You are not logged in.

Unread posts ~

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Flic

• "Flic" started this thread
  • Italy Poland

Reg: May 8th 2008

Children: Had my first daughter on 25th February 2010!

What's Up?
Stressed.

Thursday, October 15th 2009, 8:51pm

Swine Flu Vaccine

Hello,

Not sure if this is in the right place so please move it if its not.

Just been watching the news and was shocked to learn that 2 women, one 17 and one 21, both pg have died from swine flu. They also had no other medical problems.

They are now (according to the news) saying that pregnant women should have the new vaccine which they are starting to give out next week.

What does everyone think about it? Is it something I should go for just in case? Should I give it a miss? Will my GP or Midwife contact me or do I have to contact them?

Its all so complicated this pregnancy thing!!

Our miracle was born on 25.02.2010!!

Reg: Jul 3rd 2007

Children: Apr 2009- Suprise Natural BFP!!!

Friday, October 16th 2009, 8:28am

I'm really anxious about it. I was adamant I didn't want it until I saw these 2 women had died. I just want to know what the risks associated with the vacine are- I mean how widely wwas it tested on pregnant women, do we know how it may affect the baby?

I know things have moved on- and I may be a bit ignorant of the finer details- but I keep thinking about thalidomide (excuse spelling) being offered as an anti morning sickness drug... and looked what happened there!

What are other people going to do?

D x
[/align]

Flic

• Italy Poland

What's Up?
Stressed.

Friday, October 16th 2009, 9:13am

Thats exactly it Dilly, all we're told is to have it, we're not told anything else (so far).

JENSQUI

Megastar

Reg: Feb 26th 2007

Children: one very special daughter

Friday, October 16th 2009, 9:34am

This has to be your decision Flic - none of us can really tell you whether or not it is something you should go for.

My midwife has not mentioned anything about it to me (and I saw her on Tuesday). Personally, even if it is offered, I won't be having it...but that is my personal decision.

I had a bad cold a few weeks ago and it took me over 2 weeks to recover. This was a bit of a shock as I NEVER get colds so I can tell that my immune system is suppressed. However, I still don;t find myself concerned about swine flu. Yes people have died, yes, pregnant women have died but it is still true that the majority of people who catch swine flu do not end up seriously ill.

xx

me 38, DP 44, ttc since 2005
BFP May 07 - HB seen @ 8 wks but CRL only 7 weeks, m/c @ 9 wks
BFP Jan 08 -m/c @ 11 wks (D&C)
BFP Jun 08 - early loss
BFP Dec 08 - HB & CRL ok @ 8 wks, but sac too small, m/c @ 9 wks
BFP Apr 09 - Martha born 9th Jan 2010
BFP Feb 12 - Eliza born 13th Oct 2012

Flic

• Italy Poland

What's Up?
Stressed.

Friday, October 16th 2009, 9:44am

Thats my dilema Jen, I just wish they would give a bit more information. Maybe the midwife will mention it.

I'm not overly concerned about swine flu but I just would like some more information about the vaccine, basically what Dilly said.

Sorry you've been ill by the way honey.

JENSQUI

Megastar

Friday, October 16th 2009, 9:56am

have a look on the internet Flic - loads of information there about the testing of the vaccine, etc.

I could be wrong, but I can't imagine your MW saying any more than the vaccine has been proved to be safe on pregnant women.

xx

BFP Jun 08 - early loss

Flic

• Italy Poland

What's Up?
Stressed.

Friday, October 16th 2009, 11:25am

Thanks Jen, I had a look on the NHS website yesterday but there wasn't much about it. Will have a google!

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Friday, October 16th 2009, 11:33am

I can't offer any advice about the vaccine (sorry) but don't forget that the reason the vaccine is being offered to certain groups of people is because they have a lower immune system, for whatever reason.

There are lots of ways to boost your immune system and therefore help you to ward off flu 'and' help your body to deal with it if you come into contact with it. It's worth checking out immune system boosting supplements (which are safe to take in pregnancy), which foods can improve your immune system and how you can gear up your body to ward off illnesses in general. Most of you will be taking a vitamin supplement and eating well anyway so you're probably already doing more than most of us!

Reg: Feb 25th 2009

Children: Alexander (March 2010) - the result of ICSI at Hammersmith

Friday, October 16th 2009, 11:50am

It's a difficult choice and I find I flip back and forth on whether or not to have it... I have asthma as well, so I'm high risk in two ways, so I think maybe I'd be an idiot not to have it. If I get Swine Flu - I (and my baby!) could be at serious risk. But then again, I hardly ever get sick and I recover pretty quickly, so even with a supressed immune system, should I really worry? I am fit and healthy and my baby is doing just fine. I don't want to do anything that interfers with that.

God - it's a nightmare! Which way to jump?!

I have my 20 week scan on Thursday and will hopefully see a midwife after that, so I guess I will ask then. I currently have to take anti-histimines for all my allegies and doc said they ARE safe because many pregnant women have had to take them and all has been fine, but that they haven't been clinically tested on pregnant women - because, funnily enough - not many pregnant women join the queue to be tested!! I would imagine it's the same with Swine Flu vacine? I mean, you just wouldn't volunteer to be tested - no matter what was on offer, would you?! Not when pregnant!

Anyway - let me know what you decide Flic, and I'll do the same. Just nice to know what others have decided....

Sarah xxx
May09:ICSI-sperm issues
Jul09: BFP! DS born Mar10
Jan12: ICSI-LOR-BFP-lost at 3 days
May12: looking 4 donor eggs

Reg: Jun 7th 2009

Children: 2 daughters - 16 and 13.

Friday, October 16th 2009, 11:59am

I would be interested to see how many pregnant women have had swine flu and not died. I think this whole thing has been blown out of proportion, plus it wasnt tested properly before being rolled out.

I wont be having it, as I already had swine flu a couple of months ago. And Bells is right, there are plenty of ways to protect yourself.

I think the only thing you can do is find out as much as possible about how it has been tested etc and then make an informed decision.
1st IVF cycle September 09 - :BFP:09th October 2009! - Due 17th June 2010!

[zx115] 1 healthy heartbeat seen on 29th October [zx115]

JENSQUI

Megastar

Friday, October 16th 2009, 12:01pm

hmmmm, if I had asthma I think I would be more tempted to have the vaccine.

Don't quote me on this, but I think I read in the news yesterday that 25% of the people with serious complications form swine flu had asthma (6% of people with serious complications were pregnant).
Vaccine is now licensed for use on pregnant women and WHO have recently changed their statement on it to endorse it.

When not pg, I am the same as you and hardly ever get sick and recover very quickly....which is why the cold I had a few weeks ago and how slowly it took me to bounce back surprised me (BUT I did bounce back and although ill for me was probably still only at normal man flu-like illness levels!). I eat very healthily and get at least 7 fruit & veg portions a day so not really sure I can do much more to boost my immune system (other than stop working and rest more :snigger:).

xxx

BFP Jun 08 - early loss

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Friday, October 16th 2009, 12:06pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Sez140
I currently have to take anti-histimines for all my allegies and doc said they ARE safe because many pregnant women have had to take them and all has been fine, but that they haven't been clinically tested on pregnant women - because, funnily enough - not many pregnant women join the queue to be tested!!

That's the same with loads of drugs. You can't (usually) walk into a chemist and buy pile cream if you're pregnant because your pharmacist may want you to get a note from your GP to cover him. If you have thrush you can't buy the Canesten tablet then there are morning sickness tablets, coldsore creams, cough sweets.... and lots of other drugs state that you should consult your GP before you take them. There's no problem with the drug but the companies who sell them need a licence to sell them to pregnant people, the testing and licencing proceedure is lengthy, expensive and it's not ethical to test anything on a pregnant woman so the blanket advice on the packet is often that these things aren't suitable.

A vaccine should logically be a tiny amount of the flu you're trying to avoid so ... logically thinking (a rare thing for me!) it's not going to be the same as something like thalidomide which was a formulated drug. I think there's always a risk with any vaccine but the choice is 'does the benefit outweigh the risk'. It's a choice you'll all have to make when you take your babies to have their MMR and boosters.

Flic

• Italy Poland

What's Up?
Stressed.

Friday, October 16th 2009, 3:22pm

Oh Bells!!! I never even thought about the MMR vaccine!!! :snigger:

There is so much to consider. I'm asthmatic too Sarah but I only have a ventolin inhaler just in case, I don't take anything to control it as its quite mild. However when I get ill I get really ill.

Let me know what they say at your scan about it as I don't have mine until 27th and not seeing midwife until 24th November!!

I will probably try to discuss it with the midwife at some point and get her (or his cos there's a male midwife) views on it.

I already take the pregnacare multivitamin so hopefully this should help a bit.

Hmmmmm, pregnancy is hard enough without extra decisions to make!!

JENSQUI

Megastar

Tuesday, October 20th 2009, 1:11pm

nothing new in this article, but is laid out for a comprehensive read:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2…flu-vaccination

** post contains external link not endorsed by FZ **

BFP Jun 08 - early loss

Reg: Nov 14th 2008

Tuesday, October 20th 2009, 4:01pm

I havn't really heard anything about this.

As you can see I'm overdue now so it's not an issue me having the vacination now, but are women being offered the jab after the birth as our immune system is low ???

My sister is frightening me about it and I'm not sure if what she is telling me is true.

Tracy x

Flic

• Italy Poland

What's Up?
Stressed.

Tuesday, October 20th 2009, 4:10pm

Hello,

I think they will be, I'd speak to your midwife.

JENSQUI

Megastar

Tuesday, October 20th 2009, 4:24pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Trikstar30
but are women being offered the jab after the birth as our immune system is low ???

Only people in the high-risk groups are being offered the vaccine to begin with. I could be wrong, but I don't think that women who have just given birth are classed as being in the high risk group. Unless, of course, you are in that group because of some other reason, e.g. asthma, diabetes.

xx

BFP Jun 08 - early loss

mrsjasper

Megastar

Reg: Nov 2nd 2005

Children: 2 gorgeous girls

Tuesday, October 20th 2009, 8:11pm

Can I give you a bit of background about the flu vaccine? Every year there is an annual flu vaccine offered to at risk groups which includes the over 65s and people with certain health conditions that make them more vulnerable to the complications of flu, whether or not to include pregnant women in this group ois often discussed by the DoH and other experts. The reason the vaccine is offered annually is that the virus mutates annually to keep itself alive. So the flu virus travels around the globe and mutates, the World Health Organisation watch it mutate and predict what it is likely to look like when it reaches us and the vaccine is manufactured to prevent that particular strain of the flu virus. So every year, there is a new vaccine. It takes the drug manufactureres a matter of around 8-9 weeks to produce the vaccine every year which is a phenomenal achievement. So the swine flu virus has been produced under the same conditions with the advantage that this time we know what the virus looks like, rather than just using a prediction.

The way a vaccine like this one works is to use a small amount of the virus which has been killed. The body recognises it and produces antibodies to it in the same way that it does to the live virus, but because the virus in the vaccine is dead, it is impossible to contract flu from it. Whilst your body produces antibodies, you quite often feel a bit unwell and have a slight temperature.

IMO the swine flu vaccine is as safe as any other flu vaccine and certainly a lot safer than contracting swine flu. If it I was pregnant, I would have it without any worries. I know its easy for me to say but I had last years annual flu vaccine whilst pregnant so I did put my money where my mouth is. And my baby is fine, no ill effects as a result. When giving a vacicne, or indeed any drug to a pregnant woman, the benefits and risks have to be weighed up. In this case IMO the benefits of having the vaccine far outweigh the risks.

Reg: Feb 11th 2009

Children: none

Wednesday, October 21st 2009, 8:05am

Swine Flu Jab

Hi all

Just listening to the news today re the injections, going out to hospital workers and sick people then next week onwards to pregnant women. I'm really in two minds about this one, as they where saying on sky news, that it hasn't been yet tested on children or pregnant women, but they are still saying that it is safe!!!...

What are other people thoughts about this, at the moment all that I have been through can I afford to have the jab and something happens to my baby???....

Tracey
Me 39 DH 38 Unexplained Fertility
1st IUI 27th January BFN ( Had a bad insemination) :BFN:
2nd IUI 28th aug :BFP:

BethK

Reg: Oct 2nd 2009

Wednesday, October 21st 2009, 8:54am

Think there's a thread about this in General Pregnancy Chat, you may want to see what they've said about it over there too.

Personally i don't think i'm going to have it. If i had asthma or something i would probably have it.

Miscarriage December 05
Laparoscopy & Hysteroscopy show damaged tubes
6 months Chlomid, BFN's
ICSI March 09 - 2 day 3 embies transferred - BFN
ICSI September 09 - 1 day 5 blastocyst transfered - BFP! Please please stay!
1 Blastocyst frozen

JENSQUI

Megastar

Wednesday, October 21st 2009, 10:14am

Quoted

Originally posted by mrsjasper
Can I give you a bit of background about the flu vaccine? Every year there is an annual flu vaccine offered to at risk groups which includes the over 65s and people with certain health conditions that make them more vulnerable to the complications of flu, whether or not to include pregnant women in this group ois often discussed by the DoH and other experts. The reason the vaccine is offered annually is that the virus mutates annually to keep itself alive. So the flu virus travels around the globe and mutates, the World Health Organisation watch it mutate and predict what it is likely to look like when it reaches us and the vaccine is manufactured to prevent that particular strain of the flu virus. So every year, there is a new vaccine. It takes the drug manufactureres a matter of around 8-9 weeks to produce the vaccine every year which is a phenomenal achievement. So the swine flu virus has been produced under the same conditions with the advantage that this time we know what the virus looks like, rather than just using a prediction.

The way a vaccine like this one works is to use a small amount of the virus which has been killed. The body recognises it and produces antibodies to it in the same way that it does to the live virus, but because the virus in the vaccine is dead, it is impossible to contract flu from it. Whilst your body produces antibodies, you quite often feel a bit unwell and have a slight temperature.

IMO the swine flu vaccine is as safe as any other flu vaccine and certainly a lot safer than contracting swine flu. If it I was pregnant, I would have it without any worries. I know its easy for me to say but I had last years annual flu vaccine whilst pregnant so I did put my money where my mouth is. And my baby is fine, no ill effects as a result. When giving a vacicne, or indeed any drug to a pregnant woman, the benefits and risks have to be weighed up. In this case IMO the benefits of having the vaccine far outweigh the risks.

Can I ask a question please Mrs J? Is it true that the swine flu vaccine which will be offered (Pandemrix, I believe) contains a tiny amount of thiomersal, which the normal flu vaccines don't?
And that it is usually recommended to not give any vaccines containing thiomersal to pregnant women (although I understand it has not been proven to be harmful to pregnant women or children)?

thanks!

BFP Jun 08 - early loss

pamelag088

Superstar

Reg: Oct 20th 2008

Children: tj born 20/11/09

Wednesday, October 21st 2009, 10:26am

I wont be taking the vaccine.

I dont even like taking paracetamol while Iv been pregnant and no matter how much Iv wanted whippy ice-cream(ok being silly now) I just cant risk anything to my baby.

I know they say its safe but how can they be sure, Im sure they thought Thalidomide was safe too and Im just too scared to take that risk

Reg: Jul 27th 2008

Children: IVF/ICSI miracle born 06 Jan 2010

Wednesday, October 21st 2009, 11:19am

Dont think i will be taking the vaccine (despite mild asthma - which i dont take anything for) as felt guilty even taking 1 anti sickness tablet and im not prone to colds and flu.

There have been no tests done on pg women (obviously) and they only way it can be proved safe is to 'see what happens', i just dont want to be a guinea pig.

The only testing they may have done is to see if there is any effect on the feotus's of rats (only animal used in general testing with a gestational term short enough to test so quickly), im guessing these tests showed no abnormalities. You just cant test on a pg woman, for 1 they would never agree to it

Dont get me wrong, im pro vaccine and have worked in drug testing for several years so know whats involved, and my child will get all vaccines going (including MMR) but this has not been proven safe in pg women yet.

in saying that if the version they want to give out has the same carrier constituents as seasonal vaccines which have been used in pg women for years with no adverse effects (i have read varying reports so unsure), then i would think differently, esp if i worked with the public or was prone to cold and flu, in that case i prob would have it (as despite what i have written above i do have a good level of trust in the pharma industry)

TTC 4 yrs
Me - 32 yrs, DH - 32 yrs
clomid then IVF

1st IVF Apr 09 :BFP: bab21

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Wednesday, October 21st 2009, 2:42pm

Nothing at all to do with swine flu but one point....

Quoted

Originally posted by pamelag088

no matter how much Iv wanted whippy ice-cream(ok being silly now) I just cant risk anything to my baby.

It's absolutely fine to eat whippy ice cream. In the olden days folks used to make homemade ice cream with raw egg whites whipped in... to make it fluffy! Nowadays every single commercial ice cream contains pasteurised egg and they make it whippy with machines.

Go have an ice cream! :D

JENSQUI

Megastar

Wednesday, October 21st 2009, 3:08pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Bells
Nothing at all to do with swine flu but one point....

Quoted

Originally posted by pamelag088

no matter how much Iv wanted whippy ice-cream(ok being silly now) I just cant risk anything to my baby.

It's absolutely fine to eat whippy ice cream. In the olden days folks used to make homemade ice cream with raw egg whites whipped in... to make it fluffy! Nowadays every single commercial ice cream contains pasteurised egg and they make it whippy with machines.

Go have an ice cream! :D

I always thought the recommendation to avoid whippy ice cream was because of the machines ?( Because they are difficult to clean thoroughly and so nasties like Listeria are more likely to lurk in them and contaminate the ice-cream? I would imagine the risk is super tiny though!

BFP Jun 08 - early loss

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Wednesday, October 21st 2009, 3:13pm

Yes indeed, you would want to choose a nice clean place if it was coming from a machine, probably not your local scruffy ice cream man (ours is absolutely dreadful!!). The soft scoop and whipped ice creams at the supermarket are fine. Lots of women still believe that any and all ice cream and mayo are no-nos in pregnancy because of the egg thing. Wouldn't want Pammy missing out on all that frozen creamy goodness :D

Reg: Mar 28th 2009

Children: 2 boys

Wednesday, October 21st 2009, 3:16pm

i usually have the 'normal' flu vaccine as im a carer but i wont be this year. as for the swine flu--i think its been rushed through a bit quick for it to be deemed 'safe' esp.in early pregnancy ?( i was chatting to the pharmacist last weeek and he said he wont be having it (hes athsmatic) as he doesnt feel its beeen tested enough..

as for mr.whippy ice cream i was always told not to have it , mcflurrys and their milkshakes not because of the raw egg but because its never actually frozen and can contain nasties. never refreeze melted ice cream either.....

Flic

• Italy Poland

What's Up?
Stressed.

Wednesday, October 21st 2009, 3:48pm

Hi everyone,

Ok, so I'm still undecided. In one way I think its just another flu jab but then in another it does scare me a bit! Lots of people die from normal flu but its just not all over the telly.

And with regards to eggs - My Nana was telling me that in Italy they give pg women RAW EGGS to give them energy!!! How gross!!!

pamelag088

Superstar

Reg: Oct 20th 2008

Children: tj born 20/11/09

Wednesday, October 21st 2009, 5:01pm

OMG your telling me Iv resisted all those cornetto mcflurrys for nothing :bawl:

Flic

• Italy Poland

What's Up?
Stressed.

Wednesday, October 21st 2009, 5:05pm

Get yourself an ice cream love!!! And quick!!!

mrsjasper

Megastar

Wednesday, October 21st 2009, 8:16pm

Quoted

Originally posted by JENSQUI
Can I ask a question please Mrs J? Is it true that the swine flu vaccine which will be offered (Pandemrix, I believe) contains a tiny amount of thiomersal, which the normal flu vaccines don't?
And that it is usually recommended to not give any vaccines containing thiomersal to pregnant women (although I understand it has not been proven to be harmful to pregnant women or children)?

thanks!

Yes, apparently pandemrix does contain thiomersal as a preservative. There is an alternative called celvapen made by a company called Baxter. It seems that the nationwide programme is going to use the pandemrix though (made by GSK). If you want to go for the thiomersal free then you could ask your GP for a prescription for the other one, a pharmacist would usually be able to get hold of it. I'm afraid I can't access the DoH info on thiomersal containing vaccines from home, we don't have the software to open their documents, and I'm still on mat leave so I can't check it out at work. I'm sure a pharmacist or your GP could find out for you though.

Reg: Mar 28th 2009

Children: 2 boys

Thursday, October 22nd 2009, 6:42pm

?(spoke 2 my mw today about the s.flu jab and she said basically its your choice and although it HAS been tested it has NOT been tested on PREGNANT WOMEN. the doctor will not give a pregnant lady the seasonal flu jab as it can harm the unborn child.....so why will they give this one so freely when it hasnt been tested on pregnant people? ?(

confusicated

Barbara

Reg: Aug 8th 2009

Friday, October 23rd 2009, 1:46pm

mmmm.... soooo confused! :innocent: I am a frontline hospital worker & am being offered a vaccine next week at work. I am TTC and currently undergoing IUI with pregnyl & Hcg... have no idea if the vaccine will have any effect on my treatment... dont want to mess it up as only have 2 more cycles left to try. But my chance of getting swine flu is raised due to the nature of my work........ everyone at work seems to think we should have it... what to do what to do???? ?( ?( ?(
B

mrsjasper

Megastar

Sunday, October 25th 2009, 3:09pm

Quoted

Originally posted by poppit26
the doctor will not give a pregnant lady the seasonal flu jab as it can harm the unborn child.....

Sorry but this is completely untrue. Please read my earlier post in this thread about the annual flu vaccine. I had it during my last pregnancy and my baby is fine. It isn't licensed during prenancy but the majority of drugs aren't due to the difficulties getting ethical approval to test a drug on a pregnant woman. A vaccine is just a way of exposing someone to a virus in a controlled way. Think about how many viruses you are exposed to whilst sitting in the doctors waiting room for your routine midwife appointments, on a bus, walking round the shops etc... Your body copes and you produce antibodies to the ones you haven't met before. In some ways a vaccine is a lot safer than this.

Flic

• Italy Poland

What's Up?
Stressed.

Sunday, October 25th 2009, 3:25pm

So basically the vaccine will expose you to a small amount of the 'dead' swine flu and your body reacts to it by creating antibodies to fight it, so then if you do catch it your body already has produced the anitbodies required to fight the virus.

Is that right??

mrsjasper

Megastar

Sunday, October 25th 2009, 3:30pm

Yes, thats exactly it.

Flic

• Italy Poland

What's Up?
Stressed.

Sunday, October 25th 2009, 3:35pm

So then 'technically speaking' the swine flu jab should be safe during pregnancy as it just causes your body to make more antibodies to protect you. And I'm guessing that these antibodies that you make won't do anything to the baby but will protect you from the complications of swine flu, which I'm also guessing will be worse if caught when pg due to your immune system being low anyway???

Also its better to just have a little bit of swine flu put into you in a controlled way while you are well (because I'm assuming they won't give it to you if you're ill or got cold etc) rather than catch it and get a massive dose of it when your body isn't prepared for it??

Reg: Jan 25th 2009

Children: No but our time will come!!

Tuesday, October 27th 2009, 10:47am

Swine Flu Jab

Good Morning

Need some advice and what thoughts other people have about taking this swine flu jab?? I am 10 weeks pregnant and just spoken to my doctors today and they will be writing to me soon about coming in for a chat and having the jab!!! Will any of you be happy to take it??? Need help to decide what to do.

Thank you xxxx

BFN June 08
bfp Feb 09
mc

JENSQUI

Megastar

Tuesday, October 27th 2009, 10:49am

RE: Swine Flu Jab

already an extensive thread on this topic:

New Swine Flu Vaccine

xx

BFP Jun 08 - early loss

Flic

• Italy Poland

What's Up?
Stressed.

Tuesday, October 27th 2009, 11:55am

Hello again!

I heard on the news yesterday that there are 2 different vaccines. The normal one which is the one with some ingredient in it that pg women should avoid and another one which they are using in America which doesn't contain this ingredient, difference is that the second one requires 2 jabs 3 weeks apart.

Anyone else heard anything on this?

JENSQUI

Megastar

Tuesday, October 27th 2009, 11:57am

Yes, Flic, already covered in tis post:

Quoted

Originally posted by mrsjasper

Quoted

Originally posted by JENSQUI

thanks!

Yes, apparently pandemrix does contain thiomersal as a preservative. There is an alternative called celvapen made by a company called Baxter. It seems that the nationwide programme is going to use the pandemrix though (made by GSK). If you want to go for the thiomersal free then you could ask your GP for a prescription for the other one, a pharmacist would usually be able to get hold of it. I'm afraid I can't access the DoH info on thiomersal containing vaccines from home, we don't have the software to open their documents, and I'm still on mat leave so I can't check it out at work. I'm sure a pharmacist or your GP could find out for you though.

xx

BFP Jun 08 - early loss

Flic

• Italy Poland

What's Up?
Stressed.

Tuesday, October 27th 2009, 12:00pm

Sorry Jen, I knew it was somewhere and I heard it on the news again!!

I'll have to ask the GP about it when I go sometime.

Also I didn't realise that if you have the jab you pass the antibodies to baby too so baby is protected which is a plus.

Naledi

Reg: Jul 31st 2009

Children: Chiltern

Tuesday, October 27th 2009, 1:58pm

Swine Flu Vaccination

Hey Guys

I am 11 weeks and I am in a dilema about what to do regarding the Swine Flu jab.
I am reluctant to take it cos you don't know the possible side effects on your unborn baby but on the other hand the complications arising from the Swine Flu are pretty serious as well

What are you guys going to do? Have it or take your chances and try to stay as healthy as possible??

Boy from the moment you embark on this fantastic journey to becoming a Mother you just don't stop worrying!!!

JENSQUI

Megastar

Tuesday, October 27th 2009, 2:04pm

RE: Swine Flu Vaccination

popular topic!

already being discussed in this thread: New Swine Flu Vaccine

good luck with your decision
xx

BFP Jun 08 - early loss

Reg: May 1st 2008

Children: I'm going to be a mum :) fingers crossed!

Tuesday, October 27th 2009, 2:20pm

X(
Hi, funny enough i have a chap at work who has informed us that his wife and son have swine flu!!! he is sniffing all over the place!! i rung my mw she said to keep away from him, esp if he gets a high temp x
bab10 bab11

Tilly and Samuel born 2.2.10 bab21 bab22

IVF May 2009 BFP

JENSQUI

Megastar

Tuesday, October 27th 2009, 2:27pm

speak to your employer bettyboop. I know that my manager would be likely to send me home under the circumstances!

BFP Jun 08 - early loss

Bry

Star

Reg: Mar 25th 2009

Children: Twins born in may 2010!

Wednesday, October 28th 2009, 12:15pm

I am still very confused about this! X( My clinic have said not to have it cos it's a live vaccine but everything i have read says it's NOT a live vaccine... :rolleyes:

Popped into my local surgery and they have suggested seeing a GP tomorrow so i'll let you know what they say.

Am only 5+2 preg but am also on a high dose of steroids so my immune system is doubly suppressed. I am also a teacher so will be in contact with lots of germs!!!

My Diary - Bry and the Flumps!

1st IVF March 09 :BFP: mm/c at 9 weeks :bawl:
2nd IVF Oct 09 :BFP: [zx076] [zx076]

Bry

Star

Thursday, October 29th 2009, 11:23am

Ok so the GP says it is definitely NOT a live vaccine. There are 2 different versions of the vaccine and only one is licensed for pregnant women. He says i should have it becaouse of the lowered immunity (from both preg and the steroids) and because i will be likely to come into contact with it because of my job... I've pretty much made my mind up and think I will have it when they call me in. I can't really see any reason why not! :happy:

JENSQUI

Megastar

Thursday, October 29th 2009, 11:33am

went past my GP's surgery yesterday. Was amused to see a big sign on the door saying that they don't have any swine flu vaccine yet and expect it to be at least 4 weeks before they receive any. They then had a list of groups who would then be called, in priority order. Pregnant women were second on the list.

So, as I suspected, I am likely to have given birth before even being asked if I want it!

BFP Jun 08 - early loss

Bry

Star

Thursday, October 29th 2009, 12:10pm

Well i was told they don't even know when they will get it but it won't be long! What does that even mean! :snigger:

I'll probably catch it in the meantime anyway!