You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Duffymoon

Megastar

• "Duffymoon" started this thread

Reg: Jun 11th 2007

Children: Boy/girl twins born 2010

Friday, November 26th 2010, 11:19am

When did your baby sit unaided?

I did wonder about doing this as a poll but regular answers will do!

I know I have a thread about my DS's development being perhaps slower than average but I'm interested in learning how old your babies were when they could sit unaided and also whether you would class them as above average in size.

A friend of mine says that a baby of 9 months that cannot sit unaided is likely to be referred by the GP. does anyone have any experience of this?

xx

4 x ICSI BFN
5th time :BFP:
:boy: :girl:

gemmab

FORUM MENTOR

Reg: Feb 8th 2008

Children: 2 miracle icsi boys and 2 step kids.

What's Up?
Getting ready for another egg donation!!!

Friday, November 26th 2010, 11:58am

Kaynan was about 6 months when sat unaided and is on the 91st percentile for weight and height.

But he didn't crawl till 12 months and is just working on his walking at 15 months.

Babies really do do things at different ages!!!

ICSI 1 Apr 08-m/c 9.5.8
FETJul 08-BFN
ICSI 2 Dec 08 (ES) -I'm a mummy Kaynan arrived 19.8.09! :heart:
ICSI 3 Dec 10 (ES) -BFN
FET Mar 11- BFP- M/C ;(
ICSI 4 (ES) -:BFP: 1.7.11 Cobi arrived 09.03.12 [zx160]
Egg donation Aug 2012 BFN for recipient- gutted
Egg donation Dec 2012 Recipient :BFP:
Egg donation 27.05.2013- not great - please pray for the recipient :dust:

Scarlett

Superstar

Reg: Oct 23rd 2007

Children: William aged 3

Friday, November 26th 2010, 12:04pm

Hi honey,

William learned it all at once. One day he had a play date with his little friend Izabelle, who runs rings round him developmentally :snigger: - and the next day he could sit on his own. He was 8 months 4 days (have just checked in my diary!) but I would say that he's only achieved proper stability (ie I dare leave the room briefly without anticipating a "CLONK.... waaaaAAAHHHHH!" )this last week or two, so around 8 1/2 months + I have just realised he's 9 months today! :happy: He's a big boy too, 75 cms tall, around 23 lbs I think and built like a prop forward. I haven't heard of babies being referred sweetie, so can't help you there. I would guess he'll do it all at once and surprise you! Have you chatted to your HV about it? (I ask that as if I have a very chummy relationship with my HV and rely on her for all manner of infant wisdom. The truth of the matter is I don't even know who my HV is and haven't met with one since William was very little. But I know everyone's different.)

Well chalk that up as a pretty useless but well-intended reply. Kindly ask questions I can answer with pride and authority next time! :D Hope you're doing okay hon, big loves and kisses for your poppets. xxx

nn
1st IVF July 2008 BFN
2nd IVF Nov 2008 BFN
3rd DE IVF July 2009 BFP!
4th DE IVFJan 2012 BFN

5th FET April 2012 BFN

Blue

United Kingdom

Reg: Sep 15th 2008

What's Up?
I need sleep!

Friday, November 26th 2010, 12:12pm

I really doubt they would refer a baby for not sitting.
The thing to look out for is that your DS is learning new things. It doesn't matter if he is doing it at his own pace, the important thing is he is doing it.

At our 9 month check up, the GP was interested in crawling (gross motor), pincer grip (fine motor) and making sounds. But mainly she was trying to find out if we had any concerns.

I haven't seen your other thread Duffy, but just to say our girls do things are very different times to one another. I am convinced its due to a difference in personality. At 10 months, one is constantly pulling to stand up and taking steps while holding on to things. The other is far more relaxed and happy watching her sister do these crazy things.

B
x

My Diary
10 years, 5 cycles, and 3 beautiful children.
My family is complete :heart: :heart: :heart:

Duffymoon

Megastar

Friday, November 26th 2010, 12:39pm

Thanks Gemma. I know babies do things differently - my mum's always saying about me and my sisters and how different we were!

Kindly ask questions I can answer with pride and authority next time!

Ermm.....what is your name? :eyebrows:

Have you chatted to your HV about it?

Yep I have and she's visiting on Tuesday. Happy 9 months to your baby boy today!!

Blue...(Mavis..Willo :snigger: ) I started another thread in September about DS's *floppiness* and having two babies at the same time definitely makes it more apparent. He doesn't sit (if I put him in his rubber ring he invariably ends up with his head back) and he's never shown any interest in putting weight on his legs. When I carry him he still feels like he's going to slip through my hands. My instinct is telling me it's not right.

He is big and I'm certain this has a lot to do with not having the ability to do thigns as quickly as other babies of the same age. He has a very long back and last time I measured his length he was off the scale centile wise. I haven't had him weighed since early October when he was 22lbs.

Yes he may be a bit slower than the rest due to size/being a boy/being lazy - all of the above! but if something is genuinely not right then I'd rather find out sooner than later. His 8 month check is going to be closer to 10 months and I'd rather the HV discuss my concerns sooner than that. I'm also seeing the GP in a couple of weeks.

He has many many plus points and has recently started to roll over. He speaks more than any other baby i know and he feeds himself well though still with his whole fist.

DD has been sitting unaided for about a week but DS isn't anywhere close. I won't lie, it does concern me! I've really wanted to jump back on to my other thread and say how much he's changed etc and yes he is now rolling over and that's brilliant but it's just the speed between each milestone that just seems incredibly slow and I am genuinely finding it such hard work lifting him up and carrying him because he is a big bag of jelly wobble!

xx

4 x ICSI BFN

Duffymoon

Megastar

Friday, November 26th 2010, 12:46pm

This was the thread btw

Difference in lifting babies
x

4 x ICSI BFN

bubble

Megastar

United Kingdom

Friday, November 26th 2010, 1:14pm

Hi Duffy

Baby bubs rolled at 4months 2 days (remember it clearly!), sat unaided at about 8 months (according to the photos, I can't actually remember the date), didn't crawl until nearly 15 months (she just rolled everywhere she wanted to go!) and didn't walk until 19+ months. She didn't weight bare until she started walking! She's not tiny but was smaller than her peers especially in the first year or so.

I've never heard of a baby being referred for not sitting and I suspect that what the GP will do is tell you to come back in a months time if he's still not sitting. But as you have concerns its definately worth talking them through with the HV/GP. It sounds as though he is doing very well in other areas and I'm one of those people who think that they can't progress in every area at the same time so it may just be that he's concentrating on his speech and finer motor skills first.

x

Duffymoon

Megastar

Friday, November 26th 2010, 1:32pm

I'm one of those people who think that they can't progress in every area at the same time so it may just be that he's concentrating on his speech and finer motor skills first

So being a typical bloke....not able to multi-task! :snigger:

I think you're probably right in that i'll be told to go away and come back in x weeks but that in itself would give me comfort!

Thanks honey

x

Flic

Italy Poland

Reg: May 8th 2008

Children: Had my first daughter on 25th February 2010!

What's Up?
Stressed.

Friday, November 26th 2010, 1:44pm

Hello,

I started putting O to sit with a cushion behind her not long before 6 months, then she suddenly stopped no falling. She started commando crawling not long after the 6 months I think, maybe 7 months. She can now sit herself up.

She's almost on 98th centile now for everything, so she's rather large!!

I know that Grace's J has had her worried because he wasn't babbling or sitting up himself or crawling very much and then all of a sudden its clicked and he's doing it like a pro!!

I think I've read somewhere that babies either develop their motor skills or their speech skills and that usually one comes through more than the other.

Our miracle was born on 25.02.2010!!

Duffymoon

Megastar

Friday, November 26th 2010, 1:49pm

I think I've read somewhere that babies either develop their motor skills or their speech skills and that usually one comes through more than the other.

Really? that's interesting! He's definitely heads and shoulders above his baby pals in terms of speech. He's bored with 'daddy' now and it's just plain old 'dad'.

I know that Grace's little boy was a bit slow in doing things but think she said he was sitting up by 7 and a half months.

xx

Grace

Princess of the Universe

United Kingdom

Reg: Jul 29th 2008

Children: 1 beautiful little son conceived through ICSI and one equally beautiful little boy concieved naturally!

What's Up?
Oh god I've got Puppies!

Friday, November 26th 2010, 2:43pm

Hey Duffy, J was sitting up at almost 8 months but I still put stuff behind him as he still tended to fall over if he turned his head too fast or reached for something. Unlike other babies J didn't get it all in a rush he very slowly got better at it, he started sitting up between my legs from about 6 months on and over the course of almost 2 months his back gradually got strong enough to hold him upright without falling over in a heap as soon as I moved my leg. He didn't learn to put himself into a sitting position from lying down until he was gone 10 months old.

Flic is right about the babbling although he did it 10 days before it officially indicated a problem so he really got me gnashing on my fingernails!

ICSI BFP DS1 born Nov 09
Natural BFP DS2 born Sept 11

Flic

Italy Poland

Reg: May 8th 2008

Children: Had my first daughter on 25th February 2010!

What's Up?
Stressed.

Friday, November 26th 2010, 3:53pm

Hiya

I am sure I've read it somewhere. Like Bubble says they can't progress with everything all at one go so either the walking and moving come up first or their speech, I think its different parts of the brain.

And now you've said that his speech is well on its way I bet that could be it, he's far more interested in chatting and getting people to do what he wants that actually going and doing it himself!!! And I don't blame him!!!!

Our miracle was born on 25.02.2010!!

Pootle

Megastar

Reg: Mar 31st 2007

Children: 2 beautiful girls.

Friday, November 26th 2010, 4:58pm

Hi Duffy.

DD2 was about 7 months, maybe 8 I think. DD1 - can't remember - how rubbish is that?! Bit earlier than DD2 I think.

Bubble is right - you will probably be told to go away for a month and no doubt, in that time, he'll be doing it quite happily!

And yes, I've heard too the thing about developing in one area at a time and I'd say, definitely, amongst my friends we've all had babies who were 'ahead' and/or 'behind' (whatever those terms are worth) is various areas.

As you know, I had real worries about DD2's physical abilities and sometimes you do have a voice (or in my case, a consultant's voice!) telling you that something's not quite right. Usually, and hopefully (and I expect so) with your DS he'll just have a spurt, realise he can multi task and catch up his sister. And, even though you've heard it a million times, they all usually even out eventually.

x

My family is complete...I am grateful every day

DD1, natural miracle, 2005
DD2, IVF miracle, 2008

chalmers206

Superstar

Reg: Feb 5th 2007

Children: my beatufil boy born on 22/4/10

Sunday, November 28th 2010, 11:38pm

hi duffy,

Tj has only just started sitting himsef and he will be 8 months on thursday, he is still really wobbly though.
I was worried about him too as he is showing no signs of crawling or rolling round either, he is quite happy lying on his back.
It must be a boy thing lol. Having said that Tj is great at talking, you cant really tell what he says just babbles.
So i guess they all just take their own time.
2ND ES/ICSI AUG 09 = :BFP
THOMAS JOHN (TJ) BORN 22/4/10
DEC 2012 :BFP:
ONE BEAUTIFUL [zx076] SEEN 9/1/13

Reg: Jul 17th 2007

Tuesday, November 30th 2010, 7:53pm

Duffy - hey there...Ive finally got back on here...
The difficulty is you've got 2 and naturally you compare... Ive been told this so many times and what do i do - I compare...

C was bigger of our 2 as you know and was always streets ahead with language (babbling etc)... L was better with Motor skills... Its still the same now.
L is 18 months but not really saying any real words yet C is - Loads.. He's like a little parrot...

If you're concerned at all, just talk to someone. HV should be happy to try and alleviate any potential stresses you have. I will warn you though, my HV used the line - every child is different.
Used to drive my DH mad... One day he nearly asked her to leave... But i digress...

Im at the end of the phone, any time... x
me 38 DH 45 - unexplained infertility and ttc for 4 years ,Mar 07 -Missed m/c
4 attempts at Clomid - BFN (Jun , Jul, Aug, and Nov 07)

Apr 08 - ICSI - BFN
Oct 08 - ICSI - BFP

Baby boys born on 29-May-09

Rene

Lone wolf

South Africa

Reg: Oct 3rd 2005

Children: one gorgeous boy

What's Up?
I have PMA
I'm Positive that
I am Mental
and I know I have Attitude

Tuesday, November 30th 2010, 8:02pm

I can't remember offhand when C started to sit undaided but he seemed to go from sitting to crawling and then walking in a very short space of time and he was always above 95th centile for height and weight...

PCOS, hypothyroid - on thyroxine, aspirin and Met
Lap/Ovarian Drilling Oct 2005
DIUI X5 + 2 abandoned cycles (total 7 cycles)
:BFP: 22 March 2006 - Connor Born 24 November 2006 - unplanned c-section
At 3 and a half C finally gave up the boob!

Duffymoon

Megastar

Tuesday, December 14th 2010, 9:55am

Hi

Just to update and say i did go to the GP yesterday though DS has really improved these past 3 or so weeks. Definitely not sitting unaided but definitely better than he was.

The GP was really lovely and basically said everything I told her gave her no concerns whatsoever. If i was still worried in the New Year I could go back and get referred to a community paeditrician but given he is making (small) improvements, I really don't think that will be necessary.

The doctor said that the *floppiness* when you carry etc can last up to 3 years and it's just the way some babies/toddlers are.

Thanks for all your messages :-)

xx

4 x ICSI BFN

Ros

Megastar

Reg: Mar 14th 2008

Children: twin girls thanks to PGD!

Tuesday, December 14th 2010, 9:42pm

Great that the doc reassured you and J is getting there slowly. Really good news hun :) x

After 5 years of endo surgery, clomid, 2 x MM/C, 2 x ICSI cycles and 1 PGD cycle,
beautiful twin girls born 8th Feb 2010, we are so grateful

Reg: Nov 22nd 2007

Children: William and Charlotte

Thursday, December 16th 2010, 9:05am

Hey Duffy, glad all is well with the twinnies. I really think that it is a boy thing, Will was way behind all of his NCT friends then suddenly he did everything and I now wish he would sit still for just a minute. I wouldn't stay Will is floppy but he has always been unsteady on his feet and runs everywhere like Pheobie from friends, I call him my wonky Donky :snigger: He is miles ahead of the others with his speach though, I also wish he would be quiet for a minute too. You've probably gathered that I have a boy who never keeps still and never shuts up....I love it :happy:

Enjoy yours first Xmas together

blowkiss

IVF #1 2008 :BFP: William born 15/2/09
Our 6 yr TTC journey WAS over
Shocking natural :BFP: Charlotte born 10/9/11
:happy: Our family is now complete :happy:

Duffymoon

Megastar

Tuesday, December 21st 2010, 9:55am

Thanks Ali - yep I'm sure i'll be with you on the wishing he would keep still bit in a few months. :yes:

Interestingly when we were at water babies on Sunday we were showing the babies how to hold on to the rail and to see how much tension they had in their arms/pushing their feet against the wall etc. The teacher was going along going awww yess excellent tension...etc etc.....got to Jasper and said hmmmm, you won't be letting go of him for a while....:sadface: Poor Jasper!!!! More press ups required!!!

My 8-12 month check is on 17 January so will leave this thread until then!

xx

4 x ICSI BFN

Grace

Princess of the Universe

United Kingdom

Reg: Jul 29th 2008

Children: 1 beautiful little son conceived through ICSI and one equally beautiful little boy concieved naturally!

What's Up?
Oh god I've got Puppies!

Tuesday, December 21st 2010, 12:26pm

See how the check goes hon but J didn't hold onto the side of the pool until he was about 11 months, prior to that he would refuse to let me put his hands on the edge and if I managed to and then let go he just sank. Now he's like a limpet.

ICSI BFP DS1 born Nov 09
Natural BFP DS2 born Sept 11