You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.



  • "marymay" started this thread

Posts: 1

Reg: Jul 29th 2010

  • Send private message


Thursday, July 29th 2010, 9:09am

high risk downs help????

good morning...

i had the dreaded call yesterday from the hospital to tell me that i am classed as a high risk pregnancy for a downs baby... I have 1 in 145 chance the midwife said had i been 1 in 150 i would never of got the call and i am really wishing that i hadn't now.... I am feeling very scared and confused and don't know what to do. I have been offered cvs and amniocentesis but really don't want either... I am 38 and this is baby no 4 i have never had any problems before and my last 1 was a home birth 2 years ago which i wanted to do again this time....will i be allowed???? what do others advised me about the other tests???? or should i just let nature take its course....i wish i had never taken the bloody blood test now.....


Posts: 1,785

Reg: Aug 1st 2009

Location: Brisbane, Oz

Children: Boy/Girl Twins - Feel blessed everday...

  • Send private message


Thursday, July 29th 2010, 9:35am

There is a 99.3% chance that all will be ok. :cuddle (anyone please correct me if my baby brain isn't working tonight!) I always like to look at these things in percentages. xfingers xfingers
Rachel blowkiss

#1 ICSI Sept 09 - Chem preg
#2 ICSI Nov 09 - Chem preg
#3 ICSI May 10 - BFP: Twins!!! :girl: :boy:




Posts: 5,663

Reg: Aug 7th 2008

Location: Europe

Children: It's a girl!

  • Send private message


Thursday, July 29th 2010, 9:56am

MM, first of all I can't tell you how much I understand your worries, I had mine test (did in vienna 1:439, which is average but EVERY single day I was worried), now my girl is 10 months old - healthy and happy, she was number 1 and as you can imagine very difficult "to get" so I decided not to do amnio or cvs. It's extremely hard to advice in this case, this test are so unclear and so unaccurate but the worry, OMG :hugs:.... Yes the risk itself is very low (as rach just said), can you repeat tests? I know somebody rather close at FZ who did this and got COMPLETELY different results (much better) and in the end very healthy boy. I am sorry if I only confused you, very so unfortunately you have to make this decision but from the bottom of my heart wishing you so much luck. Ask to repeat tests, again, the 2nd result can be sooo different.

Feb 09 God's Miracle - Natural BFP.
Sept 09 Thanks to God - Scrumptious baby girl is here. Please grow healthy and happy.

Posts: 357

Reg: Nov 7th 2008

Location: UK

Children: None

  • Send private message


Thursday, July 29th 2010, 10:20am


Congrats on your pregnancy...

My SIL was told there was a 1 in 65 chance she would have a downs baby. She hadn't been through fertility treatment herself but watched my treacherous journey and was well aware how important any baby is!

She and he husband had long chats about what they would do if they found out that the baby did have downs. In the end, she had a CVS and 1 week later got the all clear.

This is a very personal decision but I believe it falls down to what you and DH would do if things wern't looking great. If you wouldn't do a thing, then keep eating healthily and keep growing that beautiful precious baby inside of you.

Best of luck and I am sure everything will be perfect. x
XXX BellaLove XXX

Feb '10 xfingers Hoping it sticks! xfingers



Posts: 3,156

Reg: May 23rd 2008

Location: Cloud cuckooland

Children: 1 beautiful daughter

  • Send private message


Thursday, July 29th 2010, 12:08pm

Hi MaryMary,

My SIL was given a 1 in 10 risk of downs from her blood test, obviously went into a panic and got a second opinion from another consultant. This second con pointed out all the indiciations that the baby would be fine - nuchal scan, prescence of a nasal bone, etc. She had a beautiful, healthy baby boy who has turned into a 4 year old who would buy and sell you!. The con said that some women have blood work that just come back as high risk - nothing to do with the baby. My own con's nurse also mentioned the same fact when I was getting other blood work done.

Have you had a NT scan? Maybe that would put your mind at ease.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Posts: 536

Reg: May 11th 2010

Thanks: 7 / 13

  • Send private message


Thursday, July 29th 2010, 12:28pm

Hi MaryMary
I can well understand the dilemma you are going through. To be objective, as rach has said, you have an over 99% chance that the baby will not have Downs. But maybe it is still hard to put your mind at risk. Make sure you have all the information and take time to consider it. If the baby did have Downs, how would you feel? The point of doing further tests is to give you more information. So you should only opt to do the tests if you can use that information, whatever the outcome. Even if it is just to reassure you.

A couple of years ago a colleague of mine had the test for Downs and it was positive. They took the decision to terminate. It really made me think about how I would deal with such a situation. But no-one but you can decide what to do, and no-one will judge you for whatever decision to make - whether or not to have the test, and how to deal with the results.

I have not even managed to get pregnant (yet xfingers ) but I know that given my age, if I did, I would be high risk too, and that scares me.

Whatever you decide, I'm sure that you will make the right choices.
Me: 41 :bawl: , short protocol- 1st ICSI June 2010 BFN
2nd cycle Oct, one egg fertilised but did not make it to ET :bawl:
3rd attempt - Feb 2011, BFN
Reversal Dec 2011 - negative SA after 2 and 4 months.
4th and last cycle Nov 2012 BFN

Wishful's ICSI Diary - third time lucky?

Similar threads