You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Torisen

• "Torisen" started this thread

Reg: Jan 1st 2006

Monday, July 31st 2006, 10:11pm

Sleeping on the back

My ribs don't seem to cope with sleeping on my sides. I wake up at four thirty / five in the morning and have to either sit or stand for an hour or so (very annoying if I am really tired).
I can only do on the back thing but sleep pretty much in an upright position...

I know that I am supposed to sleep on my side to not restrict the bloodflow but my options are:
1, no sleep
2, on my back or
3, AGONY!!!!

Am I ok doing what I am doing, trying to get some sleep on my back...
ICSI Jan 2006 - BFP
MC one twin at 6 weeks
DS born in Oct 2006
BF DS 10 months 3 weeks and 5 days
FET 11/07, ICSI 12/07 (ABANDONED), ICSI 2/08, IUI 5/08 - BFN
Clomid IUI 7/08 BFP MC a twin... again :(

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Monday, July 31st 2006, 10:36pm

The problem is that lying on your back squashes the vein that carries blood around the lower portion of your body. It messes with your circulation, can make you dizzy and can put pressure on your intestine. The worrying thing is that if your circulation is compromised then your baby's oxygen supply is compromised.

Sleeping on your side is recommended, particularly your left side which increases the amount of blood your baby gets through the placenta.

Which parts of your body become painful when you sleep on your side?

EDITED TO ADD: Maybe if you lie on your back but prop a pillow under your right side, tipping you over slightly to the left, if you find that this gives you shoulder, chest or rib pain try holding a firmly stuffed pillow in between your arms to open up your chest.

TheZooKeeper

Unregistered

Tuesday, August 1st 2006, 7:48am

I can't lye on either of my sides - it's too painful, and lying on my back hurts too!! Can't win.

Bells - no-one has told me about the lack of oxygen to baby if you sleep on your back - I've not heard of this before.

Missy

Superstar

Reg: Oct 3rd 2005

Tuesday, August 1st 2006, 7:54am

I thought it was only if you was flat on your back that will put pressure on the vein?? ?( Its just you said you lie pretty upright anyway so there won't be that musch restriction to that vein, as Bells said see if you can tilt yourself to the left slightly. I had to sleep this way most of my pregnancy due to bad spd

4 baby angels, forever in our hearts

* CLICK *
TO SUPPORT FZ!

Missy

Superstar

Tuesday, August 1st 2006, 7:56am

Jenny, you are right no-one told me either, we should have been made aware of this by our mw. I found out after asking if it was ok to sleep on my tummy only to find out it would be more dangerous to lie on my back!!

xxx

4 baby angels, forever in our hearts

* CLICK *
TO SUPPORT FZ!

Reg: Feb 13th 2006

Tuesday, August 1st 2006, 7:59am

Bells is right its the Vena Cava (inferior) which is the major artery taking de-oxiginated blood from the lower body back to the heart.......lying on your back can compress that and reduce the corresponding blood flow out of the heart causing reduced blood to the head area and placenta resulting in stress to the baby and dizziness to you.

See below quote

The vena cava carries your blood supply back from your body to your heart. If this blood supply is reduced by lying on your back, then this may slow the flow of blood from the heart to other parts of the body (such as your lungs and brain, causing breathlessness and dizzy sensations). However, generally pregnant women need to lay quite flat on their back before the vena cava becomes compressed. Usually by lying on your right or left side, sitting in an upright position, or even in a semi-upright position will avoid vena-caval compression.

If the woman's blood flow to her heart is reduced, then her unborn baby may also receive less blood flow for a short period of time. This may occasionally be enough to cause the baby to be temporarily stressed and in perhaps open their bowels inside the uterus before the birth. A baby's first bowel motion is called 'meconium', and the medical term given to when a baby passes this before the birth is 'meconium stained liquor' (or 'MSL'). Meconium stained liquor becomes evident if the waters break around the time of labour and the amniotic fluid is stained a greenish colour. You can read more in meconium stained amniotic fluid.

As a general rule, you should try not to lie flat on your back for more than a few minutes at a time after about 24 to 28 weeks of the pregnancy. (Although ironically this is often what happens at your routine pregnancy visits, while your caregiver checks your pregnant belly!) Sleeping on your left or right side is best. However, it is possible to sleep somewhat on your back during the last few months of pregnancy. You can do this by placing a flattish pillow under the right side of your body. This slightly tilts your body off towards your left hand side, moving your uterus off the vena cava blood vessel to avoid compressing it.

HOpe that helps Wella

xx

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "tinkerbell" (Aug 1st 2006, 8:00am)

TheZooKeeper

Unregistered

Tuesday, August 1st 2006, 8:31am

I may as well not bother trying to sleep for the next 2 months then. I can't sleep on either side as it's too painful. When I wake up after lying on side I'm in agony even with countless cushions propping me up!

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "TheZooKeeper" (Aug 1st 2006, 8:32am)

Reg: Nov 14th 2005

Tuesday, August 1st 2006, 10:55am

i have heard about the no sleeping on your back biz .....

lying on my sides gives me a numb hip - but i find if i raise my knee up a little - support with a cushion and have my wedge i am ok ... the wedge is a god send it really does support the belly.

Torisen

Tuesday, August 1st 2006, 11:09am

I have tried sleeping on all 4... not that much fun!

Sleeping on my sides gives me pain on the inner side of the right shoulderblade and to the right of solar plexus in the front...

Am looking into getting a pieve of foam cut up for me to keep me at a sexy 45% angle whilst sleeping. Might have to include a seatbelt :)

Tried sleeping on my side again last night and the agony was not as bad...

Maybe we should invest in those tilting beds that raises your head and knees!??

XX
ICSI Jan 2006 - BFP
MC one twin at 6 weeks
DS born in Oct 2006

TheZooKeeper

Unregistered

Tuesday, August 1st 2006, 11:12am

I have pillows, cushions and a 50p flat cushion (for garden seats) from Ikea to support my bump - works sometimes but not all the time. I get frustrated and just want to be able to sleep all the way through the night!!!! ;(

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "TheZooKeeper" (Aug 1st 2006, 11:12am)

Torisen

Tuesday, August 1st 2006, 11:14am

Jenny, I am sure that in 12 years time you will have a good nights sleep... and then you will stop sleeping again in 14-15 years time when you are wondering where your child is! :)
ICSI Jan 2006 - BFP
MC one twin at 6 weeks
DS born in Oct 2006

Tuesday, August 1st 2006, 11:38am

even after nearly 7 years with my DS it doenst get any better !! .. he sometimes sleeps ok ... but any little sound in the house - i am awake ... he often nips into my room either for a cuddle in bed or to nick my drink ...... we had a few months of night terrors too a little while back ...... another 7 years i will be waiting up for him to come home ...... and then when my little miss starts going out .... oh my days .... !!!!

Mel

Reg: May 10th 2006

Monday, August 14th 2006, 10:56pm

Am really worried now :(! I know that I should be sleeping on my side (preferably left) but I keep waking up on my back. It doesn't seem to matter how many pillows I prop around me but everytime, without fail when I go on my many loo visits, I'm on my back - and I'm sooooooooo comfy there! Any suggestions as to how the hell I keep on my side in my sleep?

Tuesday, August 15th 2006, 4:36am

Mel you arwe fine at mo....dont need to worry till post 28 weeks anyway.....try propping yourself so that you arent flat on your back...that will push babies pressure slightly down rather than full oin the vena cava.

I sleep in a little tomb of pilows!!

Tuesday, August 15th 2006, 9:01am

i often go to sleep on my sides and wake up on my back. but being propped up must be better than flat on your back.

If Jen & co havent been told about it by the m/w - then it cant really be a major issue, can it ?
i havent been advised of this either - i just happen to read it.

mrsjasper

Megastar

Reg: Nov 2nd 2005

Children: 2 gorgeous girls

Tuesday, August 15th 2006, 9:10am

I've found I'm not comfortable on my back now anyway, I think the weight of the baby pressing on my inferior vena cava is cutting off the blood supply to my own legs so I can't lie like that for very long. I think that must be some kind of protective thingy so that the baby isn't affected, so I expect when it needs to be, it will be the same for you.

Does any of that waffling make sense?

Tuesday, August 15th 2006, 4:16pm

oooh Mrs J waffles.....hot with icecream.......and fruit...or CHOCCY

now you know it doesnt matter where you post you always bring it round to food!!!!!

Errm or is that me????

xxxxx

mrsjasper

Megastar

Tuesday, August 15th 2006, 4:20pm

Erm, Tink, I think its you honey.

(mmm honey, on toast or indeed on ice cream...)

Tuesday, August 15th 2006, 4:39pm

You're right Mrs J...its me ...Im a BAD BAD TInkerbell.......

Wednesday, August 16th 2006, 8:59am

after my antenatel last night ... the left side is reccommended to sleep on as this keeps the baby in the right position !

From experience i know how difficult a back-to-back bady is to deliver !
i have the scar to prove it !!! 8o

Wednesday, August 16th 2006, 10:14am

I now cannot sleep because my hips are so sore - anyone lese suffering like this?

Still only 25 days left (we hope)!!

x
PCOS. Ovarian drilling October 2005
Amazing BFP January 2006!!!!!!!!!!
2nd BFP natural!!!! - due Dec 2008!

[/url[url=http://tickers.families.com]

Wednesday, August 16th 2006, 10:25am

to a certain degree i am - i get a back ache from sitting more at the mo. when i stand up i am a stiff as hell until i get going.
once i am in bed and proped and padded - i can get off to sleep.

Reg: Apr 4th 2006

Children: Connor 8, Freya 4, Harri and Rhys 3

Wednesday, August 16th 2006, 10:34am

I'm up most nights 3-4 times with my hips and I feel as if I am that big I have to wake up to turn!!

If I lie on my back I get the feeling as if I was drunk...........room spinning (I wish).

Well I suppose we all better get used to it, cause when our little darlings arrive we will be up more than this!!

Karenxx

3 Baby Angels

Wednesday, August 16th 2006, 11:09am

some of you ladies are further gone than i - so i am thinking i am getting off lightly but that might not be the case !!!

mrsjasper

Megastar

Wednesday, August 16th 2006, 11:24am

Quoted

Originally posted by kaza123

If I lie on my back I get the feeling as if I was drunk...........room spinning (I wish).

Kaza, is your blood pressure OK? Its worth mentioning this to your midwife when you see her.

Wednesday, August 16th 2006, 3:58pm

Kaza......that sounds just like baby is squashing your inferior vena cava....thats why they say not to lie on our back too..........I d still mention it to your midwife like Mrs J says tho

Wednesday, August 16th 2006, 5:27pm

Thanks girls, my BP is spot on my DH has to check it everyday, because I had pre-eclampsia last time, and there is a big family history of pre-eclampsia, my mum had a fit and lost my brother at 36 weeks, as did my auntie.

It is my inferior vena cava, I avoid lying on my back, but when I do thats when the room spins!!

Karenxx

3 Baby Angels

• "1xbaby pls" is no longer a member of FZ

Wednesday, August 16th 2006, 5:28pm

I get sore hips......thought it might just be me its been doing my head in. Feels like when you fall asleep on your arm and then remove pressuse Owwwwwwwwww. And also when i first go to bed the base of my spine aches like mad like all the weights lifted and the feelings returning.

Boo Hoooooooooooooo I need my sleep, ive even kicked dp into spare room so i can twist and turn, huff and puff and not worry out waking him.

Let me know if you hear of miricle cure.

x x x
1st go ICSI - @ royal shewsbury and Telford NHS funded
25 eggs collected 27/3/06
15 fertilized - 8 grade A - 2 transfered 30th/3
test date - Thursday 13th April, BFP :D :D :D
:baby: ITS TWINS :baby:
M.L & J.F - Born 9/11/06 6w prem (6lb 5oz & 4lb 10oz)

Wednesday, August 16th 2006, 5:47pm

I know the cure.....................give birth!!!

I so carn't wait to sleep on my tum again, but then again if your BF you get squased sore boobs!!!

And we wanted all of this!!! 8o

It will be worth it in the end!!

Karenxx

3 Baby Angels

Thursday, August 17th 2006, 10:59am

and some do it more than once !!!!

Bagpuss

• "Bagpuss" is no longer a member of FZ

Reg: Sep 27th 2005

Thursday, August 17th 2006, 11:24am

I'd love to do it all again but if you'd asked me in the 1st 2 weeks I would have told you absolutely no way :P

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Saturday, August 19th 2006, 1:00pm

I suffered with hip and chest pain when I slept on my side. I slept with a pillow between my legs (not just knees, from crotch to feet) and I hugged another pillow to my chest to support my upper arm and stop me rolling forward. You get used to moving less to accomodate the pillows and you get used to repositioning them throughout the night.

At one point in late pregnancy I arranged duvets and pillows on the bed in such a way that I could lie on my front for a few minutes :D Soon got fed up of that!

I still sleep with the pillows as above :O

Saturday, August 19th 2006, 11:14pm

what about rib pain...... I wake with pain (like burning sensation or bra on too tight round rib cage) under boobs right in middle.

its really sore!!!!!!

Torisen

Sunday, August 20th 2006, 6:10pm

I got miracle cure!
Went to matress cutting place (foam shop) and told them that I wanted a huge wedge.
It needed to be 15 cm wider than my shoulders and a gentle slope but still very high.
Came back two days later and there was the answer to all my prayers! My own personalised sleeping wedge!
It allows me to change position quickly during the night. I don't have to spend ages piling up cushions against walls and it also allowes me to sleep sitting up whilst camping (oh yes!)
ICSI Jan 2006 - BFP
MC one twin at 6 weeks
DS born in Oct 2006

Monday, August 21st 2006, 9:23am

My left ear hurts from sleeping on my left side!
PCOS. Ovarian drilling October 2005
Amazing BFP January 2006!!!!!!!!!!
2nd BFP natural!!!! - due Dec 2008!

[/url[url=http://tickers.families.com]

Monday, August 21st 2006, 9:29pm

Last night i slept 11 - 1am woke for loo, then slept till 3am and hav been awake ever since was so frustrated at 5am i was bawling my eyes out.

Had to leave work half day couldnt focus on pc and kept miss spelling amounts on chq's

Praying tonight is better.

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE