You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "JoJo1974" started this thread

Reg: Sep 26th 2009

Children: Herts&Essex

Wednesday, July 21st 2010, 9:28am

When to finish work

Hello everyone

I am currently 24 weeks pregnant with twins and my due date based on 37 weeks is 18th October (40 weeks is 8th November) I have to commute to work by train 45 minutes each way plus 10 minute walk so not too bad and I always get a seat. My job is in an office so not much moving around once I am at work and it's not too stressful.

My question is when to stop work :mmmmmm

Does anyone have any plans when to stop - advice would be appreciated
Jo
IVF Sept/Oct 2009 - BFP but then chemical pregnancy :bawl:

IVF Jan/Feb 2010 - :BFP: twins bab11 bab11

Reg: Jun 16th 2009

Children: twin girls

Wednesday, July 21st 2010, 9:38am

I am a nurse and my consultant advised me to stop aroung 25 weeks due to demanding job and on my feet a lot. You can work as long as you feel able and not too tired or high blood pressure. I had to go off just after 20 weeks as felt exhausted I had a few weeks sick. 6 weeks hols and ML starts at 31 weeks so not so bad. Well done on still working but don't overdo it x

Kirstin's Parenting Diary

Jan 09 Icsi BFN May 09 Fet BFN Sept 09 Icsi BFN Jan 10 :BFP:
:girl: :girl: c-section 13/09/10

Bry

Star

Reg: Mar 25th 2009

Children: Twins born in may 2010!

Wednesday, July 21st 2010, 9:45am

Hi Jo

I was pretty determined to work until 32 weeks but had to stop a week early in the end. Just as well cos they were born 3 weeks later! I am a teacher and have a very lively class of 30 4 yaer olds so just couldn't keep up with them in the end! I would say make plans but be flexible as you never know how you'll feel till you get there...

My Diary - Bry and the Flumps!

1st IVF March 09 :BFP: mm/c at 9 weeks :bawl:
2nd IVF Oct 09 :BFP: [zx076] [zx076]

• "bouncytigger" is no longer a member of FZ

Reg: Mar 9th 2008

Wednesday, July 21st 2010, 9:47am

I'm trying to go as late as possible just so I have as much leave / pay the other side of the birth.. but I have a lot of leave to use up..
ICSI number 5 - BFP!! :boy: :girl: arrived December 2010

Wednesday, July 21st 2010, 10:11am

Thanks for the replies.

I would like a few weeks of doing nothing before the chaos which is to be the rest of our lives begins :teehee: so I will see how I go
Jo

RosB

Ace

Reg: Sep 23rd 2009

Children: Twin boys conceived on 3rd ICSI attempt

Wednesday, July 21st 2010, 7:07pm

Hey JoJo

I think our due dates are almost the same (EDD is 4th Nov). I am planning to officially start my maternity leave on the 1st Oct (babies will probably arrive mid Oct, same as you) but also take a couple of weeks annual leave beforehand. My work have also said that I can work from home for 2-3 weeks before this so really I won't be going into work much after the end of August. I am feeling fine at the moment but completely aware how tiring it will get and even a desk job will be too much in the later stages.

Reg: Mar 17th 2008

Children: Twins!

Thursday, July 22nd 2010, 2:53pm

Hi Jojo

My original plans were to work until 32 weeks, take 6 weeks holiday and start maternity at 38 weeks.
That all went out of the window when I developed SPD at 16 weeks and found it really difficult to move around and sitting at my desk for long periods of time left me with really bad backache. I ended up taking a couple of periods of sick leave, which meant that I actually finished work at around 29 weeks.

Listen to your body and do what you feel is best. After all, twins are hard work and you really need to put the babies as your first priority.

Take care!
* Emma * :smile:
TTC 8 yrs PCOS - Clomidx10 - IVFx3
Nov 2009 Last try: Short protocol ICSI - wonderful BFP!!! -
TWINS!!
: D

Germany

Reg: Nov 12th 2007

Children: Twin boys born April '10 thanks to ICSI

Thursday, July 22nd 2010, 3:33pm

Hi JoJo, I stopped work at about 31.5 weeks as I wanted to be sure that I had a few weeks to myself first. I worked from home at a desk, so it was just about as easy as you can get really but I was really glad to stop when I did as sitting at the desk was getting very uncomfortable and it was also the worst thing for my swollen feet. I was looking forward to 'me' time and going out and about, but I was so huge that I mostly just sat on the sofa and watched TV, except when I had to waddle along to a Dr's appointment!

4x IUI
Mar 08 IVF BFN
Jun 08 ICSI BFN
Sep 08 ICSI BFN
Oct 08 FET BFN
Apr 09 ICSI brief BFP
Aug 09 ICSI :BFP:

Me 40, DH 38

Our dream came true,

Lukas and Finn were born 13/04/10 at 36w6d biggrin2
My diary

Algeria

Reg: Jul 13th 2009

Children: Twin girls, Summer & Grace. Grace was stillborn

Monday, July 26th 2010, 1:25pm

Hi,

I am a mobile dog groomer and 23 weeks at the moment. I plan to finish 26/27 weeks due to being an active job. Plus cannot really bend over baths and showers to wash the dogs very well! I think it is best to finish earlier if you can to do things for you and get last minute jobs done before you get so big you cannot to much!

Reg: Jul 17th 2007

Tuesday, July 27th 2010, 8:35pm

I stopped work at 31 weeks, which i must admit was delighted about. I thought i'd give myself loads of time to myself and get ready for everything.

I live up north but work in London but was thankful that i was able to work from home every 2nd week really. It was a stressful time before i left

but did manage to stay up until the day i wanted.

I had 3 weeks holiday to take and then maternity would kick in... My holiday was finishing on Monday 1st June. I gave birth on the 29th May. Perfect

timing and couldnt have asked for any better.

Listen to your body. It really will tell you what you're able for. I know everyone says it, but get as much sleep and rest in as possible. It will be good

for you i promise.

Good luck ....

x
me 38 DH 45 - unexplained infertility and ttc for 4 years ,Mar 07 -Missed m/c
4 attempts at Clomid - BFN (Jun , Jul, Aug, and Nov 07)

Apr 08 - ICSI - BFN
Oct 08 - ICSI - BFP

Baby boys born on 29-May-09

Hyacinth

Reg: May 6th 2008

Children: Twin girls born May 2010

Wednesday, August 4th 2010, 4:53pm

I am nurse on a very busy, short staffed area and finished at 26 weeks as everytime I went to antenatal I was being sent to the maternity ward for BP profiling, and i thought after everything we'd been through to get pregnant and get this far along it was'nt worth me putting myself at risk so took annual leave then started mat leave at 33 weeks which was'nt bad timing as twins were born at 32 plus 5. I think it just depends on how you are in yourself and the type of environment you work in. x
Me: PCOS DH: SA normal

Oct 08 - March 09 = 6x cycles of Clomid all :BFN:

started Ovulation Induction

June 09:Menapur 75 and Pregnyl - :BFN:

July 09: Menapur 150 and Pregnyl - :BFN:
Oct 2009 :Menapur 150 + 225 and Pregnyl - :BFP: :girl: :girl:

Thursday, August 5th 2010, 9:04am

Thanks for all your replies.

I have filled in my forms to finish Friday 17th September then one weeks annual leave then maternity to start 27th September - I will be 34 weeks by then so will probably be rolling rather walking by then!!

Claire_A I am also suffering with swollen feet and sitting at my desk all day is no good for it I know - It looks so attractive!!!!

So 6 weeks tomorrow I finish I can't believe this happening at last it seems to have taken forever to get to this point but when I say I will be finished work in 6 weeks it makes it so real at long last.

Jo

xxxx
Jo

Reg: Jun 10th 2009

Children: Two perfect 3yr olds

Thursday, September 2nd 2010, 2:17pm

Starting Maternity Leave

Hopefully some of you wonderful multiples mums or mums-to-be can help me with my query.

When did you/or intend to start maternity leave? I have really started to feel tired this week (26 to 27wks) and very heavy and wonder if I have made a terrible mistake telling my employer that I will be working up to 35wks.

Any guidance and thoughts gratefully received.

Jan

Jannie
Aug 09 - IUI - BFN
; Oct 09 - ICSI - BFN; Jan 10 - ICSI cancelled;
DICSI in Valencia Mar10 :BFP:
Jannie's Diary
Oscar and Emilia born 8th November 2010

Bry

Star

Reg: Mar 25th 2009

Children: Twins born in may 2010!

Thursday, September 2nd 2010, 3:21pm

Hi lovely lady :D

I planned to work up to 32 weeks as I have a fairly busy and hectic job teachng 30 little ones! In the end I stopped a week early cos I just couldn't carry on. I'm sure there is flexibility in maternity leave and if you need to you will have to stop earlier hon. :hugs:

My Diary - Bry and the Flumps!

1st IVF March 09 :BFP: mm/c at 9 weeks :bawl:
2nd IVF Oct 09 :BFP: [zx076] [zx076]

Reg: Jun 16th 2009

Children: twin girls

Thursday, September 2nd 2010, 3:46pm

Jannie I am sure you are tired. As I am a nurse my consultant didn't want me working any longer than 25 weeks but I ended up going off sick at 21 weeks for 4 weeks then I had 6 weeks hols and maternity leave started at 31 weeks. I was just so tired which made me sick and I was so scared of going into premature labour. Carrying twins especially at our age is a struggle and you must look after yourself and put you and bomb - bomb first x

Kirstin's Parenting Diary

Jan 09 Icsi BFN May 09 Fet BFN Sept 09 Icsi BFN Jan 10 :BFP:
:girl: :girl: c-section 13/09/10

RosB

Ace

Reg: Sep 23rd 2009

Children: Twin boys conceived on 3rd ICSI attempt

Thursday, September 2nd 2010, 6:39pm

Hey Jannie

I think it depends on how easy your job is, whether you have a stressful commute, if you could work at home... I have really felt the difference since turning 30 weeks and am counting down the days now until my maternity leave starts in 2 weeks time. I have planned to go on leave from 33 weeks and am spending quite a bit of time in the next couple of weeks working at home to make things easier. I think working until 35 weeks may be a bit optimistic - could you use any annual leave to finish a bit earlier?

United Kingdom

Reg: Dec 22nd 2008

Children: Beautiful twin daughters and two grown up stepdaughters

Thursday, September 2nd 2010, 10:12pm

I planned to start maternity leave at 32 weeks. In the end I worked until 32 + 3 and I gave birth at 33 weeks. I really struggled the last few weeks and I wish with all my heart that I had taken it easier from 28 weeks so that my beautiful girls would not have had to struggle in their first few weeks when they should have been snuggled up inside me. Your body will tell you when you need to stop (I ignored mine) and don't worry about upsetting work as your LOs are much more important.
Newly Wed

ICSI December 2008 - chemical pregnancy
ICSI May 2009 - BFN
FET September 2009 - BFP
Beautiful twin girls born 30 April 2010

Reg: Jun 10th 2009

Children: Two perfect 3yr olds

Friday, September 3rd 2010, 8:35am

Thank you ladies, I think you are right, I just need to listen to my body and give up earlier if need be. I am in the process of recruiting my temporary replacement, so as soon as they are in situ I will feel far more confident about leaving.

I think in the back of my mind I am worried about 'living off my partner' because I have always been independent financially and am worried about not earning my own money for a while, but I should put this worry out of my mind, because I have a very busy job ahead of me and I doubt money will even enter my mind when the LO arrive. Being in as good a health as possible when the twins arrive, is far more important that pushing myself in a silly job.

thank you again.
Jan
xx

Jannie
Aug 09 - IUI - BFN
; Oct 09 - ICSI - BFN; Jan 10 - ICSI cancelled;
DICSI in Valencia Mar10 :BFP:
Jannie's Diary
Oscar and Emilia born 8th November 2010

dheron19

Reg: Sep 12th 2010

Sunday, September 12th 2010, 9:05pm

Same dates exactly as you - Jo Jo

happydance Hi Jo Jo,

My dates are exactly the same as yours. My due date is also 8th Nov and they have booked me in for CS on 37 weeks 18th Oct. I am having indentical twin boys and one of them possible has a heart problem, so have to deliver at St Thomas.

I am still working full-time and will be this week but will be going part-time as from the following week. Will find out tomorrow how much holiday I have left and will also give them a different finish date - earlier (as optimistic and put down 8th Oct), as they may change my CS date to 11th Oct. :thumbsup2: Only wanted to go as long as possible, to have more time after birth. You must be excited now as you, finish work this Friday.

dheron19

Reg: Sep 12th 2010

Sunday, September 12th 2010, 9:39pm

Hi Jan,

You sound like me, I planned to stop at over 35 weeks (far too optimistic). Now have been booked me in for CS at 37 weeks but they may change to 36 weeks.

I will be still working full-time this week but will be going part-time as from next week. Will find out tomorrow how much holiday I have left and will also give them a different finish date - definately earlier than 35 weeks.

Regards

xx

:goodluck:

Monday, September 13th 2010, 4:06pm

Hi dheron - I actually finished a week ago as the doc signed me off as I have really bad swollen ankles and feet. So on 3 weeks sick leave then maternity starts 27th September. My bottom twin is currently breech so at the moment I am c section which they said they would do around the 37 weeks mark. Got another scan next week (33 weeks) to see if they have moved. I didn't want a c section at first but I have been watching loads of baby programmes and watching people go through labour and to be honest it scares the living daylights out of me!!!!

Hope you are well xxx
Jo

Reg: Sep 21st 2009

Children: one step daughter, very proud Mummy to Maisy and Oliver

Wednesday, February 16th 2011, 4:31pm

When to start maternity leave?

Hi all.

I wanted your advice really on when to start maternity leave? I am 27 weeks pregnant with twins and work as a Care Assistant which can at times be quite physical, although my shifts are only 5 hours long! I had originally said I would work up to 32(ish) weeks assuming the twins arrive at 37 weeks. BUT just this last week I have been feeling really tired and uncomfortable, I also get a really sharp pain - like a stitch in my left side which gets worse if I don't rest. I know I am answering my own question here really!!! But would be grateful for any advice from twin Mums who have been through this or other PG twin Mums in a similar situation!? xx
Very happy Mummy to Maisy & Oliver - bring on the fun!

SAZZLE

Reg: Apr 4th 2009

Wednesday, February 16th 2011, 4:45pm

Hi Sazzle, I'd listen to your body: if you're starting to get very tired perhaps it's time to put your feet up and go on leave? I'm pregnant with twins and have been given different advice by different midwives. Some have said that most twin mothers give up at around 28 weeks, whilst others have said, if you're feeling fine then carry on for as long as you like. I guess as well if your job is quite physical this will make a big difference. I'm about 33 weeks now and suddenly, around 31 weeks, I started feeling very tired. I'd said I'd carry on as long as possible but the weight of the babies and all the minor pregnancy symptoms were making it very difficult for me to work. I've been lucky because my employers have been really supportive but I'm looking forward to finishing in the next few days!

One issue for me was the pay, of course.

Good luck with the last few weeks or so! Cathy xxx :cuddle
Cathy

Reg: Nov 3rd 2009

Thursday, February 17th 2011, 2:48pm

Hi Saz,

Initially I thought that I would work up to 32 weeks, but over the last couple weeks I am just far too tired and have realised that I will not be able to do this, especially with my long commute to London every day. I've now decided to leave on the 10th March (30 weeks). I know everyone keeps saying this, but you should do what's best for you and listen to your body. Some Mums like to work as late as possible so that they have more time with the babies on the other side, but it really depends on how you feel.

:xxx3:

ME - 32 DH - 31
Male Factor Infertility
1st ICSI Feb 10 - BFN
2nd ICSI Aug 10 - BFP :D [zx076] [zx076] It's Twins! bab10 bab10 c-section booked for 3rd May!

Nicci's Diary

Mr C

United Kingdom

Reg: Sep 30th 2008

Children: Blessed with NonId Twin Girls!

Thursday, February 17th 2011, 3:05pm

Mrs C worked until 33w, but had the last 2weeks as WFH... not something you can do as a Care Assistant really.
Our Diary
ISCI 1 - Mar/Apr 2009 - :BFN: ICSI 2 - Dec/Jan 2010 - :BFN: ISCI 3 - Mar/Apr 2010 - :BFP:
Our twin girls were born at 38 weeks on 21st December 2010. Feeling very blessed.

Reg: Mar 27th 2009

Children: Two the way!

Saturday, April 2nd 2011, 7:08pm

When did you start maternity leave?

Hi twin mum's, can I ask when you stopped working and started maternity leave? I'm hoping to work until 33 weeks but not sure if I'm being unrealistic?
[zx076] [zx076] seen at 6w5d scan
IT'S TWINS!!!!!
TTC 5 years
Ist IVF APR 2009 - BFN
2nd IVF with ICSI SEP 2009 - BFN
3rd IVF with ICSI Dec 2010 - :BFP:
2008 - 6 x cycles of clomid all BFN

Reg: Mar 14th 2008

Children: Logan James born 24-12-2008

Saturday, April 2nd 2011, 7:25pm

Hiya ella Bella how r u ? Iv been reading up on this on here also and it seems most women work to the latest 30 wks, I remember from my ds I worked to 35 wks and don't think I would have been able to work any later, I have have work my 30 wk date as being the start of my anual leave then Il go straight into maternity, I don't no how u r now not I'm feeling really exhausted all the time I hope its just a phase or I think theres any way Il even make it working to 30 wks x
1st ICSI- Mar/Apr08 :BFP:
Logan James born 24-12-08 smile2
3rd ICSI December :BFP: :heart: :heart: seen at 7 wks

Reg: Dec 16th 2008

Children: No

Monday, April 4th 2011, 12:06pm

Hi I worked until I was 36 weeks and my two babas arrived by C-section at 38, I was determind that I wanted more time off when my babas arrived than I did sat around the house! It also depends on your job I work in an office so not to taxing really.

TTC 10 Years Finally got to ICSI No1 Jan 09 :BFN:
ICSI No 2 Aug 09 :BFP:
Two lovely little girls born by planned c-section 27/04/10 at 38 weeks
Isabelle 6lb 2oz bab10 & Amber 6lb 8oz bab10