You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "kirstin" started this thread

Reg: Jun 16th 2009

Children: twin girls

Thursday, August 19th 2010, 7:33pm

What size of clothes for twins in hosp ?

After packing my bag for hosp I have only packed tiny baby clothes. I had a scan today at 34w 3d and twin 1 weighs 5lb 5oz and twin 2 weighs 5lb 9oz.
If I last to 38 weeks will I need newborn instead ? A lot of tiny baby is for 6lb and 0-3 months looks massive. What did all you twin mummies do ? I know the weights are only approx but I really want clothes to fit but don't want to bring too much. I would appreciate your thoughts.

Kirstin's Parenting Diary

Jan 09 Icsi BFN May 09 Fet BFN Sept 09 Icsi BFN Jan 10 :BFP:
:girl: :girl: c-section 13/09/10

Mavis

United Kingdom

Reg: Sep 15th 2008

What's Up?
I need sleep!

Thursday, August 19th 2010, 7:41pm

Hi Kirstin - what lovely weights already, well done you!
I'd still pack tiny baby clothes, and don't be surprised if your babies are a bit smaller than the estimated weights (its extra hard to estimate in twinnies).
My Mavettes both fell within the normal weight category (born at 38 weeks) but wore early baby clothes for the first month, the newborn stuff was a bit baggy and made the girls look scrawny when they weren't that scrawny really.
But do leave out all the things you think you might need, like bigger clothes, in a place where your DH can find them to bring them in to you.
Have you decided what the "first outfit" will be yet? That was one of my fave decisions :-)
M
x

My Diary
10 years, 5 cycles, and 3 beautiful children.
My family is complete :heart: :heart: :heart:

csam

Star

United Kingdom

Thursday, August 19th 2010, 8:05pm

Hiya

I found the sizes a bit random also,my 3 month old DD is still in age up to 1 month clothes! I just packed early baby vests and sleepsuits.In fact they wore sleepsuits for the first month,and then 'proper' clothes after that. We also bought in hospital some lovely hand knitted prem cardigans,think the proceeds went to the SCBU.

xxxxxx

• "kirstin" started this thread

Reg: Jun 16th 2009

Children: twin girls

Thursday, August 19th 2010, 8:08pm

Thanks Mavis I have chosen white baby-gros with pink love hearts on them. Very cute.

Csam that is good to know I too only want them to wear sleepsuits for comfort. Definately no denim.

Kirstin's Parenting Diary

Jan 09 Icsi BFN May 09 Fet BFN Sept 09 Icsi BFN Jan 10 :BFP:
:girl: :girl: c-section 13/09/10

csam

Star

United Kingdom

Thursday, August 19th 2010, 8:24pm

The sleepsuits sound lovely Kirstin,you must be getting so excited!

A few people have said to me even now that they can't belive I get them dressed in day clothes,they said they'd leave them in sleepsuits all day if they had twins!

I was in hopsital for quite a while and did get through quite a few vests and babygro's,what with changing tiny wriggly babies who seemed to wee or poo all over their clothes or be sick etc.1 day DS went through 7 babygro's ! As my DH was at the hospital most of the time or looking after my 2 year old my mum washed them through so I always had enough.

xxxxxx

Mavis

United Kingdom

Reg: Sep 15th 2008

What's Up?
I need sleep!

Friday, August 20th 2010, 7:31am

A few people have said to me even now that they can't belive I get them dressed in day clothes,they said they'd leave them in sleepsuits all day if they had twins!

The thought of putting them into proper clothes didn't even occur to me!
I only thought of it after all our NCT babies met up. The Mavettes looked the youngest, even though they were the heaviest, and I couldn't figure out why. And then I realised it was because they were the only one still in sleepsuits!

I must admit even now (7 months) we save proper clothes for special outings. Otherwise they are just bunged in vests.

Kirstin - the sleepsuits sound perfect! :heart:

My Diary
10 years, 5 cycles, and 3 beautiful children.
My family is complete :heart: :heart: :heart:

Germany

Reg: Nov 12th 2007

Children: Twin boys born April '10 thanks to ICSI

Monday, August 23rd 2010, 9:32am

I dress my twins every day! Only nice soft clothes though. I got some jeans because i thought they looked so cute, but they have never worn them because they look far too uncomfortable. When they were born, Lukas wore some tiny baby clothes and Finn early baby (Lukas was 5 1/2 lb, Finn 6lb ) that is tesco names for the sizes. They didn't go into newborn for a few weeks but they grow so fast!

4x IUI
Mar 08 IVF BFN
Jun 08 ICSI BFN
Sep 08 ICSI BFN
Oct 08 FET BFN
Apr 09 ICSI brief BFP
Aug 09 ICSI :BFP:

Me 40, DH 38

Our dream came true,

Lukas and Finn were born 13/04/10 at 36w6d biggrin2
My diary

Duffymoon

Megastar

Reg: Jun 11th 2007

Children: Boy/girl twins born 2010

Monday, August 23rd 2010, 9:36am

Hi Kirstin

Sounds like you have good sized twins in there! Nice to have ones similar sizes too! I think at my last scan (36 weeks) they had twin 2 (my baby girl) much bigger than twin 1 but they turned out the other way around (by nearly one pound!) I think it's fair to say yours will be over 5lbs if they stay in there for the duration and that will give them a great start.

Like Csam i foudn the sizing of clothes a bit random. The most accurate (I think!) are Boots clothes. The biggest definitely M&S! Mine were easily into M&S's 5lb sleepsuits for ages!

Your babies will probably lose a bit of weight in the days after the birth so even if they are good birth weights, they might shrink a bit!! Any outfits under 7lbs should be fine and like Mavis said, perhaps have options either way that your DH can get for you. Same really goes for nappies too.

You must be getting excited now!!

xxx

p.s. mine definitely lived in babygros for weeks, even for outings in the early days. I'd put body suits (short sleeve/no legs) underneath for extra warmth when they were tiny.
p.p.s also if you buy sleepsuits with the fold over handcovers, they are brilliant! but if they don't have them, do get some scratch mitts to put on, Jasper gave himself such a scratch in the first few days, you can still see the scar now!

4 x ICSI BFN
5th time :BFP:
:boy: :girl: