You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "k todd" started this thread

Reg: Jun 16th 2009

Children: twin girls

Thursday, March 4th 2010, 9:18pm

Folic Acid and Iron throughout pregnancy ?

I had my 1st midwife appointment today at 10w. The DR that scanned me told me to stay on folic acid until end of pregnancy, take a multivitamin and double dose of iron. Has anyone else been advised to stay on folic acid until end of pregnancy ?

Kirstin's Parenting Diary

Jan 09 Icsi BFN May 09 Fet BFN Sept 09 Icsi BFN Jan 10 :BFP:
:girl: :girl: c-section 13/09/10

Reg: Mar 17th 2008

Children: Twins!

Thursday, March 4th 2010, 10:29pm

Hi Kirstin -
I've not been advised as such, but will be taking my Pregnacare tablet and Omega 3 tablet to the end just to be sure. There's no harm in making sure you top up all your vitamins and minerals and plenty of iron's needed for all that extra blood pumping around in your body! :smile:
* Emma * :smile:
TTC 8 yrs PCOS - Clomidx10 - IVFx3
Nov 2009 Last try: Short protocol ICSI - wonderful BFP!!! -
TWINS!!
: D

United Kingdom

Reg: Dec 22nd 2008

Children: Beautiful twin daughters and two grown up stepdaughters

Thursday, March 4th 2010, 10:31pm

I was put on a mega dose of folic acid only available on prescription. I was also prescribed iron and calcium tablets but told not to bother with multi vitamins. Not sure why....!
Newly Wed

ICSI December 2008 - chemical pregnancy
ICSI May 2009 - BFN
FET September 2009 - BFP
Beautiful twin girls born 30 April 2010

Australia

Reg: Mar 18th 2008

Children: we have 4 "children" Molly, Brutus, Slinky and BJ. 2 dog and 2 cats

Friday, March 5th 2010, 1:18am

Hi Ladies,

Quick question did any of you try the elevit?

if so did it make you feel like you where going to throw up? not sure what to think...

Sorry for butting in
Marsha's Diary
life is always a challange... thats why we chose to fight.

Reg: Jul 3rd 2008

Children: 2 beautiful twin daughters :)

Friday, March 5th 2010, 8:27am

Hi Kirstin,

I was put on 5mg of folic acid plus iron tablets throughout my pregnancy, apparently it's routinely recommended by some consultants. The presumption is that carrying two you are very likely to become anaemic so it's preventative.

Marsha - sorry I didnt take elevit

xxx

Moonshine

Reg: Dec 27th 2008

Friday, March 5th 2010, 8:35am

Hi Kirsten, I know I'm not a multiple mummy but thought I'd share what my midwife said..... She said that if I'm going to continue with vitamins after 12 weeks to make sure it is a Pregnancy multi vitamin, not just your average supermarket one. The reason is that normal multi vitamins contain too much of Vitamin A, which can be harmful to babies.

You probably already know all this but thought I'd say it just incase.

ICSI Dec 08 & June 09 BFN, ICSI Dec 09 :BFP: Our miracle son born 1st Oct 2010

• "k todd" started this thread

Reg: Jun 16th 2009

Children: twin girls

Friday, March 5th 2010, 8:54am

Thanks everyone for your advice. It says that folic acid can help blood formation in both mother and baby later in pregnancy. I just wanted to be sure I had heard DR correctly as midwife told me to stop at 12 weeks as it had no benefit after that.
:thanx:

Kirstin's Parenting Diary

Jan 09 Icsi BFN May 09 Fet BFN Sept 09 Icsi BFN Jan 10 :BFP:
:girl: :girl: c-section 13/09/10

roxy7

Star

Reg: Dec 1st 2008

Children: DS born 11/06

Friday, March 5th 2010, 9:55am

Me too! I've been taking the Pregnacare with the Omega 3 AND had to step up my Spatone iron supplement from 1 to 3 sachets per day! I'm sure I read somewhere that it's "normal" to have a slightly lower iron count in a twin pregnancy as your blood volume increases so much (by 70%) apparently that the iron count gets diluted. I've hovered just below the 11 mark and am hoping for it to be around that still when I get my test results this month. I definately feel less tired when I have higher iron levels.

Me 41, DP 42
Diagnosis PCOS and old age!
DS 11/06 (clomid)
Mm/c of natural pg 03/08
1st IVF 02/09 (ectopic)
FET 08/09 :BFP:
cs booked for 20/04/10

Indiechick

Superstar

Reg: Oct 25th 2007

Friday, March 5th 2010, 3:58pm

I took pregnacare throughout my pregnancy and was also pescribed iron tablets after several fainting episodes! :sadface:

3rd IUI - 08/08/08 - tested 22/08/08 BFP :D
Scan 09/09/08 - 2 [zx076] [zx076] TWINS!
2 beautiful boys born 16/04/09

csam

Star

United Kingdom

Friday, March 5th 2010, 4:09pm

Hi

I've been advise to take Prenacare. Roxy interesting what you say about feeling less tired when your iron levels are higher. Mine are about 10 and I'm so so tired all the time, no matter how well/badly I've slept at night! I've also had a lot of dizzy spells. I was half hoping I was anemic so I could be prescribed Iron tablets, but then they can give you constipation so maybe it's not a bad thing I'm not on them! I just didn't expect to feel this tired!

xxxxx

Eli

Ace

Reg: Oct 6th 2008

Children: 2 Girls

Saturday, March 6th 2010, 6:37am

Hi
I was on 5mg Folic acid and iron for the whole pregnancy prescribed from my consultant, I rmember been told that you must not take any milk(anything with calcium) 1 hour before or after you take iron tablet as the calcium prevents the absorbsion of iron and it is best to take with orange juce.
Eli
Me 32, DH 34

Reg: Mar 9th 2008

Children: Otis and Ava, July 2010 following successful FERC

Saturday, March 6th 2010, 9:02pm

I've been taking pregnacare for months now and at my first midwife app't she said to take an extra Folic Acid tablet as well. When I had my first anti-natal appointment at the hospital the registrar recommended taking an iron tablet a day for anemia. I was a bit P****d off and spoke to my midwife as I had only had my blodd taken that morning but she said it is just to prevent anaemia as opposed to anything else. I did get an initial prescription but went to Tesco's and thye do 100 tablets for £3 so I couldn't be bothered to go to the doctors every 30 days to get another prescription.

Pushoz
Pushoz
1st ICSI July 09- BFN

FET Oct/Nov - BFP

It's Twins!!!!!

roxy7

Star

Reg: Dec 1st 2008

Children: DS born 11/06

Monday, March 8th 2010, 6:51pm

Hi

I've been advise to take Prenacare. Roxy interesting what you say about feeling less tired when your iron levels are higher. Mine are about 10 and I'm so so tired all the time, no matter how well/badly I've slept at night! I've also had a lot of dizzy spells. I was half hoping I was anemic so I could be prescribed Iron tablets, but then they can give you constipation so maybe it's not a bad thing I'm not on them! I just didn't expect to feel this tired!

xxxxx

I can't recommend Spatone iron supplements enough for not causing constipation. I'm a long term user of Spatone as I havea blood disorder that leaves me generally slightly anaemic and tired. I've upped my intake to two sachets every other day and three on alternate days and that seems to be a good dose for me coupled with the Pregnacare. This is spatone's link http://www.nelsonsnaturalworld.com/en-gb…brands/spatone/ Hilary the lady who deals with the orders is lovely and has a twin connection (can't recall if she's a twin herself or has twins herself - think the latter). She gave me a really good discount when I called and made a bulk order because of my increased iron requirements in pregnancy (didn't even have to ask!)

R x

Me 41, DP 42
Diagnosis PCOS and old age!
DS 11/06 (clomid)
Mm/c of natural pg 03/08
1st IVF 02/09 (ectopic)
FET 08/09 :BFP:
cs booked for 20/04/10

csam

Star

United Kingdom

Monday, March 8th 2010, 7:38pm

Thanks Roxy, I'll have a look later at that link. I think I'm always bordering on lower levels of iron anyway, as I'm a vegetarian.I think I get caught in a vicious circle, too tired to do anything (which I actually think would help) but doing nothing makes me tired!

xxxx

Hyacinth

Reg: May 6th 2008

Children: Twin girls born May 2010

Thursday, March 25th 2010, 10:45pm

My consultant put me on 5mg of folic acid and 200mg iron and i've been told to stay on it till the twinlets are born. I got told this was standard for multiple pregnancies, but I suppose this could vary from trust to trust.
Me: PCOS DH: SA normal

Oct 08 - March 09 = 6x cycles of Clomid all :BFN:

started Ovulation Induction

June 09:Menapur 75 and Pregnyl - :BFN:

July 09: Menapur 150 and Pregnyl - :BFN:
Oct 2009 :Menapur 150 + 225 and Pregnyl - :BFP: :girl: :girl:

Reg: Mar 9th 2008

Children: Otis and Ava, July 2010 following successful FERC

Friday, March 26th 2010, 2:40pm

Spoke to my consultant on Tuesday as I've been getting a lot of bowel pain and not going to the toilet very often (sorry if this is TMI). Anyway he checked my Haemogolbin levels from my booking in appointment and said they were good so suggested that I maybe just take the iron tablet every other day and we'll see how things go.

Pushoz
Pushoz
1st ICSI July 09- BFN

FET Oct/Nov - BFP

It's Twins!!!!!

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE