You are not logged in.


Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

cinz

Ace

  • "cinz" started this thread

Posts: 808

Reg: Sep 8th 2008

Location: Milton Keynes

Children: DD 1992; DD 1997;DS 2010

  • Send private message

1

Monday, July 26th 2010, 3:14pm

Can NHS refuse induction if GP has said this is best way forward?

Hi,

I was just wondering what my legal rights or medical rights are... We have had sever SPD from 20 weeks which has had me on crutches and since Jitterbug has engaged at 32wks I have barely been able to walk to the point where I am now where I am unable to walk as my leg just collapses without warning that I am terrified of falling. I also have an irratable uterus which has had us at the hospital twice with strong contractions two minutes apart but not dilating past 2cm. I saw my GP last week who sent me straight to hospital saying enough was enough, as I am not sleeping either at the moment. Every time I do fall asleep - I wake within a hour to turn over as I am unable to do so in my sleep with my hips. When we did go to the hospital the midwife there told me after she read my notes that we had a seed planted in my head to have baby early as my previous baby was born at 34wks... SO not true... Anyway also said contractions were BH and she could prove it. She hooked me up to monitor and said oh my no these are contractions but not enough though. I needed to more in the time she hooked me up for her to help, or so she said. She then went to call dr on call, who came in and said he would not take responsibility for making the decision whether to help me or not, and if I have been coping so long with the pain a few more weeks won't do any harm... I have been referred to see a consultant on Wednesday, but if they cannot squeeze me in then I have to go next Wednesday. I was also given 30/500mg of Co Codamol told to take 2 four times a day for three days to see some relief. A friend told me that was strange as she was advised against Co Codamol past 3rd trimester. I researched it, phoned NHS Direct to see if I could get a definite answer, to be told that yes that high a dose could have Jitterbug addicted, have withdrawal symptoms and he could have breathing problems at birth, but I would need to decide whether I wanted to take the risk or not...

So what are my options if any?? I am stuck in my bedroom for fear of falling down our stairs, am unable to walk with crutches now... Can they really force me to go on like this for another 2 - 4 wks which is what dr at hospital suggested in my notes???

Thanks in advance for any advice just not sure what to do anymore.

shas

Ace

Posts: 281

Reg: Jul 1st 2010

Location: manchester

  • Send private message

2

Monday, July 26th 2010, 3:58pm

hi cinz, sorry to read that you are having a hard time. i know that its the patients right to a second opinion and you can ask to see another consultant either by requesting the previous consultant or your GP. i really hope you get this sorted out asap. good luck .
TTC#1: 4yrs

me:33 (AMH 7.9) DH:35 (both ok otherwise)

3 clomid cycles: all BFN

ivf #1 july 2010 : BFP miscarriage at 7 weeks


ivf #2 nov' 2010 : BFN
ivf #3 aug 2011 : BFN

go for private now ??

    United Kingdom

Posts: 15,284

Reg: Sep 24th 2006

Location: Up to my armpits in ironing

Children: Three gorgeous daughters!

Thanks: 100 / 90

  • Send private message

3

Tuesday, July 27th 2010, 12:38pm

Oh hun it sounds awful. :sadface: What does your midwife make of all this? Have you got her support?

xxx


Angel baby April 07, Angel baby December 07, DD1 August 09, DD2 March 11, DD3 October 13

cinz

Ace

  • "cinz" started this thread

Posts: 808

Reg: Sep 8th 2008

Location: Milton Keynes

Children: DD 1992; DD 1997;DS 2010

  • Send private message

4

Tuesday, July 27th 2010, 5:25pm

Thanks girls, we were supposed to see m/wife today for a sweep but she heard about our appointment tomorrow and cancelled today' appointment and then went on to say that I should just scrap the idea of a home birth, if I am not mobile... The other m/wife that did our ante natal classes as well as the registrar for the consultant told us that I would be better off having a home birth as we would be able to change things to suit the condition more than be at hospital on a bed and be in a position that the dr on call needs me to be for them to get things going. We have said that we will be fighting tomorrow as things are getting worse by the day. I am unable to sleep and all I want to do is have a lie down and a nap, but it is just so painful...

Fingers crossed they do something tomorrow...

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

    United Kingdom

Posts: 14,475

Thanks: 40 / 66

  • Send private message

5

Tuesday, July 27th 2010, 6:18pm

Oh you poor thing!!!

First off, if you're at all concerned about taking the co-codamol then can you just take some paracetamol instead? At least it will take the peak off the pain for you.

You'll be almost 38 weeks tomorrow and to be honest I think I would be asking to be examined and, at the very least, to know the state of my cervix. It it's rock hard and miles away then you know that induction isn't the best option anyway as it's much more likely that you'd need a shedload of augmentation (which of course brings its own problems). You'll know that it's desirable to have a natural labour with SPD as an epidural will render you unable to feel whether you're putting yourself into some awkward and possibly damaging positions. The risk of epidural is higher with intervention... so...... if it can be avoided that it would be in your long term best interests to avoid it.

If, however, your cervix is favourable, then a sweep is probably a good idea. Even if your mw/cons isn't happy to do a sweep, you would at least know that things are moving in the right direction and that the end is in sight.





cinz

Ace

  • "cinz" started this thread

Posts: 808

Reg: Sep 8th 2008

Location: Milton Keynes

Children: DD 1992; DD 1997;DS 2010

  • Send private message

6

Wednesday, July 28th 2010, 3:47pm

Thankfully we had no problems today!!! Could not believe it...

Went in - she took one look at me and asked if she may examine me. She did - said she was doing a stretch and sweep, as there was not much of a plug left, almost 3cm dilated and cervix soft. if Jitterbug does not make a move by Friday then I will be induced on Friday at hospital. But until then we can still have a home birth. I was really annoyed with m/wife though as she still has not done a home visit and when I phoned her to let her know, she just said oh ok just do what we think is right, and that she would not make a visit but would come to see us if things get moving...

So far had some good contractions but managed a little nap this afternoon.

Fingers crossed it will be before Friday

shas

Ace

Posts: 281

Reg: Jul 1st 2010

Location: manchester

  • Send private message

7

Wednesday, July 28th 2010, 4:00pm

hi, i wanted to wish you all the luck in the world . hopefully all will be ok . goodluck .
TTC#1: 4yrs

me:33 (AMH 7.9) DH:35 (both ok otherwise)

3 clomid cycles: all BFN

ivf #1 july 2010 : BFP miscarriage at 7 weeks


ivf #2 nov' 2010 : BFN
ivf #3 aug 2011 : BFN

go for private now ??

    United Kingdom

Posts: 15,284

Reg: Sep 24th 2006

Location: Up to my armpits in ironing

Children: Three gorgeous daughters!

Thanks: 100 / 90

  • Send private message

8

Wednesday, July 28th 2010, 9:16pm

Oh well that's better. Do you feel better knowing you won't be left for weeks?

Good luck and I hope your LO is in your arms very soon!

xxx


Angel baby April 07, Angel baby December 07, DD1 August 09, DD2 March 11, DD3 October 13

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

    United Kingdom

Posts: 14,475

Thanks: 40 / 66

  • Send private message

9

Wednesday, July 28th 2010, 9:26pm

That sounds very positive indeed!

Looks like the jitterbug is on the move and thet your pelvis can start getting back to normal in less than a week!








FERTILITYZONE



MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE