You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "aramass" started this thread

Reg: May 9th 2009

Monday, August 2nd 2010, 4:44pm

Nuchal Scan for twins

Hello

I've just got back from my NT scan. I thought that for twins they only gave you the scan as it is a blood test for twins is too unreliable. Anyway, they did do the blood test. I was quite happy to just have the scan, especially as it showed everything as normal. I'm worried I'm going to be anxiously waiting for results that may not even be reliable. Did anyone else have the blood test with twins? Is it true that the blood test could change everything despite the nuchal folds being normal?

Thank you!
Me: 37 Him: 42
Unexplained
IVF May 2010
:BFP: 10th June.
[zx076] [zx076]

my diary

csam

Star

United Kingdom

Monday, August 2nd 2010, 8:37pm

Hiya

Congrats on your twins.

I had the blood test done as well,and like you was unsure of how reliable it would be it,but they still said it was worth doing.My scan was fine,although there was quite a big difference between the 2 twins,I say 'big',but obviously the measurements are tiny really as they are in mm,I was told that the scan results were fine. When I got the combined results back there was a big difference in the results but both still in 'normal' ranges.The results seem to make sense given the difference in measurements.

I am sure if they thought there was a problem they would have said so at the sacn,as after all I'm sure many people with twins only have the scan as a stand alone test.

Good luck and try not to worry

xxxxx

Australia

Reg: Aug 1st 2009

Children: Boy/Girl Twins - Feel blessed everday...

Wednesday, August 4th 2010, 12:11pm

Hi!

I have my scan tomorrow. Had the bloods taken a week ago. Personally, I'm just going to go by the scan. I've read everywhere that the bloods don't really count with twins. And it may just make me worry. I'll let you know how I get on. xxxxxxxxx
Rachel blowkiss

#1 ICSI Sept 09 - Chem preg
#2 ICSI Nov 09 - Chem preg
#3 ICSI May 10 - BFP: Twins!!! :girl: :boy:

Mavis

United Kingdom

Reg: Sep 15th 2008

What's Up?
I need sleep!

Wednesday, August 4th 2010, 10:35pm

With one baby, when the risk is calculated they take into account the age of the eggs, the scan result, and the blood test. In this calculation, the scan result is given more weight than the blood test because the scan result (when done properly) is more useful than the blood test. This is even more true for two babies.

So if I was in your shoes, I'd be over the moon with having a great scan :-)
M
x

My Diary
10 years, 5 cycles, and 3 beautiful children.
My family is complete :heart: :heart: :heart:

Australia

Reg: Aug 1st 2009

Children: Boy/Girl Twins - Feel blessed everday...

Saturday, August 7th 2010, 12:15pm

Everything was perfect with our scan. The blood tests actually made the results alot better - which I didn't expect. Twin A 1:2000's (can't remember exact number) Twin B 1:6000's. So we were very happy with that. They also guessed the sex of them - but will find out for sure later. Guessed a boy and girl. YIPEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Rachel blowkiss

#1 ICSI Sept 09 - Chem preg
#2 ICSI Nov 09 - Chem preg
#3 ICSI May 10 - BFP: Twins!!! :girl: :boy:

• "aramass" started this thread

Reg: May 9th 2009

Monday, August 9th 2010, 6:26am

Thanks ladies, you've put my mind at rest. x
Me: 37 Him: 42
Unexplained
IVF May 2010
:BFP: 10th June.
[zx076] [zx076]

my diary

Germany

Reg: Nov 12th 2007

Children: Twin boys born April '10 thanks to ICSI

Monday, August 9th 2010, 1:53pm

Hi Aramass, when I had my NT scan done, I had already had the blood test done, but then the Dr who did the scan didn't use it as he said that it was too unreliable for twins. My results weren't as great as some people's, 1:350 and 1:400, but the Doc was happy and I figured that most of the reason for those results was my age being factored in. Anyway, I am now the happy 'owner' of 2 perfectly healthy almost 4 month old gorgeous boys.

4x IUI
Mar 08 IVF BFN
Jun 08 ICSI BFN
Sep 08 ICSI BFN
Oct 08 FET BFN
Apr 09 ICSI brief BFP
Aug 09 ICSI :BFP:

Me 40, DH 38

Our dream came true,

Lukas and Finn were born 13/04/10 at 36w6d biggrin2
My diary