You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

mrsjasper

Megastar

• "mrsjasper" started this thread

Reg: Nov 2nd 2005

Children: 2 gorgeous girls

Tuesday, August 8th 2006, 8:07am

What do Braxton Hicks feel like?

Last night I got some very strange twinges in my bump which I think might have been Braxton Hicks. It felt like tension all over my bump but it seemed to last for about half an hour then slowly go away. Is this normal? Any mummies reading this, how does that compare to labour pains?

Missy

Superstar

Reg: Oct 3rd 2005

Tuesday, August 8th 2006, 8:24am

My labour pains weren't actually as bad as my BH's - until DD moved back to back that was!! :))

I can't describe my BH's all that well, sometimes I could feel my back and belly tightening and tensing, starting at the back and spreading over my bellybutton then down towards my pubis, and sometimes it was the other way around! it could be particularly painful if DD was bouncing about in there, it was like a dull pain (not an aches as such) a little more painful than a period pain and in the same place

xxx

4 baby angels, forever in our hearts

* CLICK *
TO SUPPORT FZ!

IRISH

• "IRISH" is no longer a member of FZ

Reg: Jul 15th 2006

Tuesday, August 8th 2006, 8:28am

braxton hicks can be very scattered and seem to last a long time....drinking water or a change in position usually shifted them.....whereas labour pains in my case were more in my back and they were regular...hope this helps :D

Bagpuss

• "Bagpuss" is no longer a member of FZ

Reg: Sep 27th 2005

Tuesday, August 8th 2006, 8:49am

Hmm BH's are a tightening sensation & your bump should go hard when having one. I found mine started at the bottom of my bump initially but later on in pg they start at the top & work down! it's sort of a cross between a period pain cramp & a needing to go to the loo pain 8o

As for labour pains they are regular & persistent, if you can talk it isn't a contraction! I can't describe them really but you really do know when it's the real thing. For me BH's were almost painless, I found with contractions that it isn't the pain that gets to you so much as the intensity & freqency. Mine started at 3-5 minutes for 45 seconds and only ever slowed to 7-10 minutes for a minute later on ?(

TheZooKeeper

Unregistered

Tuesday, August 8th 2006, 8:59am

I get BHs all the time - sometimes they are quite intense.

Rose

Star

Reg: Oct 12th 2005

Children: now have little boy!

Tuesday, August 8th 2006, 9:01am

The difference between braxton hicks and labour pains, is that labour pains are regular from the outset. The come in the same regular pattern, increasing in length and strength until baby is born. They start off generaly at the bottom of you uterus and move upwards until the whole uterus contracts.
Braxton hicks can feel similar, but are far more erratic and generally more uncomfortable rather than painful. They don't have any regulurity to them and they vary in strenghth and length.
hth
xx

Reg: Nov 14th 2005

Tuesday, August 8th 2006, 10:04am

i dont think i have ever had a BH ......

my labour pains (after my show and waters breaking) - started with a dull back ache and period type pains ..... very mild to start with .....they just got stronger and more regular as the day went on.
Coz my waters broke first i said in hospital and my DS was born 12 hours later - almost exactly 12 hours after my water broke in fact.

Chilli

Megastar

United Kingdom

Tuesday, August 8th 2006, 10:16am

My belly used to go really hard and tense up they were just uncomfy for me.

I was the same as you Samd DD was back to back so the labour pain was fine till that happened!

Reg: Feb 13th 2006

Tuesday, August 8th 2006, 2:10pm

Havent had them yet......are they something everyone gets or only the lucky/unlucky few........????

Reg: Nov 14th 2005

Tuesday, August 8th 2006, 2:54pm

i didnt have them last time either Tink .. we must be the special few :]

Missy

Superstar

Tuesday, August 8th 2006, 3:04pm

Count yourself lucky ladies that haven't felt them!! :D

Chilli, back labour really is painful isn't it hun :( If we were lucky enough to get another on the way and the same thing happened there would be no question if I was having an epidural - get it in!!! They wouldn't let me lie on my side or get off the bed either to relieve the pressure ;(

xxx

4 baby angels, forever in our hearts

* CLICK *
TO SUPPORT FZ!

Tuesday, August 8th 2006, 3:34pm

I had BH - they lasted quite a while, usually one offs and my whole belly tensed up. Real contractions were a lot different - like waves moving up through your pelvis, much shorter, sharper and more intense

Reg: Feb 13th 2006

Tuesday, August 8th 2006, 3:45pm

Oh tx Kizzy was beginning to think i was odd!!

x

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE