You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Mel

• "Mel" started this thread

Reg: May 10th 2006

Monday, July 10th 2006, 4:12pm

placenta previa

Firstly thank you for all your warm welcomes!

Life has been extremely hectic with school break-ups etc so have not had the opportunity to log on too often. Back to work now so have a great excuse to stay on line.

I would be really grateful for any helpful comments. I went for my 20 week scan and have had a total placenta previa diagnosed. I'd had bleeding at 12-14 weeks and was warned that this could be the reason. It seems well and truly attached along the bottom and have been told to prepare mentally for a c-section. After the initial disappointment (not had a good history with them, my son was an emergency c-section and I didn't get to see him for 4 days) I know that all that is imporatant is a healthy baby and I would happily sit quietly in a dark cupboard if that helped! However, life carries on around me and with dh away all week and three growing children to chase after I don't know how careful I should be. I googled it and very quickly wished I hadn't. We had a holiday to Beijing organised (husband gets v v cheap flights via work so cancelling wasn't a problem) but would be very grateful for advice as how to tackle the coming months. I'm coming up to 23 weeks and feel like keeping my legs crossed for another 10!

Thanks to all,

Mel

Mel

Monday, July 10th 2006, 4:13pm

RE: placenta previa

PS I [/I]really did try to get the ticker up but as you can see failed miserably!

Eeyore

TECHNICAL ADMIN

United Kingdom

Reg: Sep 27th 2005

What's Up?
Manners are appreciated
and free to use

Monday, July 10th 2006, 4:21pm

I have PM'd you about your ticker Mel!!

You need the 2nd lot of code from lilypie which is BBCode and will look like this

url=http://lilypie.com]img]http://bd.lilypie.com/92Mrp1/.png[/img][/url

but will have [ at the beginning and ] at the end

x

Have we supported you? Can you support us?

CLICK HERE FOR FERTILITYZONE SUPPORT & MEMBERSHIP

My journey has now ended. 6 babies in Heaven.

'It'll be all right in the end - if it isn't all right yet then it isn't the end!'

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Monday, July 10th 2006, 5:01pm

Hi Mel :)

Firstly, don't compare your previous emergency section to one which has been planned. They are worlds apart and if you need to have one this time it ought to go really smoothly, leaving you sat up and cuddling your baby with a very short space of time.

A total placenta previa does indicate that a section is certain so I agree that it's important to prepare mentally for that however I presume that your main concern is the bleeding that is common amongst Mums with PP.

You'll already know that the risk of bleeding is heightened in the final trimester so extra care should be taken then. It's not unknown for ladies to spend the final weeks in hospital so again, being mentally prepared will make things easier if it comes to the crunch.

You might like to discuss where your placenta is with your cons and what kind of incision he will make as the criteria differs from a 'normal' section.

I know that being told to 'take things easy' probably isn't an option but you really do need to be cautious about charging around after your other children. It's not for long but it's important that you don't over exert yourself or you may find yourself in hospital for a month.

Mel

Monday, July 10th 2006, 8:35pm

Thank you Bells. It hadn't crossed my mind that the incision would be different from my last one but of course it probably would, I will ask at my appointment. My main worry is bleeding. I do feel like I'm sitting on a potential time bomb. Hopefully all will be ok, but the uncertainty is certainly keeping me awake at night.

Rose

Star

Reg: Oct 12th 2005

Children: now have little boy!

Tuesday, July 11th 2006, 8:26am

Hi Mel, welcome to Fz and congrats on being PG!

As regards your pp, if it is totally accross the lower part of your uterusand cervix then a cs is almost guarrenteed unfortunately, and as you prob kow already, the likelyhood of bleeding during your pregnancy is increased from a "normal" prganancy. So, as has been mentioned, you really do need to take it easy (easier said than done i know).
i think it a good idea that you do prepare mentally for both a cs and a stay inhospital prioir to the birth as many hospital like to have you "nearby" towards the end just in case of any bleeding.

Sorry if i've panicked you any more, i really didn't mean to hun.
xx

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Tuesday, July 11th 2006, 9:54am

I know how it feels to lay awake at night worrying, I really do but worrying doesn't help anything, it's counter poductive.

Worrying is like riding a rocking horse, it gives you something to do but it doesn't get you anywhere.

I don't know if you're like me, I tend to worry about things in the middle of the night that I would deal with during the day. I know that in my case, it's down to tiredness because I can deal with problems pretty well when it's daylight and I'm upright ..... just those wee small hours make me tie myself in a knot with a million things rushing through my brain.

The solution for me is to get up and write down the thing that are worrying me in a list so that I can confront them in daylight hours with a reasonable amount of judgment. I feel that by doing this I have taken measures to deal with them which makes it easier to stop worrying.

As far as minimising risk, there isn't much you can do. Sky diving and parachuting are out unfortunately but there are little things that you can do to be extra careful like not carrying 12 bags of shopping, not carrying the hoover upstairs and limiting your movements to small, conscious, manageable ones.

If you're going to bleed you'll bleed and many people do but the risks are low to you and your baby because this is a common condition that can be very effectively managed.

TheZooKeeper

Unregistered

Tuesday, July 11th 2006, 12:09pm

'Worrying is like riding a rocking horse, it gives you something to do but it doesn't get you anywhere.'

Wish I had that attitude Bells - I end up worrying myself into a mess!

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "TheZooKeeper" (Jul 11th 2006, 12:09pm)

Mel

Tuesday, July 11th 2006, 2:14pm

Thank you for your comments. At night time certainly any pregnancy worries certainly seem to be at their peak. I think a lot of that is because I am so rushed during the day that when it's only me awake I have time to think - never a very good idea! I try to be rational because I know things will seem different in the light of day, but trawling through the internet looking at different horror stories before bedtime doesn't help. I love the rocking horse analogy - you're absolutely right Bells, it doesn't get me anywhere! Will attempt to look at the positives and chill more. The unpredictability of it is what freaks me out - but I suppose you could sum that up as the whole process from conception right the way through!

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE