You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "bonnie" started this thread
  • United Kingdom

Reg: Dec 30th 2008

Children: none yet

Thursday, December 23rd 2010, 12:25pm

UTI treatment in 1st trimester - Trimethoprim???

HI ladies,

I'm 7w2d and got a UTI. The pain started yesterday so I went o my GP today. She prescribed Trimethoprim as a safe pregnancy antibiotic (she was googling for NICE recommendations). When I go home and read the instructions it said that it should not be used in pregnancy. I also googled and found it should definitely not be used in 1st trimester as it inhibits folic acid metabolism and has been suspected of inducing birth defects. :headache

I'm probably going to call back and make sure it's safe but has anyone had this antibiotic prescribed in the 1st trimester?

My Diary

1# ICSI: Jan 2009 (Create): :BFN:
2# ICSI: March 2010 (Wessex): :BFP: - early loss
3# ICSI: Nov 2010 (ARGC): :BFP:
6 & 7 wk scan :heart: :heart: seen
8,9,10 wk scan :heart: seen
Immune issues

Gaga

Ace

Thursday, December 23rd 2010, 12:48pm

Hi Bonnie

I am a biomedical Scientist in a Microbiology laboratory and we would definetely not recommend Trimethoprim for pregnant women.

I am shocked that your GP would prescribe you this antibiotic when there are safe alternatives.

I would phone back and also ask her to culture your urine to make sure the antibiotic you get will work properly. Has she done this already?

xxx

Natural :BFP: 2002, Born asleep 32 wks
TTC again 5 years
1st ICSI Oct/Nov 2010 :BFP: m/c 8 wks
2nd ICSI Nov/Dec 2011 - transfer cancelled - 11 ice babies
FET May 2012 :BFP:
7/6/12 [zx076] [zx076] :cheese:
25/6/12 [zx076] [zx076] seen again! So happy!!!
08/08/12 :boy: :boy: It's two boys!!! Yaaaay!
24/12/12 2 healthy boys born!! Best Christmas ever!!!
18/07/13 SHOCK NATURAL BFP :-)

• United Kingdom

Thursday, December 23rd 2010, 12:59pm

HI Stephanie,

Thank you so much for the advice :thanx: . I called back and was told that it's safe for a short treatment and all pregnant ladies are prescribed this one. The sample was sent off but won't get the results till next week. I'm going to call my fertility clinic next. Perhaps I should drink lots of cranberry juice and hope it clears up? :tears:

My Diary

Immune issues

Gaga

Ace

Thursday, December 23rd 2010, 1:06pm

Yeah Bonnie I would call the clinic and see what they say. You should def take an antibiotic though as kidney infection is more common in pregnant women.

My laboratory takes 24 hours for most urine cultures. Some labs take 2 days but it shouldn't take much longer than this. It would prob take a week for the GP to receive a written report but the result can be viewed on the computer system much sooner and if they really wanted the result the lab is always happy to give the result over the telephone.

xx

Natural :BFP: 2002, Born asleep 32 wks
TTC again 5 years
1st ICSI Oct/Nov 2010 :BFP: m/c 8 wks
2nd ICSI Nov/Dec 2011 - transfer cancelled - 11 ice babies
FET May 2012 :BFP:
7/6/12 [zx076] [zx076] :cheese:
25/6/12 [zx076] [zx076] seen again! So happy!!!
08/08/12 :boy: :boy: It's two boys!!! Yaaaay!
24/12/12 2 healthy boys born!! Best Christmas ever!!!
18/07/13 SHOCK NATURAL BFP :-)

• United Kingdom

Thursday, December 23rd 2010, 3:37pm

As I suspected my clinic told me absolutely not to take Trimethoprim and ask the GP to prescribe Amoxicillin instead and wait for cultures to come back. I am now having to fight to have the prescription changed - still waiting for someone from my GP practice to call me back about it.. I'm glad I got it double checked.

Stephanie, thank you for the info about test results - I'll pester them to check on the computer system.

My Diary

Immune issues

Ros

Megastar

Reg: Mar 14th 2008

Children: twin girls thanks to PGD!

Thursday, December 23rd 2010, 4:07pm

Hi, I'm sorry to read about your UTI, I get lots of them and throughout my pregnancy, so much so that I was on a low dose for the whole second half. Firstly they started me off with Cefalexin but it turned out that my UTI was resistent to that, so they put me on Amoxiclin. Every time I asked them if the antibios would hurt the babies and they said there was no known risk for those two. I hope you get your antibios changed to something safe. Good luck x

After 5 years of endo surgery, clomid, 2 x MM/C, 2 x ICSI cycles and 1 PGD cycle,
beautiful twin girls born 8th Feb 2010, we are so grateful

Reg: Aug 9th 2008

Thursday, December 30th 2010, 9:03pm

Do not take it. It is not good in the first trimester and should be avoided throughout preg. if possible, there are plenty of safer drugs to take. Trimethoprin will stop you absorbing folic acid leading to increased risk of spina bifida. You should be prescribed a general antibiotic such as amoxyciliin until your lab results confirm which is the correct antibiotic.

Reg: May 7th 2009

Children: Hopefully soon - but count one Tortoiseshell cat!

Friday, December 31st 2010, 6:21pm

I can sympathise in a way regarding UTIs, I had what I thought was a UTI end of October, i was prescribed the same as you Trimethorpin (before IVF cycle started), bladder pain got worse, went back to Dcs got given Cefalexin, no tests done, ended up in A&E as in Agony only for the second visit to differnet A&E (not local as away for a break) to actually culture my urine and tell me it was Pseudomonas and that the antibiotics given were no good and needed Ciprofloxacin, so worried as nearing start of cycle and wouldn't be able to take them, but my point is doctors can be useless they kicked up a stink when my clinic sked if i could get blood tests down at the GP to save about £400, just because I was going private they got funny about it and reluctantly let me and my husband do them. I know fromthe leaflet that none of the above are safe during preganancy but there are a lot of tablets that are safe, I would listen to your clinic as they know more about all this fertility than the gps do as mine just look at me blankly when i start talking about egg collections and embryo transfers, or get the gp reception to ring the clinic, thats what i had to do with the out of area hospital as they didn't believe me! Good luck and I hope you are feeling better because its not very nice xx
Nicky :xxx3:

1st IUI 21 August :BFN:
1st ICSI :BFN:
2nd IVF March 2010 :BFN:
3rd IVF June 2010 Failed Blastocyst :BFN:
4th IVF Alturistic Donor Eggs, :BFP:

Miscarriage 6 February 2011 at 10 weeks
Baby Billy my angel :tears:

crista

Reg: Jan 26th 2010

Monday, January 17th 2011, 6:18pm

Hi , I suffered constantly from UTIs before I got pregnant and was at my wits end until I discovered D-Mannose. A natural sugar that coats the lining of the bladder and flushes out the bacteria when you go to the loo. It was like a miracle cure for me and by all accounts perfectly safe to take during pregnancy. Google it and see what you think. I was on and off antibiotics for years. No more antibiotics for me. D mannose cured me!