You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

ruthie

Superstar

• "ruthie" is no longer a member of FZ
  • "ruthie" started this thread

Reg: Aug 31st 2008

Children: 3 angels looking after us.

Friday, October 8th 2010, 12:45pm

betas not doubling properly - is it all over already?

I am totally over this and I cannot take any more.

On Tues we got our BFP.

Tues 14dpo beta of 131
Weds 15dpo beta of 174
Fri 17dpo beta of 212

This makes a doubling time of 65 hours between the first 2 and 160 ish hours between the second 2.

The levels are still within normal ranges in and of themselves but the doubling times are obviously slower than ideal, and the fact that the doubling times themselves are reducing is filling me with dread.
I am waiting to hear back from ARGC with their opinion but I think I just need to wait till Mon when I can have another blood test.

I cannot believe that after everything we have been through, and what seemed like a miracle BFP, it looks like it's all being taken away.

What I am after, if they exist is tales of similar slow beta progression that became beautiful babies? Help me please.

Reg: Sep 21st 2009

Children: one step daughter, very proud Mummy to Maisy and Oliver

Friday, October 8th 2010, 12:52pm

Hello Ruthie. I can't bear to think of you fretting all weekend about this, I'm no expert in beta's BUT surely the fact they are rising means something - it has to doesnt it? If the pg was not progressing then the betas would be dropping. Will you be able to speak to arcg today??? Is there no one you can speak to now??

Everythings firmly crossed for you xfingers xfingers
Very happy Mummy to Maisy & Oliver - bring on the fun!

SAZZLE

BraveGirl

Superstar

• "BraveGirl" is no longer a member of FZ

Reg: Feb 15th 2008

Children: One on the way.

Friday, October 8th 2010, 12:59pm

hi ruthie

I am feeling awful for you reading this but its by no means over. I cannot help terribly with the betas as I had mine done at 12dpo(56) and then 14dpo (139) and I did not have any more blood tests then until 5 weeks 6 days.

They are still going up though and thats the important thing,. I would not really count the ones taken only 24 hours apart, I would look at 14dpo and 17 dpo as that gives a proper time for them to increase. And on that basis they look ok and if you are within range that has to be good too.

Did you have 2 embies put back? xxx xfingers xfingers
IVF 1 :BFP: baby5 in heaven 6 weeks
IVF 5 :BFP: Immune protocol Care Sheffield
Oscar Miles arrived 15 April 2011 weighing 6lbs 14oz
My Diary

ruthie

Superstar

Friday, October 8th 2010, 1:12pm

Yup 2 embies replaced.

The prob is even if I ignore the middle value and just look at the 14dpo and 17dpo it's still a doubling time of 100 hours which is too slow.

Jessica

Superstar

United Kingdom

Reg: Sep 4th 2008

Children: One little boy, thanks to IVF

Friday, October 8th 2010, 1:16pm

Oh Ruthie, I'm so sorry to read this. I don't know enough about betas to be able to say anything useful, but I'm so sorry you've got to worry about this over the weekend till you can have your next blood test.
Kitty
xx

IVF Nov-08 - BFP. DS born July 2009
FET Oct-10 - BFN
IVF Sep-11 - BFN

BraveGirl

Superstar

Friday, October 8th 2010, 1:22pm

oh hon :sadface:

is it that definitive, is has to double every 48 hours? surely its not that set in stone babes x
My Diary

gemmab

FORUM MENTOR

Reg: Feb 8th 2008

Children: 2 miracle icsi boys and 2 step kids.

What's Up?
Getting ready for another egg donation!!!

Friday, October 8th 2010, 1:22pm

Hun

I am so so sorry you are worrying and I wish I could say something to make you feel better.

The only ones that are going to give you definite answers are the clinic.

Give them a little more time and then ring them again and explain just how worried you are!!

ICSI 1 Apr 08-m/c 9.5.8
FETJul 08-BFN
ICSI 2 Dec 08 (ES) -I'm a mummy Kaynan arrived 19.8.09! :heart:
ICSI 3 Dec 10 (ES) -BFN
FET Mar 11- BFP- M/C ;(
ICSI 4 (ES) -:BFP: 1.7.11 Cobi arrived 09.03.12 [zx160]
Egg donation Aug 2012 BFN for recipient- gutted
Egg donation Dec 2012 Recipient :BFP:
Egg donation 27.05.2013- not great - please pray for the recipient :dust:

Reg: Aug 12th 2010

What's Up?
(",)

Friday, October 8th 2010, 1:25pm

ruthie, how have you worked out 100 hours? I'm thinking as follows and have assumed that you had blood tests at the same time of day

Tues to Wed = 24 hours
Wed to Thurs = 24 hours
Thurs to Fri = 24 hours

Add all the hours together and the result is 72.

That would mean that your betas are almost doubling in 72 hours, which might not be such bad news?
Aug/Sept 2010 ICSI :BFP: :girl:

ruthie

Superstar

Friday, October 8th 2010, 1:33pm

I've used a doubling time calculator so the times are exactly that sadly.

Eeyore

TECHNICAL ADMIN

United Kingdom

Reg: Sep 27th 2005

What's Up?
Manners are appreciated
and free to use

Friday, October 8th 2010, 2:01pm

is it that definitive, is has to double every 48 hours?

Sorry that you are having this worry

No, it does not double every 48 hours - 85% of pregnancies see a doubling every 72 hours, which is hugely different.

I don't know what a doubling calculator is I am afraid, but do know that when I had my tests done it was as Chillimint has described. Tues AM to Friday AM being 72 hours.

x

What's Up?
(",)

Friday, October 8th 2010, 2:07pm

Ah right. I know you're really after real life examples of successful pregnancies ...I'm sorry that I don't know of any but I've not been on the FZ very long. I have done a quick internet search (I know, probably not a good idea!) for slow doubling time and seen a few positive stories.

That doubling time of 100 hours is slow but the first one of 65 hours is within the ranges...so It might pick up again, which I believe is possible. I really hope so.

Another thought...the calculators will assume a doubling rate that stays steady and constant, but we know that doubling rates can vary.

x

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "chillimint" (Oct 8th 2010, 2:11pm)

Grace

Princess of the Universe

United Kingdom

Reg: Jul 29th 2008

Children: 1 beautiful little son conceived through ICSI and one equally beautiful little boy concieved naturally!

What's Up?
Oh god I've got Puppies!

Friday, October 8th 2010, 2:25pm

Oh Ruthie I'm so sorry you're having this worry. Chillimint and Eeyore are giving you very good advice, in addition to this if you've had 2 put back it is possible that they've both made it to test day but only one has implanted and the other has stopped producing HCG which would look like a slowdown in the HCG because only one embie is now producing HCG when previously there were 2. I have a friend who had her daughter this year and in the early stages her hcg didnt' double properly and then started to rise normally after almost seeming to stop at one point, her clinic were a bit baffled but suggested that this was the reason.

Wait until you get another blood test and see what the ARGC say.

ICSI BFP DS1 born Nov 09
Natural BFP DS2 born Sept 11

Blue

United Kingdom

Reg: Sep 15th 2008

What's Up?
I need sleep!

Friday, October 8th 2010, 2:32pm

Any news from Mr T, Ruthie?
I think he looks at all results over lunchtime. Have you tried calling the clinic to speed them up?
And ditto to what Grace says above.
Much love to you,
Blue
xxx

My Diary
10 years, 5 cycles, and 3 beautiful children.
My family is complete :heart: :heart: :heart:

• "bouncytigger" is no longer a member of FZ

Reg: Mar 9th 2008

Friday, October 8th 2010, 2:33pm

Oh Ruthie I am so sorry that you are going through this..

I can only add my own experience where we were tested on 15dpo and it was 505 (through my GP so my clinic didn't know I'd done this) and the retested at the clinic on 18dpo and it hadn't doubled.. but I can't remember what the numbers were.. 900 and something.. but it absolutely hadn't doubled.. it was about 50-70 off. I was the same as you, convinced things were going wrong as I've seen all the stuff on doubling times etc.. The only thing that put my mind at rest was another blood test a week or so later and it was at least a week as the clinic were happy with the results of the 18dpo.. I just told them I was worried, so they did another one and it took a week to persuade them to do one.. at that point the numbers were off the scale..

Considering I had two in there, my numbers (in theory) should have been going mad, but they weren't.. so whether I'm an exception or they were just slow to get going, I don't know.. but they didn't double as they 'should' have done early on...

The only thing as you say that will help is another blood test and it's so horrible to have to wait.. I am sending all the PMA I have Ruthie and am crossing everything for you...

xxx
ICSI number 5 - BFP!! :boy: :girl: arrived December 2010

ruthie

Superstar

Friday, October 8th 2010, 2:37pm

The doubling calculators work by you putting in the time and date of the consecutive blood tests and then they work out for you how long they are taking to double, based on how much they've gone up in the time.

Obv I can see that Tues to Fri is 72 hours, but they've gone from 131 to 212 in 72 hours. To double in 72 hours they should have gone to 262. What a doubling time of 100 hours means is that if they keep rising at the same rate, it will take a total of 100 hours to double, ie will double by tomorrow morning.

The reason I'm fretting is that if you put the first 2 results in you get a doubling time of 65 hours, which isn't good but is within the ranges. However if you compare the second 2 results the doubling time is 165 hours which is very very slow.
Even if I ignore the middle result and just look at the 1st and 3rd I get a doubling time of 100 hours which is still too low.

Sorry I'm banging on, I just don't see how this can be good. Maybe I'm one of the weird people who has abnormal results but everything is fine but I don't understand why it can't jsut be good news for once.

United Kingdom

Reg: Mar 26th 2010

Children: Hopefully I will have one soon!

Friday, October 8th 2010, 3:18pm

Sorry ruthie to hear your problems i really hope they start speeding up for you and put your mind at rest! I am sure it isnt over and i am sure things will work out but i totally understand why you are worried as i would be the same as this journey is stressful enough without having extra worries. Good luck and hope all starts to improve asap xxxx
1st IVF May 2010- :BFN:
SEPT/OCT 2010 :BFP: keep strong my little ones xxx bab21 bab22

Reg: Oct 19th 2009

Friday, October 8th 2010, 3:52pm

Hiya Ruthie,

I don't know much about doubling times but am praying you are fine and everything works out, Try to think positive thoughts if you can and
focus on the little one insife you

keeping fingers crossed for you

xxx
Anna
2nd ICIS Jan 2011 :BFP:

What's Up?
(",)

Friday, October 8th 2010, 4:05pm

You're not banging on at all. I'm sorry I've not been able to say anything helpful. I hope Monday brings good news for you, because, you're right, its about time x [zx127]

Reg: May 3rd 2010

Children: We are still dreaming.....

Friday, October 8th 2010, 4:13pm

Aw Ruthie I hate knowing you are worrying about all of this hun, I do hope you get an answer some time soon from the clinic luv. Grace's theory sounds likely doesn't it and I pray this is what has happened and then all will be well. take care sweetie and I'll keep checking in to make sure your ok luv x x x

Maria72

Italy

What's Up?
ohffs

Friday, October 8th 2010, 5:30pm

:hugs: I know the stress you're under. Wait for the clinic. I know those number don't sound good but wait before being negative as sometimes the betas do not double every 48 hours. Keep strong blowkiss

ruthie

Superstar

Friday, October 8th 2010, 5:44pm

Thanks ladies for all your lovely messages.
I've heard back from ARGC and as I feared they want me to go in tomorrow for bloods. I tried to get out of them whether this is because they may actually be able to do something, in which case I am there like a shot, or whether it's just to establish asap what is going on, so that I'm not in limbo. If it is just for info, then hard as waiting would be I would prefer to wait as I don't want to do a 12 hour round trip to London, purely for information purposes. Anyway they couldn't tell me that, just that Mr T wanted me in tomorrow.

So I had to decide between turning up at the emergency gynae ward here tomorrow, making up stories that I'm spotting and trying to get an HCG done that way, or getting on the sleeper train at 10pm and going to London. Anyway as I was deciding a friend of mine turned up to see if I was ok and she is going to drive me to London. The nightmare is of course that Tys is away so can't be with me and mum and dad have a houseful of guests this weekend, so although not impossible for my mum to go, it would be very difficult.
So the upshot is that my lovely friend is picking me up at 4am, we are driving to London to have bloods asap and hopefully by lunchtime ish I will have some news, which I am praying will be good. Then at least I am on site if they decide they want to do anything else.

I absolutely cannot take any more.

Reg: Jun 6th 2008

Friday, October 8th 2010, 5:46pm

Hi sweetie,

Just wanted to wish you the best of luck for tomorrow. Glad your friend is able to drive you but wish you didn't have to make the trip. I'm keeping everything xfingers for you and hope you get good news xx

United Kingdom

Reg: Mar 18th 2009

Children: 2 sons, 6 + 9 (previous marriage) and 1 angel baby (boy) - born and grew wings Nov 09

Friday, October 8th 2010, 5:52pm

Oh Ruthie. I'm sorry you are going through all this worry. I definately wouldn't assume its all over, sure there are lots of cases where things get off to a slow start then turn out ok. I son't have any experience of this myself, but I was mad poas using those clearblue digitals and it showed as 1-2 weeks pregnant untill I was nearly 8 weeks gone then had an early scan done and all was absolutely fine?
When will yo get results? We're all waiting on tender hooks for you and can only imagine the desperation you feel. Find those positive vibes and reinstall them lady, and in the mean time I'll keep everything crossed and pray for you xxx

starsmile My Diary

Natural :BFP: 5/4/09 but we lost our beautiful son :sniff:

Jessica

Superstar

United Kingdom

Reg: Sep 4th 2008

Children: One little boy, thanks to IVF

Friday, October 8th 2010, 5:55pm

Oh Ruthie I'm so sorry you are having to go through all of this. DH being away and your mum busy is adding insult to injury (not meaning it's their fault, but such bad luck and timing) but I'm glad your friend is able to help in such a practical way and you won't be going through everything tomorrow on your own.

Best of luck; I really hope it's better news.
Kitty
xx

IVF Nov-08 - BFP. DS born July 2009
FET Oct-10 - BFN
IVF Sep-11 - BFN

Friday, October 8th 2010, 5:56pm

Good luck for tomorrow Ruthie.. what a lovely friend.. I'm glad you don't have to wait till Monday xxx

bubble

Megastar

United Kingdom

Friday, October 8th 2010, 6:01pm

xfingers x

ttc since July 06. 8 cycles of clomid. BFP on cycle 5 (Dec 07) ended in m/c at 9.5 weeks. Second BFP on cycle 8 (May 08)

Siobhan

United Kingdom

Reg: Apr 27th 2009

Children: A beautiful 12 yr old daughter and a gorgeous 1 yr old baby girl, hoping to be blessed again.

What's Up?
:0)

Friday, October 8th 2010, 6:08pm

Oh Ruthie im sos orry to hear your going through this. [zx127] im going through a simialr thing too :sadface: had my bloods done wednesday and they were at 25.8 today they are at 24.3 :sadface: iv been told to carry on with my meds as im not bleeding but tbh i dont see the point! theyv told me to give the pg the benefit of the doubt and test again in a week and see what happens! just so fed up with it all so i really do know how you feel. XXX

TTC 7 Yrs
Me 30 DH 30
IVF x3 :BFN:
FET x4 :BFN:
Brief positives along the way [zx103]

Evie Rose born 28/09/2011 weighing 5Ib 12oz
Evie Rose Grist Adopted on the 26/03/2013 [zx076]

Verity

GLOBAL MODERATOR

United Kingdom

Reg: Apr 18th 2010

Children: One gorgeous boy

What's Up?
:)

Friday, October 8th 2010, 6:17pm

So sorry you are going through this worry Ruthie, i really do hope you get good news tomorrow xx

6 x IVF, 3 x FET
3 x MMC, 3 x :BFN:, 1 x failed thaw
Two gorgeous boys.

Reg: Feb 16th 2009

Children: Yes please

Friday, October 8th 2010, 7:14pm

Ruthie. Im praying for you. X

3 IUI and 5 IVF :BFN:
What's the future?
MY DIARY

High NK and high PAI-1
On Metformin & Immune Cycle

compley

Megastar

Reg: Apr 30th 2006

Children: DS and DD

Friday, October 8th 2010, 7:29pm

Thinking of you Ruthie xxx

Jappy

Reg: Sep 10th 2009

Children: One

What's Up?
I am a mommy !!!

Friday, October 8th 2010, 7:32pm

Sorry your going through this Ruthie xxxxx Hopefully Grace is right xxxx xfingers
Jappy

MY DIARY - Jappy's Journey

6th time lucky. BFP 30.12.11 : D
twins confirmed 10.1.12 :faint:
Lost one twin at 9 weeks. So sad x
Baby James born 18.9.12 - Finally blessed : D

Reg: Jul 20th 2010

Children: 1

Friday, October 8th 2010, 7:39pm

Good Luck tomorrow Ruthie - will be thinking of you and have everything crossed for you. xx
[zx145] BonBon xxx (TTC 3 years, Male Factor,1st ICSI August 2010, BFP 16th September smile2 )

hjp

United Kingdom

Reg: Jul 2nd 2009

Children: Beautiful Jessica Mae x Holly and Elliot!

Friday, October 8th 2010, 7:47pm

Must be such a worrying time for you but please try and stay positive as your numbers are still increasing. I am sure the ARGC will look after you tomorrow. Keeping everything crossed for you x
3 X ICSI
Jessica Mae Duffety born sleeping on 9 January 2011 (21+2) - TS and HLHS
Holly and Elliot Duffety born on 16 October 2011 (25+6)
Natural Surprise - Matthew Evan Duffety born sleeping on 11 October 2013 (15+5)

Reg: Jul 3rd 2008

Children: 2 beautiful twin daughters :)

Friday, October 8th 2010, 8:28pm

Thinking of you Ruthie, I'm so sorry you're having these worries. I really, really hope you get some good news lovely :xxx3:

Moonshine

Ros

Megastar

Reg: Mar 14th 2008

Children: twin girls thanks to PGD!

Friday, October 8th 2010, 9:11pm

Fingers crossed for tomorrow hun, we're all behind you x

After 5 years of endo surgery, clomid, 2 x MM/C, 2 x ICSI cycles and 1 PGD cycle,
beautiful twin girls born 8th Feb 2010, we are so grateful

Reg: Feb 24th 2008

Children: 1 baby girl

Friday, October 8th 2010, 9:13pm

Oh Ruthie, I'm so sorry this is happening and you've got to head off to London. Will be thinking of you tomorrow. Lots of love xxx

2 ectopic pregnancies - 2005 & 2009
beautiful daughter born Sept 2010 thanks to IVF
IVF#3 April/May 2012 - BFN
IVF#4 in Oct/Nov 2012

MY DIARY

United Kingdom

Reg: Sep 30th 2009

Children: 9 year old son from previous relationship

Friday, October 8th 2010, 10:39pm

Thinking of you xxxx
Me 35, Hubby 36
9 year old son from previous relationship
Male Factor ICSI with EGG SHARE
ICSI (long cycle) OCT 09 - BFP but ended in chemical pregnancy :(
ICSI (short cycle) SEP 10 - BFN :-(

Australia

Reg: Aug 1st 2009

Children: Boy/Girl Twins - Feel blessed everday...

Saturday, October 9th 2010, 6:58am

Thinking of you. I have all my fingers and toes crossed for you. xxxxx
Rachel blowkiss

#1 ICSI Sept 09 - Chem preg
#2 ICSI Nov 09 - Chem preg
#3 ICSI May 10 - BFP: Twins!!! :girl: :boy:

gemmab

FORUM MENTOR

Reg: Feb 8th 2008

Children: 2 miracle icsi boys and 2 step kids.

What's Up?
Getting ready for another egg donation!!!

Saturday, October 9th 2010, 8:05am

Ruthie I am thinking of you today and praying everything will be ok.x

ICSI 1 Apr 08-m/c 9.5.8
FETJul 08-BFN
ICSI 2 Dec 08 (ES) -I'm a mummy Kaynan arrived 19.8.09! :heart:
ICSI 3 Dec 10 (ES) -BFN
FET Mar 11- BFP- M/C ;(
ICSI 4 (ES) -:BFP: 1.7.11 Cobi arrived 09.03.12 [zx160]
Egg donation Aug 2012 BFN for recipient- gutted
Egg donation Dec 2012 Recipient :BFP:
Egg donation 27.05.2013- not great - please pray for the recipient :dust:

Reg: Jul 28th 2009

Saturday, October 9th 2010, 10:12am

Got everything crossed for you today Ruthie. Good luck hunny. xxx
Mummy to Michael & Alice :boy: :girl: born 26/4/11 (2nd IVF/ICSI)
July 2012 natural :BFP: :sticky:

United Kingdom

Reg: Mar 26th 2010

Children: Hopefully I will have one soon!

Saturday, October 9th 2010, 10:45am

thinking of you and hope all goes well today!!! xxxx
1st IVF May 2010- :BFN:
SEPT/OCT 2010 :BFP: keep strong my little ones xxx bab21 bab22

hjp

United Kingdom

Reg: Jul 2nd 2009

Children: Beautiful Jessica Mae x Holly and Elliot!

Saturday, October 9th 2010, 10:47am

Hi there - hoping everything is okay xxx
3 X ICSI
Jessica Mae Duffety born sleeping on 9 January 2011 (21+2) - TS and HLHS
Holly and Elliot Duffety born on 16 October 2011 (25+6)
Natural Surprise - Matthew Evan Duffety born sleeping on 11 October 2013 (15+5)

Reg: Jun 4th 2009

Children: not my destiny

Saturday, October 9th 2010, 10:51am

good luck Ruthie xxxx
Dizzybird
Barts: IVF Jun 09 BFN, Create: ICSI Nov 09, Mar 10, Sep 10 - all BFN

BraveGirl

Superstar

Saturday, October 9th 2010, 10:54am

hi ruthie

hope you get some good news today, please let us know x
My Diary

gilly117

Superstar

Reg: Jun 27th 2012

Saturday, October 9th 2010, 11:08am

ruthie i hope you get good news today thinking of you glad you have a great firend with you for support

xxx

Reg: Feb 16th 2009

Children: Yes please

Saturday, October 9th 2010, 12:07pm

I'm praying for you Hun. X

3 IUI and 5 IVF :BFN:
What's the future?
MY DIARY

High NK and high PAI-1
On Metformin & Immune Cycle

ruthie

Superstar

Saturday, October 9th 2010, 4:52pm

Better news

Well after a very early start and a lot of waiting around I finally have this morning's betas which are 271. This is a doubling time from yesterday of 66 hours so back into the ball park of what they should be. Obviously overall they are still doubling slowly but it's better news than yesterday as at least things are still progressing. They are happy not to check them tomorrow so my next bloods are Mon. I'm staying in London as the progesterone result is more accurate at the lab up here so lovely friend is now driving home and I'm going to stay with another friend. With a bit of luck Tys can be with me on Mon for bloods depending on his work trip. So I'm not out of the woods but things are looking up.

Thanks for all your lovely messages girls- it means an awful lot.

Xxxxx

Saturday, October 9th 2010, 4:53pm

Ruthie - that's so good to hear.. I've been thinking about you all day..

Try and take it easy tomorrow and fingers crossed for Monday..

blowkiss

Reg: Jul 28th 2009

Saturday, October 9th 2010, 4:55pm

Oh Ruthie I can't tell you how happy I am that things are looking up. I've been worrying about you all day and checking latest posts every 5 minutes for your news. Lots of love and hugs and all the best for Monday.
Love Natalie xx
Mummy to Michael & Alice :boy: :girl: born 26/4/11 (2nd IVF/ICSI)
July 2012 natural :BFP: :sticky:

Verity

GLOBAL MODERATOR

United Kingdom

Reg: Apr 18th 2010

Children: One gorgeous boy

What's Up?
:)

Saturday, October 9th 2010, 5:06pm

So pleased to read this, keep strong xx

6 x IVF, 3 x FET
3 x MMC, 3 x :BFN:, 1 x failed thaw