You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "wishdust" started this thread

Reg: Dec 30th 2008

Sunday, March 21st 2010, 9:31am

Sciatica

Hi Girlies,
I know that a lot of people get sciatica when pregnant. I think I have it for the last few days. Been having a lot of pain down my left bum/arse/buttock! It is agony when turning over in bed and I can't even load the washing machine because if I bend forward too far it is excrutiatingly painful.

Was at the doctor on Friday and mentioned it, she more or less smirked at me. Seems fixated on the fact that I am marginally overweight - so of course ANYTHING that happens must be weight related and its almost like "I told you so" attitude, which is very unhelpful.

I was wondering if anyone has any advice, exercises - what support belt - anything I should or shouldn't do?
Can't see myself surviving this for the next 18-20 weeks ... it would bring you to tears.

WD
Apr '09 - Lap & Dye (I blocked tube - adhesions removed from other)
July '09 :BFP:
Sep '09 - 9w 3d - MMC
Oct '09 :BFP:
Bubba is a little girl!

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "wishdust" (Mar 21st 2010, 9:32am)

Pootle

Megastar

Reg: Mar 31st 2007

Children: 2 beautiful girls.

Sunday, March 21st 2010, 8:50pm

Hi Wishdust!

God I can relate to everything being put down to weight! I know of course that some things are but it gets your goat when that's always given as a reason, doesn't it!

No idea about sciatica I'm afraid but reckon a call to your midwife wouldn't hurt. She must have seen it before and should at least have some advice on how to alleviate the pain a little.

x

My family is complete...I am grateful every day

DD1, natural miracle, 2005
DD2, IVF miracle, 2008

United Kingdom

Reg: Dec 22nd 2008

Children: Beautiful twin daughters and two grown up stepdaughters

Monday, March 22nd 2010, 11:02am

I am sending you my sympathies.

I have had sciatica for the past 10 weeks and there is not a lot that can be done about it. All I can suggest is (a) getting a long pillow to support your bump and between your legs at night, (b) changing position during the day (i.e. from sitting to standing to lying down) as often as possible; and (c) in desparation I saw an osetopath last week - jury is still out on whether it will help.
Newly Wed

ICSI December 2008 - chemical pregnancy
ICSI May 2009 - BFN
FET September 2009 - BFP
Beautiful twin girls born 30 April 2010

Reg: Dec 27th 2008

Tuesday, March 23rd 2010, 8:41am

Hi, just saw this thread and thought I'd mention my experience. I have suffered with sciatica in small doses before. Unfortunately, I really could link it with weight as it only flared up when I was off the boil and gained weight, but I appreciate that is not always the case and your GP really isn't being very helpful!

As painful as it is, the very best thing for it is...... exercise! I'm not talking anything major but a gentle walk really will loosen up the joints and ease the pain. Sciatica is caused by a trapped nerve and you need to release it to stop the pain. It will probably hurt a bit at first but keep a good posture and perhaps find somewhere flat you could walk for say 10 minutes or so?

I know it's probably not what you wanted to hear but wanted to share what worked for me.

Good Luck!

ICSI Dec 08 & June 09 BFN, ICSI Dec 09 :BFP: Our miracle son born 1st Oct 2010

Ginger74

Superstar

Germany

Reg: Aug 7th 2008

Children: It's a girl!

Tuesday, March 23rd 2010, 8:58am

I had that and earlier (don't remember when exactly/how many wks sorry) when it supposed to happen, ah I am sorry you are in pain, yes it was very painful and then it went away.... so I didn't have to do anything about it really. Hope it will go away too in your case! Good luck with the rest of your PG! :)

Feb 09 God's Miracle - Natural BFP.
Sept 09 Thanks to God - Scrumptious baby girl is here. Please grow healthy and happy.

Reg: Aug 1st 2009

Children: 4 boys 3 living 1 deceased

What's Up?
Life is getting there - mainly good days

Tuesday, March 23rd 2010, 5:43pm

hi wishdust,

first of all, let me say ireally do know what youre going thru. my first 3 pregnancies were a tribute to sciatica. i dont know about it being weight related, im 7.5 stone wet through non pregnant and usually 8 stone 3 full term. i kept getting from 13 weeks onwards and mine was constant, not coming and going - so believe me i feel your pain!

i found unfortunately, that only 1 thing helped get rid of my sciatica and that was delivery of the baby. walking sticks allieviated it somewhat, but some days i couldnt even get off the sofa and walk to the loo let alone exercising. painkillers (paracetamol did absolutely bugger all) were no halp whatsoever. i found that a warm bath would take the pain away until i got out and that it was usually back with a vengeance.

the doctors and antenatal consultants did absolutely nothing and it was 6 months or 18 months if you count all 3 of sheer torture. but it does get better when the baby is born. on my 1st, sciatica was gone within an hour of delivery, 2nd it was gone within 4 hrs and last baby within a week, but i was so much older.

so sorry its doom and gloom, but you are not alone honey in your suffering. i wish you all the luck in the world and hope yours either goes away shortly or isnt constant as mine was.

take care hun and my heart goes out to you

xxxxx
After a long hard infertility journey, i am now reluctantly done

• "wishdust" started this thread

Reg: Dec 30th 2008

Tuesday, March 23rd 2010, 7:47pm

Hi Girls, thanks for all the replies.
I think I have been lucky on this one, the pain has gradually eased over the last few days. Its almost completely gone.
What I have found useful is the exercise the yoga teacher gave on Saturday.
To put the leg with sciatica with the ankle on the knee of the other leg. I also do pelvic tilts.

I'll tell you, there was nothing like the pain of it - obviously whatever position the baby was in.

WD
Apr '09 - Lap & Dye (I blocked tube - adhesions removed from other)
July '09 :BFP:
Sep '09 - 9w 3d - MMC
Oct '09 :BFP:
Bubba is a little girl!