You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "Platinum" started this thread

Reg: Mar 27th 2009

Thursday, July 1st 2010, 9:33am

Severe wind/cramps

I feel reasonably confident that this is nothing to worry about in terms of the pregnancy, but I’m in agony several times per day so I wonder whether this is normal?

I wake up in the mornings with cramps in my lower belly – not quite like period pains but more like intestinal cramps – like you need to run to the loo. In the early weeks of pregnancy I did find that going to the loo helped, but now I just seem to be in a lot of pain and nothing really seems to solve it.

I think it is probably caused by the progesterone slowing my digestive system down (and I eat a good high fibre vegetarian diet!) and so I am getting gas and pain as my digestive system tries to do its job. But it’s so painful I am doubled up in pain for a good half hour upon waking, go to the loo several times (tmi – mostly unproductively!) and have it on and off during the day too.

I also keep getting cramp in my toes, especially at night – I probably have this 20 times per day, where before pregnancy I hardly ever got cramp.

The other thing I wondered was whether it might be due to lactose intolerance? I’m drinking a lot more milk than usual, and I always used to think ‘raw’ milk gave me a sore tummy but I was doing it through stimming on IVF to help the eggs mature, and then during early pregnancy to keep the protein up to aid in the healing as I have had mild OHSS. But maybe it’s doing me more harm than good? I don’t know how to separate any milk intolerance symptoms from pregnancy gut problems. I don’t normally suffer from IBS, and I’m eating healthily and drinking lots.

Any ideas? Is this normal? I'm 8+3 today.

Thanks!

TTC#1 since Dec 06, PCOS
IVF#1 2009 - 3xSET (blasts) - 3xBFN
IgG cardiolipins and Lupus antibodies, MTHFR heterozygous
IVF#2 2010 - 2 blasts, BFP 1/6/10, secondary OHSS
[zx076] 18/6/10 at 6+4!
On Metformin 4x500mg, Clexane 80mg, Aspirin 75mg, B12 3x50mcg
Gestational diabetes (diet controlled)
Elizabeth born prematurely on 25/11/10 at 29+3, weighing 3lbs

• "bouncytigger" is no longer a member of FZ

Reg: Mar 9th 2008

Thursday, July 1st 2010, 9:43am

Can't help you on all of it, but wind - yes and cramps - yes. I do get them as soon as I wake up and usually find it shifts itself (IYKWIM) or going to the toilet can help.. I'm not bent over with them though.. just have a few mins and then a bit of walking about or going to the loo helps.. or a lot pf patting off back to get things moving one way or another..

Glam this pregnancy stuff!!

blowkiss
ICSI number 5 - BFP!! :boy: :girl: arrived December 2010

Thursday, July 1st 2010, 10:40am

That's a relief that it's quite normal - thanks bouncytigger!

I am still a bit concerned about possible lactose intolerance but maybe I'm imagining it. Was thinking of switching back to soya milk but that has mixed views on its safety in pregnancy. Will keep thinking about it - meanwhile, any more tips/reassurance welcomed!

TTC#1 since Dec 06, PCOS
[zx076] 18/6/10 at 6+4!

deedee1

Reg: May 23rd 2008

Children: 1 beautiful daughter

Thursday, July 1st 2010, 4:49pm

Me too Platinum. Haven't got them in a few weeks but a number of times was doubled over with them at about 6-8 weeks pregnant. So much so, I called the clinic to check and you're reasoning is exactly right. Pregnancy and progesterone combines to make a very slow and windy intestinal area.

So don't worry, try prune juice and lots of fruit. Mind you, neither helped me - it eventually just went away itself.

Friday, July 2nd 2010, 6:28pm

Thanks, Deedee - sounds just the same. I hope mine will just go away too! Saw our consultant today who confirmed that it was due to the progesterone slowing everything down in there - good news for uterus (protects the baby), but bad news for intestines!

I'm back on the cow's milk too, having looked into the soya alternative but read a few contradictory views on whether it's really a good idea. I wasn't suffering like this during the IVF treatment when I was also consuming lots of milk, so I reckon it's just/mainly the effect of the progesterone.

Thank you both for your reassuring comments.

TTC#1 since Dec 06, PCOS
[zx076] 18/6/10 at 6+4!

deedee1

Reg: May 23rd 2008

Children: 1 beautiful daughter

Friday, July 2nd 2010, 7:52pm

It will go away Platinum, just bear with it. I used to find it worst at night when I was in bed, in fact once I woke up with the pain. I think your body will just get used to it and eventually go back to some kind of normal.

And I don't think cows milk makes it any worse - I am still drinking it by the udderful :snigger: , main reason is that it settles my nausea.

Best of luck Platinum.

Grace

Princess of the Universe

United Kingdom

Reg: Jul 29th 2008

Children: 1 beautiful little son conceived through ICSI and one equally beautiful little boy concieved naturally!

What's Up?
Oh god I've got Puppies!

Saturday, July 3rd 2010, 9:06am

Hi,

If you had lactose intolerance you would be getting the cramping all the time rather than just in the morning, also you would probably have diarrhea as your gut can't digest the lactose so tries to get rid of it other ways. That said you could try cutting out dairy for a couple of days to see, you can drink soya milk (it has lots of calcium) but you would probably have to up your potein intake I see you mention a veggie diet so chicken is probably out of the question but you should be able to up your protein intake in other ways but I must admit I don't know how to do it on a veggie diet. It's more likely that the increased progesterone in your gut has slowed your digestive system down and when you're lying down at night nothing is moving, by the time you get to the morning there is a backlog and your gut is pretty cross about it.

ICSI BFP DS1 born Nov 09
Natural BFP DS2 born Sept 11

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE