You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "Livinginhope" started this thread

Reg: Feb 5th 2009

Children: One beautiful baby girl born on Christmas Day 2010

Thursday, July 8th 2010, 1:20pm

Very strange feeling down below!

Hi there, I am 15 weeks pregnant and only in the past couple of days have noticed a really odd feeling down below. If I touch my lower abdomen, just above my knicker line its rock solid. Its always been hard and a bit swolen but now its completely solid. Its also hard up to my belly button. I thought it may be my bump starting to take form, but in my pregnancy book it says that the uterus is still in the lower abdomen and doesnt rise for another few weeks. Also the feeling I have been getting is very strange indeed. It doesnt happen all of the time, but i noticed it last night when I was trying to sleep. It doesnt hurt, although I have had a few shooting pains on the left side since I found out I was pregnant, so I think thats nothing to worry about. The feeling is like bubbling, but I know that its no way the baby as I wont feel this for another few weeks now. Sorry TMI coming up, but I dont think its my bowels either as I went yesterday.

Anyone else had this?

xx
Me (33) DH (34) LSC 2 x ICSI and 1 FET (09) - all BFN's!
ICSI MAR/APRIL 10 - BFP!!!! :happy: First scan 11/05 - saw the [zx076]
Dating scan 15/06/10 - Our gorgeous baby girl arrived on Christmas Day 2010 xx

Jessica

Superstar

United Kingdom

Reg: Sep 4th 2008

Children: One little boy, thanks to IVF

Thursday, July 8th 2010, 1:33pm

As your uterus expands upwards out of your pelvis you will begin to feel it, and it is rock solid; there's no mistaking your womb for a bit of old flab! It IS a weird feeling, I know; I wasn't quite prepared for just how hard it felt, somehow I always imagined a pregnant tum was softish.

I don't remember exactly how quickly your uterus rises up, or where it should be at 15 weeks, but the most likely explanation is that that's what you're feeling (I think).

Also, the bubbling MIGHT be baby. It is pretty early, but I've certainly heard that it can sometimes be felt from 16 weeks (though also sometimes not until 24+ weeks) and you're only a week off that.

The shooting pains are likely to be round ligament pain as everything stretches inside you.

I'm no expert, but would say probably there's absolutely nothing for you to worry about, this is just normal! However, if you are worried at all the best thing is to talk to your mw - when's your next appointment?
Kitty
xx

IVF Nov-08 - BFP. DS born July 2009
FET Oct-10 - BFN
IVF Sep-11 - BFN

Thursday, July 8th 2010, 1:42pm

Hi thanks Jessica, my next appt is next Tuesday. I did call this morning and left a message, I bet she will think I am being paranoid, but I just want to play it safe. I guessed the pains were round ligament pain, and I am not worried about that. Its just a really strange feeling and no where in my books or magazines does it say it will be rock hard and feeling very sensitive, like someone has punched me down below if I touch it.

I know this will sound really stupid, but on saturday I had a lift home in my friends car. I had to sit forwards because she had some stuff on the seat, I wore a seatbelt as usual, and the car journey only lasted all of 5 mins, so not long, but I wonder if this may have contributed in any way?

xx

Reg: Feb 9th 2010

Children: 1 perfect boy born after icsi tx

Thursday, July 8th 2010, 9:49pm

Hi Livinginhope, I know what you mean about the rock hard feeling, I got this about 14/15 weeks too. Was not expecting it either. I couldn't bear to touch it or let DH either. It was such a strange feeling when it was touched, not sore just icky and weird. If it makes sense, it felt like I was actually touching inside my tummy when I touched the outside. None of the books warn us about that do they? Thankfully now that it has moved up it feels much better, still hard but the sensitive feeling is not there.

I'm sure the car and seat belt is nothing to worry about, it's probably just things (maybe baby) moving around and settling down. :xxx3:

FET JAN 2012 - 2 embies :BFN:
2 still on ice for another day xfingers

My Diary

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Friday, July 9th 2010, 12:22pm

Hi there, I am 15 weeks pregnant and only in the past couple of days have noticed a really odd feeling down below. If I touch my lower abdomen, just above my knicker line its rock solid. Its always been hard and a bit swolen but now its completely solid. Its also hard up to my belly button. I thought it may be my bump starting to take form, but in my pregnancy book it says that the uterus is still in the lower abdomen and doesnt rise for another few weeks. Also the feeling I have been getting is very strange indeed. It doesnt happen all of the time, but i noticed it last night when I was trying to sleep. It doesnt hurt, although I have had a few shooting pains on the left side since I found out I was pregnant, so I think thats nothing to worry about. The feeling is like bubbling, but I know that its no way the baby as I wont feel this for another few weeks now. Sorry TMI coming up, but I dont think its my bowels either as I went yesterday.

Anyone else had this?

This sounds absolutely, perfectly and totally normal :)

The bit in your book about the lower abdomen is referring to the area below your belly button. The womb usually starts to rise above your pubic bone (like a sunrise) and as it grows it heads north, up to your belly button and then beyond it up to your ribs.

The weird feelings you have been getting may be your uterus tightening in braxton hicks. Not everyone feels these and few women feel them so early but it's certianly not unheard of. The bubbly feeling is also probably your baby moving :) The average time to feel movements is 16 weeks but it sounds to me like you're quite tuned in and sensitive to your physical changes and that would explain you feeling your uterine tightenings and movements.

The shooting pains are a frequent side effect and all part and parcel of your body being taken over, try not to worry about them.

x

Reg: Aug 8th 2007

Friday, July 9th 2010, 1:28pm

Hi

Im worried that i cant feel my uterus! Im 15 weeks plus 4! I have gained quite abit of weight since being pregnant and it has gone on my belly! But im probably no bigger than a size 12 so u would think i would be able to feel it wouldnt u? Nothing feels hard! :(
Timed bd - 75iu fostimen and pregnil TWINS born May 09
Fostimin inj ---BFP Baby girl born Dec 10

Natural BFP March 12

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Friday, July 9th 2010, 3:16pm

Frankie, lie down flat on your bed and feel for your pubic bone. Just at the ridge of the top of the bone use your fingers and you can press firmly, you ought to be able to feel something like the very top of an orange or a grapefruit underneath it.

Reg: Aug 8th 2007

Friday, July 9th 2010, 4:21pm

thanks bells. i tried that but i still cant feel it! maybe im just not doing it right. I got a midwife appointment on tuesday so hopefully everything is ok xx
Timed bd - 75iu fostimen and pregnil TWINS born May 09
Fostimin inj ---BFP Baby girl born Dec 10

Natural BFP March 12

Grace

Princess of the Universe

United Kingdom

Reg: Jul 29th 2008

Children: 1 beautiful little son conceived through ICSI and one equally beautiful little boy concieved naturally!

What's Up?
Oh god I've got Puppies!

Friday, July 9th 2010, 6:20pm

Next time you go to the mw get her to show you how to feel it as I couldn't feel it either until she showed me how to search for it (it all felt like a weird lumpy mess to me). I had bx contractions from about 15 weeks and I felt the baby move just before 16 weeks so as Bells says it could be either of those you are feeling.

ICSI BFP DS1 born Nov 09
Natural BFP DS2 born Sept 11

Friday, July 9th 2010, 9:47pm

Thanks Ladies, I feel reasurred now that you have had it too and that its normal. I also spoke to my midwife and she said that she wasnt overly concerned about what I was feeling, but that it can feel uncomfortable and if I get any cramps to call the GP.

Hopeful H - that is exactly how it feels!

xx

Reg: Jun 25th 2007

Children: Lemmy - 2008 and Diddy - 2010

Sunday, July 11th 2010, 11:58am

Hiya

Just a quick message to say - don't take all the books / mags as gospel.

I felt my DS move at 14wks pregnant but this one I only just felt at 16wks and not as 'hard' as when I was pg with my DS. It depends where your placenta is etc as to how and when you feel baby move too - especially if it is at the front of your tummy.

As for the pains / tenderness - that's the one thing NO-ONE tells you about!!! I got really worried about some pains with DS, rang the midwife who told me it was stretching and said if I had been sitting down a lot or wearing a tight waistband it could be the baby nudging me to say 'give me some room!'

Frankie - I couldn't really 'feel' a bump or hardness in my tummy either 1st pregnancy or this one to be honest - my womb tilts back and I don't really 'show' with a bump. It may be that your baby is sitting in your back too. Don't panic - once you hear that heartbeat at 16+ weeks you'll be able to feel things a lot more as you relax.

Good luck in your pregnancies ladies XxXx

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE