You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "bouncytigger" is no longer a member of FZ
  • "bouncytigger" started this thread

Reg: Mar 9th 2008

Friday, July 23rd 2010, 8:16pm

Reusable nappies and twins

Started to do some research into reusuables.. For those of you that have used them with twins, how many would you say you need?

Do I just double what is needed for one baby or can you get away with less..

thinkthink
ICSI number 5 - BFP!! :boy: :girl: arrived December 2010

Mavis

United Kingdom

Reg: Sep 15th 2008

What's Up?
I need sleep!

Friday, July 23rd 2010, 10:08pm

Hmm, no idea I'm afraid!
But I'm stopping by anyway to say there is a good thread on here in which it was recommended you start off with disposable nappies. This gives you time to focus on feeding etc. And then when you have a bit more time to catch your breath, start using the reusable nappies (and they are better on bigger babies too, I think).
Anyways, I know very little. I think IndieChick will know though,
M
x

My Diary
10 years, 5 cycles, and 3 beautiful children.
My family is complete :heart: :heart: :heart:

Duffymoon

Megastar

Reg: Jun 11th 2007

Children: Boy/girl twins born 2010

Friday, July 23rd 2010, 10:56pm

Hi Bouncy

I've just got my reusables. I had a lady visit me and my antenatal friends in early May. One of my friends was already using BumGenius which are pocket all in ones and which I'm pretty sure Indiechick uses and loves. It's a personal thing but I don't like the fabric of them and as it's me that's changing them I didn't choose those ones. I foudn in the very early days my hands were so rough, the material on those nappies would have irritated the hell out of me!

I've opted for the brand Bambinex. They're made out of bamboo (super absorbant but consequently slow to dry). They have a booster which sits loose inside and then has a wrap. So not as user friendly as say the Bum Genius type but so far so good. I am finding you have to change perhaps a little more frequently to avoid baby's skin getting too wet and to avoid leaking.

I also have 5 Blueberry minky nappies which are ultra special. Seems silly to have nappies for special occasions but they are lushhhh!! They're essentially like BumGenius but the outside is like velvet and they have cool patterns. Downside is the price but we had a bit of cash as presents for the twins so i used it to buy these.

In terms of number the bumper pack of Bambinex included 20 nappies so in total i have 25. I'm doing one wash a day either on their own or with other washing and have plenty, possibly even too many! As I said above, being bamboo they take a while to dry but by having 20+, ten or so are drying while you have the rest to use.

Had I started using them earlier i would have possibly needed more as i was definitely changing them a lot more. I'm not sure if that was just me as a new paranoid mum but now i'm confident in knowing how long they can go with nappies on, how many poos they do etc. I should have started using them before now really but took a while to choose.

There are a lot of companies out there who sell reusables so it's good you're doing your research now. I wouldn't recommend where i got mine from as they were very unprofessional and delayed getting them to me without being honest and it took a lot of chasing on my part which i didn't think should have been needed. I liked the nappy lady website but a friend told me they have not been great either!

ONe of my twin mum friends started using reusables from day one and her babies were about 5lbs. I think they're called Bimbles. I can ask her how many she has/had if you like?

My general opinion is that it's well worth the intial cost, washing and occasional handling of sodden nappies....my DH was having to go to the tip with disposables for many weeks and my mum having to take some back home with her such were the quantities of nappies we had and with fortnightly collections just too many for our bin.

Hope that helps.

xxx

4 x ICSI BFN
5th time :BFP:
:boy: :girl:

Mavis

United Kingdom

What's Up?
I need sleep!

Friday, July 23rd 2010, 11:01pm

my DH was having to go to the tip with disposables for many weeks and my mum having to take some back home with her such were the quantities of nappies we had and with fortnightly collections just too many for our bin.

It's a bit late now, and of course using reusables is far better for the world than the horrible disposable ones. BUT if you are using disposables, just ring your council and say you have twins, and they will either give you an extra wheelie bin, or they will give you special bin bags for a "clinical waste collection". I know lots of twin mamas in different areas, and all councils have done this.

x

My Diary

Duffymoon

Megastar

Friday, July 23rd 2010, 11:08pm

BUT if you are using disposables, just ring your council and say you have twins, and they will either give you an extra wheelie bin, or they will give you special bin bags for a "clinical waste collection". I know lots of twin mamas in different areas, and all councils have done this.

Seriously? I did look on my council's website about extra bins but it said only for families of 5 or more. not that it matters anymore :rolleyes:

Recently when my DH went to the tip, he discovered that they'd changed thiings there and there's no longer a General Waste bin, instead, you give the guys who work there your bags and they have to go through them to salvage anything recyclable (is that a word??? it's late....and i'm tired! :tired: ). You should have seen their faces when DH handed over bags and bags of soiled nappies!! Needless to say that upon hearing they were all nappies, they lobbed it quickly into the *checked* area :snigger:

x

Mavis

United Kingdom

What's Up?
I need sleep!

Friday, July 23rd 2010, 11:15pm

That is funny about the tip! Eurgch! :snigger:

And yep, you can qualify for an extra bin with twins just because of the nappy situation. And also if you have two young children who are both still in nappies.

M
x

My Diary

Sunday, July 25th 2010, 8:48am

Thanks both.. this is really helpful....

Duffymoon

Megastar

Monday, July 26th 2010, 9:52am

Another thing I thought of.....a friend has been buying second hand ones (individually) or just cheap new ones off ebay...just to get different varieties to try out at next to nothing cost.

might be worth getting a few together to try out when your babies arrive. you'd just need to buy liners and maybe a bucket/mesh bag.

xx

4 x ICSI BFN

Grace

Princess of the Universe

United Kingdom

Reg: Jul 29th 2008

Children: 1 beautiful little son conceived through ICSI and one equally beautiful little boy concieved naturally!

What's Up?
Oh god I've got Puppies!

Monday, July 26th 2010, 9:59am

I got my reusables from a company called Babykind (who I found through the wonder of google) they have a trial service that for a reasonable fee they will send you some of each of the nappies they sell and you can decide which ones you get on with (no obligation to buy of course) they were really, really good.

ICSI BFP DS1 born Nov 09
Natural BFP DS2 born Sept 11

Duffymoon

Megastar

Monday, July 26th 2010, 10:13am

I got my reusables from a company called Babykind

They do have a number of nappies on that site don't they :thumbsup:, I nearly used them as they sell the Blueberry Minky ones but i ended up staying loyal to the company who visited me (and who in the end were alittle bit cheaper). Not too keen on their website though - very fussy and lots of links to links and links!!

The Nappy Trial is a good idea, looks like you get just one pocket nappy and one two part nappy (unless my brain isn't working this mornign!). You can also hire nappies for a trial period too which could be a good idea ?(

As I said, I had a demo and that was really useful. It's certianly something you could do in your pregnancy, perhaps after your antenatal classes so you can invite your new preggie friends to join you too. Many companies have agents across the UK.

xx

4 x ICSI BFN

Duffymoon

Megastar

Monday, July 26th 2010, 10:23am

Ignore meeeeee....

4 x ICSI BFN

Grace

Princess of the Universe

United Kingdom

Reg: Jul 29th 2008

Children: 1 beautiful little son conceived through ICSI and one equally beautiful little boy concieved naturally!

What's Up?
Oh god I've got Puppies!

Monday, July 26th 2010, 10:28am

Aw Duffy, how could we ever ignore you :)

ICSI BFP DS1 born Nov 09
Natural BFP DS2 born Sept 11

Duffymoon

Megastar

Monday, July 26th 2010, 10:40am

Aw Duffy, how could we ever ignore you

:snigger: My sig was misbehaving so I was trying something out!

xxx

4 x ICSI BFN

Duffymoon

Megastar

Wednesday, August 11th 2010, 2:44pm

And yep, you can qualify for an extra bin with twins just because of the nappy situation. And also if you have two young children who are both still in nappies.

I've finally! had a response from my council and alas they do not provide extra bins. Not that it matters much now as I really needed it in the early days! They only provide a larger bin for families of six or more :rolleyes:

However, the County Council do offer £25 cashback if you provide a receipt of real nappy purchases so I guess that's something. I'm now wondering if i can double that to £50 because of having to buy more than for one baby thinkthink......I don't see why not!!

Here's the link to anyone living in Nottinghamshire Notts county council cashback pdf form

xx

4 x ICSI BFN

Thursday, August 12th 2010, 7:33am

Absolutely.. I tried our council, but no extra bins and no money back for nappy purchase.. oh well.. nothing ventured.. nothing gained!

Thanks for the advice anyway Duff Duff!

ps list list list!

Duffymoon

Megastar

Thursday, August 12th 2010, 8:37am

ps list list list!

List schmist :snigger:

Am on the case today!

x