You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

suki

Ace

• "suki" started this thread

Reg: Apr 11th 2008

Monday, December 20th 2010, 4:14pm

Amniocentesis

I'm having to go for an amnio next week and just wondered if there are any ladies out there who have been through this procedure. I know about all the mechanics of it but I'm still terrified of the procedure itself and the possible outcomes. I feel as if I have no choice, DH and I discussed this possibility before we even started our IVF journey, but its so much harder to be objective when your actually pregnant. Our risk factor for downs is 1:87.

nat :BFP: Feb 2008 mc 7wks

IVF April 08 :BFP:
FET April 2010 :BFN:
IVF July 2010 - ET postponed
FET Sept 2010 :BFP:

mrsjasper

Megastar

Reg: Nov 2nd 2005

Children: 2 gorgeous girls

Monday, December 20th 2010, 4:20pm

Hiya, Suki, I've never been there myself. Took the decision both times that I would rather bury my head in the sand so I never even had the blood test done, I admire your bravery. Does it help to remember that a 1:87 chance of Downs means a 86:87 chance that its not? Anyway, there is a site here http://www.arc-uk.org/ that can offer more useful advice than my waffle! (its not an FZ endorsed site)

Reg: Jun 6th 2008

Monday, December 20th 2010, 4:24pm

Hi Suki,

I went with my sister when she had hers and whilst she said it was uncomfortable she was not in any pain. She was told to take it easy for a week afterwards due to the small risk of miscarriage after. I hope this helps x

United Kingdom

Reg: Jul 2nd 2009

Children: Beautiful Jessica Mae x Holly and Elliot!

Monday, December 20th 2010, 5:01pm

Hi Suki,

I had a CVS instead (which I think is the same procedure) and it was okay really. Of course it wasn't 'nice' but I think the thought of it is worse than the actual 'doing'. Remember your chances are really good that everything is fine so try not to worry too much.

If you want to ask me anything else, please do.

h
3 X ICSI
Jessica Mae Duffety born sleeping on 9 January 2011 (21+2) - TS and HLHS
Holly and Elliot Duffety born on 16 October 2011 (25+6)
Natural Surprise - Matthew Evan Duffety born sleeping on 11 October 2013 (15+5)

ruthie

Superstar

• "ruthie" is no longer a member of FZ

Reg: Aug 31st 2008

Children: 3 angels looking after us.

Monday, December 20th 2010, 5:50pm

Don't know if this is true of amnio as well as CVS but my cons said that although there is an increased m/c risk after either procedure, the ladies that have had a m/c following CVS in my hospital have all had bad results on the CVS. In other words, they were babies that probably wouldn't have made it anyway. The problem is that if you have a m/c following amnio or CVS you obviously have no idea whether it was related to the procedure. However, at my hospital at least, they haven't yet had a m/c in a lady with normal results.

That comforted me as I had been very worried about the m/c risk. In the end our decision was easy to make as our Down's risk was 1 in 2 and they were telling us that based on what they oculd see on scan, the baby probably wouldn't make it anyway so refusing a CVS seemed a bit pointless. I think your decision is a harder one, but if the same is true of amnio as they told me about CVS then I wouldn't worry.

I agree with Hayley that it wasn't that bad. It was going through the wall of the uterus that was the most uncomfortable but that was quick. Then the next bit was them moving the needle around to get a good villus sample. They won't do that with you as all they are doing is draining off fluid, rather than collecting a villus sample so I would hope that it wouldn't be too bad for you.

I hope it's ok and that the results can reassure you about LO.

suki

Ace

• "suki" started this thread

Reg: Apr 11th 2008

Monday, December 20th 2010, 9:47pm

Thanks girls, especially Hayley and Ruthie as I know your situations are so sad. I've been worrying about how I could live with myself if I have a healthy baby and cause a m/c, so I feel a little more at peace after reading your advice, thankyou.

nat :BFP: Feb 2008 mc 7wks

IVF April 08 :BFP:
FET April 2010 :BFN:
IVF July 2010 - ET postponed
FET Sept 2010 :BFP:

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE