You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "Peppermint Patty" started this thread

Reg: Jul 17th 2006

Tuesday, December 8th 2009, 3:48pm

giving birth to a bigger baby after episiotomy

I have just had a growth scan at 34 weeks...the birth weight of this baby has been estimated at over 8lbs!

my ds was 6lbs 1oz and i was unable to push him out...he was in foetal distress and his heart rate dropped and the emergency cord pulled to take me in for a c-section. in the end i had an un anesthesised episiotomy and thankfully he was fine.

i am now terrified at giving birth to a bigger baby - since a smaller one proved so difficult and after giving birht less than 2 years ago! dh gave me a perinial massage last night and the site of my stitches flet weird and sore...

not only am i scared this baby will blow out the entire region, but also about it being in distress when born and god forbid something going wrong. i have had terrible back and pelvic pains this time around and walking has been almost impossible at time. i have seen the chiropractor (a few times!) an he says that my pelvis is tilted and then the surrounding muscles spasam around it. he keeps telling me it needs to be straighter or giving birth will be a problem....

i am so confused...am i meant to ask for a c section? will everything be ok? has anyone given birth normally in this situation and not had problems or put the baby at risk?
Peppermint Patty

Me 29 - DH 34
PCOS & Male Factor
TTC 2yrs
3 x Clomid - 3 x BFN
Ovarian Drilling Nov 06
ICSI March 07 - BFP 4/4/7- OHSS - All Gone 12/4/7
ICSI Aug 07 - DR July 13th - Shock NATURAL BFP 25th July 07! - baby boy march 08
May 09 - VERY SHOCKING NATURAL BFP!!!! - Baby Girl Jan 10

Fi'smum

United Kingdom

Reg: Feb 14th 2009

Children: 2 dd 1978 ds 1980 And 1 gorgeous granddaughter 2010 and a handsome grandson 2012

Tuesday, December 8th 2009, 5:28pm

Hi there
Fi's SIL had a forceps delivery with her 1st baby who was just over 7lbs. She had her 2nd 4 years later in the birthing pool (couldn't get out of the water in time)
This baby was 9 and 1/2 lbs
She's only about 5'2" and very slimly built.
Second babies usually have an easier journey, cos 1st one paved the way. Your perineum will stretch more easily this time. Try not to cross bridges till you come to them :D

compley

Megastar

Reg: Apr 30th 2006

Children: DS and DD

Thursday, December 10th 2009, 11:11am

It's not quite the same situation as you, but I had a 3rd degree tear, with H. He was born at 6lb 2ozs. L was just over a lb heavier at 7lb 3ozs, and I had no tear/required no stitching, nothing! Just a couple of minor vaginal lacerations.

I don't know all the info surrounding the birth of your DS, but I know with mine, I think the different circumstances with each delivery, made a huge difference.

It can be very hard, when you had a difficult first delivery, as naturally you will have mixed feelings about your 2nd labour/delivery. Have you discussed your concerns with your mw/drs?

xxx

<

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Thursday, December 10th 2009, 11:17am

I too had a difficult first delivery and was prepped for an episitomy but pushed her out before they got the scissors in and tore quite badly in the process leaving me with quite a lot of stitches. My second baby was half a pound heavier and it was a much easier birth (with a small graze that didn't need stitching). As Chris says, with a second baby the skin and muscles already know what they're doing and things generally tend to go smoother.

• "Peppermint Patty" started this thread

Reg: Jul 17th 2006

Wednesday, December 23rd 2009, 4:05pm

thanks everyone. spoke to the cons yesterday and he was pretty much of the same opinion that second babies are generally bigger and easier to get out. i dont want a c section really (heal pretty badly, have managed to get a skin infection from the swine flu jab!). also since you cant really plan for anything as labour can be so unpredictable - we have decided to inject a local anesthetic down below during the second stage of labour in case i need another episiotomy....
Peppermint Patty

Me 29 - DH 34
PCOS & Male Factor
TTC 2yrs
3 x Clomid - 3 x BFN
Ovarian Drilling Nov 06
ICSI March 07 - BFP 4/4/7- OHSS - All Gone 12/4/7
ICSI Aug 07 - DR July 13th - Shock NATURAL BFP 25th July 07! - baby boy march 08
May 09 - VERY SHOCKING NATURAL BFP!!!! - Baby Girl Jan 10

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE