You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "Newly Wed" started this thread
  • United Kingdom

Reg: Dec 22nd 2008

Children: Beautiful twin daughters and two grown up stepdaughters

Tuesday, April 13th 2010, 10:03am

Big Twins

I have read a few threads about twins measuring small, but mine are measuring on the big side. I had a scan last night and they are each 4 - 4.5lbs at 30 weeks + 3 days and are on course to be 8lbs each if I go to 38 weeks (and there is no sign of anything happening early)! As my pregnancy has progressed I have become less and less worried about giving birth and more focus on delivering my babies as safely as possible, but now I am really nervous again. Although they are within the normal range (around 75th centile for singletons), I have just had a sleepless night and an upset stomach from worrying about how I am going to carry two big babies for another 7 weeks. Daddy is of course thrilled at having produced such heafty and healthy babies but he doesn't have to carry or deliver them!

Has anyone else had BIG twins? I would really appreciate hearing your experiences.
Newly Wed

ICSI December 2008 - chemical pregnancy
ICSI May 2009 - BFN
FET September 2009 - BFP
Beautiful twin girls born 30 April 2010

Eli

Ace

Reg: Oct 6th 2008

Children: 2 Girls

Tuesday, April 13th 2010, 10:28am

Hi NW,
From what i have been reading and my personal experiance, twins and single babies grow at the same rate up to 30 weeks and then the twin start growing slower than a single baby, (I can not remember why that was), just checked my notes and my 2 had similar weights at 31 week and at 37 + 2 the girls arived at 5.95 and 6.4 pounds. I know how hard and heavy it is but try and stay positive belive me you will manage, just rest as much as you can.
Good luck!
Eli
Me 32, DH 34

• United Kingdom

Tuesday, April 13th 2010, 11:02am

Thanks Eli, that is very reassuring!

Gosh, I can't believe your girls are nearly 6 months already. I hope everything is going well.
Newly Wed

ICSI May 2009 - BFN
FET September 2009 - BFP

Reg: Mar 9th 2008

Children: Otis and Ava, July 2010 following successful FERC

Tuesday, April 13th 2010, 6:40pm

Newly Wed I'm so glad you've posted this at my twenty week scan I was told "oh they are very good sizes for single babies". Looking at my notes they were apparently between 50% and 90%. and at the 24 week scan they the same %s. I've had images for giving birth to two huge babies but more worryingly carrying to huge babies for the next 12-13 weeks.

Pushoz

roxy7

Star

Reg: Dec 1st 2008

Children: DS born 11/06

Tuesday, April 13th 2010, 7:23pm

I had a similar experience, NW. They were on 50th centile at 26 week scan, then one above and one just below 95th on next scan (eek!), then back to normal again a month or so later and now they've continued on the same trajectory. I wouldn't worry too much about one scan either - they can be notoriously inaccurate!

Me 41, DP 42
Diagnosis PCOS and old age!
DS 11/06 (clomid)
Mm/c of natural pg 03/08
1st IVF 02/09 (ectopic)
FET 08/09 :BFP:
cs booked for 20/04/10

• United Kingdom

Tuesday, April 13th 2010, 10:15pm

Thank Roxy. That's very reassuring. I have no shortage of scans - my obstetrician scans me at every appointment which is every 2-3 weeks (I am up to scan 14!) - so hopefully next time I see him I will have healthy but petite twinlets. Congratulations for cooking your girls for so long. Only a week to go before you meet them.

Pushoz, we can moan and groan together. The aches and pains are no fun but they will certainly be worth it.
Newly Wed

ICSI May 2009 - BFN
FET September 2009 - BFP

mrsjasper

Megastar

Reg: Nov 2nd 2005

Children: 2 gorgeous girls

Thursday, April 15th 2010, 12:00pm

Hi Newly Wed,
Hope you don't mind me posting here. Have a look at this thread here Calling All Mums - FZ Survey on Estimated Baby Weights its about estimating babies weights whilst they are still in the womb. Most of the responders are mums of singletons but as you can see, its a very innacurate science and lots of predicted 'huge' babies actually turned out to be quite normal. In any case, 8lb is not a huge baby, its well within normal range. Lots of women delivery 8lbers and bigger with no problems (myself included). Remember your body is designed to deliver babies, I hope you can relax about it. Try and keep as active as you can without overdoing it to help keep your joints supple and your fitness levels up. Swimming is good exercise and its lovely to feel weightless in the water in the last trimester when you are the size of a house quite big!

roxy7

Star

Reg: Dec 1st 2008

Children: DS born 11/06

Thursday, April 15th 2010, 7:41pm

Thank Roxy. That's very reassuring. I have no shortage of scans - my obstetrician scans me at every appointment which is every 2-3 weeks (I am up to scan 14!) - so hopefully next time I see him I will have healthy but petite twinlets. Congratulations for cooking your girls for so long. Only a week to go before you meet them.

Pushoz, we can moan and groan together. The aches and pains are no fun but they will certainly be worth it.

I've not posted on the thread mentioned by Mrs Jasper above but I just wanted to add that my singleton was estimated as weighing 7lb plus at 39 weeks and they were trying to press me to have an elective caesarean as I had gestational diabetes and they said he was going to be big. I refused and went into spontaneious labour almost 3 weeks later at 41+5 wks. He weighed 5 lb 15 oz at birth - just goes to show how wrong they can be!

Me 41, DP 42
Diagnosis PCOS and old age!
DS 11/06 (clomid)
Mm/c of natural pg 03/08
1st IVF 02/09 (ectopic)
FET 08/09 :BFP:
cs booked for 20/04/10

Ros

Megastar

Reg: Mar 14th 2008

Children: twin girls thanks to PGD!

Monday, April 19th 2010, 4:23pm

As you know, i had the opposite issue with mine being very small, but i just wanted to pop in and say hello and that
i'm sure your body will be fine growing with two good sized babies hun. Thinking of you in these last few weeks :) x

After 5 years of endo surgery, clomid, 2 x MM/C, 2 x ICSI cycles and 1 PGD cycle,
beautiful twin girls born 8th Feb 2010, we are so grateful

Germany

Reg: Nov 12th 2007

Children: Twin boys born April '10 thanks to ICSI

Wednesday, April 21st 2010, 5:23pm

Hi Newlywed, my twins were always measuring big, until about 33w when they measured about average. I ended up having a C-section purely because they estimated that one twin was much bigger than the other and they didn't want the trend to continue, so fetched them out earlier rather than later. In the end, even though the estimated weight difference was 600g, the actual difference was only 270g, and the biggest twin was about 200-300g (0.4-0.6 lb) smaller than estimated. In any case, whatever size they are, carrying all that weight around is definitely hard work, when I hold one twin on my arm now, and my arm starts aching, I can't believe what I was carrying around in my belly!

4x IUI
Mar 08 IVF BFN
Jun 08 ICSI BFN
Sep 08 ICSI BFN
Oct 08 FET BFN
Apr 09 ICSI brief BFP
Aug 09 ICSI :BFP:

Me 40, DH 38

Our dream came true,

Lukas and Finn were born 13/04/10 at 36w6d biggrin2
My diary

• United Kingdom

Monday, July 12th 2010, 1:36pm

Just a quick update for anyone worrying about their twins being big based upon scans. My girls were born @ 33 weeks weighing 3lbs 15oz and 4lb 5oz. They are still tiny 10 weeks on weighing just over 8lbs.
Newly Wed

ICSI May 2009 - BFN
FET September 2009 - BFP

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE