You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Ros

Megastar

• "Ros" started this thread

Reg: Mar 14th 2008

Children: twin girls thanks to PGD!

Tuesday, November 17th 2009, 11:19am

Strep B test dates for twins

Hello, has anyone had this or planning to have this? I thought that for the sake of £30 it's worth having.

I read that for singleton babies it's usually done 35-38 weeks, i.e. the nearer to the birth the better, but since twins often arrive earlier I was wondering if it should be done at, say, 30-32 weeks? Or am I going mad?

Anyone got any ideas?

Thank you :)

After 5 years of endo surgery, clomid, 2 x MM/C, 2 x ICSI cycles and 1 PGD cycle,
beautiful twin girls born 8th Feb 2010, we are so grateful

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Tuesday, November 17th 2009, 11:32am

I'm not sure but I'd agree that you would need to be tested earlier. Bear in mind that the results can change so you might want to re-test after a couple of weeks if you send off your sample too early. You could ring these....

http://www.tdlpathology.com/index.php?op…&id=5&Itemid=10

and ask?

Also another thread. I'll leave this one here as it's an important issue for twin Mums.

Group B Strep

Ros

Megastar

Tuesday, November 17th 2009, 1:53pm

Thanks Bells, is Group B Strep more of a concern for twins then?

After 5 years of endo surgery, clomid, 2 x MM/C, 2 x ICSI cycles and 1 PGD cycle,

Mavis

United Kingdom

Reg: Sep 15th 2008

What's Up?
I need sleep!

Tuesday, November 17th 2009, 2:45pm

Darn, that would have been a good question to ask the consultant yesterday! No-one has mentioned GBS testing to me.

Are you definitely having a c-section Rossypants? I don't know if that means you don't need to worry about strep B (I think it is passed on to the babies when passing through the birth canal).

M
x

My Diary
10 years, 5 cycles, and 3 beautiful children.
My family is complete :heart: :heart: :heart:

Mavis

United Kingdom

What's Up?
I need sleep!

Tuesday, November 17th 2009, 2:52pm

My Diary

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Tuesday, November 17th 2009, 3:09pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Ros
Thanks Bells, is Group B Strep more of a concern for twins then?

Oh no, I just mean that the timing of the test is the key factor in your question. The information and chatter concerning Strep is all in the other thread and usually duplicate questions would be merged but in the case of twins it's the timing of the test that's being queried.

Reg: Feb 12th 2009

Children: None

Tuesday, November 17th 2009, 3:22pm

Hi ladies,

My consultant poo pooed it when I mentioned testing, like a lot of MW seem to. When I pushed him further he said that the most efficient test was the one mentioned in the GBS links on this sight from The Doctors Lab, he said a lot of others could give false results and that a false negative could obviously be very damaging. He said it was all in the swabbing - to be graphic it seemed essential to follow the instructions in the pack on swabbing from front to back or visa versa - not sure which.

He said that results could not be conclusive until you had reached 35 weeks, so with twins he said if you get that far then go for it and if you were before 34 weeks you would likely be on antibiotics and treated as GBS anyway. This obviously may just be my guy at Oxford's method, I couldn't guarantee that it's normal policy.

I have sent off for the Doctors Lab pack to test at home and should get results within two days of sending it. Got to be worth it for £30 hasn't it. The pack is free, so if I were you mavis and others who are less than 35 weeks at the moment, I would send off for it and then you know you can do it as soon as you reach 35 weeks........
Hope this helps
xx

xxxxxx :innocent: :snowangel:

Ros

Megastar

Tuesday, November 17th 2009, 4:21pm

sorry I didn't put the post up yesterday Willopants. I don't think it is something offered by the NHS or even mentioned by consultants/ mw's. I remember my sister's mw being really uppity when she did the test, I just don't understand why as it doesn't take up their time or funds.

I will call the company and ask what dates they recommend for twins.

My cons said I'd get a c section unless the babies started coming very early and a natural delivery was progressing well.... so I'm not certain of anything anymore!

Reg: Apr 5th 2009

Children: Blessed with a beautiful little boy

Tuesday, November 17th 2009, 8:24pm

No I think NHS only do the test if you've either had it in a previous pregnancy or you've had a scare of some sort - they tested me when I had a bleed and unfortunatley I do carry the bacteria but i'd never heard of it before (to say its so common!!), it was quite a shock when I got the letter through the post!
Cheryl
1st ICSI blessed with Aiden Reece Parkin born 01.01.10

Mavis

United Kingdom

What's Up?
I need sleep!

Thursday, November 19th 2009, 10:31pm

Hi Cheryl, I was told the same.
My hospital only does a swab for strep B in high risk patients, or if they happen to be doing a speculum examination (e.g. if you had a bleed, or you think you lost amniotic fluid).

I think I'll send off for the kit if its free, thanks Lennie.
I'm not sure if I'll do the test though... I haven't read up enough, but I get the impression that if there was a reliable screening test for strep B, everyone would be screened for it. But if the tests are unreliable, it makes more sense to just screen those at high risk.

M
x

My Diary

Mavis

United Kingdom

What's Up?
I need sleep!

Thursday, November 19th 2009, 10:38pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Ros
I remember my sister's mw being really uppity when she did the test, I just don't understand why as it doesn't take up their time or funds.

Groan... that's so annoying. The MW could have explained why she didn't think the test was a good idea, and/or why your sister wasn't offered it on the NHS. I would have thought that such conversations would make her job more interesting!

But nope, she got annoyed that your sister was doing all she could to protect her baby. :rolleyes:

My Diary

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE