You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Indiechick

Superstar

Reg: Oct 25th 2007

Monday, March 1st 2010, 12:34pm

Csam, I was up and walking by 6am the next morning, granted it was a little gingerly but I was walking about. I had no probs picking up the little ones or holding them to feed etc. I guess the big diference is that you have another LO to look after too!

3rd IUI - 08/08/08 - tested 22/08/08 BFP :D
Scan 09/09/08 - 2 [zx076] [zx076] TWINS!
2 beautiful boys born 16/04/09

csam

Star

United Kingdom

Monday, March 1st 2010, 12:43pm

Thanks for that Indie,useful to know. So what did you do in the hours after having the chimps, re feeding,changing etc. Did they have formula until you could BF?

Yes, will have one big monkey to look after too. obv DH won't be able to spend as much time with me as before. I know it'll all be ok, but I have to start my worrying early :rolleyes:

xxxxxx

Indiechick

Superstar

Monday, March 1st 2010, 1:01pm

CSam - I rang the bell!!! seriously though, DH set up everything just within my reach and I just belled the staff and they passed them too me. I breastfed them seperatley and the nurses gave them a syringe full of formula now and again to keep blood sugars up etc.
x

csam

Star

United Kingdom

Monday, March 1st 2010, 1:06pm

Thanks Indie, the M/W's was always so busy when I had my LO, I used to feel bad ringing the bell, but well with 2 babies and possibily recovering from a section, I'll have no choice!

Right, no more worrying (about this anyway), until at least 10 more weeks!

xxx

roxy7

Star

Reg: Dec 1st 2008

Children: DS born 11/06

Monday, March 1st 2010, 1:16pm

I spoke to my friend who had twins (they're now 13) and I'd always thought she'd only had gas and air for her nvd but it turns out she did have an epidural for the reasons mentioned: potentially needing to turn twin 3 or a emcs (Twin 1 head down, twin 2 transverse who in the end turned by herself).

I'm still in the caesar camp but I am totally with indie on the preference for labour starting naturally (one of my big reasons for refusing an elective c/s with my son, despite him being breech and being unlikely to be delivered vaginally. For those fearing an epidural and caesar, my experience is that, yes, it was an anxious time for me, I would have preferred not to have one, but in the end, it really wasn't bad, in fact, I think I healed more quickly than some of my friends who'd had a nvd. And my milk production wasn't delayed either but probably because I did go into labour and had a good days worth of contractions before the surgery.

I'm only 30 weeks - well done on your 37 weeks Duffy. Hope I can match that.

R x

Me 41, DP 42
Diagnosis PCOS and old age!
DS 11/06 (clomid)
Mm/c of natural pg 03/08
1st IVF 02/09 (ectopic)
FET 08/09 :BFP:
cs booked for 20/04/10

Reg: Dec 16th 2008

Children: No

Monday, March 1st 2010, 2:49pm

This is such an interesting thread, I am sure that I will have to have a c-section as I am 30 week and both twins were transvrse at my last scan (28wks). I have another scan in two weeks so I guess delivery will be discussed with the cons then.

I really would like to deliver them with NVD but in my mind it looks like that won't be happening

TTC 10 Years Finally got to ICSI No1 Jan 09 :BFN:
ICSI No 2 Aug 09 :BFP:
Two lovely little girls born by planned c-section 27/04/10 at 38 weeks
Isabelle 6lb 2oz bab10 & Amber 6lb 8oz bab10

Germany

Reg: Nov 12th 2007

Children: Twin boys born April '10 thanks to ICSI

Monday, March 1st 2010, 3:32pm

Yes, it's really interesting!
I'd like a NVD too. I guess so far it's possible, twin 1 is head down. But actually I'm petrified of everything! I'm fortunate enough never to have needed an operation in my life, so the idea of being cut open for C-section is scary. Also scary is the thought of epidural, and not being able to feel what's going on (although not being able to feel pain would be an obvious bonus) and have restricted movement.

4x IUI
Mar 08 IVF BFN
Jun 08 ICSI BFN
Sep 08 ICSI BFN
Oct 08 FET BFN
Apr 09 ICSI brief BFP
Aug 09 ICSI :BFP:

Me 40, DH 38

Our dream came true,

Lukas and Finn were born 13/04/10 at 36w6d biggrin2
My diary

Duffymoon

Megastar

Reg: Jun 11th 2007

Children: Boy/girl twins born 2010

Monday, March 1st 2010, 3:40pm

I really would like to deliver them with NVD but in my mind it looks like that won't be happening

As far as I am aware, NVD is firstly only a possibility if presenting twin is head down - even if twin 2 is transverse, I still think it can still be done.

What I'm going to do is whenever I go into labour or am induced I shall say if an epidural is recommended then i'll go with that but if they think there's a good chance they can hold on to twin 2, then that's what I would prefer to go for. I've got a funny feeling they won't be able to hand on heart say the latter is possible so it will probably be an epidural. At least I won't have all the pain I guess!! (see - it's already appealling :D )

Claire - just seen your response. I totally agree with everything you said. I think it's all a balancing act really. Whilst we can request this that and the other, we can't escape the fact that we're having twins and giving birth to two babies is never going to be as simple as or straightforward as a singleton potentially is. I have been told I can use the birthing pool for the early part of labour which will be nice :smile: That's before the epidural obviously :snigger:

xx

4 x ICSI BFN
5th time :BFP:
:boy: :girl:

United Kingdom

Reg: Apr 2nd 2008

Children: One beautiful little boy born 31/07/09, One beautiful little girl born 25/02/11

Monday, March 1st 2010, 7:59pm

Hi, hope you don't mind me butting in, as a singleton mum, but I have had a 'strawberry cheesecake' because I was induced with a syntocin drip. The drip starts off the contractions and mine came thick and fast. They can increase the drip too which makes them stronger too.
How are they going to induce you Duffy? I was adamant that I didn't want an epidural, sorry cheesecake, but certainly needed one after the drip got going. It was fine and I was glad I had it!

ICSI #1 BFP MAY'08 ;( MC @ 8 WKS

Mavis

• "Mavis" started this thread
  • United Kingdom

Reg: Sep 15th 2008

What's Up?
I need sleep!

Monday, March 1st 2010, 8:19pm

Csam, I was up and walking by 6am the next morning, granted it was a little gingerly but I was walking about. I had no probs picking up the little ones or holding them to feed etc.

Me too! I now think c-sections rock! (which is very irresponsible because c-sections are major surgery! :snigger: )
But if you do need a c-section, major complications are unlikely - especially if it is your first section.

M
x

My Diary
10 years, 5 cycles, and 3 beautiful children.
My family is complete :heart: :heart: :heart:

Indiechick

Superstar

Monday, March 1st 2010, 8:21pm

I now think c-sections rock!

rotf

csam

Star

United Kingdom

Monday, March 1st 2010, 8:35pm

Hey Mavis

if C-sections rock then C- section it is then thumbup no seriously, it's good to hear positive stories. Ideally my placenta's will have moved and I'll get a choice but it is useful

to know that if I need a section it'll probably be ok!

xxxxxx

Indiechick

Superstar

Monday, March 1st 2010, 8:36pm

Csam - Youll definatley not probably be ok! x

Duffymoon

Megastar

Reg: Jun 11th 2007

Children: Boy/girl twins born 2010

Monday, March 1st 2010, 9:35pm

How are they going to induce you Duffy?

I think when I go in, they'll examine me to see what my cervix is doing and if it's effaced or whatever the word is then they'll break my waters and see if that's enough. Otherwise it'll be the drip I guess.

Have to say....lots of niggles tonight so a week Thursday is looking a long way away!

Good to hear epidurals and c sections getting thumbs up!

xx

4 x ICSI BFN
5th time :BFP:
:boy: :girl:

roxy7

Star

Tuesday, March 2nd 2010, 10:16am

Csam, I was up and walking by 6am the next morning, granted it was a little gingerly but I was walking about. I had no probs picking up the little ones or holding them to feed etc.

Me too! I now think c-sections rock! (which is very irresponsible because c-sections are major surgery! :snigger: )
But if you do need a c-section, major complications are unlikely - especially if it is your first section.

M
x

I wasn't going to say that earlier on for the reasons mavis mentions :snigger: and because I really am a natural mama at heart but, if I'm completely honest, I had absolutely no problems with my c-section. I couldn't believe how quickly my body recovered, seemingly much faster than some of my other friends who gave birth via NVD. Statistically, they are riskier for mum too, but childbirth is a risky occupation and I think, with twins, the balance falls squarely for me in the c/s camp. Even my friend mentioned above who had a really straightforward NVD with her second pregnancy/ID twins now says presented with the choice again she's opt for a caesar just to be on the safe side for the babies. I'm not trying to put anyone off, wouldn't dream of it but that's my personal experience. It'll be interesting to see how I recover from a caesar seond time around.

Me 41, DP 42
DS 11/06 (clomid)
Mm/c of natural pg 03/08
1st IVF 02/09 (ectopic)
cs booked for 20/04/10

United Kingdom

Reg: Dec 22nd 2008

Children: Beautiful twin daughters and two grown up stepdaughters

Tuesday, March 2nd 2010, 12:14pm

I've been keeping a close eye on this very interesting thread and have started making some decisions of my own which my consultant was very supportive of when I saw him yesterday.

I should start by saying (albeit hesitantly) that I am not a 'natural mama' like many of you and I don't feel that I will be gaining or losing anything based upon how I give birth. Of course I want what is best for my babies but what has been clouding my judgment up to now is a major phobia about drips, catheters, stitches etc. that has had me insisting that I would go for a drug free NVD unless my consultant said it was absolutely not an option. Having reached 24 weeks the fact that this is actually going to happen in little over 12 weeks and is not just theoretical has finally dawned on me and I have opted for what I think is probably safest and most realistic for me.

If the babies are in the right position and I start to labour spontaneously rather than needing an induction I will go for a NVD with a 'strawberry cheesecake' in case T2 needs turning and/or I end up needing an emergency c-section. If the babies are not in the right position or I need to be induced, I will go for an elective c-section. I am opting for an elective rather than an induction because of the increased likelihood of needing an intervention with induction so it seems pointless to me to start.

As for the phobia, I have persuaded my consultant to do a trial run of putting in a canula and letting me have it in for a couple of days so I can get use to it! Otherwise I know that on the day I will completely freak out and there is no prospect of either a NVD or an elective being anything other than hugely traumatic for everyone involved. I am literally hyperventilating as I type this just at the thought...!
Newly Wed

ICSI December 2008 - chemical pregnancy
ICSI May 2009 - BFN
FET September 2009 - BFP
Beautiful twin girls born 30 April 2010

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Newly Wed" (Mar 2nd 2010, 12:15pm)

Indiechick

Superstar

Tuesday, March 2nd 2010, 3:08pm

Awww Newlywed [zx127] the thought of it is 1000 times worse than what it is!

I think you've got a fab plan in place there and you seem to have covered all the bases!

x

roxy7

Star

Tuesday, March 2nd 2010, 4:11pm

Good on y'newlywed. All sounds very sensible and balanced. It's such a tricky decision what with all the many options. It's almost as complicated as choosing a twin pram :snigger: (if you've seen that thread, you'll know what I mean)

R x

Me 41, DP 42
DS 11/06 (clomid)
Mm/c of natural pg 03/08
1st IVF 02/09 (ectopic)
cs booked for 20/04/10

Indiechick

Superstar

Tuesday, March 2nd 2010, 4:17pm

except you can't get a half price C section on ebay :snigger:

United Kingdom

Tuesday, March 2nd 2010, 5:31pm

except you can't get a half price C section on ebay

pmsl

Thanks Indie and Roxy!
Newly Wed

ICSI May 2009 - BFN
FET September 2009 - BFP

roxy7

Star

Tuesday, March 2nd 2010, 6:25pm

except you can't get a half price C section on ebay :snigger:

If you could reckon I'd have bought one and know how m uch I'd be selling it for on resale :P

Me 41, DP 42
DS 11/06 (clomid)
Mm/c of natural pg 03/08
1st IVF 02/09 (ectopic)
cs booked for 20/04/10

Germany

Wednesday, March 10th 2010, 10:09am

Hello, I've pretty much decided that if possible I want to go for a NVD. I'm petrified but ready to give it a go! As everyone else has been saying that they have been advised that they would need an epidural in case it's necessary to turn twin 2, I assumed that that was standard practice. So at the weekend when we had a tour of the delivery suite of our local hospital, I asked about turning twin 2 (at the moment twin 1 is head down and twin 2 is breach), and was told that twin 2 would just be delivered breach. Anyway, time will tell, I'm ready to change my mind at a moment's notice if necessary!

4x IUI
Mar 08 IVF BFN
Jun 08 ICSI BFN
Sep 08 ICSI BFN
Oct 08 FET BFN
Apr 09 ICSI brief BFP

Me 40, DH 38

Our dream came true,

My diary

roxy7

Star

Wednesday, March 10th 2010, 10:30am

Good on you Claire! My firstborn was breech (a singleton) and I really wanted a NVD much to the chagrin of my Consultant who had a lot of experience of surgery but very little delivering breech babies. In the end my labour didn't progress and I had a caesar but I was glad I gave it a go and the best thing was my LO deciding when he was ready to be born, rather than him being plucked from the womb partially cooked!

With twins, I suppose it makes sense that, if the first twin is head down and has made his way out through the opening of your womb, the second twin is likely to be able to do the same and therefore turning mayn't be necessary (although some twins just turn themselves once twin 1 has left the womb and made some space).

Petrified is normal I reckon! I know I'll be petrified whatever form of delivery I chose - I'm not one of these ladies who would ever breeze through giving birth. Once you hold your babies in your arms, it's as if those feelings never happened. The first thought that popped into my head was "He's gorgeous - I could do that again!"

This youtube montage is pretty inspiring if you're hoping for a NVD. Has me blubbing from the moments it starts :snigger: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7E-wULAaD50

R x

Me 41, DP 42
DS 11/06 (clomid)
Mm/c of natural pg 03/08
1st IVF 02/09 (ectopic)
cs booked for 20/04/10

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "roxy7" (Mar 10th 2010, 10:31am)

Germany

Wednesday, March 10th 2010, 10:35am

The midwife said that as both twins are about the same size, twin 2 shouldn't have any problems coming out even if breach. Here you can choose your midwife, and in the list of midwives it lists their specialities/skills, and quite a lot of them list breach birth as a speciality.

BTW Roxy, there's no link, but I think I've seen it already, I remember mostly being shocked at the size of their bumps!
Ok, now there is a link, you must have noticed!

4x IUI
Mar 08 IVF BFN
Jun 08 ICSI BFN
Sep 08 ICSI BFN
Oct 08 FET BFN
Apr 09 ICSI brief BFP

Me 40, DH 38

Our dream came true,

My diary

roxy7

Star

Wednesday, March 10th 2010, 10:41am

I have to say the size and shape of some the bumps - and some of the weights of the babies were shocking!!! Amazing though.

R x

Me 41, DP 42
DS 11/06 (clomid)
Mm/c of natural pg 03/08
1st IVF 02/09 (ectopic)
cs booked for 20/04/10

United Kingdom

Monday, March 22nd 2010, 9:22pm

A quick update from me following my 28 week scan. Both twins are on the 50th percentile and both are now head down (T2 has been breach up to now). So a NVD is a real possibility. Question is....am I brave enough? But then I find the thought of a c-section scary too!!!
Newly Wed

ICSI May 2009 - BFN
FET September 2009 - BFP

csam

Star

United Kingdom

Tuesday, March 23rd 2010, 7:30am

Newly Wed, I know how you feel! Up until now I have been looking at a C-section as I had Low lying Placenta's, but as I don't any more I can consider a NVD. Like you, I don't know which option I'm more scared of! I had a NVD with my DD, but obv a twin birth is a whole different experience! I guess my Cons will discuss birth options at my 32 week app??

xxxxx

Tuesday, March 23rd 2010, 11:23am

Hello All

Hope you don't mind me joining you. Just wondering when you have this question with the cons? Is it at 32weeks?

Germany

Tuesday, March 23rd 2010, 11:59am

Hello! Not sure when the question normally comes up, my Dr. has just asked me every now and again what I'd like to do. My leading twin has been head down for a long time now, so have been planning to try for a NVD. Lucky for me, twin 2 also turned to head down some time around 30/31 weeks too. Have to say that I'm absolutely petrified of NVD and C-section, would be nice if someone could invent some star trek 'beam me up Scottie' type thing :snigger: .

4x IUI
Mar 08 IVF BFN
Jun 08 ICSI BFN
Sep 08 ICSI BFN
Oct 08 FET BFN
Apr 09 ICSI brief BFP

Me 40, DH 38

Our dream came true,

My diary

United Kingdom

Tuesday, March 23rd 2010, 12:03pm

I see my consultant every two weeks and we always touch on it briefly. But he says that until 36 weeks it is too early to make any firm decisions because it depends how the babies are lying at that stage.

I am very proud of my T2 though for knowing that they needed to turn over.

Now I'm thinking, if I need a strawberry cheesecake (aka epidural for anyone new to this thread) anyway because of the complexity of a twin NVD, maybe I should just skip the hard part and go for the c-section. Owwww....having choices is as bad as having no choice at all. I just want them both out safely and I don't want it to hurt. Is that really too much to ask???
Newly Wed

ICSI May 2009 - BFN
FET September 2009 - BFP

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Newly Wed" (Mar 23rd 2010, 12:05pm)

United Kingdom

Tuesday, March 23rd 2010, 12:06pm

Ha Claire! We crossed posted with exactly the same though...maybe we don't really have to be there???
Newly Wed

ICSI May 2009 - BFN
FET September 2009 - BFP

csam

Star

United Kingdom

Tuesday, March 23rd 2010, 12:31pm

LoL Claire, i was wondering if there was a 3rd option :snigger: I'm hoping the cons won't wait until I am 36 weeks before discussing options as my DD came at 37 weeks, so I'm thinking the twins will come earlier than 36 weeks (but obv hoping they don't!).

Newly Wed, yeah I think it's gonna hurt either way! Both my twins are head down ATM. I think I'll be guided by the cons/hospital. It may be that they have specialist knowledge/experience in delivering twins via NVD or on the other hand perhaps they don't and I'll be swayed towards a C-section.

It's good to chat to others in the same position!

xxxx

Tuesday, March 23rd 2010, 1:32pm

I saw my cons at 32 weeks last week, and they are going to make a desicion at my next appointment at 36 weeks. Both twins are transverse still so unless they move I will be having a c-section.

At this point I really don't care how they come out as long as my two girls arrive safely. xfingers

Indiechick

Superstar

Tuesday, March 23rd 2010, 4:01pm

Yay, what a lot of clever twinnies you have all being head down, except for Cemlyn's naughty girlies who seem to be trying to be as dificult as possible :snigger:

The final decision for my C section was made at 36 weeks as my cons kept assurming me they had time to turn up until that date . . . . . I begged to differ!!!

x

Reg: Mar 9th 2008

Children: Otis and Ava, July 2010 following successful FERC

Tuesday, March 23rd 2010, 5:43pm

Girls

Hope you don't mind I've been reading and running recently. I've just read through my maternity notes )as I have my cervix scan today) and apparently they have to discuss your birth plan prior to 32 weeks so I'mn assuming it will be discussed then. For me Twin 1 is still head down so good news but twin 2 has moved from being transverse to being feet first so I just hope that it decides to do a bit of moving and decides to head to a head down position. WOuld really like a NVD as opposed to a c-section just for the length of time it takes to recover.

Pushoz
Pushoz
1st ICSI July 09- BFN

FET Oct/Nov - BFP

It's Twins!!!!!

csam

Star

United Kingdom

Tuesday, March 23rd 2010, 6:07pm

Hi Pushoz

I'm getting a bit alarmed that it seems birth plans are not discussed until 36 weeks! Obv the babies can come whenever, but the last thing I want to happen is to have an emergency section because they're on their way and my birth plans haven't been discussed. I'm def going to mention it at my 32 weeks appointment.Also if I choose a section,I wonder if they just pick a date from 37 weeks onwards,or do they take other factors in to account? eg previous PG's and I have a DD so will need to make arrangements for her.Although like I said before,they could come at anytime,so I do have childcare on standby!

It's making think a NVD when the twins want to come is going to be easier! Hopefully your twin 2 will move,my twin 2 moved sometime after 24 weeks.

xxxxxx

Indiechick

Superstar

Tuesday, March 23rd 2010, 6:41pm

Sorry should have said that birthing options were mentioned from 32 weeks onwards but the final decision on the C section was at 36 weeks. They said they would have me in for the C section at 38 weeks, but as it was the theatre was full that day and so I got in a day earlier.

Pushoz - My recovery was fine and so I wouldn't worry too much about that :smile:

roxy7

Star

Tuesday, March 23rd 2010, 10:15pm

I'm quite pleased that twin 2 has been transverse or breech at scans so far. It's stopped me having the dilemma of whether to consider NVD as I'm being cautious this pregnancy and (after a singleton caesarean due to my first baby being breech, just want these babies out as quickly as possible).

I would echo indie's remarks about recovery. I think I recovered from my first c/s quicker than most of my friends who had NVDs. Remains to be seen what the second c/s recovery time is. I'm assuming longer because I've already been opened up, the presence of scar tissue etc.

I guess what I would say though is that caesarean isn't risk free and what often isn't considered is the knock on effects on subsequent fertility/pregnancies that c/s can result in. Worth doing a bit of research on perhaps before you make a final decision?

As I've said, I prefer it that the decision's sort of been taken out of my hands :snigger: and I'm not planning on having any more children after this!

Me 41, DP 42
DS 11/06 (clomid)
Mm/c of natural pg 03/08
1st IVF 02/09 (ectopic)
cs booked for 20/04/10

csam

Star

United Kingdom

Thursday, April 15th 2010, 4:40pm

Hi

This thread has gone a bit quiet of late,what are the thoughts of current twin mum's to be?

I had kind of (but not really!!),got my head round the thought of a C-section.Thinking that this would be far safer for twin 2,and that's really the priority at the end of the day.I was/am scared at the thought of a C-section,I know that having previously had a NVD I could probably trust my body to 'deliver the goods',so to speak! But with having twins this time,lots more things to think about.

I saw the cons today who is keen for me to try for a NVD (he more or less said I wouldn't make the date that they would set for a section anyway,so would start of naturally anyway),he also said I would have a lot of control over what happened,that the room wouldn't be swamped with people (a senior DR would be 'around' somewhere however), and that it's not a given that I have to have an epidural in case I need a section for twin 2. He said it was really important that Twin 2 was really closely monitored and that after Twin 1 was born that I stay really calm and not panic and don't let others panic,now after hours of painful labour I can't guarantee this!

I'm just so confused now! The cons I saw today is very self assured.Seems to know his stuff and I'd probably trust myself and my babies to him,but at the end of the day he's not going to be there when I labour. i'm so confused and quite frankly scared!

What are other's thoughts/what have other's been advised?

xxxxx

roxy7

Star

Thursday, April 15th 2010, 7:37pm

Well. I've probably mentioned this before but I'm definately going the c section route. I'm being ultra cautious but with twin 2 being breech, I just don't want to risk any oxygen deprivation and I've had a c section before so I know what to expect. I also have a lot of help at home in the first 3 weeks so I'll have plenty recovery time. I can see why you might opt for a nvd if you have different circumstances and a toddler (mine's nearly 3 and a half now so much more independent and I've not had to pick him up for months).

It looks like the choice may be taken out of my hands anyway as I'm booked in for elective surgery at 37+4 wks on Tuesday 20th April (as I've got a c/s scar already, I can't be induced) so if I don't go into spontaneous labour before Tuesday, a c section it is. Quite nice for the deciaion to be made for me. I don't think I could go any longer. I've really had enough now.

R x

Me 41, DP 42
DS 11/06 (clomid)
Mm/c of natural pg 03/08
1st IVF 02/09 (ectopic)
cs booked for 20/04/10

Thursday, April 15th 2010, 9:19pm

I had my 36wk scan today and twin 1 is breech and twin 2 is Transverse so I have now been booked in for a c-section on the 27 April I will be 38+1 .

Mavis

• United Kingdom

What's Up?
I need sleep!

Friday, April 16th 2010, 2:27am

Hi Csam
Oooohh! Not long to go! :D :D

I really deliberated about NVD and c-section. When I eventually decided on c-section, the consultant who had previously encouraged me to keep an open mind seemed very pleased that I wanted a section. She then told me two things that scared the pants of me. The first was that you can have a NVD of the first baby, but delivering the second baby is a completely different ball game. It is automatically a complicated delivery - the baby is not in the right position, and some sort of intervention is nearly always required, and this means more trauma to the mama. The second thing she told me, and I have no idea why she left it so late in telling me, was that the risk of death to the second twin is something like 1 in 273.... I still think that is a crazily high risk.
After that, I was very happy with my choice of c-section.
I also looked back at all the FZers pregnant with twins and the vast majority ended up with a section. If I was really keen to have a NVD this would not have dissuaded me, but because I was on the fence about it, it did.

My c-section went very smoothly and the recovery was fast. It is major surgery, and there are risks. But I guess my thinking was it was quite likely I'd end up having a c-section anyway, so I may aswell plan it.

I'm sorry to give such a biassed one way account. I kind of wish I didn't feel this way, I don't want to encourage anyone to have sections even though I wouldn't change what I did. But this is how I honestly feel, 11 weeks later.

You must do whatever feels right for you.
M
x

My Diary

marylu

Friday, April 16th 2010, 10:39am

This thread is fascinating. Hope you don't mind me chipping in. My boys are now 13 weeks and I still have mixed feelings about NVD vs CS. Both babies were head down, so I went in to be induced at 8am at 38 weeks. I started contracting very quickly and frequently....but 2 midwifes and a doctor later proved it impossible to break my waters (J's head was too far down and had pushed my cervix backwards so it could not be reached. Despite various 'long-fingered doctors' being called for, to apparently try and lift J's head to reach it. omg that hurt. sorry tmi!! :snigger: ). By 11pm, I was sent to an empty ward, given a tamazapan and told that they hoped the babies didn't arrive during the night as they did not have enough staff to deliver twins. wonderful.

Next day, the docs tried yet again to break my waters, but failed and so I was faced with either another pessary and wait and hope. I chatted to midwifes who encouraged me to have a c section (I was getting frantic by this point as the day was ticking by and if the babes arrived during the following night, would there be enough staff??). The doc was initially v reluctant to do a c section and said i should try a few pessaries...until she too couldn't reach my cervix (had gas and air this time. fabulous stuff). The doc actaully admitted the reason she was initially reluctant was cus she had a busu day in surgery and 'didn't have time'.

I had no time to mentally prepare for the c section as somehow they suddenly squeezed me in. But I honestly found the actual c section fine. The thought of it is far worse than the reality. The theatre staff were amazing. Only problem I had was losing twice as much blood as I should have (no idea why) and fainting a few hours later...but that's another story (and moan about the subsequent 'care' I received) so I shall not go into it here....this was supposed to be a positive story for ladies considering the c-section route!!! As it turned out, both my babies had velamentous insertion (which means a risk of serious bleeding of the babies if the waters are broken..), and so I thank whoever is up there (and my little J!) for sticking his head in my pelvis and making it impossible to break my waters!

Recovery was slow....but for me personally C section was the best thing for my babies. I reckon we each have to follow our gut feelings, fair enough listen to the advice of the experts, but don't beat yourselves up worrying about it.

so sorry I have waffled far too much....

good luck to all the ladies with babies on the way, you have the most amazing journey ahead of you all xx

May 4th & 5th 2009: 3rd Double IUI - :BFP: woohoo
05/06/09: 6 week scan showed TWINS, 2 little [zx076][zx076]

13/01/10: Two perfect little boys born weighing 4lb 9oz and 5lb 7oz

csam

Star

United Kingdom

Friday, April 16th 2010, 10:58am

HI Cemlyn

Good luck for your C-section,must be easier in a way not to have to make a decision! I hope everything goes well for you.

Hey Mave,scary close now!,although the last few weeks have gone a little slower.We are really not ready! It is that scary statistic that is playing on my mind a lot. I haven't told DH about that.I think he would prefer me to have a section,but then that was before we even spoke to a cons about the birth.What Dh did say is that maybe we are trying to plan too much.We (and the cons)are pretty certain I'll start off naturally ,as I won't get to a section date.My labour for DD was 3.5hrs (I was induced as well!),so I 'guess' 2nd labour could be quick and well there are somethings you can't plan for. I feel like I'm burying my head in the sand a bit,but on the other hand,the birth is occupying most of my waking thoughts!

My cons is very pro natural labour and I wasn't really offered the choice of a section,although assuming I make it till my 36 week app,I guess If I really wanted a section they would consider it. My head is spinning with it all,I've concentrated so much on the PG and praying the twinnies don't come early,that it's really hitting home about the birth now!

I guess it feels like such a responsibility on ME,to make the decision and that feels scary.

MaryLu,gosh what a time off it you had.Thanks for your input and congrats on your 2 boys.Thank goodness it all worked out ok.I look at the stats for NVD and they seem so low as opposed for section.You have to have so much trust in the people looking after you at your most vulnerable time don't you.

Roxy,good luck hun for Monday assuming you don't go before then! You've done a fab job cooking and I'm sure they'll be good weights.

Thanks for everyone's comments,is there any twin mum's who had a NVD who can share their stories?

xxxxx

Mavis

• United Kingdom

What's Up?
I need sleep!

Friday, April 16th 2010, 11:15am

Hi Csam,
I can see why your consultant is enthusiastic now, your pelvis has already been "tested" and it passed with flying colours!

Claddagh had a NVD with twins, did you see her post? It's at the beginning of this thread.
And I've certainly heard of NVD with twins, my midwive told me of several (she did not assume I would have a section simply because it was twins). I also knew of the couple living in the USA who had a NVD. Now, this really surprised me because the healthcare here is usually more invasive, and there is an extremely high rate of obstetricians being sued. So from a doctor's perspective, a section is safer for them. But the couple were fit, healthy, and wanted a NVD and it all went very smoothly.

I think you should tell your DH the risk for baby 2, he deserves to know. And maybe ask your consultant if he agrees with that figure, I am sure he will give you an interesting answer that will help form your decision.

But no wonder you are struggling to make a decision, I would say you are a very good candidate for a NVD....!

M
x

My Diary

csam

Star

United Kingdom

Friday, April 16th 2010, 11:28am

Hey Mave

My friend reckons they'll fly out and I won't feel a thing!!! If only eh.Been a while since I visited the start of this thread so will do that in a minute.I wish I had mentioned that stat to the cons,although I get the impression he know better.He's written twin protocol's don't ya know!!

I think if I was looking at me from someone else's perspective I'd think I were a good candiate too! It's funny because the M/W last week said that I should def be having a NVD,then the sonographer and cons yesterday seem to take it as a given that I would be having a NVD! I only wish I saw the cons again in 2 weeks rather than 4.But also I've never seen the same cons twice and I saw the senior cons yesterday,the next one I see could tell me something completely different.

xxxxx

Reg: Mar 9th 2008

Children: Otis and Ava, July 2010 following successful FERC

Friday, April 16th 2010, 6:35pm

csam I've got an appointment booked with the consultant after my 32 week scan and feel that it will be great to discuss things with him. The registrar says we can go for a NVD but twin 2 is traverse and everything I've read says if it's traverse then it's c-section no question. I know it sounds silly but I don't want to huff sand puff and tire myself out delivering twin 1 to then be told "oh sorry it's got to be a C-section for twin 2". It's just the thought of being physically exhausted from delivering one naturally to then having extra problems trying to recover from major surgery. I remember how bad it was when I had my appendictis out was only 19 but I had to have 7 weeks off work.

Pushoz

csam

Star

United Kingdom

Friday, April 16th 2010, 6:43pm

Hi Pushoz

I know exactly what you mean! with a NVD the pain is all before you get to see your baby,where as I guess with a section the pain is after you see the baby. It's a scary thought the prospect of having pain before and after due to the scenario you described!

It's so hard isn't it!

xxxxx

roxy7

Star

Friday, April 16th 2010, 6:59pm

Hi Csam
Oooohh! Not long to go! :D :D

I really deliberated about NVD and c-section. When I eventually decided on c-section, the consultant who had previously encouraged me to keep an open mind seemed very pleased that I wanted a section. She then told me two things that scared the pants of me. The first was that you can have a NVD of the first baby, but delivering the second baby is a completely different ball game. It is automatically a complicated delivery - the baby is not in the right position, and some sort of intervention is nearly always required, and this means more trauma to the mama. The second thing she told me, and I have no idea why she left it so late in telling me, was that the risk of death to the second twin is something like 1 in 273.... I still think that is a crazily high risk.
After that, I was very happy with my choice of c-section.
I also looked back at all the FZers pregnant with twins and the vast majority ended up with a section. If I was really keen to have a NVD this would not have dissuaded me, but because I was on the fence about it, it did.

My c-section went very smoothly and the recovery was fast. It is major surgery, and there are risks. But I guess my thinking was it was quite likely I'd end up having a c-section anyway, so I may aswell plan it.

I'm sorry to give such a biassed one way account. I kind of wish I didn't feel this way, I don't want to encourage anyone to have sections even though I wouldn't change what I did. But this is how I honestly feel, 11 weeks later.

You must do whatever feels right for you.
M
x

These are my reasons exactly. I have my own personal experience, having insisted on attempting a nvd with my singleton breech son, going into labour and eventually needing a c/s, many of the arguments put forward by my Cons in favour of a c section for my breech singleton apply to twin 2 - but you have to give birth to twin 1 first! This is a risk too far in my view. If I'm honest, I'm also pretty scared of the thought of a nvd and I know that c sections are not as scarey as they might seem.

Me 41, DP 42
DS 11/06 (clomid)
Mm/c of natural pg 03/08
1st IVF 02/09 (ectopic)
cs booked for 20/04/10

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE