and can see that you're clearly tiny ... well..... I will never understand.

You're obviously of very slight build and have two perfectly proportioned babies 'for you'. If you were expecting two ten pounders then we'd be worried!

United Kingdom

Reg: Nov 22nd 2008

Children: 2 Beautiful Babies. One of Each!

Friday, January 14th 2011, 7:08pm

Firstly congratulations on your twin pregnancy and for getting to 32 weeks already.
My lilttle man had growth concerns at about 24 weeks. I just had weekly scans, there was a worrying point when his head was growing but the rest of him wasn't. something to do with not getting enough nutrician through the placenta so the brain absorbs all the goodness leaving nothing for babies body.
However at 28+6 weeks at the scan it was noticed that my Prince had indeed grown and My Princess had stopped. It seems that she stopped growing to allow him to grow!! Twins looking out for each other before even being born.
I ended up having my two the following day at 29 weeks exactly. Not writing this to scare you as this was all due to pre ecclampsia! All i am saying is they let me go 4 weeks having thorough growth scans and they are letting you go 2 weeks without one so that is positive. My twos bloodflow through placenta was also comprimised which yours is not so that is all good.
And you are a tiny frame and a tiny person so your babies are going to be on the smaller size.
Congratulations again and try not to worry although that i know is far easier said then done. Just keep them both cooking a little longer xx
bab15 bab16 Sa-Leanne xx

Flic

Italy Poland

Reg: May 8th 2008

Children: Had my first daughter on 25th February 2010!

What's Up?
Stressed.

Friday, January 14th 2011, 8:15pm

Ditto what Bells has said!!!

My friend who had the 4lber is less that 5' and is tiny.

Its no wonder you're babies are small, if they were huge then I'd be worried!!!

Our miracle was born on 25.02.2010!!

Saturday, January 15th 2011, 6:19pm

Thanks again Ladies!!!

Sa-Leanne, I can't imagine how worrying a time it must have been for you and its comforting to see how old your little ones are now on your ticker.

Counting the days now rather than weeks and still can't believe we're nearly there and we'll finally get to meet our little babies bab15 bab16

Ros

Megastar

Reg: Mar 14th 2008

Children: twin girls thanks to PGD!

Monday, January 17th 2011, 7:56am

Hi Geordie, my twins weighed small throughout my whole pregnancy but then at 32 weeks one of them started slowing down lots. When I had my 35 week scan one had stopped growing completely so they decided that my pregnancy had run it's course and told me that the babies would be coming out the next week. The babies were 4lbs3oz and 5lbs8oz at 36 weeks and prefectly healthy - so try not to worry hun, so long as you are having checks then they will be fine. And because you are so petite yourself that will be why yours are small. All the best x

After 5 years of endo surgery, clomid, 2 x MM/C, 2 x ICSI cycles and 1 PGD cycle,
beautiful twin girls born 8th Feb 2010, we are so grateful

Eli

Ace

Reg: Oct 6th 2008

Children: 2 Girls

Tuesday, January 18th 2011, 8:35am

Hi Geordy,
I know it is hard but try not to worry too much. First Scans are not always accurate and if there is one thing good about the NHS is that if you really have a serious problem they will take care of you straight away, and if they let you go for 2 weeks until the next scan it is reassuring that it is not a serious mater(urgent). I had a scan at 35 weeks, T1 only grew a tiny bit since my last scan 3 weeks before and T2 grew significantly more, but the blood flow was good and everything else was good. The doctors tried to reassure me that it will be fine and they will scan me again in a week time to check on things. Well I freaked out, and my friend ‘Google’ did not help, there were more than 25% difference between the weight of T1 and T2 so I booked an appointment for a private Clinic to do a scan that same day, and I had a consultation with a private Doctor (Harley Street) and he confirmed that by his scan, yes there were 25% difference in the weight and if I was his patient he would deliver the girls in the next few days. Well you can imagine the state I was in when I left his office. I then got back to my hospital and I DEMANDED to be seen by the Head of Maternity unit (which happened to be my consultant) She scanned me again (Bless her) and by her scan the difference between the weight was no more than 12%. After a long conversation 3 scans and a tone od stres I was happy to go home and wait for my c-section at 37+2 when the girls were delivered perfectly healthy at 6.4 and 5.9 pounds.
So what I am trying to say is if blood flow is good and they assured you it will be ok to go another 2 weeks please please do not worry as it is not good for you, and you will be surprised how much they have grown in 2 weeks on your next scan.
All the best :cuddle
Me 32, DH 34

Tuesday, January 18th 2011, 3:27pm

They said they'd have me back in 2wks as their growth would not be significant enough to measure in 1 wk. I only have another week and a bit to wait now in anycase and after giving it some thought I'm going to speak to them about an elective Cesarian. I doubt the babies will move right way up in anycase and I don't want to run the risk of any complications through an induction and then miss out on the birth due to an emergency C-Section and the potential of being knocked out completely. I'll also find out whether they're going to give me an IV Iron infusion as my Haemaglobin has been seriously low throughout and they said they would wait until about 34wks to give me one if they felt it was neccesary. I hope they go with it. All I do is sleep now, I'm so tired. I don't know how I'm going to get through the next few weeks. My parents were due to come down and be with me but my dad has been very ill so I only hope he's better by the time the twins decide to make an appearence. So I'm here on my tod most days until DH gets in from work and I feel guilty cause I just can't do a thing at the moment. I just sit on the sofa or lie on the bed or soak in the bath, I'm even too tired to hold a conversation at times. It sucks. Not much longer I keep telling myself. Hopefully I'll have more answers next Thursday at my scan.

Eli

Ace

Wednesday, January 19th 2011, 2:52pm

Are you taking Iron tablets now, I believe it is very important to take it and make sure it is with orange juice or water, NO milk. If you are not it is a good idea if you start taking these straight away even if it is for 2-3 weeks ( and I hope it is more like 4-5 weeks) it will make a lot of difference.(it did for me).
Me 32, DH 34

Wednesday, January 19th 2011, 6:25pm

Hi Eli

I can not take Oral Iron, I have tried every form/preparation available to man and I am physically ill with it as I have a chronic gastric reflux condition. They have let me battle through my whole pregnancy without any alternatives despite begging for an infusion. They said they wouldn't chance an infusion until atleast 34wks. I hope my appt next week brings some good news if not I'm going to kick off big time and refuse to leave until they agree to give me one. Fingers crossed !!!!

Eli

Ace

Thursday, January 20th 2011, 1:11pm

Oh Geordie, I am sorry you have to go through this, but you are right you have to put your foot down and they have to do something to get you better. I hope everything goes well with your scan only few days left. I will have everything crossed for you . :pray:
Me 32, DH 34

Friday, January 21st 2011, 1:55pm

Well we ended up in the Delivery Suite at the local hospital last night. 4 weeks of the trots, low albumin (protein) in blood, protein in urine, raised BP and swelling of the face and legs. Thanks goodness I'd just packed my bag but fortunately didn't need it. They monitored the babies (thats once they bleeped the registrar to scan me as they could only find one heartbeat) and babies are fine. Its just my body thats falling apart. They're going to review me again at next weeks scan. Medical answer to all my problems, the usual, "nothing we can do, its the stress of carrying twins and you being so small and all", Aaargghhh. So I'll just lie here for the next four and half weeks feeling like poo and blown up like a puffer fish, and cr@ping out everything I eat every day because its because I'm having twins. Anyone else getting same old same old excuse??????????

United Kingdom

Friday, January 21st 2011, 9:33pm

Sorry you are going through such a tough time, hold on you are so near the finish line, your precious twins will be worth all this when they arrive, Thanking of you. xx
bab15 bab16 Sa-Leanne xx

Eli

Ace

Wednesday, January 26th 2011, 2:29pm

Hi Gordie,
hope you are ok, as much as you can.I just wanted to say Good luck with the scan tomorrow.
Me 32, DH 34

Reg: Mar 9th 2008

Children: Otis and Ava, July 2010 following successful FERC

Saturday, January 29th 2011, 7:54pm

Geordie so sorry you feel so bad. I felt really rubbish the last couple of weeks not sleeping, blown up feet, all over itching. It totally feels like a cop out when they say oh it's the stress of carrying twins. Have you tried eating dark chocolate? I'm sure you have but if not it's meant to be a natural source of iron. I just liked the excuse of being able to eat chocolate.

Pushoz

Sunday, February 6th 2011, 7:51pm

Hi All,

I didn't make my 34wk scan as I was admitted with pre-eclampsia and scanned and they had not shown any further growth development so they kept me in for a few days to get steroids into me to develop their lungs and then whipped them out on the 27th Jan. Wow, what can happen in a short space of time :-) Both babies now 11 days old and doing fab in Neonatal! Now proud mammy to Emilia and Taylor!! : D : D

19verve

United Kingdom

Sunday, February 6th 2011, 8:06pm

Congratulations and what lovely names x

Eli

Ace

Monday, February 7th 2011, 3:22pm

:flowerbasket: I am glad they are doing well, hope they get to go home soon. :congrats:
Me 32, DH 34

United Kingdom

Monday, February 7th 2011, 7:48pm

Congratulations xx
bab15 bab16 Sa-Leanne xx

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE