You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

hjp

• "hjp" started this thread
  • United Kingdom

Reg: Jul 2nd 2009

Children: Beautiful Jessica Mae x Holly and Elliot!

Monday, October 11th 2010, 1:58pm

Tummy Getting Smaller...!

Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this? My tummy has been pretty large for a while now. It was huge when I first got BFP and then went down a little.

It has continued to be quite large but over the past couple of days it seems to be getting smaller (I think). Is this normal?

I am so worried and my next scan isn't for another three weeks.....

Any words of wisdom will be gratefully received.

h
3 X ICSI
Jessica Mae Duffety born sleeping on 9 January 2011 (21+2) - TS and HLHS
Holly and Elliot Duffety born on 16 October 2011 (25+6)
Natural Surprise - Matthew Evan Duffety born sleeping on 11 October 2013 (15+5)

Grace

Princess of the Universe

United Kingdom

Reg: Jul 29th 2008

Children: 1 beautiful little son conceived through ICSI and one equally beautiful little boy concieved naturally!

What's Up?
Oh god I've got Puppies!

Monday, October 11th 2010, 2:14pm

Hi,

It's perfectly normal, in the first few weeks the progesterone causes all sorts of weird things to happen including your bowels to become incredibly sluggish which usually causes bloating and water retention. In addition to this your ovaries will probably still be quite swollen and will stay a little like that until the placenta takes over production of progesterone and the ovaries can return to a dormant state.

As your body adapts to the effect of progesterone and you get further away from the trauma for ET then it's quite normal for your tummy to look a bit smaller. It won't be baby related as the uterus doesn't rise out of the pelvis until about 15 weeks so you can't actually see any swelling from the uterus at this point. Easier said than done I know but try not to worry about this it's normal, soon enough you'll have an enormous bump you can balance things on :)

ICSI BFP DS1 born Nov 09
Natural BFP DS2 born Sept 11

hjp

• United Kingdom

Monday, October 11th 2010, 2:20pm

Hi Grace,

Do you really think so? I have been worrying about it today more than ever. I was even thinking of asking the Midwife to set up another scan but I thought it was being a bit over the top and didn't want to make things worse.

The clinics don't tell you a lot about what to expect which makes things awful....all the waiting! I have been having a few AF type pains this week too. Nothing major and not all the time....just now and again. Perhaps I am just worrying unnecessarily.

I would love to get another scan done to be honest.....it's been two weeks since my first one and it's getting harder to still believe my baby is still with me. I want to enjoy it all but can't so much because of the worrying.

Probably being silly.
3 X ICSI

Grace

Princess of the Universe

United Kingdom

Children: 1 beautiful little son conceived through ICSI and one equally beautiful little boy concieved naturally!

What's Up?
Oh god I've got Puppies!

Monday, October 11th 2010, 2:30pm

Totally, as I said the baby is right down inside your pelvic cradle, you can barely feel the top of the uterus over the top of your pelvis so, although it will have got bigger, it will be pushing against your pelvis and not pushing your tummy out. It's far more likely that you've been a bit bloated and this is easing off (my boobs went down again about now and nearly gave me heart failure).

Because you've had IVF early pg doesn't always proceed as it would for "normal" people, I don't know if you're still on progesterone support but you also probably had several punctured follicles (rather than 1) all producing progesterone so your progesterone levels would have been much higher than for someone who has conceived naturally (mine was 600 at one point and it should be about 90), as you time goes on your follies calm down (slowly your progesterone level drops to a more normal level) and our body adapts to the changing levels of hormones in your blood - this is why when you get to the 2nd tri most of your symptoms (including any sickness) usually subside and all you have to show for being pg is a slowly expanding bump until the 3rd tri when most of them come back.

You're not being silly, after everything we go through it's natural to worry and very difficult to stop. You will find you'll relax once you get into the 2nd tri and feel a little bit more secure. Unfortunately strange aches and pains are totally normal and scare the hell out of you, I kept getting painless but noticable cramps which terrified me but turned out to be nothing at all. However, if you need to get another scan then see if the mw can organise one as it will make you feel better, alternatively you can pay privately for scans they're usually about £150.

ICSI BFP DS1 born Nov 09

hjp

• United Kingdom

Monday, October 11th 2010, 2:43pm

Hi there and thank you so much for your help,

I have had IVF and am still on Progresterone support (unfortunately - I hate it). I am sure my other half will just say 'stop worrying' and wouldn't want another scan just yet. Doesn't stop me waiting one every week though!

I do feel a little better after having spoken with you - thank you!
3 X ICSI

Mr C

United Kingdom

Reg: Sep 30th 2008

Children: Blessed with NonId Twin Girls!

Monday, October 11th 2010, 2:59pm

Also, don't forget, your ovaries will have been quite enlarged due to the IVF drugs and they will now be returning to a more normal size, thus shrinking.
Our Diary
ISCI 1 - Mar/Apr 2009 - :BFN: ICSI 2 - Dec/Jan 2010 - :BFN: ISCI 3 - Mar/Apr 2010 - :BFP:
Our twin girls were born at 38 weeks on 21st December 2010. Feeling very blessed.

BraveGirl

Superstar

• "BraveGirl" is no longer a member of FZ

Reg: Feb 15th 2008

Children: One on the way.

Monday, October 11th 2010, 3:14pm

hjp, please dont worry, just be pleased your tummy is reducing. Mine is still massive and I cannot blame BB. I blame progesterone pessaries and the steroids that I am on.

If you are worried, then you could book a private scan. Where do you live?

Here is a link - I just googled 'private baby scan suffolk"

scan
IVF 1 :BFP: baby5 in heaven 6 weeks
IVF 5 :BFP: Immune protocol Care Sheffield
Oscar Miles arrived 15 April 2011 weighing 6lbs 14oz
My Diary

hjp

• United Kingdom

Monday, October 11th 2010, 3:14pm

I really hope you are both right x
3 X ICSI

BraveGirl

Superstar

• "BraveGirl" is no longer a member of FZ

Reg: Feb 15th 2008

Children: One on the way.

Monday, October 11th 2010, 3:18pm

hjp, they are right babes. At the stage you are the baby is not above the top of your pubic bone so would not be able to make your tummy bigger in order for it to then get smaller.
IVF 1 :BFP: baby5 in heaven 6 weeks
IVF 5 :BFP: Immune protocol Care Sheffield
Oscar Miles arrived 15 April 2011 weighing 6lbs 14oz
My Diary

• "bouncytigger" is no longer a member of FZ

Reg: Mar 9th 2008

Monday, October 11th 2010, 3:24pm

I felt massive at 6 weeks and nothing fitted.. kept expecting to be massive by the time I was 12 weeks and was worrying how I would hide pg from work.. but my tummy went down loads as well..
ICSI number 5 - BFP!! :boy: :girl: arrived December 2010

hjp

• United Kingdom

Monday, October 11th 2010, 4:24pm

Hey Guys,

Thanks so much for spending the time to write back!

I feel much better and guess what.....tummy has come back! I actually think it's to do with when and what I eat....! Seems to bloat up an hour or so after eating! I like to see it though - does that make me strange?!
3 X ICSI

Grace

Princess of the Universe

United Kingdom

What's Up?
Oh god I've got Puppies!

Monday, October 11th 2010, 5:07pm

It's your gut honey, if it's bloating after eating it's because your gut is sluggish because of the progesterone allowing gas to build because the food is hanging round too long rather than zipping through in the efficient fashion it did before you were pg. Of course you like to see it, it's the only outward sign your pg and at this stage you're looking for every sign you can get - don't worry soon you'll get a real bump and you'll only have to look down to remind yourself.

ICSI BFP DS1 born Nov 09

hjp

• United Kingdom

Monday, October 11th 2010, 5:34pm

Fingers crossed - I love it!
3 X ICSI

Fay

Ace

Reg: Jul 9th 2010

Children: None but desperate for 2

Tuesday, October 12th 2010, 4:49pm

Hi HJP

I think like everyone said its probably the ovaries swollen and now things are settling down. I too am huge and bloated. I had a six week scan on saturday and they said my ovaries are still swollen and that they should go back to normal when the placenta takes over
Fay
:jilly:
babydust
ICSI Sep 10 -BFP Miscarriage at 8 weeks :tears:
ICSI Feb11- BFN

Caz

Ace

Reg: Aug 17th 2008

Children: 2 perfect boys, Thomas & James

Tuesday, October 12th 2010, 7:16pm

Hey hjp,
Sounds quite "normal" for an IVFer to me. Mine changes throughout the day, mostly wind in my case I reckon, can look about 6 months at 5pm but first thing in the morning there's nothing!
I hate the progesterone too, can't wait to be rid of them! They cause havoc with symptoms which is why so many people see things come and go in the first trimester. One minute your nipples feel like they're going to explode, then you have to dash to the loo, then you don't go for a week, then you get wind your grandad would be proud of, then your boobs inflate, then you feel like you've wet yourself there's so much cm (sorry tmi!), then it all disappears for a day and so on and so on........ all those horrid little progesterone bullets I'm sure!!
IVF/ICSI Aug 08 :BFP: - Thomas born 26/04/09 baby2
FET Aug 10 :BFP: - James born 18/04/11 baby7

Reg: Aug 31st 2009

Children: Expecting Twins June 2010 :)

Saturday, October 23rd 2010, 7:51pm

Couldn't of said it better myself Caz that is exactly how I have been, my tummy is flat first thing but as the day goes on it gets bigger I have to undo my trousers to drive home!!
Only difference with me is I stopped taking my progesterone once I got my BFP x x x

TEST DATE 1st March 2010 - BFN :'(
2nd IVF Sep 10 - BFP :) TWINS :) <3 <3.