You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "Platinum" started this thread

Reg: Mar 27th 2009

Wednesday, June 16th 2010, 10:01am

Choosing hospital for obstetrician and haematologist?

I've had IVF and additionally have some blood issues: raised IgG anticardiolipins, MTHFR heterozygous and weak positive for Lupus. This means my fertility consultant said it's important to be referred urgently to an obstetrician and consultant haematologist as soon as the pregnancy is confirmed on a scan (we have our scan appointment on Friday, when I will be 6+4).

I know it is my GP who must refer me to the obstetrician and haematologist, and wonder whether it's important that I am referred to consultants at the hospital where I would choose to receive my anti-natal care and will hopefully deliver the baby? If so, I guess I need to make a choice in the next couple of days - and I don't even know what my options are regarding hospitals! Or is it more important to find an obstetrician and haematologist who are experienced in dealing with my symptoms, regardless of where I eventually choose to give birth?

If anyone can advise me, I'd be most grateful - I would like to get this moving as quickly as possible after Friday's appointment (all being well at the scan!) but don't want to make choices now that I will later regret.

Many thanks

TTC#1 since Dec 06, PCOS
IVF#1 2009 - 3xSET (blasts) - 3xBFN
IgG cardiolipins and Lupus antibodies, MTHFR heterozygous
IVF#2 2010 - 2 blasts, BFP 1/6/10, secondary OHSS
[zx076] 18/6/10 at 6+4!
On Metformin 4x500mg, Clexane 80mg, Aspirin 75mg, B12 3x50mcg
Gestational diabetes (diet controlled)
Elizabeth born prematurely on 25/11/10 at 29+3, weighing 3lbs

mrsjasper

Megastar

Reg: Nov 2nd 2005

Children: 2 gorgeous girls

Wednesday, June 16th 2010, 8:39pm

Good grief Platinum, there are some really big words there! I'm afraid I have no idea but I would hazard a guess that any obstetrician whose care you are under would prefer you to deliver your baby at the hospital he/she works at. I would imagine for convenience a heamatologist at the same hospital would make your life easier too. However, this is your pregnancy, your baby and your health and its entirely up to you where you are seen and where you deliver and there's nothing to stop you changing hospital/obstetrician at any point in your pregnancy. Why not talk to your GP about what options are available in your area and then you can have a think and be referred as soon as you have decided? Its probably also a good idea to arrange an early aoointment with your midwife so you can have a chat with her about what you want to do. Good luck on Friday.

BraveGirl

Superstar

• "BraveGirl" is no longer a member of FZ

Reg: Feb 15th 2008

Children: One on the way.

Wednesday, June 16th 2010, 9:30pm

my view for what its worth is right now go with the place where they can best deal with the blood/immune issues, you need to make sure this pregnancy stays nice and strong.

When you are further down the line and in the 'safer' zone then look at where you will give birth. Nothing you decide now about the birth is set in stone anyway and you can change your mind whenever you like on that front. x
IVF 1 :BFP: baby5 in heaven 6 weeks
IVF 5 :BFP: Immune protocol Care Sheffield
Oscar Miles arrived 15 April 2011 weighing 6lbs 14oz
My Diary

• "Platinum" started this thread

Reg: Mar 27th 2009

Thursday, June 17th 2010, 9:08am

Thank you both. I phoned the GP surgery and asked which hospitals I could choose to deliver the baby, and have a list of four. I suspect I could be referred to consultants outside these four (I live in Birmingham so there's lots of choice reasonably close) but hopefully my clinic consultant will be able to recommend which hospital might suit me best at this stage. It's good to know I can switch later for the actual delivery if needed.

I see the consultant tomorrow morning, and all being well I will try to get a GP appointment in the afternoon, to get things moving as soon as possible. I will ask to see a midwife soon as well - thanks for that.

I am still in denial that I'm pregnant - the idea of seeing consultants is not new to me, but a midwife - eek - makes it sound real!

Thanks again, guys.

TTC#1 since Dec 06, PCOS
IVF#1 2009 - 3xSET (blasts) - 3xBFN
IgG cardiolipins and Lupus antibodies, MTHFR heterozygous
IVF#2 2010 - 2 blasts, BFP 1/6/10, secondary OHSS
[zx076] 18/6/10 at 6+4!
On Metformin 4x500mg, Clexane 80mg, Aspirin 75mg, B12 3x50mcg
Gestational diabetes (diet controlled)
Elizabeth born prematurely on 25/11/10 at 29+3, weighing 3lbs

mrsjasper

Megastar

Reg: Nov 2nd 2005

Children: 2 gorgeous girls

Thursday, June 17th 2010, 8:01pm

I am still in denial that I'm pregnant - the idea of seeing consultants is not new to me, but a midwife - eek - makes it sound real!

Scary isn't it? I remember feeling like that going in Mothercare for the first time and expecting someone to come along and frogmarch me out because I didn't belong there!

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE