You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "claire_A" started this thread
  • Germany

Reg: Nov 12th 2007

Children: Twin boys born April '10 thanks to ICSI

Tuesday, January 26th 2010, 2:11pm

At 26 weeks, have been told that it's ok to gain no more weight until the end of pregnancy

I have to control my diet due to borderline results in my glucose tolerance test (the 'starved' value was borderline, and 1 and 2 hours after the sugar solution the results were ok). My Dr. said that as I have already gained 14kg during the pregnancy (it is twins), it would be ok if I don't gain any more weight for the rest of the pregnancy. That means that I would effectively be losing weight, as the babies still have weight to gain. Does that sound a bit dodgy to anyone? I wasn't overweight before getting pregnant.

4x IUI
Mar 08 IVF BFN
Jun 08 ICSI BFN
Sep 08 ICSI BFN
Oct 08 FET BFN
Apr 09 ICSI brief BFP
Aug 09 ICSI :BFP:

Me 40, DH 38

Our dream came true,

Lukas and Finn were born 13/04/10 at 36w6d biggrin2
My diary

Grace

Princess of the Universe

United Kingdom

Reg: Jul 29th 2008

Children: 1 beautiful little son conceived through ICSI and one equally beautiful little boy concieved naturally!

What's Up?
Oh god I've got Puppies!

Tuesday, January 26th 2010, 2:57pm

Have you spoken to your midwife? I also had borderline GTT test and my MW said that the important thing is to eat 1 and a quarter what you would usually eat and forget about weight gain aspect, it's more important you are eating a healthy balanced diet then worrying about not gaining weight. Ask them to refer you to a dietition as you have a way to go before insulin requirements peak and it's important that you make sure you get a handle on any potential glucose problems before they cause problems with bubs. I got myself a blood sugar monitor and monitored my sugar levels regularly after meals to see what made my sugars peak.

ICSI BFP DS1 born Nov 09
Natural BFP DS2 born Sept 11

Reg: Aug 1st 2009

Children: 4 boys 3 living 1 deceased

What's Up?
Life is getting there - mainly good days

Tuesday, January 26th 2010, 3:23pm

hi claire a,

i would have a word with m/w as well, cos surely losing weight while pg isnt a good thing at all. sorry the results didnt turn out to be a positive as they could have been, but i guess there not as bad as they could have been (on the flip side)

good luck honey.

jdm

xxxx
After a long hard infertility journey, i am now reluctantly done

pamelag088

Superstar

Reg: Oct 20th 2008

Children: tj born 20/11/09

Tuesday, January 26th 2010, 5:37pm

Just wanted to say I gained most of my weight in 1st 12 weeks, I stayed the same for last 8 weeks of pregnancy. As everyone else has said speak to MW as losing weight in pregnancy is not a good idea esp with twins.

Vezza

Star

Reg: Oct 17th 2005

Children: Baking a little Twinkle at the moment......

Wednesday, January 27th 2010, 11:24am

Claire hun, don't be down about the results.

I think that everyone is different with the weight gain thingy and as long as you are eating well for you and the babies to be healthy then what will be will be.
I know that I have lost weight in the last 6 weeks but growing bigger but then again I am very overweight anyway. A 'normal' sized friend of mine gained nearly 3 stone during pregnancy and lost it virtually straight away (cow bag I know - i pinched her til she was black and blue). But then again a skinny friend who had twinnies seemed to get big in the first tri, stay the same in the second and then inflate by the minute in the third. Everyone is different.

As long as you are getting the good things out of food then surely that is what is important rather than your weight. I must admit I don't really know a great deal about the blood sugar aspect but I would say that this and the weight gain are separate issues.
I mean, there are loads of diabetic people who are skinny-binnies so it can't be just linked to weight gain?

Chin up sweet - your babies are growing well and that is ALL that is important

x

5 August got a natural out of the blue:BFP: after 7 years of trying!!! How the heck did THAT happen - oh yeah by losing weight :D

Dreams really can come true.......

• Germany

Thursday, January 28th 2010, 10:12am

thanks for the replies everyone.

Grace, what your MW said sounds logical, I don't know why my Dr. is so bothered about it. I don't actually have a midwife, as I have such regular checkups at the Drs. I was planning to find one just for after the birth, but now feel like I need more input.

Jade, yes the results could have been worse, you're right :smile: .

Pamela, I agree, everything I found on the internet says that you shouldn't try and lose weight, which is what I would be doing by staying the same weight.

Vezza, thanks for the different examples, I thought that weight gain varied prettty widely.

I am going to ask the Dr. to refer me to a dietician, and have also remembered that a friend of my brother's is a midwife so I might ask her advice too. She's on maternity leave at the moment, and will soon be going back to work, so she might even be happy to get her brain back into midwife mode :smile: .

4x IUI
Mar 08 IVF BFN
Jun 08 ICSI BFN
Sep 08 ICSI BFN
Oct 08 FET BFN
Apr 09 ICSI brief BFP

Me 40, DH 38

Our dream came true,

My diary

Duffymoon

Megastar

Reg: Jun 11th 2007

Children: Boy/girl twins born 2010

Thursday, January 28th 2010, 11:09am

Hi Claire

I never had the glucose tes so don't really understand the results but would always follow any advice from my consultant.

Keeping the same weight though is like you say the equivalent of you losing weight and I can understand your concerns.

My advice regarding what to eat and quantities etc is to be as healthy as possible.

We're all different and in a pregnancy have very different wants and needs. I met up witha couple of my preggie friends yesterday and both had put on more weight than me but both had seen a definite increase in appetite whereas I haven't. Just one of those things.

The most important thing is the babies are well and where they should be on the growth chart but I would agree with what the other girls have said and check with your midwife as you're the one that has to carry them and it's important you're fit and well too and not worried about calories etc.

Stick with a healthy diet and you won't go far wrong. If weight happens to come off then so be it. I imagine your consultant just doesn't want your weight to continue rising for both your and the babies' health.

xxx

4 x ICSI BFN
5th time :BFP:
:boy: :girl:

Reg: Dec 30th 2008

Friday, January 29th 2010, 7:41pm

Hi Girls,
I am overweight - my GP told me at the first visit (8 weeks) that it would be okay for me not to put on any weight. In fact she told me to aim for that result. I went back for my second visit on Wednesday and she said "You can loose weight during pregnancy you know". DH was also quite clear that she was more or less TELLING me that I should be losing weight. Then when I was leaving the room she again said "same weight next time, remember". She said that I should eat a little less than for one. I am happy enough with that as long as I use those calories sensibly.

So ...
Breakfast
-----------
2 rivita
Glenisk natural yogurt
Piece of fruit.

Lunch
------
Chicken breast and a salad
One rivita.
Banana

Dinner
-------
Chili con carne (minus the rice)
Piece of fruit.

6 pints of water.

I have done this for the last 2 days and haven't been hungry once. I am hoping to continue this way - it is what I normally eat, but excludes any CRISPS, SWEETS, FILLED LUNCH ROLLS. Just healthy eating.

This week I have also walked both at lunch and in the evening.

WD
Apr '09 - Lap & Dye (I blocked tube - adhesions removed from other)
July '09 :BFP:
Sep '09 - 9w 3d - MMC
Oct '09 :BFP:
Bubba is a little girl!

• Germany

Monday, February 1st 2010, 2:06pm

Hi, thanks for the extra replies, I have been very strict about eating healthily, my weight dropped a bit but seems to be levelling now, so I'll just have to see how it goes over the next few weeks.

4x IUI
Mar 08 IVF BFN
Jun 08 ICSI BFN
Sep 08 ICSI BFN
Oct 08 FET BFN
Apr 09 ICSI brief BFP

Me 40, DH 38

Our dream came true,

My diary

roxy7

Star

Reg: Dec 1st 2008

Children: DS born 11/06

Thursday, February 4th 2010, 6:19am

Hi Claire, everything I've read says you need to gain weight during a pregnancy, and more weight during a twin pregnancy. From now on the recommended amount is about half a klio a week. Did you get to speak to that ante-natal dietician? I did and she emphasised the need for a balaned diet with suffiecient carbs in order to maintain a healthy pregnancy. I would have liked to have avoided the need to inject insulin and control my GD by diet but I was basically able to eat NO carbs and I was starving. Moreover, if you do this, apparently, you risk getting ketones in your urine. I've no idea what ketones are but I know they're not good for baby! I think they develop when you start burning our own reserves, rather than getting adequate energy for you and the babies from your diet. I'm sure a dietician could explain.

I'm only 5'1" (1.55m) and I'm now about 67 or 69 kilos (depending on which scales I use!) which is a gain of about 12 kilos. No one seems to be worried about this gain and the concern is for me to eat a healthy balanced diet and to not feel hungry.

Good luck with clarifying this

R x

Me 41, DP 42
Diagnosis PCOS and old age!
DS 11/06 (clomid)
Mm/c of natural pg 03/08
1st IVF 02/09 (ectopic)
FET 08/09 :BFP:
cs booked for 20/04/10

pamelag088

Superstar

Reg: Oct 20th 2008

Children: tj born 20/11/09

Thursday, February 4th 2010, 9:08pm

IMO I think its rediculous, I gained 11kg with a singleton and the lot was off within 2 months after giving birth, I lost a stone in 4 days.
As long as you are eating healthily and not just snacking on rubbish all day long I see nothing wrong with gaining weight while pregnant even if it isnt all baby(mine certainly wasnt)

• Germany

Sunday, May 16th 2010, 5:40pm

An update about weight gain here, the day before the twins arrived, I weighed myself at 93kg, a massive 27kg more than my pre-pregnancy weight (I did gain a few kg during tx too). Today the twins are 4 weeks 5 days old, and I weighed in at 69kg, so have lost 24kg since the birth. I had a huge amount of water retention before and the weight has just dropped off me. Can't wait to tell my Dr. when I have my 6 week appt!

4x IUI
Mar 08 IVF BFN
Jun 08 ICSI BFN
Sep 08 ICSI BFN
Oct 08 FET BFN
Apr 09 ICSI brief BFP

Me 40, DH 38

Our dream came true,

My diary

Flic

Italy Poland

Reg: May 8th 2008

Children: Had my first daughter on 25th February 2010!

What's Up?
Stressed.

Tuesday, May 18th 2010, 1:40pm

Ooooh, you go girl!!!

Our miracle was born on 25.02.2010!!