You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "Saffy" started this thread

Reg: Mar 27th 2009

Friday, January 8th 2010, 11:17pm

Rainbows, brownies and guides

Not really sure where to put this but this seemed like as good a place as any.

A few months ago I volunteered to help at the local Brownies. Never thought I would hear anything but tonight I got a phonecall. They are desperate for Rainbow leaders but as I was set on Brownies (as I thought they did more so I would find it more interesting) I have agreeded to go along to a meeting of each over next week. So now I am wondering what on earth I am letting myself in for having minimal exposure to children.

So can any of you lovely ladies help. What am I to expect of your average 5-7, 7-10 and 10-14 year old, and how do I connect with them?? Any help gratefully recieved

Sxx
PCOS and Azoo, what to do? Adopt smile2

Saffy's Diary

Jodie

Megastar

Reg: Mar 31st 2007

Children: 2 beautiful girls.

Sunday, January 10th 2010, 9:09pm

Hi Saffy

No idea really as my DD1 is only 4..............

However, she's signed up to join rainbows and is sooooooooo excited! From what I understand they do lots of different things and she's looking forward to the arts/craft type stuff (which we do a lot at home anyway!) and going outside and looking at nature - plants, insects etc. I think there's an emphasis on working together with the other girls so hopefully that'll be fun for her.

What to expect - well, from my DD it would be a million questions and enthusiasm by the bucketload. However, she can be a bit shy infront of others and wouldn't want to perform, i.e. sing on her own etc.

How to connect? Really listen to what they're saying and don't treat them like idiots! She likes to have a proper conversation and likes to share what she's learnt or found out! And enjoy yourself - get stuck in and have fun!

Good luck!

x

My family is complete...I am grateful every day

DD1, natural miracle, 2005
DD2, IVF miracle, 2008

GemH

Star

Reg: Nov 27th 2006

Location: Romford - Me 30. MC @ 14 wks Aug 03. 7 courses of Clomid all bfn, waiting for af to start iui when shock natural bfp. M/C 29/06/2010.Separated from ex-DH in 07/10. In a new(ish) relationship with an old friend and ttc no 2 :)

Children: George 21/11/2008 - my surprise natural bfp. Oliver 09/05/2013 - my little happy chappy

Friday, January 15th 2010, 11:20am

Hi

I was a Rainbow leader for many years, absolutely loved it! Second everything Jodie says, theyre so different an its very rewarding. Honestly once Gs old enough hes going to Cubs and Im going with him!! x

Reg: Feb 4th 2009

Sunday, January 17th 2010, 7:32pm

Hi Saffy

my daughter has just moved up from Rainbows to the Brownies and i would say the most noticable feature about the leaders are that they are all slighty bonkers ( in a good way ! )
The main thing i would say is enjoy their company, take your cues from them because they all have different needs and remember they are like wee sponges they love to learn. Be ready to answer lots and lots of questions and scarily intelligent conversation from some of them.
The loud kids and quiet kids all want the same thing- you to pay attention to them. and to have as much fun as possible ( generaly the noisier or the messier the better )
Isla calls all her leaders Auntie, and absolutey adores them.

You will love it and they will love you, Enjoy your self nic xx

• "philippa_s" is no longer a member of FZ

Reg: Jan 12th 2008

Sunday, January 17th 2010, 9:26pm

I too was a Rainbows 'helper' when my DD1 was 5/6 ish. She then went on to Brownies and Guides up until she was about 13 and loved it, especially the trips away.

As a volunteer you will be guided by the brown owl type person (can't remember what it is for Rainbows) and possibly plan an activity...anything that is generally noisy, involves running around and treasure hunty used to go down well or craft type activities.

You can expect to be jumped on, have your jewellery admired and possibly have your ear drums burst but all good fun :-)

Good luck x
2 gorgeous girls and 1 on the way

• "Saffy" started this thread

Reg: Mar 27th 2009

Sunday, January 17th 2010, 10:11pm

Thanks everyone :thumbsup2:

Well I survived rainbows, they were very chatty, we did a craft type thing and then lots of games which involved running around. I'm going along to brownies this week, will be intersting to see the difference.
PCOS and Azoo, what to do? Adopt smile2

Saffy's Diary

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE