You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "aramass" started this thread

Reg: May 9th 2009

Sunday, July 4th 2010, 12:29pm

Scans

It seems very quiet on here. I hope someone replies!
I've just been ushered into the big bad world of the NHS after my first scan at the clinic at 7+2. I'm now 8 weeks. I've been trying to contact my doctor to let him know I'm having twins (she knows I'm pregnant) but she is unreachable. I just wanted to know whether it is likely I'll have to wait until 12 weeks until my next scan or whether i'll get one before due to it being twins.

Thanks
Me: 37 Him: 42
Unexplained
IVF May 2010
:BFP: 10th June.
[zx076] [zx076]

my diary

Reg: Jul 3rd 2008

Children: 2 beautiful twin daughters :)

Sunday, July 4th 2010, 1:01pm

Hi Aramass - Huge congratulations on expecting twins!! They are fab biggrin2

In my experience I had the scan at 7 weeks with the clinic, and the next scan wasn't until the 12 week mark as normal. I went to the GP when I was about 8 weeks pg and she referred me on to the midwife and maternity services.

You will get extra scans towards the end of your pg rather than the beginning, unless there are problems. So after 12 weeks, you're most likey to have the next scan at 20 weeks - after that it depends on your consultant. I had scans at 28 weeks, then 2 weekly due to growth issues of twin1. Others have had scans at 24 or 26 weeks.

You will be offered a free nuchal scan as well as your 12 week scan but they need to be done around the 12 week mark so they'll be very close together.

Good luck in the world of NHS maternity services!! It's so different from the clinics!

Hope this helps :xxx3:

Moonshine

Reg: Mar 17th 2008

Children: Twins!

Sunday, July 4th 2010, 1:10pm

Hi aramass!
Congratulations on your twinnies!!

I had an 8 week scan from my IVF clinic, but that cancelled out my 12 week scan, so the antenatal side didn't schedule my next scan until 20 weeks. We ended up going private for our 12 week scan as we wanted everything to be ok before we spread the news and we had to push hard to get our NHS nuchal scan at 13+6 because they conveniently "forgot" to offer it to us.
After that, I've had scans at 20, 24, 28 and 32 weeks and I have my last one tomorrow at 35 weeks for them to make final decisions on the birth plans.
(We also had a 4D scan done privately at 26 weeks.)

I have DC/DA twins, so they were less concerned about me as this is supposedly the "safest" combination of twin pregnancy, so they were happy to only see me at 4 wk intervals as I have not had any other complications. If you have MC/MA twins, they they will see you more often.

Hope you have a happy and healthy pregnancy!! :happy:
* Emma * :smile:
TTC 8 yrs PCOS - Clomidx10 - IVFx3
Nov 2009 Last try: Short protocol ICSI - wonderful BFP!!! -
TWINS!!
: D

Reg: Mar 9th 2008

Children: Otis and Ava, July 2010 following successful FERC

Monday, July 5th 2010, 10:13pm

Aramass

I can back up what Moonshine and Aiwah have said I had the normal scan at 6 weeks when we discovered I was pregnant with twins and then had a Nuchal Fold scan at 12 weeks and then had my next scan at 20 weeks. |Since then I've had scans every four weeks with an extra cervix scan at 22 weeks. My midwife checked at 16 weeks that I had a plan for all my scans. I wouldn't worry about not being able to contact your doctor mention about having twins at your booking in appointment if you haven't already had it.

Good luck and enjoy the experience

Pushoz
Pushoz
1st ICSI July 09- BFN

FET Oct/Nov - BFP

It's Twins!!!!!

Tuesday, July 6th 2010, 7:45pm

Thank you! You are right. I'll get my next scan at 11/12 week. Time really is dragging!

What are DC/DA twins?

Couple more questions. Is it normal to be so anxious about the prospect of twins? I stupidly didn't expect it, despite the DET! I feel quite overwhelmed. I'm quite scared of the pregnancy, being high risk and being unable to move for the last couple of months! I'm also worried that if all goes well and i make it to live birth, that I won't be able to bond with both of them. Keep dreaming about juggling them. Holding one, dropping the other. Will I be able to give both of them enough attention? I have so many questions! Is it normal to be so fearful??? On one hand I'm over the moon but am so anxious as well.
Unexplained
IVF May 2010
[zx076] [zx076]

my diary

Reg: Dec 22nd 2008

Children: St Mary's

Wednesday, July 7th 2010, 3:50pm

Any feelings you are having are completely normal. Im soo happy about being pregnant with twins but also now have the added worry of preterm labor. I dont think ill truly relax untill they are born healthy.

I wondered the same thing about DC/DA twins. It means seperate sacs and seperate placentas.

Kelly

Feb/March 2009 1st IVF BFP blighted ovum diagnosed @ 8 week scan
babydust
2nd IVF April :BFP: Two baby8 bab10 due 22nd December 2010
Fingers Crossed this time will result in our much wanted Baby X

Reg: Jul 3rd 2008

Children: 2 beautiful twin daughters :)

Friday, July 9th 2010, 10:10am

Aramass hun, I felt EXACTLY the same as you all through my pregnancy! It's such a huge thing to get your head around (to be honest, I still can't quite believe it :snigger: )

None of it was as bad as I expected it to be. The time between scans does drag - but as for the mobility and risk issues just look after yourself, don't overdo things and just take each day as it comes. I found gentle swimming (or floating in the later stages) really helped. Grocery delivery and a stash of easy cook foods are also recommended!

I had huge worries that I wouldn't be able to bond with them, but when the time came I didn't find it an issue. You'll find yourself just staring in amazement at your beautiful creations!

The juggling of them also comes naturally. I breastfed for a while and often kept losing a twin off the edge of the pillow while I sorted out the other :snigger: You will get used to hadling each of them one handed and they'll get used to being handled like that. Yes, sometimes they'll be impatient while you're sorting the other out, but that's life and they just have to get used to it!! If you do have family and close friends nearby, I would also recommend accepting all the help you can get, especially in the early weeks. The feeding/changing cycle can take about 1.5hrs, babies feed 3 hourly and that's calculated from the begining of the feed (something I wasn't prepared for!!!).

Honestly though, you will be fine! It's intense yes, but so incredibly worth it I promise :xxx3:

Moonshine

Flic

Italy Poland

Reg: May 8th 2008

Children: Had my first daughter on 25th February 2010!

What's Up?
Stressed.

Friday, July 9th 2010, 10:19am

Another thing to add is that quite a few twin mummies have been getting to 38 weeks! So don't worry too much about them being preterm!!

The bonding worry I think is something everyone worries about. I'm not a twin mummy but I worried and I struggled but it did happen, now everything my DH does is *wrong* and it wind me up when he changes her nappy and its not done the same way as I do it!!

Our miracle was born on 25.02.2010!!

Friday, July 9th 2010, 3:32pm

Aramass - I felt exactly the same I remember lying having the scan and the sonographer saying and there's two sacs. I never even thought that there would be two heartbeats as well, my cousin and friend both had two sacs but only one heartbeat.

Kelly - As you can see I'm 38 weeks tomorrow so try not to worry about preterm labour. I know it's easy to say because I worried about it but apparently twins born at 36 weeks are healthier than a singleton born at the same stage.

I found a twins NCT group which was fantastic as the leader had twins herself and showed us simple things like how to pick two babies up at once. I would also recommend that you look if there is a local twins club, mine is brilliant and I have been assigned a mentor mum, she lives two minutes walk away and is brilliant as I can phone her and ask her if I have any problems. The other thing is you've got a great source of help here so remember to shout up.

Pushoz
Pushoz
1st ICSI July 09- BFN

FET Oct/Nov - BFP

It's Twins!!!!!

Friday, July 9th 2010, 5:31pm

Forgot to say I had to go to the day unit on Wednesday and the nurse who treated me said "God only gives twins and multiples to those who can cope". She actually admitted she would never have been able to cope herself but I thought it was a lovely way of looking at things.

Pushoz
Pushoz
1st ICSI July 09- BFN

FET Oct/Nov - BFP

It's Twins!!!!!

Friday, July 9th 2010, 5:41pm

Thanks girls! It's reassuring to hear you all say you felt the same.

Pushoz: I like the idea of twins being given to those who can cope. I sort of think I can. I'm a teacher and have taught both primary and secondary and always London's most disturbed/violent/hyperactive/crazy (but loveable) kids and I have quite a good tolerance for noise/madness. Sometimes I look at my crazy classes with 28 nutters and think how much easier two will be in comparison!

Did any of you get short of breath in the first trimester? I've just been to the doctors for my scan referral and she was quite concerned by it, listened to my heart and said my heart was making an 'extra' noise and referred me urgently to a cardiologist! ARGHGHGH.
Unexplained
IVF May 2010
[zx076] [zx076]

my diary

Reg: Mar 17th 2008

Children: Twins!

Friday, July 9th 2010, 6:30pm

aramass - I totally agree with all the sound advice you've had here. I was the same, but I went through a phase of signing up for every twin forum and website I could find and talking to as many twin mummies out there as I could and gradually you get the reassurance that you will cope... I know it will be hard work, but so many people have said that you do learn to adapt and quickly learn how to be a supermummy out of necessity. It's only natural to worry about our babies - that way we treasure them more and become better parents.
Hope your cardiologist checks work out ok, but do take things easy... carrying twins is hard work, so you do need to be careful, but it's great that the docs are looking out for you.

kelly - I'm not far behind pushoz and my docs have every confidence that I'll make it to my 38+2 induction date, so don't worry too much about preterm labour. Then again, there are plenty of twin mummies with babies that have been born early and they are all absolutely fine, so just go with the flow and trust the people looking after you!
Eat well, keep well and just keep those babies cooking away nicely.

:smile:
* Emma * :smile:
TTC 8 yrs PCOS - Clomidx10 - IVFx3
Nov 2009 Last try: Short protocol ICSI - wonderful BFP!!! -
TWINS!!
: D

Mavis

United Kingdom

Reg: Sep 15th 2008

What's Up?
I need sleep!

Saturday, July 10th 2010, 8:41pm

Aramass,

My advice to you is to line up as much help as possible for your twins. Get useful family members to take time off work and move in with you.

I resisted this at first, I wanted private time with my new family. However, DH insisted and it turned out he was absolutely right. I greatly enjoyed the first few weeks with my little girls, and it was only because I had lots of help. It was only when I got the miss them (e.g. if I took a nap, woke up, and the twins were in the care of my parents in another room) that I truly reveled in how much I adored them, and appreciated every single second with them. This meant everything when getting through the night shifts, going hungry and thirsty, having a house that smelled of nappy poop, and having absolutely nothing to wear that wasn't vomit-stained!!!

You will cope, because we all cope. (And of course, you have FZ here for the times when it does feel too much, because that happens to all of us).

Keep an eye out for PND, because the risk of higher for mamas of multiples. I made a list of the risk factors, and then a list of things that I should do to lessen my risk e.g. do something meaningful each day that was not related to the girls, talk to a friend about non-baby things etc.

Hope that helps.
And many congratulations, being a twin mama is just wonderful!

M
x

My Diary
10 years, 5 cycles, and 3 beautiful children.
My family is complete :heart: :heart: :heart:

Reg: May 12th 2007

Wednesday, July 21st 2010, 11:33am

Aramass, just read through all these posts as I just found out I'm having twins too and although over the moon my mind has been in overtime with a million worries. It was so re-assuring to read everyones wonderful advice and I feel a lot calmer now!

xxx

IUI-Mar07 / IVF-Jul07 / FET-Jan08 / IVF-May09 - ALL BFN
IVF-Jun10 - :BFP:

Friday, July 23rd 2010, 9:16am

Yes. It is so reassuring having this advice! I wish I could invite you all round for tea to interrogate you! Thanks ladies.

Geordie: Congratulations!!! It's so scary at first isn't it? Some days I feel laid back about it, others I'm in a real state. I'm calming down now. I have 6 more months to get used to it.
Unexplained
IVF May 2010
[zx076] [zx076]

my diary

1 user apart from you is browsing this thread:

1 guests